Thai-American killed in Jomtien road accident

webfact

Thai-American killed in Jomtien road accident

bike-3.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 21 year old Thai-American was killed as his motorbike slammed into a stationary pick-up on the Tepprasit Road in Jomtien early on Saturday Morning.

Police and medics rushed to the scene just before 2am where the body of Khun Amnoi, known to his friends as “”David”, was lying on the road, 3 meters away from his damaged Honda PCX Motorbike,

According to witnesses the bike approached at a high rate of speed and hit the rear of the stationary Mazda Pick-up in front of the Samui EC Tech Company.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/127081/thai-american-killed-in-jomtien-road-accident/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-05-05

RIP, he didn't suffer long and did not kill innocent bystanders.

Thats the only good to say about the story.

2 o'clock in the morning, Speeding into a pickup that parked there for two months.

Is it worth to speculate about the cause of the accident?

I don't think so.

Does anyone want to even ask if he was wearing a very high quality helmet? It will not always save your life, but I would consider myself in need of a very good psychiatrist if I did not always put on my helmet without leaving the house. I skull cannot withstand an impact with either the tarmac, the concrete, or a vehicle without one.

I agree that Thailand is awash with idiotic, untrained bike drivers, but again, don't blame the bike, blame the rider.

I agree. I have had two serious accidents in the last 5 years. One, not my fault, resulting in a minor concussion; the other, being stupid, nearly resulting in being beheaded at a railroad crossing. In both cases my injuries were minor because there is one form of stupidity I do not indulge in, starting my engine without strapping my top quality helmet on. Without it, in either case I would be an ex-person.

I agree that Thailand is awash with idiotic, untrained bike drivers, but again, don't blame the bike, blame the rider.

I agree. I have had two serious accidents in the last 5 years. One, not my fault, resulting in a minor concussion; the other, being stupid, nearly resulting in being beheaded at a railroad crossing. In both cases my injuries were minor because there is one form of stupidity I do not indulge in, starting my engine without strapping my top quality helmet on. Without it, in either case I would be an ex-person.

I won't even go to 7-11, about a kilometer from my house, on a bike without a quality helmet fastened on my head.

• Like 2

Since the mods deleted my first post, let me try it another way. In my experience, I find those who are inclined to make comments that are detrimental towards bikes, in general, have never ridden anything bigger than a 110cc to the market and back. Driving a bike is like driving a car. Basically it boils down to road awareness and common sense. Yes, there is an abundance of stupid bike riders, just as there are an abundance of stupid drivers of cars. To blatantly state that motorbikes/motorcycles are the most dangerous weapon in Thailand, shows a disrespect towards bikes that is unwarranted. It's not the fault of a bike that causes an accident, but the rider DRIVING STUPIDLY in most cases, as is obvious in this particular case.

I've been riding bikes since I was 8. I'm now 66, and STILL prefer a bike bike over a car whenever possible. In the 6 years I've been driving in Thailand, I've taken 250's and bigger all over the north and north east of Thailand and had a blast doing it. The only accident I've had is having to put my 2 month old CBR 250 into the ditch when some jerk in a long bed truck suddenly realized he was about to miss his left turn, slammed on his brakes and turned sharply, leaving me the option of slamming into the truck, or putting the bike into the ditch. I chose the ditch.

I agree to a point...

"Basically it boils down to road awareness and common sense. Yes, there is an abundance of stupid bike riders", Yes, it is easy to spot a spot a stupid bike rider, for a start they nether bother with crash helmets.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Since the mods deleted my first post, let me try it another way. In my experience, I find those who are inclined to make comments that are detrimental towards bikes, in general, have never ridden anything bigger than a 110cc to the market and back. Driving a bike is like driving a car. Basically it boils down to road awareness and common sense. Yes, there is an abundance of stupid bike riders, just as there are an abundance of stupid drivers of cars. To blatantly state that motorbikes/motorcycles are the most dangerous weapon in Thailand, shows a disrespect towards bikes that is unwarranted. It's not the fault of a bike that causes an accident, but the rider DRIVING STUPIDLY in most cases, as is obvious in this particular case.

I've been riding bikes since I was 8. I'm now 66, and STILL prefer a bike bike over a car whenever possible. In the 6 years I've been driving in Thailand, I've taken 250's and bigger all over the north and north east of Thailand and had a blast doing it. The only accident I've had is having to put my 2 month old CBR 250 into the ditch when some jerk in a long bed truck suddenly realized he was about to miss his left turn, slammed on his brakes and turned sharply, leaving me the option of slamming into the truck, or putting the bike into the ditch. I chose the ditch.

The mod deleted your answer because of your insult nothing to do with what type of motorbike I ever drove. So stop your damn lie it was about insults not about riders skills.

The kid f-d up and now he is gone. A tragedy for his family and friends. R.I.P. Why does someone always have to say "Darwin Award"? It's not funny anymore. Hasn't been for many years, and does not apply at all in this case.

