Making Big Money With Only 5 rai And Rainfed.

Unbridled arrogance. Advice given hand in hand with contempt of others.

RBH. What you call big money is a joke. We are talking BAHT...not dollars. I couldn't get by on what you call big money.

I have never met anyone as openly arrogant as you. I would walk ten miles to buy something before I would borrow it from a neighbour like you.

You don't give advice to help people, you give it to "pump yourself up". Save it man. As one member said already, nauseating.

calm down pal,,,

1.6 bht is good money in thailand, you might be rich many on here arnt and would settle for 1.6million bht,

i still go to work and earn over 20,000bht a day, so you could say i earn BIG money as you call it,

but money isnt everything my friend,

im happier cleaning my pigs out then i am at work,,

lets all calm down and not turn the farming section into the same as some of the other sections on here,,

jake

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RBH I was delighted when you said previously that you would not comment further on this thread.

Although you of course have the right to change your mind you clearly are not someone to be trusted to do as they say.

Does that also apply to what you write?

As an aside and a flippant one so please do not take it seriously I find it amusing that you judge your neighbours on the quality of the whisky they drink when you yourself drink Lao Khoa! I suppose they feel sorry for you drinking crap while spying on them. :)

Looking at some of the "likes" that you people give out is funny.

I have noticed that people generally worship the person who has money, can make money, and openly flaunts that. I see it all over the place. I've seen people who I thought were reasonably intelligent people fall over themselves trying to kiss the ass of someone who has money. Having money seems to excuse the most bizarre behaviour and people generally applaud whatever the person who appears to have money does. The more bizarre, the more applause. Just plain weird if you ask me.

In another thread, RBH was out and out rude and condescending to me. I've done nothing to provoke that. He then goes on to insult me and then starts this thread with a sarcastic reference to me (taken in context of having just had a go at each other in the other thread.) And some of you guys applaud this behaviour?? He then makes an insincere apology, and again blames his behaviour on Lao Khao, in the other thread which gets yet more likes....

Yup. You gotta wonder what is up with the farming forum

Yes i did said i wouldn't post on my topic anymore but i couldn't resist the last post before Jake so much hence my reappearing post. LOL...:P

As for the lao khao comment, you are just been childish. My past career involved drinking all the expensive liqours in the night establishment group i managed. I had enough of the expensive stuff at 40°c alc...so i upgraded to the raw 50°c alc....Narrr...this is just too deep for you comprehens.....

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have noticed that people generally worship the person who has money, can make money, and openly flaunts that. I see it all over the place. I've seen people who I thought were reasonably intelligent people fall over themselves trying to kiss the ass of someone who has money. Having money seems to excuse the most bizarre behaviour and people generally applaud whatever the person who appears to have money does. The more bizarre, the more applause. Just plain weird if you ask me.

In another thread, RBH was out and out rude and condescending to me. I've done nothing to provoke that. He then goes on to insult me and then starts this thread with a sarcastic reference to me (taken in context of having just had a go at each other in the other thread.) And some of you guys applaud this behaviour?? He then makes an insincere apology, and again blames his behaviour on Lao Khao, in the other thread which gets yet more likes....

I think i will skip on this and let the clear sighted people beside the chess game you have just insulted do the replying.

Funny i thought people like you think my farm's income was just simply an illusion...no ?

We all read the other thread...we all have eyes you know. You need to bring it up here ? Really ???

Try to remember that this is an open forum, we are not a group of friends, with similar personalities / attitudes etc.

People on the forum have different styles, both good & bad.

For me RBH posts some interesting information, it is my job to check if his facts are correct & it is easy to ignore the stuff he posts that doesn't interest me.

There are far worse IMO, including a poster on another TV forum I read, who has 25,917 posts.

Not one with any interesting facts or data, 25,917 posts of annoying, condescending crap.

Putting personalities aside my problem with the OP is that it is misleading. It purports to be a realistic business opportunity for TV members. It has all the bells and whistles of a serious proposition that any of us could adopt and make money from. I don't think it is. At best it is just a success story maybe embelished maybe not but unless it can be replicated that's all it is - a story. We all like a good story but normally don't confuse them with reality which the OP encourages us to do.
The reluctance to supply answers to obvious questions just makes me suspicious.
There seem to be plenty here that blindly believe in the story. Well then good luck to you in eneavours. I bet not one of you can replicate it.
Until someone repeats the results quoted those results cannot be taken seriously. I look forward to some enterprising TV member posting that they too are making a fortune out of the humble pineapple.
Note the word humble, these are not some super duper strain that commands a silly price but humble ones that currently wholesale for around 5 Baht/kilo.
It's the same in science until an event or experiment can be replicated the results are not treated as fact.

in my local market currently you can buy 4 small pineapples slanting-ring peeled whole in a polythene bag with a elastic band closure for 20 baht. this bag size is more than one person would care to eat in a day, two people ok could eat. cant even see that price covering marketing and labour for preparation let alone transport and growing costs.

