Earthquake in CM

AnotherOneAmerican

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The day of the 89 quake I was in divorce court in Oakland. Proceedings were supposed to start that morning but some guy grabbed his kid and held him hostage for several hours. I remember waiting for things to simmer down inside the courthouse and thinking that both divorce attorneys were still on the clock while we were waiting and guess who was paying. I was also worried about getting home before rush hour to see the world series.

I finally got through the court appearance and drove home to Albany late in the afternoon over the Cypress Freeway. I was probably one of the last thousand people or so to ever drive on that freeway. I sat down to watch the world series and the shaking started. I had a lot of cracked plaster on the interior and the exterior brick chimney was so severely cracked it had to be replaced. I was quite happy with all of the earthquake retrofitting I had previously done, bolting the house to the foundation, adding shear walls and cross connect cables, etc.

Yep, I also remember working in the SF financial district in a high rise office building during a quake and looking out the window as the building opposite and my building swayed towards each other and then apart. That was real exciting compared to here.

Grin

The day of the 89 quake I was in divorce court in Oakland. Proceedings were supposed to start that morning but some guy grabbed his kid and held him hostage for several hours. I remember waiting for things to simmer down inside the courthouse and thinking that both divorce attorneys were still on the clock while we were waiting and guess who was paying. I was also worried about getting home before rush hour to see the world series.

I finally got through the court appearance and drove home to Albany late in the afternoon over the Cypress Freeway. I was probably one of the last thousand people or so to ever drive on that freeway. I sat down to watch the world series and the shaking started. I had a lot of cracked plaster on the interior and the exterior brick chimney was so severely cracked it had to be replaced. I was quite happy with all of the earthquake retrofitting I had previously done, bolting the house to the foundation, adding shear walls and cross connect cables, etc.

Yep, I also remember working in the SF financial district in a high rise office building during a quake and looking out the window as the building opposite and my building swayed towards each other and then apart. That was real exciting compared to here.

Grin

Had just been on the upper deck of the Cypress that morning. What was normally a 90 minute commute home took 6 hours.

Is the road from CM to CR clear?

Where were the big cracks?

Going north to CR, there's a "short cut" left we always take about 3-4km after the Jerin Resort (cake ps on the river)......is it clear?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cheeryble

You're all babies. Bit of a rattle of doors and cleaning up around the fish tank.

Then again nothing else noteworthy well happen today. wink.png

I would challenge you to endure what I experienced on the 12th floor and say that, not possible of course but trust me, it beat anything Southern Calif threw at me.

Not to mention, SC has better building regs.

Guess you missed the Whittier, Coalinga and Northridge Quakes.

I was present for all 3 of them. sad.png US $110,000.00 damage to my house as a result of #3 on that list.

Yes, large magnitude aftershock here as well.

The aftershock at about 8:00 this morning that many members felt was the only one I've felt so far here in Sansai. It even woke me up as the glass in the French doors upstairs was rattling so much and the house moved. But I haven't felt any others since the earthquake last night.

Besides the 4 aftershocks yesterday we noticed 2 short shocks around 23.00 houre, and woke up from larger aftershocks around 2.00, 4.00 and 6.00 am. (Thaton, Mai Ai district) The large aftershocks around 8.00 am seem the last which fitted the earth back into its shape.

Grin

Had just been on the upper deck of the Cypress that morning. What was normally a 90 minute commute home took 6 hours.

Cool. Other people were there. I was in Vallejo. That was a good shake. You could watch vertical structures sway. Pretty impressive. Then Oakland -- bye bye Cypress Structure. That was a mess. Bad Engineering in that 'Exceptional' country. Hubris.

Edited by connda

I find it sad that one regular poster says we are all babies.We were fairly high up in a condo and it was shaking badly.Yes we were scared because we do not know if it will stop now or get much worse.Yes it was only 5.8 but it could have been much more than that,at the time we did not know .I hope everybody is safe and there are no injuries.

I was on the 17th floor and it did shake rattle and roll but not as bad as the last one that was centered in Burma. I judged the severity by how much my chandelier was swinging. About 70% of what it did in the last one.

Never the less it was unnerving but just a temporary thing. TV was out for a minute and came back on when the quake ended. So I continued to watch my shows.

Had to laugh at posters claiming pictures were from the another country. The wife pointed them out to me on the TV news later at night. Not sure what damage it would have caused if it had been as close to Chiang Mai as Chiang Rai.

Edit

Forgot to mention I am in Chiang Mai. Some of the districts closer to the center probably felt it worse than I did. Defiantly the ones going towards Chiang Rai. It was a shallow quake so I guess that is the reason it did not cover as big an area as the last one centered in Burma.

