Another poll unlikely while political tension remains: EC

Lite Beer

POLITICS
Another poll unlikely while political tension remains: EC
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung,
Chanikarn Phumhiran
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Another election is unlikely to be staged if the bad political atmosphere remains, Election Commission chairman Supachai Somcharoen said yesterday.

However, Supachai said the situation had to be evaluated day-to-day and the EC would also invite leaders of the military and security agencies to join a meeting between the EC and the caretaker government on Wednesday.

The EC and the government had earlier reached an agreement that an election should be held on July 20, with some conditions.

But the election agency has had problems drafting the Royal Decree for the election and has asked the government for another meeting.

"If we cannot keep the July 20 schedule, we have to postpone it, but until when will be up to EC member Somchai Srisutthiyakorn to manage as he is in charge of holding the election. We have to consult with many parties involved," Supachai said.

He added that the EC did not want a repetition of the mistakes made in the nullified February 2 election, which was a waste of taxpayers' money.

Supachai said the EC was doing its job to the best of its ability and without any intention of delaying the election.

EC secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong said the government had accepted the invitation.

Puchong said caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana had sent a reply saying the participants would include caretaker PM's Office Minister Varathep Ratanakorn, caretaker Justice Minister Chaikasem Nitisiri, the secretary-generals of the Cabinet and the Council of State, as well as the permanent secretaries of defence and the interior and the national police chief.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-10

Why can't the police and national guard be called out to prevent violence during candidate registration and during voting? After all, we know who is behind the electoral violence

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Why doesn't the chairman of the EC just go to the anti government stage and hug Suthep. Amazing the chairman of the EC is doing everything possible to not have elections.

Well, the man was right last time when he didn't want the election because it wouldn't work. It was only throwing away a few billion baht more. Peanuts for the YL-government perhaps, but still a waste of money.

Maybe if the army would do as in any civilized country and protect candidate registrations and polls due to the disrupting protests, elections would have worked and would work.

It seems EC chairman is waiting something to happen, likely some party or all of its member be banned...

Independent agency? Pfffttt...

• Like 2

Why doesn't the chairman of the EC just go to the anti government stage and hug Suthep. Amazing the chairman of the EC is doing everything possible to not have elections.

Well, the man was right last time when he didn't want the election because it wouldn't work. It was only throwing away a few billion baht more. Peanuts for the YL-government perhaps, but still a waste of money.

Its not his job to just give up because the atmosphere is tough.

He is the election commission. Not the "I might not fancy and election" commission.

Not very smart of you! But maybe you think its ok to just keep wasting millions and millions of baht. If the courts already nullified the last elections because they were not held on the same day what makes you think it wont happen again!

Surely you know its not the ECs fault. They are ready to do their job. Or maybe you just like making everyone else take the blame the same a yourr typical PTP member

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I think a major stumbling block to the process is the fact that there is no legal Care Taker PM to sign the decree until the Senate elect one, not to mention that the majority of Thai people want reforms first

Edited by smedly

All the yellow shirts knock thaksin for being corrupt and having people in his pockets.

I think the red shirts are wondering who are the faceless men controlling and influencing all these recent decisions.

When and if the date is set the backlash from all this will only result in a huge PTP victory .

So the yellows definitely are trying every means possible to avoid this.

• Like 2

All the yellow shirts knock thaksin for being corrupt and having people in his pockets.

I think the red shirts are wondering who are the faceless men controlling and influencing all these recent decisions.

When and if the date is set the backlash from all this will only result in a huge PTP victory .

So the yellows definitely are trying every means possible to avoid this.

your first line.......???....my answer and why wouldnt people knock him...you make it sound like he stole 30 baht from his mums purse...

• Like 1

Perhaps political tensions would be reduced by actually getting free & fair elections completed without intimidation.

Rather than continue to delay have the balls to proceed.

Totally agree with this, but to do this Reform has to be done to enable this to occur. If there is no reform as you said fair elections can never be held.

It stands out a mile. I cannot for the life of me see why pro gov posters will not go along with this. I speak like this as we do not have a say in what happens out there only try to be honest with our posts.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

There will always be tensions and "disruptions" because the opposition cannot and will not win....

I do notice one or two hardcore pro gov posters are missing, yesterday/today we have some newbies with the SAME rhetoric --coincidence ?????coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Maybe if the army would do as in any civilized country and protect candidate registrations and polls due to the disrupting protests, elections would have worked and would work.

It seems EC chairman is waiting something to happen, likely some party or all of its member be banned...

Another newbie pro government poster, will have to see who else has gone. strange.

• Like 2

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Yes. Election is the evil of the Western world.

Thai people have been living in peace in the land of plentiful (Golden land where fish in the water, rice in the field), until this corrupted idea was bought in almost 100 years ago.

The abolish of slave was another one.

Edited by chotthee
  • Like 1

EC uncertain if election can be held on July 20

BANGKOK, 10 April 2014 (NNT) – The Election Commission (EC) is unsure whether the general election will be held on July 20, citing the remaining political tension as the reason.

According to Supachai Somcharoen, Chairman of the Election Commission (EC), the political situation has to be assessed on a daily basis and it is very unlikely that the election will take place unless the tensions ease off. He, however, expressed his belief that the election will take place eventually but it is only the question of when. The EC and the government earlier reached an agreement that an election should be held on July 20

He added that if July 20 is deemed too risky for an election, it may have to be postponed.

The EC on May 14th will hold a meeting with the government to discuss who will be drafting the Royal Decree for the election.

