Making Big Money With Only 5 rai And Rainfed.

well we make money from our pigs,,,,,,

anhyone want to call me a lier,,,,???

oink

jake,,,lol

Nope. But I'm curious. How many pigs and how much money? And how much does it cost to earn that?

Sounds the sort of question a tax inspector might ask.whistling.gif

Sent from my SM-T315T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Chinese from Singapore and English is not even my 1st language in school...(my choice in school, we get to choose back then in the 80s)...

Like Jake. Please excuse my pronunciation and grammar... biggrin.png

im english,,

i just cane spell or gramer,,

dyslectic,, so i do have an excuse,,lol

but it hasnt done me no harm,ive still got along ok,

i might not be able to post as much just starting my rotation in iraq,,

have fun boys and keep it kleen

and as for the questions you asked canada,,

these are all the thing i had to learn when i first started to farm, how much to pay for pigs, how much to pay for feed , who to sell them too, what happens if they dont buy from me, do i have another buyer lines up, can i suplement my feed cost,,, ram,, no good,,, corn can i get that at a good price and store it by the ton,,

then medication,, wow will i need a vet,, yes, who, were, when how much,,

some of the vet jobs i can do myself, injection iron to the young ones, b12 to the poor growers,, worming,, many many things,,

and believe me i could write lots more that you have to learn,,,

did you see it,,,,,,,, i said YOU have to learn,

you my friend lost all my respect on this forumn, and from me your on your own,,

i hope you have luck in what you finally find that you want to farm,,

jake

I'm a Chinese from Singapore and English is not even my 1st language in school...(my choice in school, we get to choose back then in the 80s)...

Like Jake. Please excuse my pronunciation and grammar... biggrin.png

im english,,

i just cane spell or gramer,,

dyslectic,, so i do have an excuse,,lol

but it hasnt done me no harm,ive still got along ok,

i might not be able to post as much just starting my rotation in iraq,,

have fun boys and keep it kleen

and as for the questions you asked canada,,

these are all the thing i had to learn when i first started to farm, how much to pay for pigs, how much to pay for feed , who to sell them too, what happens if they dont buy from me, do i have another buyer lines up, can i suplement my feed cost,,, ram,, no good,,, corn can i get that at a good price and store it by the ton,,

then medication,, wow will i need a vet,, yes, who, were, when how much,,

some of the vet jobs i can do myself, injection iron to the young ones, b12 to the poor growers,, worming,, many many things,,

and believe me i could write lots more that you have to learn,,,

did you see it,,,,,,,, i said YOU have to learn,

you my friend lost all my respect on this forumn, and from me your on your own,,

i hope you have luck in what you finally find that you want to farm,,

jake

Hi jake.im not taking sides here but I think mr bulohorn was not insulting you.

I had piggery in phillipines 15 years ago.

Wow you are right,. A lot to learn.Tropical pippery is very different to western piggery.

Cheers cobbler

We are good, we talk to each other and just have to get to know his writing style and look pass some spelling typo. thumbsup.gif

No he wasn't referring to me on the lower paragraph, it was meant for someone else.

well we make money from our pigs,,,,,,

anhyone want to call me a lier,,,,???

jake,,,lol

Nope. But I'm curious. How many pigs and how much money? And how much does it cost to earn that?

This thread has descended into mud slinging (yes I am guilty as well) rather than sharing information which is what forums are for.

I want to save people from thinking that farming is a simple easy money job. It is not. There are more threads on how much people have lost in farming here than there are success stories. It is possible to make money from farming in Thailand but the most important thing is knowledge. If you have done your homework and worked how much you can make then half your expectation for all the things you did not think about. Too much rain not enough rain, theft, pests and diseases to name a few problems.

All crops earn similar amounts of nett profit per Rai Market forces dictate this otherwise every one would only grow the highest earning crop. There are some exceptions to this of course.

Farm gate prices across the entire country vary by only a very small percentage. Again a small + or – depending on quality. If there was a price difference of 15 baht a kilo that would be 15,000 baht per ton. Cost of transport would be less than this. For example a canning factory is not going to pay the extra because there are none available in a particular area. They will transport them in if from the other end of the country if they have to.

Ask yourself this why would any big buyer pay more than the than the normal rate. Just does not make sense.

My late father was a farmer and had approx. 500 Rai in England. I think farmers in England earn more than Thai farmers so just think how much he could have earned if the OP figures are correct. (Yes I know nobody grows pineapples in England) He worked 365 days a year. Sunday was a half day only 6 hours. Harvest time would be 16 hour days, weather permitting. Never went out picked a few baskets of fruit and then took 3 days off.