Edited by northernjohn

they was one last year,was it any worse than this

This has been the strongest since 1935 which was 6.3.

That's a good thing. Gets the pressure released and we're less likely to have M7 or M8s that would really do serious damage. Having lived all over Alaska and the US West Coast for 40 years, earthquakes were just a fact of life. I just take them in stride and have a game plan if a 'big one' hits. But some people really are freaked out about them. There are quite a few people living in LA who'd like to move according to the press. Depending on where you live in LA, I can't blame them. The earthquakes are bad enough, but then you get looting and other stupidity. Yeah, living on the San Andreas Fault can be an exciting time. *not* However, putting things in perspective, these earthquakes we're getting are mild to moderate. It's a good way to get your earthquake 'training wheels' on. If you can relax and watch and feel, it's a rather unique experience.

Edited by connda

I find it sad that one regular poster says we are all babies.We were fairly high up in a condo and it was shaking badly.Yes we were scared because we do not know if it will stop now or get much worse.Yes it was only 5.8 but it could have been much more than that,at the time we did not know .I hope everybody is safe and there are no injuries.

Had to laugh at posters claiming pictures were from the another country.

That is because there were some posted that was not of this quake.

One posted in News a couple of times was from Burma in 2011 - Post here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/723853-strong-60-magnitude-quake-rattles-northern-thailand-usgs/page-4?p=7779303#entry7779303

One original photo source here - http://www.ibtimes.com/powerful-earthquake-hits-myanmar-photos-706301

I've seen at least one other that were also from Burma in 2011

• Like 2

One posted in News a couple of times was from Burma in 2011 - Post here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/723853-strong-60-magnitude-quake-rattles-northern-thailand-usgs/page-4?p=7779303#entry7779303

One original photo source here - http://www.ibtimes.com/powerful-earthquake-hits-myanmar-photos-706301

That video you just posted seems to be mostly all Burma too.

That video you just posted seems to be mostly all Burma too.

The 1st one of the monks was in Wat Rong Muang Phayao. You are right about the 2nd one after another look. Appears to be file photos put together with the dialog. Just can't trust YouTube can you? biggrin.png

//edit - T_Dog noticed that too.

• Like 1

they was one last year,was it any worse than this

This has been the strongest since 1935 which was 6.3.

That's a good thing. Gets the pressure released and we're less likely to have M7 or M8s that would really do serious damage. Having lived all over Alaska and the US West Coast for 40 years, earthquakes were just a fact of life. I just take them in stride and have a game plan if a 'big one' hits. But some people really are freaked out about them. There are quite a few people living in LA who'd like to move according to the press. Depending on where you live in LA, I can't blame them. The earthquakes are bad enough, but then you get looting and other stupidity. Yeah, living on the San Andreas Fault can be an exciting time. *not* However, putting things in perspective, these earthquakes we're getting are mild to moderate. It's a good way to get your earthquake 'training wheels' on. If you can relax and watch and feel, it's a rather unique experience.

Are they still predicting that the U S is going to fall off California into the ocean?

I no longer joke about folks being unnerved by earthquakes. I was about a mile from the epicenter of the Northridge, California earthquake in 1994. I had lived in California for ten years and been through numerous smaller quakes and tended to have a cavalier attitude toward them - they were a bit like amusement park rides This time two houses on my street burned to the ground due to broken gas lines, an entire elevated freeway interchange came down, and the second floor of an apartment building collapsed on the first floor killing people in their beds. It took months for the area to recover. Now when the ground begins to move I always worry that the shaking will get worse. I don't question anyone's anxiety anymore knowing that the outcome can be devastating.

• Like 1

Around 2011 I was living at a seven story condo in CM. Felt the building shake, so I headed for the stairs. The entire building was vacating and we made our way to the ground floor in good order. However, 99% of the Thai residents happily perched them selves on couches and even the floor- with seven stories of concrete above them, possibly crushing them as flat as pancakes.

I walked across the street to get away from the (potential) disaster. The Thais thought I was nuts :)

Around 2011 I was living at a seven story condo in CM. Felt the building shake, so I headed for the stairs. The entire building was vacating and we made our way to the ground floor in good order. However, 99% of the Thai residents happily perched them selves on couches and even the floor- with seven stories of concrete above them, possibly crushing them as flat as pancakes.

I walked across the street to get away from the (potential) disaster. The Thais thought I was nuts smile.png

i noticed quite a large number of Thais quickly heading down to underground parking lot at Panthip Plaza last night. that is the last place you want to be due to the pancake effect when upper stories collapse.