The new "evaporative cooler" I used outside on my terrace.

Hi every one,

I guess some have heard of evaporative cooler, not me before last week.

I went with my wife to the new "Central" in Chaweng. (Samui) We stopped to have a drink outside, we sat near a kind of big fan, I thought wow an air conditionner outside first time I see that.

A few days later I went to Home pro, saw the same product same brand, and understood what it was. There is no gas the temperature is refreshed by water evaporation only, this one contains 40 liters and is for outside use mainly. Also it is not a small nor light unit but on a terrace no problem.

I have a terrace but never eat outside for two main reasons, its too hot and the mosquitoes at night.

So I bought one on the spot, received it this morning, to night we ate outside, no mosquitoes, maybe a big fan would have done the same ?

And we where not disturbed by the temperature like before, since I wished I have known before, maybe it could interest some members?

... It seems the temperature is downed only by 2 to 5 degree centigrade (?)...So of course if you have one your opinion is welcome.

(I cannot do better with my English style, sorry grammar tamrouad) smile.png

post-154100-0-66834400-1399386683_thumb.

Edited by Tchooptip
  • Like 1

In the USA I'm used to calling them swamp coolers. Many commercial kitchens use them. They were used a lot in the State of Washington as it never really gets hot there. Much much cheaper than AC units.

I always assumed that they wouldn't really work that well, due to the high relative humidity over here. Do you think the improvement in comfort-level is due to the evaporative cooling? Or simple having the large fan?

Anybody else have any experiences with these? If they do work well, I'd consider getting one for outside.

They use them here in Greece in summer, although a somewhat different style to the one in the photo. They are very effective. The first time I came across them was in Australia, back in about 1971 (in Kalgoorlie, if memory serves), and they were used as a sort of portable (on wheels, anyway) and cheap form of air-con. I think they're great. I hate air-con; it dries up my sinuses and makes me feel like crap, but these coolers I have no problems with.

many outside restaurants also use them. They work a little.

Against mosquito's i also have many fans but they still come. Best way is a fan on the floor, a strong one that blows mosquito's away from the feet.

Lately i bought some plants of lemongrass to grow on my terrace. It seems to work if you crush some leaves and rub them over your skin. Mosquito's hate that.

Instead of buying the swampcooler fan you can also go for misting systems above the terrace. They also work and good models don't drip, only mist.

• Like 1

I always assumed that they wouldn't really work that well, due to the high relative humidity over here. Do you think the improvement in comfort-level is due to the evaporative cooling? Or simple having the large fan?

Anybody else have any experiences with these? If they do work well, I'd consider getting one for outside.

Because YOU knew the principle, I did not, yes of course it works better when the air is dry and of course here the % of humidity is very high. But I Googled "evaporative cooler" after ordering itsmile.png

I was impressed positively in the restaurant in Central Chaweng, thats why I bought it, but yesterday night, I had the same question you asked me: Do you think the improvement in comfort-level is due to the evaporative cooling? Or simple having the large fan?

It is not so obvious, but there is a difference, as far as I am concern it is better than a fan! Even thought I have an intelligent fan with a "wind" fonction that goes slower/faster slower/faster its very pleasant.

Conclusion I am very satisfy of my "discovery" for I will be able to eat outside almost every night, but maybe you will have a few more opinions I guess I am not the only owner amongst TV members.

Have a good day.

I remember using them in Australia where the humidity was fairly low and they were pretty good. I have used them in Thailand and they were completely useless. I much rather spend the money on electricity for air con.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I remember using them in Australia where the humidity was fairly low and they were pretty good. I have used them in Thailand and they were completely useless. I much rather spend the money on electricity for air con.

If you allow me "using them" is a bit vague (no offense) I mean it also depends on the size of it, in Home Pro they have 6 or 7 models, only 2 big ones like in restaurants, sure the small ones are not enough, but for the one I bought "completely useless" certainly not.

As for rather spend the money for air con, I have 2 "inside" the evaporative cooler as I said in OP is for a terrace outside.

The ambient humidity is one thing. The air that comes out of these units is positively DRENCHED and only makes you clammy. If used indoors, mold and mildew will rot everything. They need maintenance or they can harbor disease. I think they are a waste in high humidity conditions.

14,000 baht and so flimsily built, I doubt it will last a year of daily use. I have been in many restaurants where they have removed evaporation mesh and use them as a fan only or have pushed them into a corner and forgot them.