Another point if you want to earn money the profits are related to the amount of investment. You cannot invest 1 million baht and produce an income of 500,000 baht per year.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to get into the farming game. Good luck to those that are going to give it a try.

Pigeonjake...

I don't give a rat's ass how much respect I have lost or earned in your eyes.

I share what I know on this forum (which isn't much) when or if I can. I've learned a lot in the last few years (on my own) and taken my own lumps in this learning experience. I'd be happy to help anyone who wants to know about sugarcane farming. It's all I know at the moment.

RBH started this <deleted> with a condescending post and flat out insulting comments in another thread, and he brought it to this thread.

You go ahead and back up the guy that started it all. I'll stick to calling shit shit.

Who knew a pineapple could cause this much grief.!

OK folks, this is the FARMING forum, one of the nicest & helpful places (usually) to be on Thaivisa.

The OP offered information that HE beleives & HE thinks is helpful to the forum.

YOU have a choice to beleve the claims or not, if you were to start a pineapple farm one would hope that YOU did the neccesary research to ensure it was profitable.

So there is no need to get nasty with each other over it.

Please tone it down & keep it civilised going forward.

Thanks

Boo

This thread has descended into mud slinging (yes I am guilty as well) rather than sharing information which is what forums are for.

I want to save people from thinking that farming is a simple easy money job. It is not. There are more threads on how much people have lost in farming here than there are success stories. It is possible to make money from farming in Thailand but the most important thing is knowledge. If you have done your homework and worked how much you can make then half your expectation for all the things you did not think about. Too much rain not enough rain, theft, pests and diseases to name a few problems.

All crops earn similar amounts of nett profit per Rai Market forces dictate this otherwise every one would only grow the highest earning crop. There are some exceptions to this of course.

Farm gate prices across the entire country vary by only a very small percentage. Again a small + or – depending on quality. If there was a price difference of 15 baht a kilo that would be 15,000 baht per ton. Cost of transport would be less than this. For example a canning factory is not going to pay the extra because there are none available in a particular area. They will transport them in if from the other end of the country if they have to.

Ask yourself this why would any big buyer pay more than the than the normal rate. Just does not make sense.

My late father was a farmer and had approx. 500 Rai in England. I think farmers in England earn more than Thai farmers so just think how much he could have earned if the OP figures are correct. (Yes I know nobody grows pineapples in England) He worked 365 days a year. Sunday was a half day only 6 hours. Harvest time would be 16 hour days, weather permitting. Never went out picked a few baskets of fruit and then took 3 days off.

Another point if you want to earn money the profits are related to the amount of investment. You cannot invest 1 million baht and produce an income of 500,000 baht per year.

Ho grow different crope this helps anyone wanting to get into the farming game. Good luck to those that are going to give it a try.

the difference with farming crops in the uk is that you had rotation and can grow crops at different times of the year,

potatoes, carrots, then onto winter wheet and barley, you are using the land all the time, making it work for you, thats why more profit,

in thailand most of the land is only used for 1 crop of rice, 3 months so for 9 months its just sat there with the odd boney cow grazing on it,,

jake

Just to add some information... There is this thing called "Local speciality", for an example, in Singapore and Malaysia, it is Durian and Mangosteen...in Thailand's provinces apply the same, like the famous Southern provinces...Their famous Bananas (กล้วยใต้ or กล้วยไข่) that fetches a handsome retail price...Then you have the Strawberries of Mae Sai which distribution and sales are a hit in Chiang Mai province. As for Pineapples, in Chiang Rai... The noble ones are Nang Lae and Phu Lae pineapples varieties...

We get to eat the favorable Southern Bananas in the North (and nationwide)... Thanks to middlemen, marketing...and advance technology... The internet.

It doesn't cost a bomb to air freight them across inter-provinces (among one of the references = Namsai farm dealing in fishes fingerlings) Nowadays I travel inter-provinces not on VIP coaches but domestic airlines like Airasia or Nokair.,. Depending of flight schedule. The last time I flew inter provinces direct, airfare was ฿990.- (promotion). After add ons was ฿1'200 + and in term of time saved. Forwarding by truck load are very reasonable too. I was once quoted ฿10'000 to transport homemade feed pellet to be transported from member Issan Aussie (wai.gif so sorry to reveal this) place in Issan to my place and it work out to be around ฿21/sack (20kg/sack).

We just need to do our research to find what is best for us and if it will work for us like how it worked out for the others in different provinces...

RBH, don't hold me to that transport cost now, God knows what it is currently over that distance.

The topic here is one we should be discussing more I believe, because it does effect most of us. There are not too many broad acre farmers among us, most are in the small holding segment and if we are to make any money, big (Thai definition) or small, we all know it is going to be hard work. Prices for our outputs will be what the local market can bear and will fluctuate, usually downwards unless we understand our market very well.

