Integrating into the Thai culture

Hal65

As a foreigner, do you think it makes sense to at least try to integrate into the Thai culture

Absolutely no sense at all.....allow me to put this perspective on it....I know quite a few " 100% foreigners" who are actually Thai citizens/have the passport, speak read, write fluent Thai and even they will tell you, you will never be fully accepted as one of their "own"

The ones who run around, trying desperately to "intergrate" dressing the same/mannerisms etc. are wannabee's...

"I'm willing to talk and act with them at their level"

Let me put it this way, that remark is very patronizing on one level, but one could also ask...are your really that insecure or desperate to be accepted, that you would change who you are to be accepted ?

Bravo sir. After 18 years I gave up and left after being let down by some very long term friends.

If I go back I will live my life in glorious isolation and not bend one inch.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a foreigner, do you think it makes sense to at least try to integrate into the Thai culture

Absolutely no sense at all.....allow me to put this perspective on it....I know quite a few " 100% foreigners" who are actually Thai citizens/have the passport, speak read, write fluent Thai and even they will tell you, you will never be fully accepted as one of their "own"

The ones who run around, trying desperately to "intergrate" dressing the same/mannerisms etc. are wannabee's...

"I'm willing to talk and act with them at their level"

Let me put it this way, that remark is very patronizing on one level, but one could also ask...are your really that insecure or desperate to be accepted, that you would change who you are to be accepted ?

According to your few friends, what is the reason they are not fully accepted and where/how does it show ? Edited by benalibina
  • Like 1

If a Thai living in Australia, the UK or US asked you the same question what would you tell them?

I don't live in Thailand or know it that well but I think TV posters confuse human nature with 'Thai-ness'

Edited by AshRegister

You'll need a brain transplant if you really want to integrate!

Making a serious attempt in understanding is good, mimicking or imitating Thais is just nonsense and will only make you look ridiculous for both Thais and foreigners.

I was told what to do.First time I met Papa who is a lot younger but a high ranking officer in the Thai Army I waied him.That gesture has done a lot for me over the years

part of the culture is that it is realxed and not as judgmental as many other cultures… For me it is a very comfortable culture. I live in a small village - I speak the language and understand their ways… Does that make me Thai, no. Do I "try" to be Thai - no. I think they are happy that i assimilated as much as I have but truth is, other than having the well-being of my family in common, I don't have that much in common with most Thais…

ps - I am not sure how much I have in common or feel comfortable with many of the people and ways of the culture I was born into...

I am just me -

Advice: Be yourself and if you want adopt the parts of the culture that you feel comfortable with, but sure, learn the language, it will help you to understand and learn something new.

• Like 2

There is acceptance of some aspects of the culture and of integrating such social behaviours so as to be respectful and decent, and then there is being a fool. It is common sense. Thais are not willing to accept foreigners especially those who do not share Thai physical features. Thailand is an inherently racist country.

It should be pointed out that Thais from all ranks in society marry foreigners and that Thai/foreigner children are the models of beauty not only in beauty pageants but TV and movies as well. I believe Edward VIII had to abdicate the throne because he married an American so Thailand is not alone in odd laws about foreigners.

1. Integration: individuals are able to adopt the cultural norms of the dominant or host culture while maintaining their culture of origin. Integration leads to, and is often synonymous with biculturalism
  2. Assimilation: individuals adopt the cultural norms of a dominant or host culture, over their original culture
  3. Separation: individuals reject the dominant or host culture in favour of preserving their culture of origin. Separation is often facilitated by immigration to ethnic enclaves
  4. Marginalization: occurs when individuals reject both their culture of origin and the dominant host culture

Each style depends on the relationship with the own ethnic group and the majority in the immigration country.

Integration tends the be positive both ways, but may not be possible for all aspects of life.

Attached Files

This contribution ( above) is worth noting as a resourceful guide for navigating acculturation.

I also like the comment by

AshRegister

Posted Today, 04:15

If a Thai living in Australia, the UK or US asked you the same question what would you tell them?

I don't live in Thailand or know it that well but I think TV posters confuse human nature with 'Thai-ness'

On the other hand;I find some of the other posts to be pedestrian,redneck,jaded.

Does anyone know what is the average educational level of the membership?

I find a few of the other posts informative and educational.

Edited by CMDAWI
  • Like 2

There is acceptance of some aspects of the culture and of integrating such social behaviours so as to be respectful and decent, and then there is being a fool. It is common sense. Thais are not willing to accept foreigners especially those who do not share Thai physical features. Thailand is an inherently racist country.

It should be pointed out that Thais from all ranks in society marry foreigners and that Thai/foreigner children are the models of beauty not only in beauty pageants but TV and movies as well. I believe Edward VIII had to abdicate the throne because he married an American so Thailand is not alone in odd laws about foreigners.

