Long term overstay - help :(

The real problem with the "stay here illegally until you collect enough money" advice is if the OP gets into a medical problem and that can happen in the blink of an eye. He may be young and healthy, but accidents happen and Thailand has an accident rate that is 20 times greater than the west. And I'm not just talking vehicular accidents. It's all the stupid little steps in the houses, the holes in the sidewalks, the motorcycles on the sidewalks. When he's taken to hospital, it will be discovered that he's on overstay and Immigration will be notified. Sure, he'll get medical care (if he's got money), if he doesn't have money, he'll be transferred to a government hospital and "stabilized" whatever that means.

Edited by NancyL

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you recommend him to stay illegal, without visa, and even longer. And also to start working illegal as a teacher. I'm glad that he is not a teacher for my children wink.png

what difference does it make if he is illegal or not as a teacher, there is plenty out there, what is he going to teach them, how to overstay, get a life, if you do not have any helpful to say do not post

It makes a huge difference to the children. Who likes to have someone who is not a teacher but just a illegal overstayer and illegal worker to tea3ch your kids. Not me, I like to have a real legal teacher that cares about teaching and the kids.

well go some where else, because there is a lot of English teachers out there, yanks , Irish, Swedish ect teaching English, its funny to hear them with the different accents, I wonder how they spell because the yanks spell different to the correct English, would like to know HOW you check they are legal, do you go and check they degree, would love you to come to me to check my degree, I think you would know what I would say.

WOW much hostility in your posts on this topic, and your a teacher ?....how ever it does seem you do have a bit of a chip on your shoulder

Do you ever do any writing fella? Your first post is well articulated and I know a few people who hire writers plus a few sites you can advertise on assuming you've got access to laptop and internet.

The pay isn't great but it keeps you occupied and helps save towards overstay. PM me if of interest.

Wow, you think that the OP's first post is well written, (I won't use articulated as that refers to speech). His grammar and some spelling is appalling, and he does not know the difference between advise and advice, so I think his chances of being a paid writer are pretty slim.

Go back to your country find a job .date money and them come back.

If your gf really loves you she will understand and wait for you.

If you think you can live the life on fresh air your only fooling yourself.

We all have to make sacrifices .

You should think clear and hard

Good luck with what you decide

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The problem is that at any time - until you get to the airport immigration desk - that you are asked for proof of current visa you are vulnerable. Once at the airport, 20K fine is I think still the maximum. I have no experience or knowledge of any maximum overstay days that could lead to black list, but passport change overseas could rectify that once abroad. Good luck and beware of broadcasting your situation as many would turn you in for share of a hefty fine .....

Thanks for the advice guys - but put simply I honestly don't have the funds at the minute to fix this as posted originally. The only option I seem to have currently is to "keep my head down" until im in a position to fix this I guess.

You have made a mistake posting here remember it a public forum you will get the hang in high brigade soon, or the I have help old men before rubbish.

what you need to do is keep a very low profile.

get the money together 20000 baht go to airport pay fine

there is no 150 day barring or black listing that is bullshit

do not take notice of all the bullshit here

Nobody here said there was a 150 day blacklist or barring on this thread except the OP himself....in fact the posters in reply to him told him he was wrong about that.....................so, why do you say ..."do not take notice of all the bullshit here"

Wow, ThaiVisa lives up to it's reputation.

I'll find my old passport and scan it.

I really don't know what all the arguing is about, it's simple.

Turn up at airport, pay fine, leave Thailand or

Get caught or hand yourself in, go to court, do whatever, get kicked out of Thailand WITH A CRIMINAL RECORD.

That's the difference, the criminal record, that's why they write something next to your exit stamp.

I'm not complaining, I knew what I was doing and fully deserved what happened to me.

I just hope that every time, and I mean every single time a ThaiVisa member recommends the 20,000 at the airport route, they add that it's illegal to stay in Thailand without a valid visa, and they run the risk of going to prison and getting banned from Thailand.

Lonely Planet used to advise the 20,000 at the airport route, and they didn't give any warnings, it read like it was an acceptable route, I emailed them and asked them to add a warning, I also told them about an Austrian guy who was beaten to death in the cells and that the cells were not a great place to be wondering why their travel guide hadn't warned of such dangers, Lonely Planet said they would add the changes to their next edition, they never did.

Since you have already overstayed, let it be!

Live your life as you normally would and don't worry too much! It's not the end of the world like you had killed somebody.

A tenant at my FIL's house had his maid overstayed for over 2 years. I sent them to the airport when they left. He paid B20,000 at the airport with no question asked!

Don't let it bother you, I say!

Go back to your country find a job .date money and them come back.

If your gf really loves you she will understand and wait for you.

If you think you can live the life on fresh air your only fooling yourself.

We all have to make sacrifices .

You should think clear and hard

Good luck with what you decide

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

why is it that posters give advice without reading the op's problem,as the last few posts are suggesting,he needs around 50,000bht for the fine and an air ticket,sounds like he hasn't got 50bht.he might have a few bills if and when he gets home waiting for him.if you think you can live the dream in Thailand without the funds this is what you can expect.

there has been quite a few sad stories the past yr.or 2 some could have been avoided some is their own making.

30yrs ago I was told what to expect and I took the advice given to me,WAIT TILL YOU REACH RETIREMENT AGE

before you try to live the DREAM unless you have a well of money where you can draw from it when needed.

a lot of us have been lucky that we have a good partner,but there are toooooo many blokes who's brains are in their trousers,and girls who think that every farang is a good one.

• Like 2

To the OP.

Do you have Family member "back home" or an old good buddy who can lent you some money to get the situation fix?

In my opinon you should not just fly to the nearest country but fly back home and get a real job. The sooner you are back togetehr happy with your GF. I pointing out HAPPY.

Edited by Lammbock

So you recommend him to stay illegal, without visa, and even longer. And also to start working illegal as a teacher. I'm glad that he is not a teacher for my children wink.png

what difference does it make if he is illegal or not as a teacher, there is plenty out there, what is he going to teach them, how to overstay, get a life, if you do not have any helpful to say do not post

It's not helpfull to recommend him doing even more illegal suff. Do the right thing instead........

• 2 weeks later...

You seem to be fluent in English, so why not teach English, which is the fall back employment for falangs in Thailand. I know Pattaya is a tough teaching market, but there are plenty of jobs in Bangkok. Could help carry you over until you can come up with something better. Best of luck.

on overstay? the solution is simple -- work illegally.

Wow, ThaiVisa lives up to it's reputation.

I'll find my old passport and scan it.

I really don't know what all the arguing is about, it's simple.

Turn up at airport, pay fine, leave Thailand or

Get caught or hand yourself in, go to court, do whatever, get kicked out of Thailand WITH A CRIMINAL RECORD.

That's the difference, the criminal record, that's why they write something next to your exit stamp.

I'm not complaining, I knew what I was doing and fully deserved what happened to me.

I just hope that every time, and I mean every single time a ThaiVisa member recommends the 20,000 at the airport route, they add that it's illegal to stay in Thailand without a valid visa, and they run the risk of going to prison and getting banned from Thailand.

Lonely Planet used to advise the 20,000 at the airport route, and they didn't give any warnings, it read like it was an acceptable route, I emailed them and asked them to add a warning, I also told them about an Austrian guy who was beaten to death in the cells and that the cells were not a great place to be wondering why their travel guide hadn't warned of such dangers, Lonely Planet said they would add the changes to their next edition, they never did.

Overstayers, of course, now have a not insignificant hurdle to overcome en route to the airport before they can part with their 20,000 - in the form of military checkpoints following the declaration of martial law.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1