IF you have a modern AIR-CON unit made by a major manufacturer, they are designed to be very efficient. Well worth the electric considering the added benefit of lower over-all humidity. IMHO

Just get a couple nice floor fans for outside. One for under the table (on high). One for above the table on low so the forks don't blow away.

'nuff said

~

Edited by 'nuff said
  • Like 2

One vegetarian restaurant I frequent in Chiang Mai bought a few huge ones, but after a few weeks they turned them off. They don't work here.

Unfortunately, evaporative air coolers don't work everywhere. Swamps, for instance, are lousy places for swamp coolers. It's not entirely clear where they got the nickname, but it probably refers to the humidity they add to the air or the swampy smell that can develop when they aren't cleaned often enough. In order to work, they need a hot, dry climate.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/heating-and-cooling/swamp-cooler.htm

• Like 1

I had something similar years ago.

A small unit on wheels.

That blows out air like a fan.

But you open the lid on top and put in 5 baht of ice.

It worked at first. Then after that not really .

Think.it was all in my mind that air blown over ice would be better that AC.

Bought A after that

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What you are referring to is a swamp cooler. They only work in very, very low humidity, hence there is no use for one in Thailand

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/aprilholladay/2007-05-21-swamp-coolers-dark-dirt_N.htm?csp=34tech

Humidity makes a difference. At 50% humidity, an evaporative cooler can lower the air coming into the cooler by about 10 degrees (6 degrees C). But at 10% humidity, the cooler can plummet temperatures by about 20 to 30 degrees (13 to 14 degrees C)

So, for example, if the outside temperature is 90 degrees F (32 C) and the relative humidity is 50%, then the swamp cooler can cool the house to 79 degrees (26 C). Moreover, at 90 degrees (32 C) outside and only 10% humidity, the house temperature drops to 67 degrees (19 C).

On the other hand, when the outside temperature soars to 100 degrees (38 C), we're in trouble if the humidity is much above 25%. When the swamp cooler doesn't work well depends both on outside temperature and humidity. The higher the outside temperature, the lower the humidity must be to drop the house temperature into the cool 70's.

What you are referring to is a swamp cooler. They only work in very, very low humidity, hence there is no use for one in Thailand

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/aprilholladay/2007-05-21-swamp-coolers-dark-dirt_N.htm?csp=34tech

Humidity makes a difference. At 50% humidity, an evaporative cooler can lower the air coming into the cooler by about 10 degrees (6 degrees C). But at 10% humidity, the cooler can plummet temperatures by about 20 to 30 degrees (13 to 14 degrees C)

So, for example, if the outside temperature is 90 degrees F (32 C) and the relative humidity is 50%, then the swamp cooler can cool the house to 79 degrees (26 C). Moreover, at 90 degrees (32 C) outside and only 10% humidity, the house temperature drops to 67 degrees (19 C).

On the other hand, when the outside temperature soars to 100 degrees (38 C), we're in trouble if the humidity is much above 25%. When the swamp cooler doesn't work well depends both on outside temperature and humidity. The higher the outside temperature, the lower the humidity must be to drop the house temperature into the cool 70's.

Yes absolutely, its exactly what I learned with Googlesmile.png

Personally I will use it only outside on the terrace, not at all to cool the house.

Right now, around 7 o'clock I am on the terrace with no shirt on and bare foot, "my perception" (I am not stubborn"for the people who "declared" it cannot work in Thailand) so my perception is it is cooler than with a mere fan, also the blades are rather big ?? It also seems a swamp cooler is only as effective as the size of the panels, the back panel is 19x16” and the 2 side panels are 8x23”, so for me it cools enough to make it pleasant

Don't they have these in a lot of outdoor bars? If so, they are very effective.

Me too found it very effective in an outdoor barsmile.png by the way that is why I bought one, but some posters told you its almost bullshit ???blink.png

These work good in the dept store conditions. I have just noticed them showing up and was surprised to see them, because as others mention, they are used in dry areas. I sat in front of one in a desert house, and it was great, but the guy told me (even in the desert) that the lines get really nasty and mildewish in there, and it was a pain for him to clean it, but that was a wall mount. Op's is a portable.

surely these coolers could? if not maintained and cleaned properly,[LEGIONNAIRES DISEASE] cold misty dirty air this is where this virus is bred.i remember that a top hotel in wales was closed down after a guest caught the disease and died.it was found she had sat by one of these coolers that was keeping buffet food chilled and producing cold misty air.

for me that sits outside every night its 1xhatari 18in.power wind and a mossy frier.

I would have thought that a swamp cooler was for cooling swamps.

