NACC indicts Yingluck, asks Senate to impeach her as PM

webfact

Another victory for the judicial process. The rice scheme was the worst scandal of its kind in the country's history. It was rife with corruption and kickbacks, monies diverted, fishy deals, farmers ill treated, rice farming industry decimated, the GDP plunging as a result of the debt, and Thailand taken off the top tier as rice exporter in the world for the first time in three decades. Yingluck's defense continues in the Senate as this proceeds constitutionally.

You may consider it a victory for the Thai judicial process - as politicized as it is. In the eyes of the international observer, it is a huge defeat for Thailand and its reputation as a democratic society. Most international observers are not really interested in all the finer details - they just see a judicial system that, for the third time in a decade, has ousted a democratically elected Govt. I am in no way condoning what YL and her colleagues have done - quite the opposite. I just think we need to recognize what Thailand's reputation will be as a result of these 'decisions' by the various courts.

By the way, the fall in GDP has little if anything to do with the debt - its fall by nearly 2% is directly attributable to Suthep and his mates and the effect their extended protests have had on the economy. I've just seen that S & P may well downgrade Thailand further which will make any sort of recovery even more difficult and protracted.

• Like 1

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's where it all comes crashing down, thanks to the recent senate elections.

The coup clowns don't have the required 3/5 of the senate vote.

There will be no impeachment.

With the Senate being 49% appointed by the Ammart the numbers are very close with slightly more than 60% favouring the old-guard.

Thailand needs reform and the first reform should be an elected senate.

No, Thailand' senate should be 100% appointed as is Canada's.

Appointed by who? Therein lies the problem. It might work in a forward thinking country like Canada, but this is thailand, where every single level of govt/law is corrupt and self serving.

I think there should be an election whereby the parties propose what changes they want to make to the country by way of reform ... the party that wins gets the mandate to change what they proposed ... the way democracy is supposed to work. Of course this won't work for any one but PTP .... simply because no one else has the numbers ...

Time for Marky to quit hiding in the shadows and start putting forward the reforms he intends to make so he had a chance to sell it to the public before the next election which will otherwise inevitably return PTP to power ... Until the next judicial coup

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The way things are going, there just might not be a PTP for the next election.

No one elected those who wrote the US Constitution.

What is the evidence of what she did wrong? It seems that many TV members and loud anti gov Thais keep asserting she has stolen from the country to make her family rich and Thailand is poor because of the Shin clan. What has been proven so far or strong evidence presented in favor to makes people so adamant against her position.?

It isn't a matter of her actually stealing money. Her family was rich long before her bum was warming the PM's chair, but as the PRIME minister, it was her duty to do as she swore in front of H.M.. That is to carry out her duties diligently and honestly. Since there was proven rampant corruption in all areas of her mal administration, obviously she has failed to be diligent and honest..

Evidence.?

Successful flood control scheme?

First time car buyers scheme?

Rice pledging scheme?

Tablets for students scheme?

Where's all that lovely money gone?

I am sure there are others that can be added, but you get the picture, I assume?

What is the evidence of what she did wrong? It seems that many TV members and loud anti gov Thais keep asserting she has stolen from the country to make her family rich and Thailand is poor because of the Shin clan. What has been proven so far or strong evidence presented in favor to makes people so adamant against her position.?

It seems that you don't spend any time reading papers, watching the news or looking on the internet.

Because if you did, you don't have to post this question, remark.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After living here for 30 years and seeing 10 Prime Ministers I think that we have to recognize that others have done nothing for Thailand. Thailand is a strong country where there is no poverty and unemployment. This country has been on a difficult trail to democracy since 1932 and has made great progress inspite of rotten civilian governments. Look around south east Asia, Thailand is growing and doing good. The road to democracy is long and hard especially in Asia. The army and others hanging over the head of democracy slows down the speed. The economy is strong and this country will grow and do good inspite of the poor purchased members of parliament. The road is a rocky and difficult one but Thai people love freedom. If they can give up selling their votes then we can get there a lot faster. THIS IS A GOOD COUNTRY MAKING GOOD PROGRESS!

Well said sir.

I don't agree with your every word.

Thais like their freedom; the army and the monarchy are not taking lead roles in this episode. Everyone and their dog has a political opinion today (which is good). At the moment they're all shouting on the street and through the internet, But sooner or later this active body politic will gestate into a modus vivandi, and then we'll have something closer to real democracy.

(My first job here was as a political advisor to PM Gen Kriangsak, so, as a dinosaur, I predate even you).