• Like 2

The kid f-d up and now he is gone. A tragedy for his family and friends. R.I.P. Why does someone always have to say "Darwin Award"? It's not funny anymore. Hasn't been for many years, and does not apply at all in this case.

Why do you write R.I.P. I presume you didn't know him so he is just another statistic, anyway i don't think he is resting. Driving at high speed at 2 in the morning could lead one, rightly or wrongly to assume that he hadn't been refreshing himself with tea and biscuits,so Darwin Award is OK. Who is paying for the damage to the van ? yeah no one.

Edited by soalbundy

The mod deleted your answer because of your insult nothing to do with what type of motorbike I ever drove. So stop your damn lie it was about insults not about riders skills.

Just as your initial comment can be considered an insult for every bike rider!

On the OP, at 2 AM on fairly empty road I'd think the cause was a rider falling asleep if not for drugs or booze (which OP didn't mention)?

It's easy to fall asleep after long road hours or very late at night, even on a motorcycle.

I did fall asleep once many years ago driving my pickup, I crossed the oncoming lane of a 2 lane HWY, went into a ditch (at which point I woke up) barely missed the light post and almost rolled it over before I came to a stop. I was only few minutes away from home.

Since then I take no chances. If you feel tired, pull over, go for a piss, have smoke, walk around, do something.. Don't just keep riding/driving.

On the OP, at 2 AM on fairly empty road I'd think the cause was a rider falling asleep if not for drugs or booze (which OP didn't mention)?

It's easy to fall asleep after long road hours or very late at night, even on a motorcycle.

I did fall asleep once many years ago driving my pickup, I crossed the oncoming lane of a 2 lane HWY, went into a ditch (at which point I woke up) barely missed the light post and almost rolled it over before I came to a stop. I was only few minutes away from home.

Since then I take no chances. If you feel tired, pull over, go for a piss, have smoke, walk around, do something.. Don't just keep riding/driving.

Good job you weren't driving a bus otherwise the brakes would have been blamed

Your first sentence here invalidates any further comments you make.

Your first sentence here invalidates any further comments you make.

Umm... I was replying to Mango Bob comment, referring to a reply #2 ... were you trying to quote my reply to him or his reply to you?

Good job you weren't driving a bus otherwise the brakes would have been blamed

I'm not a driver by trade, no thanks. And I'd never drive a bus - too many people in my vehicle annoy he hell out of me! Also it didn't happen in Thailand but back in Canada. :P

I am sorry that anyone has died however I live on that road and most nights get woken up by vehicles (bikes and cars) being driven at speed. For those who don't know it, it is a wide, long (3 or 4km) fairly flat and straight road that is reasonably well surfaced. There are accidents on it daily and at least one fatality a month.

Why do you write R.I.P. I presume you didn't know him so he is just another statistic, anyway i don't think he is resting. Driving at high speed at 2 in the morning could lead one, rightly or wrongly to assume that he hadn't been refreshing himself with tea and biscuits,so Darwin Award is OK. Who is paying for the damage to the van ? yeah no one.

Exactly...

I didn't know David - RIP to the young man anyway. I noticed your friends left a spirit offering on the edge of the road outside my house last night. My thoughts are with them and your family at this tragic time.

It was my pickup truck that David drove into - the force of the high speed impact threw my 1 ton truck 50ft down the road, then up the curb and on into a townhouse. The police took it away with no receipt issued.

I am heading out today to try and locate where it is impounded, and where the bike remains are kept so I can find out the bikes insurance company and attempt to secure my trucks return and repair.

Building security video confirms the high speed impact of the bike with truck at 100km+. No brake lights. No crash helmet = What a mess.facepalm.gif ... I will not be posting the building security cam videos of this nasty crash for his families sake.

Edited by SteveB2

Hate to see anyone die because as I see it majority of the accidents are avoidable and certainly what has been written could have? This kid I guess was more Thai than American. Someone mentioned that bikes are dangerous yes they are so are guns but the bike didn't kill him. It was his reckless behavior and attitude he kill himself and helmet or no helmet at the suppose speed he was traveling and the vehicle he hit. Just look at the damage concludes he was going pretty fast. See what the Thais drivers here on motorbike do not understand " you can not win against a ton of metal... the vehicle do not feel any pain at all it was just damaged it will be fixed can't say the same for the kid.

I conclude without a medical examination that he was drinking and ran into a park car? This type of damage he was traveling well within a 100 KM/H? In driving law enforcement the higher the risk the higher the chance something will happen. He has done this before and this night he roll the dice and lost like so many other Thais.

Here in Pattaya the better and wider the road the greater the speed. It is like a invitation to take risk and it is not the car or motorbike that deternine how fast it travel it is the person behind the wheel.

My moto I say to myself daily as I travel around Pattaya seeing reckless drivers.. if they do not die today they will die tomorrow?

R.I.P