The EC does not want to see this election get nullified like the one held on February 2nd, while affirming that the election commissioners are doing the best they possibly could and by no means intend to delay the poll as claimed by many.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-10 footer_n.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why can't the police and national guard be called out to prevent violence during candidate registration and during voting? After all, we know who is behind the electoral violence

That only works till the troops have to shoot their mother , father ,sister , brother, etc etc and it ends up like the student revolt 76, they put their guns down and defected to the protesters ,the Junta was finished or in this case the PTP will be. For every action there is a reaction!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not very smart of you! But maybe you think its ok to just keep wasting millions and millions of baht. If the courts already nullified the last elections because they were not held on the same day what makes you think it wont happen again!
Surely you know its not the ECs fault. They are ready to do their job. Or maybe you just like making everyone else take the blame the same a yourr typical PTP member

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Democracy is priceless. You do not put a price tag on it.

Another newbie pro government poster, will have to see who else has gone. strange.

I am a member and mainly a lurker since October 2006, I don't like to post often because the easy judging people writing here. Are you one of them?

You told me I am a pro government, but you went totally off target. I am just against lies and so I am totally against the so-called independent agencies of this country for a starter...

• Like 2

Perhaps political tensions would be reduced by actually getting free & fair elections completed without intimidation.

Rather than continue to delay have the balls to proceed.

Totally agree with this, but to do this Reform has to be done to enable this to occur. If there is no reform as you said fair elections can never be held.

It stands out a mile. I cannot for the life of me see why pro gov posters will not go along with this. I speak like this as we do not have a say in what happens out there only try to be honest with our posts.thumbsup.gif

Ginjag,

You have always seemed like one of the more reasonable anti-democracy posters. I believe that the country needs elections quickly to show who really speaks with the voice of the people. I also agree that there needs to be reform, but the reforms I wish for are different to yours and will not happen for a very long time.

Your second paragraph seems like a genuine plea from the heart for understanding and I will answer it honestly. I cannot go along with trusting the anti-democracy forces as I feel that it would not be fair to change the election law just to prevent one man (Family) from being elected.

A word on Taksin, I do not believe that his crimes were that serious in comparison to the crimes committed by other politicians and that the witch hunt carried out by the courts has removed any legitimacy that they judicial system had in the eyes of the common people. Note that I do not say that he (they) was innocent, but many of the people I talk to do believe it.

I will only reply to you on this thread as I am getting very bored with all of the ranters on here.

• Like 1

I think the army has no interest in supporting a corrupt mafia against the population. They learned the lessons of history and keep their fingers out of it.

well most of the newbie pro gov posters aren't exactly newbies....they were just born again....

I am a member and mainly a lurker since October 2006, I don't like to post often because the easy judging people writing here. Are you one of them?

You told me I am a pro government, but you went totally off target. I am just against lies and so I am totally against the so-called independent agencies of this country for a starter...

No I am not one of any of who you think.

Your line of thinking-re army.. Why in heavens name should we HAVE to have the army involved in polls, politics, disorder ??? So why didn't you speak on the lines---POLICES JOB. if so why didn't the government revise this franchise and make it control ALL the civilian problems---instead of hiding behind trees and stopping motorists for tea money ??

It was a coincidence that you posted when some posters have gone due to saving face. My post was in no way personal and I should not jump to conclusions, BUT again we do when we get denial gov posters posting on the one topic only. TVF posters normally post on a vast amount of different topics, but a minority dung stirrers are amongst us.

I get accused of being a yellow supporter because I highlight government wrongs --to me this is healthy.thumbsup.gif

Ever wonder why the Senate election went off without a hitch and no disruptions from the PDRC/PCAD? I did something this morning I should have done when it was first enacted - I read the most recent Constitution. What an eye opener! The cries for reform by the PDRC are nothing but a facade.

The ability for any political party to change the constitution is limited to only cosmetic changes. However, the PDRC wants to remove the last vestige of democracy under the Constitution -- the right for the people to have an elected parliament and a PM designated from the majority party. This 'reform' is nothing but a naked power grab. The PDRC wants to foment a military coup because the judicial coup is not enough for them. Once there is a military coup, a new Constitution that is more undemocratic than the existing one will be on the way.

• Like 1

No I am not one of any of who you think.

Your line of thinking-re army.. Why in heavens name should we HAVE to have the army involved in polls, politics, disorder ??? So why didn't you speak on the lines---POLICES JOB. if so why didn't the government revise this franchise and make it control ALL the civilian problems---instead of hiding behind trees and stopping motorists for tea money ??

It was a coincidence that you posted when some posters have gone due to saving face. My post was in no way personal and I should not jump to conclusions, BUT again we do when we get denial gov posters posting on the one topic only. TVF posters normally post on a vast amount of different topics, but a minority dung stirrers are amongst us.

I get accused of being a yellow supporter because I highlight government wrongs --to me this is healthy.thumbsup.gif

No problem, as you admit you were wrong about me to be a newbie it's alright for me.

In my country, police and army are always involved for make sure polls will be held without problems.

I think for show a bit of neutrality as everyone says army is with protesters and police with the government, EC (and government) could have asked help to both forces, but nothing has been done, with (in my opinion) the clear intention by EC to not have elections, or as it happened having them so disrupted that had to been canceled.

OK, guys. Back to the topic. Please remember our forum rules:

7) Respect fellow members by posting in a civil manner: do not launch personal attacks, or be hateful or insulting towards other members, ie No flaming

wai2.gif