Whats with the Cooking Gas Prices?

Gonzo the Face

Seems like cooking gas prices are going out of sight.

For the same size big tank [48kg I think]

November 2013 1010 Baht

January 2014 1055 Baht

February 2014 1080 Baht

March 2014 1105 Baht

Today May 2014 1160 Baht

Unless my math is way off , that is a 150 increase in approx. 6 months or annualized to about 30% per increase

The Government had to put the price of LPG up as it was loosing

a great deal of money through subsidies,and will go up every month

till next year,if i am correct.So you can expect the price of most goods

to rise as well,inflation is really going to kick in,plus cannot see interest

rates improving either.

regards Worgeordie

When the price was 970 about a year ago the government tax rats caught several lpg stations selling cooking gas to auto at a higher price. Several millions of baht skimmed off tax monies.. They seem to be trying to get the price reversed and its probaly going to go the other way. That way the same old skam can continue.

I do enjoy the way they use different retail measurements for lpg, kilo or liter, this is just to keep everyone except the suppliers confused. They work with tons or cubic feet in bulk gas purchases. You have to get up early to catch them at their various little games to get money out of the consumers to finance their lavish life styles.

rates improving either.

regards Worgeordie

Good! Maybe the USD will go back up to 40BHT.

Cooking gas was 170 a tank in 1997....along with diesel at 8 baht a liter. That's the down side of price controls.....sooner or later, the government is going to allow the price to rise...as it should.

I knew diesel at 30 baht a liter was slightly more expensive here than in the US......and I thought lpg tanks were the same. But while on vacation in Texas last year, I had to get refill our daughter's bbq tanks.......15 pounds at $19. If my elementary math skills serve me correctly, that's more than double the price here....15kg at less than 400 Baht.

Some day the price controls will be lifted on my 500g box of kellog's corn flakes.....been 94 baht for 4 years.....maybe I should stock up now!

Welcome to a bankrupt country

The country that I come from is bankrupt too. I'm starting to get used to it.

You must be either Ukrainian or a Fox News fan.

Edited by quidnunc
  • Like 2

rates improving either.

regards Worgeordie

What percentage of a product's cost is due to LPG? Not much.

rates improving either.

regards Worgeordie

Not very many end products are made up on just one component

Breakfast as example

LP Gas

Bread

Eggs

Meat

Coffee

Juice

Butter

and on and on........ add the all up and check out the increases and you soon find that you may be selling it below your cost.....

Not to mention

rent

Electric

Salaries

Taxes and on and on

Thailand is not actually bankrupt either. You must be one of those low information voters. whistling.gif

Never said it was.

Cooking gas was 170 a tank in 1997....along with diesel at 8 baht a liter. That's the down side of price controls.....sooner or later, the government is going to allow the price to rise...as it should.

I knew diesel at 30 baht a liter was slightly more expensive here than in the US......and I thought lpg tanks were the same. But while on vacation in Texas last year, I had to get refill our daughter's bbq tanks.......15 pounds at $19. If my elementary math skills serve me correctly, that's more than double the price here....15kg at less than 400 Baht.

Some day the price controls will be lifted on my 500g box of kellog's corn flakes.....been 94 baht for 4 years.....maybe I should stock up now!

as with many things the price stays the same but the size goes down noticed this on a lot of items.. I buy the large Kellogg's Corn Flakes still 279 baht but sure it was 1.8 KG ? now this week the pack is 1.7 KG.. !! Shower cream still the same price but not 500 ml but 480 ml

Welcome to a bankrupt country with no consumer price protection whatsoever.

I come from the US. So, I am accustomed to living in a bankrupt nation. Only difference is the total per capita debt here is a lot lower. The US is number three in the world, very conservatively estimated at $58,604 per person. And the general government gross debt, as a percentage of GDP is 107.3%. In Thailand it is $2,977 per person, for the total outstanding debt. And the general govt. gross debt, as a percentage of GDP is only 48.3%, leaving it as the 38th highest nation in the world. These figures are based on Bloomberg, 2014 numbers. So, get your facts straight, before making statements like this one. You are right about the consumer price protections, with the exception of LPG, and Natural gas, which have been subsidized up until recently. I hear those subsidies are being relaxed.

I come from the US. So, I am accustomed to living in a bankrupt nation. Only difference is the total per capita debt here is a lot lower. The US is number three in the world, very conservatively estimated at $58,604 per person. And the general government gross debt, as a percentage of GDP is 107.3%. In Thailand it is $2,977 per person, for the total outstanding debt. And the general govt. gross debt, as a percentage of GDP is only 48.3%, leaving it as the 38th highest nation in the world. These figures are based on Bloomberg, 2014 numbers. So, get your facts straight, before making statements like this one. You are right about the consumer price protections, with the exception of LPG, and Natural gas, which have been subsidized up until recently. I hear those subsidies are being relaxed.

Nothing of what you've cited here establishes that the USA is bankrupt. Nothing.

The subsidy for LPG is gradually being removed.

I have heard that for the last couple of years. I bought a car with LPG conversion about four years ago, it has gone up about 3 Baht per ltr in that time. Anyway, I don't think the taxi drivers will be too happy if what you say is true.

rates improving either.

regards Worgeordie

As the majority of any product in Thailand is transported by road using LPG trucks of course the price will increase.

rates improving either.

regards Worgeordie

As the majority of any product in Thailand is transported by road using LPG trucks of course the price will increase.

To determine how much the cost will increase we first have to establish a ratio of the value of the LPG burned to the value of the cargo. That's going to be a very small percentage. Then what fraction of the cost of the LPG is due to the increase in price. In other words we are talking about a small fraction of a small fraction. Neglible, really.

Blame the government. Exponential cost increases across the board, though Mama noodles and other tat is almost same same :o

For everything but property, eating out and fuel (just), it is comparable to, or more expensive than, some Western nations. Figure in lack of quality, choice, service and welfare, not to mention bombs, quakes and civil wars, and it's a bit of a bum deal now. It was good in the 90s but has had its day.

Time to head home, folks. Me first!

• Like 1

Fox news has nothing to do with the country being bankrupt, the politicians do.

Nothing of what you've cited here establishes that the USA is bankrupt. Nothing.

It owes more money than it can ever payback. Kind of like being a functional alcoholic.