An evaporative cooler is working if the user believes it is working.

One could measure the water usage to determine whether it is actually working but that would not necessarily concur with ones perception of whether it is working.

Edited by noodle

I would have thought that a swamp cooler was for cooling swamps.

An evaporative cooler is working if the user believes it is working.

One could measure the water usage to determine whether it is actually working but that would not necessarily concur with ones perception of whether it is working.

I would use a thermometer.

• Like 1

Oh, yes. They work really well in the department store becused it is a low humidity - cool aircon environment. It's like a cool desert,where you get thirsty but don't need cooling. They work well anywhere hot & dry too, like a real desert, because the evaporative effect is what cools the immediate air. The moment you take them home & try to ues them in a warm, high humidty area thay are useless. The more powerful ones that have a built-in fridge unit or use ice can work ok but are better outside where the extra humidity won't get trapped to blacken your ceilings or make your floors slippery. Summary: Buy an aircon for a closed room or several more fans.
If you already have one, do consider the probably remote possibility of legionaires disease. Probably a regular cycle through the system with a good disinfectant or bleach. Bleach (Sodium Hyperchlorite) is hard to find in Thailand supermarkets . I suppose you could use "Highter" bleaching laundry detergent for whites. (Not Highter for coulours. Too weak.) But then fresh water to get the detergent & bleach out of the machine. Summary: Buy an aircon for a closed room or several more fans. P.S. I have one but I forgot about Newton's 1st & 2nd laws of thermodynamics when I bought it.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Oh, yes. They work really well in the department store becused it is a low humidity - cool aircon environment. It's like a cool desert,where you get thirsty but don't need cooling. They work well anywhere hot & dry too, like a real desert, because the evaporative effect is what cools the immediate air. The moment you take them home & try to ues them in a warm, high humidty area thay are useless. The more powerful ones that have a built-in fridge unit or use ice can work ok but are better outside where the extra humidity won't get trapped to blacken your ceilings or make your floors slippery. Summary: Buy an aircon for a closed room or several more fans.

If you already have one, do consider the probably remote possibility of legionaires disease. Probably a regular cycle through the system with a good disinfectant or bleach. Bleach (Sodium Hyperchlorite) is hard to find in Thailand supermarkets . I suppose you could use "Highter" bleaching laundry detergent for whites. (Not Highter for coulours. Too weak.) But then fresh water to get the detergent & bleach out of the machine. Summary: Buy an aircon for a closed room or several more fans. P.S. I have one but I forgot about Newton's 1st & 2nd laws of thermodynamics when I bought it.

Oh, yes. They work really well in the department store becused it is a low humidity

I bought mine because I haves seen one and sat in front of it, outside a restaurant in the new Central that opened in Samui, I was impressed and 48hours later I found Home-Pro sold the same brand so I bought it "due" my positive experience in this restaurant, it has nothing to do with any theories of it working or not.

As I said, and say again, mine is only for outside on my terrace, I have 2 aircons inside.

It contains 40 liters, consumes about 20 liters of water a day so it seems to me 20 liters is at least " a little evaporation"

I always stop the water pomp first, and five of ten minutes later the fan, so the evaporative pad are well dried.

I will see if I can find in Thailand HydrogenPeroxyde (H2O2) to clean it from time to time.

Bleach may not be a good idea to breathe later on.

If I do not put the water pomp, which I do sometimes, the fan being more powerful most fans I've ever seen in Super Market, for the mozies on the terrace its a miracle.wai.gif

• 11 months later...

Hi! I'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they sell just the pads at HomePro? Like replacement pads or something. My new apartment doesn't have AC in the living room area and I would like to try to make a DIY evaporative cooler in one of my window frames. Thanks!

• 11 months later...

surely these coolers could? if not maintained and cleaned properly,[LEGIONNAIRES DISEASE] cold misty dirty air this is where this virus is bred.i remember that a top hotel in wales was closed down after a guest caught the disease and died.it was found she had sat by one of these coolers that was keeping buffet food chilled and producing cold misty air.

According to a research paper released by the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration & Air-conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE):

... no cases of Legionnaires' disease have been attributed to evaporative coolers [...]

Legionnaires' disease is contracted by inhaling an aerosol laden with sufficient Legionella bacteria into the lower respiratory tract. Evaporative coolers do not provide suitable growth conditions and generally do not release an aerosol.

In the case of the woman who died in Wales, the cause was never discovered. Various sites were suspected as possible sources but according to the NHS final report, "none of the four sites were definitively identified as the source of the outbreak from sampling".