Uniform creates agression?

petedk

Last night I experienced something that really shocked me.

I have lived in Thailand for 15 years and love this country. I admire how people often talk their way out of problems with the authorities as long as they keep calm and stay friendly.

I was walking along the skywalk from Central Lad Prao to the MRT and there was a young schoolboy sitting and playing a flute. Quite a lot of people put money in the small box in front of him. Suddenly just as I passed him I saw a security guard run up to him and without warning punched him in the face. This poor kid was probably about 15 years old and didn't see the guard coming. The guard then placed one arm around the boy's neck and proceeded to punch him. He released him and took the box with the money. He then grabbed him again and tried to drag him away , still punching him in the face and body. The boy didn't fight back.

I was told by my Thai friends just to ignore the situation and walk away. Unfortuneately the battery in my mobile was flat so I couldn't film the episode.

I really couldn't believe that a fully grown man could attack a young innocent kid in that way.

There's an old saying: Put a uniform on a man and he grows 10 feet.

I'm inclined to believe the OP about the uniform playing a part in this. It's well accepted that Thais like uniforms. When they put one on, it changes their demeanour. I have witnessed it countless times at my old office. Don the security guard uniform and prance up and down in front of the mirror admiring yourself. One new guard even did a skip into the air after walking in front of the mirror.

So, if the guard in the OP has had a problem with this boy before, it doesn't surprise me that he would use aggression, because he's now a "big man" in a uniform.

• Like 1

I like the security guards with the shiny shoes, baton, whistle, hi-viz jacket with "Police" written on the back. I think the name for them is probably ....................... xxxxxxx.

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 2

Is that private property? I believe many of the property owners enforce a no begging policy. Perhaps flute boy was told previously not to loiter/beg/play with his flute on the property.

It does not matter if it's private property or not, there is no excuse for such violence on a 15 year old kid, nor does it matter if there's a no begging policy.

• Like 1

And you did not do anything about it????

How come?

If you think it was so unjust you could at least have screamed to the security to stop. Probably he would have been so surprised that he would stop beating up the boy.

I don't understand you.

• Like 2

How come?

If you think it was so unjust you could at least have screamed to the security to stop. Probably he would have been so surprised that he would stop beating up the boy.

I don't understand you.

me also....I'd backhanded the $hit

How come?

I don't understand you.

You probably don't remember the poor guy who resisted security because his daughter wanted to take a balloon on the train. It didn't go very well for him.

• Like 1

In the States the cops are the most violent bullies imaginable.

They love shouting 'stop resisting' as they beat you senseless.

Why not, they can get away with it.

Check YouTube.

Is that private property? I believe many of the property owners enforce a no begging policy. Perhaps flute boy was told previously not to loiter/beg/play with his flute on the property.

You being serious? This is way over the mark and excessive force on a young kid. Is this normal where you come from?

Strange indeed. Normally a guard would not so blatantly harass and steal from a boy unless he felt some sort of legitimacy.

I'm guessing the security guard was sort of like the boys handler or pimp.

He either set up the boy or allowed him to beg in exchange for protection (having set aside a certain amount for BMA officials/police).

If the guard was old enough, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the kid's father being an abusive parasite.

I cannot believe you did nothing regardless of your circumstance. An approach from behind with a metal bar or some other object would produce the desired results. Are you in a wheelchair? Perhaps you have no legs and arms. A large rock as you walk by looking away would also do the trick.

The boy probably doesn't even go to school. I've seen 'flute boys' in school uniform in several places in Bangkok.

I've been a school teacher in Thai schools and these boys don't look or behave like the kinds of boys who would be out raising money to go to school.

The uniforms are oft-times mismatched and there are sometimes not even any school initials or student names embroidered on the shirt as per regulations.

Whatever your views on beggars, it's a scam.

• Like 1

In the States the cops are the most violent bullies imaginable.

They love shouting 'stop resisting' as they beat you senseless.

Why not, they can get away with it.

Check YouTube.

What a bullshit post, guess you have never been stateside, another know all know nothing arm chair fool.

• Like 2

I was curious about the post header so had to look. I think you are spot on. What you described sounds awful and once again a TV poster tells a story where I fear how I might have responded. I loath people abusing others. But yes, I agree, a uniform imports a sense of authority to the knuckledraggers among us. There was a study done some years ago where normal people in the study, when assigned an authority position or incentive, had no problem delivering electrical shocks to others. I think this should be called the Goon Tendency. Unfortunately, people like this who can suspend their conscience commit some horrendous acts.