Strong 6.0-magnitude quake rattles northern Thailand: USGS

webfact

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earthquake jolts Chiang Rai, no damage reported

I am guessing that "no damage reported" will change soon.

Hope not but by the sight of the pictures of roads there is sure to be some damage. I hope no one got hurt.

M6.0 - THAILAND

Preliminary Earthquake Report Magnitude 6.0

Date-Time 5 May 2014 11:08:43 UTC

5 May 2014 18:08:44 near epicenter

5 May 2014 18:08:43 standard time in your timezone

Location 19.703N 99.683E

Depth 7 km

Distances 9 km (5 mi) S of Mae Lao, Thailand

27 km (16 mi) SW of Chiang Rai, Thailand

39 km (24 mi) NW of Pa Daet, Thailand

52 km (32 mi) SSW of Mae Chan, Thailand

362 km (224 mi) WNW of Vientiane, Laos

Location Uncertainty Horizontal: 0.0 km; Vertical 4.1 km

Parameters Nph = 95; Dmin = 125.4 km; Rmss = 1.01 seconds; Gp = 25°

I am guessing that "no damage reported" will change soon.

Hope not but by the sight of the pictures of roads there is sure to be some damage. I hope no one got hurt.

I hope no one got hurt.

+1 on that brother.

• Like 2

A 6.1 magnitude earthquake happened in Thailand’s Phan district of Chiang Rai province at about 6.10 p.m. causing widespread damages to property of residents in many districts of Chiang Rai.

The earthquake was felt by people staying on high-rise buildings in Bangkok. Residents living on Baiyok Tower reported swinging of hanging lamps and falling objects from shelves.

A Teseco Lotus superstore in Chiang Rai also reported falling ceiling and goods from display shelves.

Another resident of Chiang Rai told JS 100 Radio Statin that a four-story building has four supporting poles cracked and a hundred years old pagoda in Chiang Rai also inclined.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/39753/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-06

Well the Mrs and Myself felt it here in Bangkok at 6.15,we are on the 29th floor so was probably amplified but we were both feeling quite disoriented and knew straight away it was a tremor.

Same here I'm on the 19th, but it felt the same as when I felt the 2005 that caused the tsunami.

Umm, I'm in Chiang Mai, and to me it lasted about 30 seconds. Scary as s***! I live in a 15 story bldg, 4th floor, so we went outside. Farangs all lined up outside, about 15 feet from the building. My wife went over to stand with them, and I told her to come with me over to the wat across the street, about 50 meters away with a few other structures in between, where there was less chance of a 15-story bldg coming down on top of us. Holy cow! It was freaky! My wife's tip-toeing around now. Lol.

You did the correct thing. Many casualties occur when people stand in front of buildings they just evacuated because the facades, especially in zones that have no earthquake building codes, tend to collapse into the streets killing those evacuees. First shaker is always unnerving but you get used to them after a while living in California where they are a frequent occurrence. Best insurance is a waterbed because you get an early warning if you are sleeping when it begins, and it insulates you from the violent shaking. Shake a glass with one ice cube in it and you will see that the glass is moving a lot more violently than the ice cube.

• Like 2

BANGKOK, 5 May 2014 (NNT) – An earthquake of 5.8 on the Richter scale occurring at a depth of 10 kilometers hit Phan district in the northern province of Chiang Rai on Monday at 6.08 PM. The tremor was felt in the nearby Lam Pang province.

Authorities warn people in the earthquake areas to stay in a safe place as there might be aftershocks. The National Disaster Warning Center will keep providing updates on the situation.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-05-06 footer_n.gif

No damage. wink.png

xBm3q221CEAEjFen.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9d5xwu

RT @RichardBarrow: Multiple reports of road damage in Chiang Rai after earthquake. This is Mae Suai district (Pic @nookkieZ) #Thailandhttp://t.co/XYANcm2YvZ

xBm3tedoCAAEN8bh.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6zDgNR

I'm in Chiang Mai and I heard four large knocking sounds coming from what appeared to be the driveway of the house - roughly around 6.10pm, at the same time the windows we shaking in their frames and roof lights were swaying. There have been a few more rattles within the last hour

Bamboo house above the pig. I thought the pig was bumping the posts til I saw this.

No pig the whole house was shaking. Nothing here fall.

In mountains 65 klicks north of CM 100 klicks south of CR.

• Like 1

I was having a lie down in bed on the 2nd floor in Chiang Mai. For a moment I thought I was back in the US on my waterbed but no sloshing sound. biggrin.png Got promptly up and set down at the computer to type up a topic on it only to find my computer desk and chair moving around a bit like jello. Weird sensation and glanced up at the ceiling for a moment with some concern. My wife said the large panel TV on the 1st floor was dancing about a bit and the heavy front gate rattling around. Strongest I've felt in 20 years here.

Many felt it in Mae Sai and my wife was in Tachilek and they felt it there as well. I was in a 7 in Mae Sai and the floor was bumping around and the boxes on the shelves were dancing a bit. It lasted maybe 15-20 seconds here. Hope no one was hurt over in Chiang Rai.

I'm here in downtown Chiang Mai in a 4 story cement/rebar constructed apartment. For 6 years I've wondered how the building would fare in an earthquake. Wife and I are on the 4th floor. We felt two very distinct shocks. with about 10sec calm between. The building just swayed gently. I mentioned to my wife that it was probably a minor quake, maybe 4.5. The initial report I saw was M5.8 but about 15 minutes later that had gone all the way up to 6.5 around Mae Suai between us and Chiang Rai.

So my confidence in this apartment has just increased. It might look like a dump, but she's a sturdy dump Lol. tongue.png

• Like 1

Felt it in Bangkok! 15th floor..., it felt more like a slow wave movement than that of a shake.

The funniest part..., I joined friends last night for a get together that last entirely too long and resulted in a nice hangover today. When first I felt it, I hesitated saying anything to my GF who was cooking dinner. Figured she'd call me Ting Tong and say it was my hangover. When I did say something, she came over to the dining room table where I was sitting with notebook, sat down and agreed..., we were definitely wobbling.

Interesting..., and we both agreed on this...., it seemed to last at least 30 seconds..., maybe more.