This is not a response to any single post, but to all in general.

I don't believe that there is anyone in their right mind that took the original post to say that any of us would be guaranteed a similar return if we tried to replicate the given situation. Granted there are some real morons out there, but I just can't believe anyone would visit a forum and rush out to dump a million baht or more on land and equipment and spend a year or more of their life trying to replicate the situation described on ANY single post regardless of how well justified. To hammer the op with the justification that you are saving some fictitious imbecile from squandering his life's savings on a pineapple farm is narcissistic at best.

Replication would be impossible and quite frankly ridiculous. You are talking about someone who has probably lived and farmed in that area his entire life and inherited the land. He has long since paid for his farm and equipment. He has had years to set up his market distribution. He has had years to fine tune his farming methods. HE AND HIS WIFE ARE DOING ALL OF THE LABOR!!!!(and very hard labor at that) I would not try to work one full day like he does for any amount of money. If you consider that he has an investment in land and equipment there should be a return on that. Consider 2 people working only 8 hour days for 300 baht a day would be 160,000. Consider that I have seen that Thais working their own fields are quite industrious and routinely work more hours and days per week and harder.

Anyone thinking that a farang could go to the same area and compete would have to be mentally unbalanced.

A lot of farang have a very poor opinion of Thais in general especially when it comes to their work ethic. If you are interested in farming, this puts you at a serious disadvantage. I'm not saying all Thais are industrious, but the thought that all of them are lazy is ludicrous. I know of several Thais doing about as well doing different things with a similar amount of land as is supposed in the op. Hell, my sister in law nets around 240,000 a year selling chicken and somtam next door to me. My wife's aunt and her daughter nets nearly 500,000 in the local wet market. There is no way I would try to keep up with either of them as they work more than 6 days a week and more than 8 hours a day and some very odd hours. They have their businesses well establish. My point is to dismiss the possibility of Thais doing as well as proposed in the op is unjustified. I have heard how ALL Thais lie about how much money they make and sometimes that is true.....sometimes they are making much more that they say. I am not saying that I believe each and every number given in the op is accurate, but I certainly believe that 500,000 a year on five rai is doable under the conditions given. In fact it isn't even remarkable. I understand that you may not share my reality, but if you want me to respect yours you have to respect mine. There is no way anyone will convince certain people that the things I sad are true and that is because they simply don't want to. There are those who don't need proof, because they have seen what I have. To do this you will have to get out in the country and start really exploring what goes on instead of getting your information from other farangs who do not have a clue.

As far as RBH is concerned, he has been contributing a huge amount of valuable information for a very long time and has helped a number of members get set up to make money. Understand that this gives him a certain amount of social currency, more than someone who hasn't done as much. Others have made similar contributions and are likewise appreciated. This is just natural. BTW, he is not hiding behind a keyboard, we know where he came from and where he lives and he has invited many of us to visit. Have you been as open about your identity and location. He is not hiding behind a bottle, he is ever so drunk as to think' you couldn't see him there laugh.png

This is the farming forum. We are here to share information about farming. We do not call each other liars. We do not find that such comments make posts interesting only offensive. We respect those that have real life experience farming in Thailand. We all want to help others join the life we follow. Farmers are optimists and abhor negativity for negativities sake.

That's a lot of writing jotham79 and all the letters in the right place to, that is so seldom here that i am going to print it and have it framed.

As to the content i must agree with you even though 500,000 Baht per year from 5 rai seems excessive, i am lucky to get 1 milion Baht from 220 rai planting Hom Mali rice and that isn't all profit. but there we are rice isn't pineaples......the flat sandy clay soil of isaan isn't much good for anything else.

I agree the writing was very good.

Trouble is some of it made it clear to me that jotham79 is not a farmer and knows very little about it.

If he is farming then he has not learnt a lot.

He says "Replication would be impossible and quite frankly ridiculous"
Then what was the point of the post? As a story OK but not as a biz for anyone else. That's not how it was written.

