Do you really need an air conditioner in Bangkok?

Hal65

In BKK it makes a big difference where you stay. Some places have a breeze of cold air, others a hot breeze or nothing at all.

Tree's around the house also helps a lot, the bigger the better. High floor condo's near the river must also be good to stay now.

But i need aircon in the afternoon, or at least dried air. If not then even brushing my teeth makes me sweat like a horse.

Drinking much icewater also helps well.

How on earth do you get a "cold air" breeze when ambient is 38c?

Edited by kannot

In BKK it makes a big difference where you stay. Some places have a breeze of cold air, others a hot breeze or nothing at all.

Tree's around the house also helps a lot, the bigger the better. High floor condo's near the river must also be good to stay now.

But i need aircon in the afternoon, or at least dried air. If not then even brushing my teeth makes me sweat like a horse.

You obvious have never been in BKK mate. There are nice breezes to catch in the city, especially after dark. Have you never driven a motobike in Thailand? Then you can feel them. The coldest ones are the nicest and even if ambient is 38 there are always colder breezes to catch. They don't come from hot concrete surfaces but under tree's or from the riverside.

In our moobaan loads of people know where they are and all go sit there after the sun is gone.

When I first moved to Bangkok I loved in a shitty concrete box apartment with one crappy fan someone gave me. By April I was miserable.

I don't know what people are trying to prove by living without AC. Any Thai that can afford it has one.

When I first moved to Bangkok I loved in a shitty concrete box apartment with one crappy fan someone gave me. By April I was miserable.

I don't know what people are trying to prove by living without AC. Any Thai that can afford it has one.

Is it so hard to believe some people don't like AC ? Last year I got the bus from Pattaya to Bangkok which had AC on all the way, I got off at Onnut and then went into Tesco Lotus to do some shopping. I had to leave the store as I was freezing. It took me about 10 minutes standing outside in the warm air before I was able to stand still and stop shaking.

I can afford AC and had 2 units but very rarely used it, same as when staying in a hotel.

It's no fun to have all windows/door closed. Then you might as well sit in a condo in the UK or wherever.

I like to hear the birds and noises from outside but if it gets above 32 inhouse i start thinking about aircon.

You obvious have never been in BKK mate. There are nice breezes to catch in the city, especially after dark. Have you never driven a motobike in Thailand? Then you can feel them. The coldest ones are the nicest and even if ambient is 38 there are always colder breezes to catch. They don't come from hot concrete surfaces but under tree's or from the riverside.

In our moobaan loads of people know where they are and all go sit there after the sun is gone.

"obviously" the condos I own there are a figment of my imagination along with my Honda CBR 650f.........if ambient is 38c thats what yer gonna get unless u can defy physics? or I expect "Thai air" is different?

Is it so hard to believe some people don't like AC ?

Yes. I'm from a place that is far hotter than Thailand. Where I'm from, if you don't have AC, you're very likely to die from heat exhaustion. Going outside is dangerous.

There no requirement that you set the AC to 14 degrees. If you want it at 30, nobody is stopping you. But sitting there in 40 degrees sweating like a pig does not get you any special Thailand points, it just makes you a masochist.

Edited by BudRight

It's no fun to have all windows/door closed. Then you might as well sit in a condo in the UK or wherever.

I like to hear the birds and noises from outside but if it gets above 32 inhouse i start thinking about aircon.

Its MUCH better to keep them all closed permanently

1 no insects inc mosquitoes

2 no jing joks crapping everywhere

3 No snakes ( yes I have plenty)

4 No Tokays

5 if I want birds and country noises I just walk out the front door to this 15 rai of birds, mosquitoes, snakes, pineapples etc

Sure but you left out the roughly 4.5 mm baht each like the last time you noted you own lots of condos in Bangkok

u need to try the quote button JL if yer wanna be a smart rstongue.png

ps they arent "4.5mm" either as aircon use would be minimallaugh.png

Edited by kannot

The quote button is optional -- but anyone who owns lots of condos in Bangkok that each cost 4.5+ million baht certainly must know what he is talking about when it comes to air conditioning.

U mean as opposed to a guy who suggests he can defy physics.......then yes

Beats me -- but when it gets too hot in the afternoon, between a combination of air con, showers, and multiple fans, I just go to sleep which is one reason that I was up today at 3 AM when it is nice and cool with no air con needed.

Edited by JLCrab

Beats me -- but when it gets too hot in the afternoon, between a combination of air con, showers, and multiple fans, I just go to sleep which is one reason that I was up today at 3 AM when it is nice and cool with no air con needed.

hey.......... you should have known I just get my minions to fan me with 1000 baht notes wink.png .....although it still doesnt get it below ambient

I don't know but you could certainly cool off on that spiffy motorcycle if you rode it when you were soaking wet -- evaporative cooling effect.

easier to turn the aircon on or drop ice cubes down me crackers

Sure -- but then you wouldn't have had to shown the picture of your spiffy motorcycle.

yes but u could have seen my crackers

Well you've already posted photos of your CBR and your pineapples, what's stopping you from posting a photo of your crackers?