One thing we could discuss (more productively) would be input costs and methods. I am concentrating on producing as many inputs on farm these days as I can.

Just a thought...

Hope this helps anyone wanting to get into the farming game. Good luck to those that are going to give it a try.

Perfectly worded and very true.Well done.

Cheers Cobbler

I've paid 8 Baht per pineapple in Phuket, 5 Baht per pineapple in Kanchanaburi, 49 Baht per pineapple in Chiang Mai. This is the farming forum. Grow yourselves half a rai. Try it.

I've got 4 cu mt of catfish on the go. Pretty sure that RBH is gonna raise his prices sometime soon.....smile.png

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

to add to the pigs,chickens,duck and things on our 2 rai farm,

im just in the process of starting a feed shop,

we have a big 8x8 mtr barn, ive got a feed producer that will seel direct to me at a very good price,

and will make good profit, its took a long time to get a feed producer to sell direct to us,

i tried it with sunfeed to be told they had a dealer 20miles from me so i couldnt be there seller,

i told them ill find a producer and not only will you loose my custom but other small farmer round our village,

there loss,

jake

• 6 months later...

For the nay sayers. So you have an opinion which is fine. I have a hard time believing you have any idea what you are talking about.

If you are offended then please think about how you came across in your posts, because that is basically what you said. There are lots of reasons obvious to anyone actually farming that Thais aren't doing this all over the place with the 3 biggest being soil, climate, and difficulty of the work involved. The original post was meant for people who are actually interested in becoming farmers. It gives an idea and as always ideas deserve careful research and consideration.

If there is one thing that frustrates me on this forum it is the people who argue with someone's first hand knowledge or experience. These same people have such a low and misinformed view of Thais and there work ethic. If you don't think it is a good idea for you then don't do it. If you are interested, but have doubts, then get off your duff and take a drive.

The original post is exactly what should be on this forum.

Haha,i have 7 rai in Nanglae ,we grew pineapples on 6 rai of the land for 3 years,believe me its not easy work and many many hours are put into tending the plants,my wife and her family have grown pineapples for 30 years plus,so they know what the are doing and i have learned a a thing or 2 from them,it was some of hardest labour i have ever done, if its not the sun draining your energy,its the rain,making all the grass and many weeds come back nearly as quick as they are they are cut,if you hire labour to work the land-bang goes any profit you might have had.All the pineapple farmers in my village struggle to make a living and have to work other jobs make ends meet.So i do have first hand knowledge on this matter,so advice! Sap-bpa-rot-forget it as there is no profit.

No its not,Ok i did not tell the whole story,the parents have given up on the pineapples too,trying their luck with,cows,pigs,fish ponds and are now growing rice on a large part of the land,also occasional work when they can.many farmers in the village are also changing to another fruit()very recently and are hoping for a better return,look believe me their is no on in my Fairly famous PINEAPPLE village getting rich from these lovely tasting fruits,one well known local character(farang)had 20 rai of pineapples,he told me he had to stop as he was not making profit,he also changed changed to growing something else.look i could so much more about this subject but i think i have made quite clear,its not a good idea-good luck to people if they feel like giving it a go,but they will lose out!

No its not,Ok i did not tell the whole story,the parents have given up on the pineapples too,trying their luck with,cows,pigs,fish ponds and are now growing rice on a large part of the land,also occasional work when they can.many farmers in the village are also changing to another fruit()very recently and are hoping for a better return,look believe me their is no on in my Fairly famous PINEAPPLE village getting rich from these lovely tasting fruits,one well known local character(farang)had 20 rai of pineapples,he told me he had to stop as he was not making profit,he also changed changed to growing something else.look i could so much more about this subject but i think i have made quite clear,its not a good idea-good luck to people if they feel like giving it a go,but they will lose out!

Sorry the new fruit many are changing to is passion fruit,good luck to them.

• 7 months later...

The EM Farm in Saraburi have a "Exemple Farm in a size of 7 Rai"

30 % Rice

30 % Vegetable

30 % Fruittree

10 % House and Animal

And importend is to sell the think by the producer on the market.

i thought they had 10% down to water for dry season.

• 2 years later...

Um, after much deliberation about how many pineapples you can fit in a truck (in Thailand in particular) I have to say that I would conservatively estimate somewhere in the region of 10,000 pineapples. Obviously this might vary slightly, if the truck is particularly big maybe more. If the pineapples are pretty big you may be able to stack them higher.

Do you remember the first time you saw four thais on a motorbike and you shook your head. Then a week later you saw a family of eight on the same size bike? Same principle. 555.

Archived