Also "HE AND HIS WIFE ARE DOING ALL OF THE LABOR!!!!" + "Consider 2 people working only 8 hour days for 300 baht a day would be 160,000"
This shows you know nothing about agriculural farming.
my labor time for cassava is about 8-10 man days/rai/year. Pineapple would be a bit less as you don't need to replant every year and harvesting is easier. Confirmed by my workers who have experience of pineapple.
As you say Thai farmers are hard workers (absolutely no argument with that) and a couple could take care of 5 rai just working 16-20 days/year.In fact if they really were earning 500k/year they would surely just pay others to do the work for them. Total wage bill would be max 15k/year. Just one more reason I don't believe the story.

Sorry i don't believe those profit margins with so little land and so little work. If the financial rewards the OP claims were possible every Thai would be doing it. Remember if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

I would agree with this. That's what Thai farmers do. Plant whatever is earning well and drive the price into the dirt. Watch what happens in a few years when all the new rubber plantations start producing. In our area there are not many people farming rice anymore and those that are are mostly farming for food, not for money. Cane is rapidly replacing rice. The queue at the mills is days long and the price last year was lower than the previous, and this year they are already offering the same low price (farm gate) as they were last year. Even lower if you want some money up front. So, if there is money in pineapple, rest assured that there won't be for long.

I have no beef with RBH over this thread. It may be fact based or it may be fantasy based. I don't really care. Only a fool would run out half cocked and start to invest based on a report like this without doing his own research.

My beef with RBH seems to be mostly personality based. Jotham says RBH has lots of social currency for all the wonderful things he has done for others. And I interpret that to mean that RBH can act however he wants in some places because of the good he spreads in other places, and in the places where he is nice, his behaviour in other places is excused. Hmmm.....I don't work like that. I do my best to be good to all and I assess other people on their dealings with all, not just with myself (that would rather self-serving) But if that's what works for you, then well...whatever.

I'm just a farmer with a farm that produces, but I wish it produced more. I'm not sure which direction I'll move in yet but it is unlikely that it'll be fish or pineapple.

Looks to me like we have a clash of personalities going on in this thread....it can happen,but I would hope that you can all agree to disagree before anything goes too far.

This thread was started in good faith,RBH was merely passing on an idea for making some money by farming pineapples.If you don't like the idea or even believe it is possible...fine,just move on to another thread.

A quote from Brick Top in the film Snatch " If I throw you a bone I don't want to know if it tastes good or not." .............Got it ? thumbsup.gif

If u can sell it to public yourself yourself u can get maybe 20 or maybe 30 bart each pineapple. Are u going to sit all day and do it .?Ifso , good.If not as usual its the middle man who makes the money.

I come frome bangsaphan. Millions of pinaples there as coditions are ideal there.Iveseen them get 5000 bart for a couple of hours picking of pineapples and ive also seen pineaples rot on the plant coz not worth picking

I can strongly recomend growing what is suited to your area.Go to your local kings project in your area.They know all the tricks to do with farming in all local areas.

As 1 poster said.If it was that easy all thais would be making millions.

Sorry to be a party pooper.

Sent from my SM-T315T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree the writing was very good.

Trouble is some of it made it clear to me that jotham79 is not a farmer and knows very little about it.

If he is farming then he has not learnt a lot.

He says "Replication would be impossible and quite frankly ridiculous"

Then what was the point of the post? As a story OK but not as a biz for anyone else. That's not how it was written.

Also "HE AND HIS WIFE ARE DOING ALL OF THE LABOR!!!!" + "Consider 2 people working only 8 hour days for 300 baht a day would be 160,000"

This shows you know nothing about agriculural farming.

my labor time for cassava is about 8-10 man days/rai/year. Pineapple would be a bit less as you don't need to replant every year and harvesting is easier. Confirmed by my workers who have experience of pineapple.

As you say Thai farmers are hard workers (absolutely no argument with that) and a couple could take care of 5 rai just working 16-20 days/year.In fact if they really were earning 500k/year they would surely just pay others to do the work for them. Total wage bill would be max 15k/year. Just one more reason I don't believe the story.

Are you serious, are you really serious? How much did you read here on the farming section yet? Well I don't want to assume or add anything more, I might cross the border to the dark side, so...

But what I remember just from memory, without checking further, Jotham79 has at least 45 rai, doing most corn, has/had 7 rai Teak plantation (of which I'm still convinced by the way ;) ) , was in quails and doing it again I suppose, and with doing chicken he seems to be quite familiar to say the least. I know there was even more, but I can't remember all.