Another victory for the judicial process. The rice scheme was the worst scandal of its kind in the country's history. It was rife with corruption and kickbacks, monies diverted, fishy deals, farmers ill treated, rice farming industry decimated, the GDP plunging as a result of the debt, and Thailand taken off the top tier as rice exporter in the world for the first time in three decades. Yingluck's defense continues in the Senate as this proceeds constitutionally.

You may consider it a victory for the Thai judicial process - as politicized as it is. In the eyes of the international observer, it is a huge defeat for Thailand and its reputation as a democratic society. Most international observers are not really interested in all the finer details - they just see a judicial system that, for the third time in a decade, has ousted a democratically elected Govt. I am in no way condoning what YL and her colleagues have done - quite the opposite. I just think we need to recognize what Thailand's reputation will be as a result of these 'decisions' by the various courts.

By the way, the fall in GDP has little if anything to do with the debt - its fall by nearly 2% is directly attributable to Suthep and his mates and the effect their extended protests have had on the economy. I've just seen that S & P may well downgrade Thailand further which will make any sort of recovery even more difficult and protracted.

You hit the nail on the head with 'Most international observers are not really interested in all the finer details'. The shallow 'news' from the likes of the BBC, CNN, FOX (faux) will certainly have comment from their own biased positions. Thailand won't be bothered.

Unfortunately you repeat the lie that Suthep is responsible for the 'fall' in GDP. First, GDP hasn't fallen only the forecasts have dropped. SEcond the economy was in serious trouble long (in 2013) before the protests started. There was a technical recession during 2013.

The economy will falter again if the crisis isn't resolved and, yes, Suthep will have played a part but PTP mismanagement will have been the main culprit.

An excellent point with respect to how Thailand judicial system is viewed outside the country. I watched the decision of the Constitution Court unfold yesterday and the mechanics of the justice system continue to amaze me. The CC relied heavily on the testimony presented to the Administrative Court in the action brought by Thawil. Facts, that prior to yesterday, I never saw reported by any media. Secrecy aside, the CC acted as though it was an appellant court in this instance instead of creating an entirely new record which it should have done IMHO. In the worst case scenario, Yingluck was guilty of nepotism in transferring Thawil. Nepotism is a form of corruption but certainly not one that would be regarded as so serious as to topple a PM in other countries. Thawil had his day in court and was reinstated. There is a real problem with transparency in the judiciary and it reflects a paternalistic attitude that judges are above the law. Every politician and civil servant, including judges, need to be held accountable. Transparency is the cure. And if elections are not held soon, the Thai economy could crumble as you note. Suthep action's could cost the country more money than what is being alleged by the losses attributed to the rice scheme. Who will hold him accountable?

Edited by pookiki
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I like it...

But....but.... Suthep, Abhisit..........what about their crimes of genocide? alt=facepalm.gif>

They are Yellow and are both close to the CC and NACC. They could have killed 20,000 red people's in 2010 and still would not face a judge. TIT

Impeach her? She's gone already.

She is gone, but still needs to be punished. I'm guessing she will get a fine of around 600 billion(or however much it is found that her clan have stolen from the Thai people) and with any luck a lengthy prison sentence to deter any future politician from emptying the state's coffers to enrich their family in such an arrogant and blatant manner. Fair is fair.

The punishment is irrelevant because she will flee and the fine will be minuscule compared to the damages. That's the sad truth on Thai laws, but still I suppose it's better than nothing.

Amazing how Suthep still walks the street despite all the warrants out for him.

Amazing how Thaksin still walks the street despite his conviction, not only walks the streets but runs the Govt.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Their are claims that the NACC are corrupt, bias agency that are abusing their powers. Most people wouldn't disagree with that assessment.

Once the dust is settled, hopefully justice is served to the members of this group and they go behind bars.

Slight typo? Most people wouldn't agree with that assessment. I don't see the evidence that this court is corrupt. I do however; see a corrupt political party being held accountable. I applaud the courts for bravely doing their duty to stop political corruption. There was a time when this courts judges

were more friendly to the shin a whats? Those of you who were here before the Thaskin era knows that Thaskin barely scatted through his first premiership. Thaskin was blatantly hiding his vast fortune anywhere he could. Maybe and hopefully the Thaskin shin a what era has come to an end.

Hip Hip Hoora!

It seems that you don't spend any time reading papers, watching the news or looking on the internet.

Because if you did, you don't have to post this question, remark.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Go on then dustchissan, enlighten me, itemise it.

With evidence, citing court cases with a result.

Endless allegations don't count.

Perhaps you can tell me why not even the GT200 scandal has resulted in any convictions but a PM and half the cabinet, are removed for re-assigning a civil servant, an election is nullified because of an ex leader of the Democrat party obstructing lawful registration of candidates and blocking voters and we have a Democrat Party that will not face an electorate?