Edward had to abdicate because Mrs Simpson was a divorcee and had a reputation. His family wouldn't allow the marriage, nor would the public accept it, so he had a choice; Don't marry her or abdicate. It was not a law of the land.

Just a point.

• Like 1

Those Thai/Foreign mixed children are often subject to abuse. Unless the kid has the benefit of parents who instil self worth and confidence, that child often ends up with a lot of emotional baggage and struggles to find his/her place in society . For every model of beauty from the mixed marriage there are 99 who are just as "ugly" as those who do not come from a mixed marriage, and of the 100 beauties who can make it on to a soap, or entertainment show, 99 of those beauties are tossed to the scrap heap once they each a certain age. In the words of the Jam, "That's Entertainment".

As for your example of Edward VIII, it is downright silly. Mrs. Simpson was a married woman, a gold digger, and just plain disgusting. Eddie was an irresponsible profligate abuser of the public purse and key political leaders knew that the Nazi sympathizer had to go. As head of the Church of England he could not marry a twice divorced woman, particularly if one of her spouses was still alive. It was not an odd law in respect to a foreigner. Rather, it was part and parcel of the responsibilities and obligations that attached to the position as King of England. Edward had to choose between the sexual delights of the manipulative harpy from Hades, and his duty to the people, from whom his large allowance and position was granted. Thankfully, his brother was there to do the right thing and sacrifice himself for his country, something the immature and selfish Edward would not do.

• Like 1

I find a few of the other posts informative and educational.

Welcome to Thaivisa. Use the quote button at the bottom right hand side when replying to a post.

welcomeani.gifsignthaivisa.gif

Edited by Morakot

Good post.I would agree 100% with you Sir

As farangs on Thai discussion boards we tend to think Thai's don't have opinions about us. Of course they do, they laugh at our habits, they criticise our behaviour much the same as we do to them. The only difference is we do it on the internet they do it face to face.

I try to respect Thai culture every day!

But since I see everyday then Thais have problem to accept and understand my culture, sometimes I getting mad of it!

If I would do same way with Thai culture then Thais not accept my culture or diffrent thinking the roof get on fire!

As farangs on Thai discussion boards we tend to think Thai's don't have opinions about us. Of course they do, they laugh at our habits, they criticise our behaviour much the same as we do to them. The only difference is we do it on the internet they do it face to face.

You obliviously haven't read pantip.

• Like 1

You're a guest. Behave as you would hope a guest of yours would behave. But integration? Thais are even more insular than Brits (and that's saying something), so by all means try but don't be disappointed with the results.

Op, if you really want an easy, hassle free time here, do not mix with the natives. :P

Seriously, some surprisingly well measured replies and a refreshing lack of invective from either side... you know, from the bash Thai brigade and Thaier than Thai folk.

Geriatric and Soutpeel are spot on.

They may respect you for respecting their culture, being humble and dressing neatly, but trying to be like them utterly might make you come across as meek and unworthy of respect.

Many newbies have the same intent, a want for assimilation, to be accepted as equal. But as cool and accepting as they may seem on the surface, to be one of them is just not possible. Harsh as it is, you do not look right, you are from another world.

As others say, just be yourself, but do learn the language, don't speak too loudly, wear clean clothes, only wai (at the right height -- tips of fingers under nose is good) when warranted and, most importantly, don't be taken for a mug.

You're a guest. Behave as you would hope a guest of yours would behave. But integration? Thais are even more insular than Brits (and that's saying something), so by all means try but don't be disappointed with the results.

Well, there had to be one! Brits insular? It is one of the most integrated of societies. Please tell us where you're from so we can all have a laugh and do remove that chip from your shoulder.

• Like 1

I find most people in my village are happy if you can speak a bit of the language,smile and say hello,and are polite,i would not call this intergration,but it makes for an easy life,i will always be a Falang to them, but i lived 15 years in Australia and was still called a pom.

With many aspects of Thai culture or daily life crossing moral lines it is largely impossible to "become" Thai without losing your moral compass.

• Like 1

I think like SeaStallion that we should learn some basic etiquette and manners in Thailand so we don't inadvertently insult someone, but assimilate, I'm not so sure. We should at least try if staying long term to learn the language.

But we can appear to be trying too hard. I lived in Egypt before and if I wore a fez and long white robe I would be seen as a joke, like the backpackers wearing all Thai stuff and waiing the spirit houses as mentioned.

I love living here in Thailand but I will always be a Canadian and that is exactly what my Thai friends (and my students) like about me. They love telling me about their country and are fascinated to hear about mine.