What I actually want to say: It's so easy to assume, accuse, claim, blahblahblah

I'm sure most of us don't want to hear that. Me for my part am interested in real (success?) stories, facts, specific discussions about (here farming-) problems. And even failed stories are interesting if not even more, that's the real stuff to learn something.

I second the statement: If you can't say something nice, don't say something at all!

theres lots of success stories here,,,,,,,,just some dont want to see them,,,,,

just maybe, just maybe they could,nt succeed,

there are some on here, that cant see the wood for the trees, you can make it work here,

like some of us have been saying for years your not going to make millions farming, but you will be able to live,, quit good,,

its hard work, just the same as farming in the uk, farming is hard, more so if you have live stock, you have to take care every day, just the same as in the uk,

but it does pay,,

it seems to me that some want to come to the farming section of late, and just look for arguments,

we have had it nice here in the farming section for years, good bit of craic, and plenty of online friends made,

i for one hope it stays that way, a nice friendly helpfull comunity,, that dont even mind my spelling or gramer,,,lol

jake

I thought the idea of a forum is to exchange/contribute information. A place where we all come to learn and contribute to the knowledge base.
Well, when I come across rubbish or misinformation I am going to point it out for what it is. Being nice and quiet would be the wrong thing to do.
It just gives credence to the rubbish.
Claiming a price of 20 Baht when in fact it is 5 or claiming it cost 160,000 Baht labour to look after 5 rai of pineapples when in fact it is nearer 15,000 are just 2 examples that need highlighting.
Asking everyone to say nice things only or be quiet about such misinformation just contaminates the knowledge base.
Sorry but I am not going to be quiet even if you ask me nicely :)

I thought the idea of a forum is to exchange/contribute information. A place where we all come to learn and contribute to the knowledge base.

Well, when I come across rubbish or misinformation I am going to point it out for what it is. Being nice and quiet would be the wrong thing to do.

Claiming a price of 20 Baht when in fact it is 5 or claiming it cost 160,000 Baht labour to look after 5 rai of pineapples when in fact it is nearer 15,000 are just 2 examples that need highlighting.

Asking everyone to say nice things only or be quiet about such misinformation just contaminates the knowledge base.

Sorry but I am not going to be quiet even if you ask me nicely smile.png

ill point one thing out to you,,,

im not asking for people to keep quiet,, i dont give a flying f££k,,, take it from me i dont,,

what im saying is that there has been some come onto the farming thread that have maybe been here five minutes and want everything laid on for them, its been hard for some of us here,,

you my friend go on about prices,,,

well let me point one thing out to you, and keep this in your mind if possible,,

different areas of thailand give,, pay,, and expect different prices for things,

someone in karat selling there pigs for 80bht a kilo,,,

i might get 75 here in sakoew province,,,

its called my friend supply and demand,,

this pinaple farmer might of been the only one, at the time doing pineaples so he would comand a good price,,,

get outside the box and look at things, there is allways many veriables to farming,

seems to me that some on here of late cant see the things that others can !!!

there, thats my saturday morning rant over,,

nearly made me choke on my bacon sandwitch,,,lol

hava a good day

im not asking for people to keep quiet,, i dont give a flying f££k,,, take it from me i dont,,

what im saying is that there has been some come onto the farming thread that have maybe been here five minutes and want everything laid on for them, its been hard for some of us here,,

well let me point one thing out to you, and keep this in your mind if possible,,

different areas of thailand give,, pay,, and expect different prices for things,

this pinaple farmer might of been the only one, at the time doing pineaples so he would comand a good price,,,

get outside the box and look at things, there is allways many veriables to farming,

hava a good day

You are right about "different areas of thailand give,, pay,, and expect different prices for things"

The difference between 75 baht and 80 baht is approx 7% within the realms of being given in good faith but when the OP claims his neighbour is getting 20 baht when the wholesale price is 5 baht a difference of 300% this is either a genuine error or a deliberate attempt to mislead other members for some reason. As the OP goes on to try and defend his claims and in another thread claiming to be making 1.6m baht a year from 2 rai of fish ponds I think it is obvious RBH is a fantasist and his figures have no connection to reality.