And there are those on here who insist this is not a "political" judgement ??

In exactly the same way another PM was removed for participation in a cooking show...............

It's about as impartial as my mother in law.

What has happened in the last 24hrs tramples on the rights of the electorate, will outrage 1/2 the population and I doubt very much is good for Thailand.

Impeach her? She's gone already.

She is gone, but still needs to be punished. I'm guessing she will get a fine of around 600 billion(or however much it is found that her clan have stolen from the Thai people) and with any luck a lengthy prison sentence to deter any future politician from emptying the state's coffers to enrich their family in such an arrogant and blatant manner. Fair is fair.

The punishment is irrelevant because she will flee and the fine will be minuscule compared to the damages. That's the sad truth on Thai laws, but still I suppose it's better than nothing.

It's not a fine; she could be compelled to pay damages.

I been living here for over 10 years and seen it all and everytime a PM is replaced it is a laughing stock and no new in the rest of the world.

My Thai family is not exited and worried not about anything, only lots of Farang here that can not vote make a big dealt about it and I find it very amusing to say the least.

They forget we are guest here and let the Thais sorted out and it is not our problem but theirs.

Edited by hardy1943
  • Like 1

Their are claims that the NACC are corrupt, bias agency that are abusing their powers. Most people wouldn't disagree with that assessment.

Once the dust is settled, hopefully justice is served to the members of this group and they go behind bars.

Slight typo? Most people wouldn't agree with that assessment. I don't see the evidence that this court is corrupt. I do however; see a corrupt political party being held accountable. I applaud the courts for bravely doing their duty to stop political corruption. There was a time when this courts judges

were more friendly to the shin a whats? Those of you who were here before the Thaskin era knows that Thaskin barely scatted through his first premiership. Thaskin was blatantly hiding his vast fortune anywhere he could. Maybe and hopefully the Thaskin shin a what era has come to an end.

Hip Hip Hoora!

The NACC is not a court; it is a scrutiny and investigation agency. If it finds grounds for impeachment, then the case goes to the Senate, which in effect becomes the court. If the case involves criminal charges, then it goes to a division of the Supreme Court. If it involves others. it is judged by the relevant court.

For example, today's decision by the NACC in the first instance means that the Senate has to consider and then vote upon whether or not to impeach on the basis of the evidence. If the Senate votes against impeachment, that's the end of this aspect of the case.

I like it...

But....but.... Suthep, Abhisit..........what about their crimes of genocide?facepalm.gif

As long as you feel happy with yourself joking about the deaths of 96 people by referring to a genocide, feel free. I'm just glad I'm not you.

Hush up and enjoy the party Fabby. Beers are on me!

Where's the party? If you're buying the beers, i'll be there. Any dress code?

Could I suggest you don't turn up wearing a red shirt?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

NACC indicts Yingluck, asks Senate to impeach her as PM

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission Thursday voted unanimously to indict former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra in the rice-pledging case.

The NACC will forward the case to the Senate to consider impeaching her, the NACC announced at a press conference at 4 pm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-05-08

--------------------------

NATIONAL ANTI-CORRUPTION COMMISSION

Yingluck indicted for violating charter in rice-pledging scheme

BANGKOK: -- National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) on Thursday unanimously agreed to indict former premier Yingluck Shinawatra for allegedly having intent to exercise power against Article 178 of the Constitution concerning rice-pledging scheme.

NACC will forward the case to the Senate to seek Yinglucks impeachment. If found guilty, Yingluck, who was removed from the premiership on Wednesday over abuse of power over unlawful transfer of an official, will be banned from politics for five years.

The anti-graft agency will further investigate to decide whether to take criminal charge against Yingluck for allegedly dereliction of duty under Section 157 of the Criminal Court and Negligence of duty under the Commission Act BA 2542.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-05-08

After living here for 30 years and seeing 10 Prime Ministers I think that we have to recognize that others have done nothing for Thailand. Thailand is a strong country where there is no poverty and unemployment. This country has been on a difficult trail to democracy since 1932 and has made great progress inspite of rotten civilian governments. Look around south east Asia, Thailand is growing and doing good. The road to democracy is long and hard especially in Asia. The army and others hanging over the head of democracy slows down the speed. The economy is strong and this country will grow and do good inspite of the poor purchased members of parliament. The road is a rocky and difficult one but Thai people love freedom. If they can give up selling their votes then we can get there a lot faster. THIS IS A GOOD COUNTRY MAKING GOOD PROGRESS!

There is still plenty of poverty in Thailand.

• Like 1