I have no reason to challenge the OP other than to point out to other members (most of whom have had no farming experience in their home country) that there is no easy big money to be made from any crop or livestock in Thailand.

on this site the wholesale price, is 20 baht per fruit at the bottom ofthe page are number 76, price depending of the size, plants are changed, because every successive fruit is smaller and smaller, otherwise the plant can last 50 years. So according to that site where wholesale prices are exposed, the price is 20baht x kg. There are some pdf online also for organic farming they say about 50.000 plants for 10.000 sq meter.

http://www.talaadthai.com/price/default_new.php?gettid=9&getdate=yes&pageno=6&selday=09&selmonth=05&selyear=2014

on this site the wholesale price, is 20 baht per fruit at the bottom of the page are number 76, price depending of the size, plants are changed, because every successive fruit is smaller and smaller, otherwise the plant can last 50 years. So according to that site where wholesale prices are exposed, the price is 20baht x kg. There are some pdf online also for organic farming they say about 50.000 plants for 10.000 sq meter.

http://www.talaadthai.com/price/default_new.php?gettid=9&getdate=yes&pageno=6&selday=09&selmonth=05&selyear=2014

cheesy.gifclap2.gif emiubon thumbsup.gif . Just need to Google Translate and all is good.

Here is a couple snapshots, couldn't do a snip pic while the cursor is pointing at the "current wholesale price".

This is what it said, not what i said sleep.png ...and "baby" refers to "per fruit" when translated.

post-42398-0-13607400-1399709047_thumb.jpost-42398-0-74696000-1399709071_thumb.j

on this site the wholesale price, is 20 baht per fruit at the bottom of the page are number 76, price depending of the size, plants are changed, because every successive fruit is smaller and smaller, otherwise the plant can last 50 years. So according to that site where wholesale prices are exposed, the price is 20baht x kg. There are some pdf online also for organic farming they say about 50.000 plants for 10.000 sq meter.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif emiubon thumbsup.gif . Just need to Google Translate and all is good.

Here is a couple snapshots, couldn't do a snip pic while the cursor is pointing at the "current wholesale price".

This is what it said, not what i said sleep.png ...and "baby" refers to "per fruit" when translated.

attachicon.gif20140510_144349.jpgattachicon.gif20140510_144523.jpg

Ha, this is funny.

A large pineapple would weigh easily 3 kg or more.

the table just confirms the post above quoting 7/kg which is extra ordinarily high.

Last year it was just 5 Baht - that is fact so your friends have been lying to you.

hava a good day

You are right about "different areas of thailand give,, pay,, and expect different prices for things"

The difference between 75 baht and 80 baht is approx 7% within the realms of being given in good faith but when the OP claims his neighbour is getting 20 baht when the wholesale price is 5 baht a difference of 300% this is either a genuine error or a deliberate attempt to mislead other members for some reason. As the OP goes on to try and defend his claims and in another thread claiming to be making 1.6m baht a year from 2 rai of fish ponds I think it is obvious RBH is a fantasist and his figures have no connec....

Please show me the part where i said that i claim to be making 1.6m Thb a year from "2 rai" of land.

I claim to be able to make 1.2m Thb with only 11 rai...and i also said another 4 rental ponds made addition income of nett 400k Thb. Total combine of both propertied made 1.6m nett income for me.

Please don't forget to take your medicine...to improve your memory. Maybe it is your eyesight. Having eye problem lately ?

Ha, this is funny.

the table just confirms the post above quoting 7/kg which is extra ordinarily high.

Last year it was just 5 Baht - that is fact so your friends have been lying to you.

90% of their plantation are Phu Lae. 20 Thb/kg are for that variety that they get for "THEIR" wholesaler.

I like emiubon post because he found a Thai language website.

Ha, this is funny.

Somo,do you realise how childish you look to the farming members of this forum with your constant sniping.If you have no worthwhile contribution to make here ,there is a ladies forum you may be more suited to.

We sale mangos and jackfruit a to a company to export to china in our village!

Pinapple in north east not grow in same quality then in the south!

One problem still present

The price what export company's here pay is a joke. No matter what fruit you sale!

I still looking away to export direct to china without a deal between!

Or better to Europe , found many German websites sale mixed basket of this fruits 10 kg for 70€

Here the rubell begins to roll..

Is there a license needed export to Europe?

The other side of the medal is

That no one talk about here are use of chemicals

The export company here in village

Export mangos to japan , was a strict agreement not using chemicals

But Thais here try to cheat the Japanese one time thinking maybe

Japanese not would recognize it when we use chemicals , the result was thausends of mangos come back to Thailand

If Japanese cheated again we change supplier was the aswer

, and sale to company's in Europe

Is even more difficult cos of high standarts

If some knows more about fruit import rules to eu send pm!

Thanks!

Archived