Chinese tourists drop over half

Lite Beer

Chinese tourists drop over half

IMGP9594-wpcf_728x413.jpg

Thailand’s political turmoil has started to take toll on the number of Chinese tourists visiting the Kingdom with arrivals declining over 50%.

Vice president of Thai-Chinese Tourism Association Mr Anek Sricheewachart said Thailand’s political turmoil has dampened tourism industry with now the number of Chinese tourists visiting the Kingdom saw a year-on-year drop of 41-68% and continues declining amid political chaos.

At the same time vice chairman of Thai-Chinese Business Council Vikrom Kromadit stressed that political conflicts can be resolved and the new poll date can be scheduled through peace dialogues.

He urged all parties to accept election results as internal conflicts have severely dragged down the country’s competitiveness, citing that a few Japanese firms have already shifted their investment to ASEAN neighbours including Vietnam and Indonesia.

Board of Investment (BOI) says it will continue reviewing large-scale projects applying for BOI incentives despite the Constitutional Court’s removal of former caretaker PM Yingluck Shinawatra and nine of her cabinets from offices for abusing of power.

Secretary-general Udom Wongviwatchai stressed the BOI’s performance will be unaffected by the removal of the then premier Yingluck, who was chairperson of BOI board, since Deputy Premier Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan has been appointed by the remaining caretaker cabinet to be acting prime minister.
Niwatthamrong will serve as the new chairman for the BOI board of executives, while Udom will serve as the chairman of the BOI subcommittee and the BOI is set to complete its revision of large-scale projects valued 7.5 billion baht within the next 3-4 month.

The BOI secretary general said he believed that 90 per cent of investors would not shift their investments and operations to other countries, while the remaining 10 percent claimed they would have to monitor the situation.

This year’s investment applications will be between 700-900 billion baht, following prolonged political impasse.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/IMGP9594-wpcf_728x413.jpg

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-10

Noooo....that can't be right. The numbers are never down, it's always up no matter what happens. TAT should check if their calculators are working fine or not.....

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Drop over half of what?cheesy.gif

Exactly.

This article needs some serious editing.

Do they mean the numbers drop by half?

I presume that's what they intended to say.

If you are going to publish such an article in what pretends to be a reputable and reliable and serious newspaper .... at least do some rewriting and/or editing before you publish it..

• Like 1

most of the Thais I know in Chiang Mai even the ones who have restaurants do not care for their business as they are loud and obnoxious

And they also seem to think that they are “God’s Gift” to Thailand.

• Like 1

Noooo....that can't be right. The numbers are never down, it's always up no matter what happens. TAT should check if their calculators are working fine or not.....

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe they bought cheap calculators from China

• Like 2

Glad to see there are so many happy Chinese tourist numbers have dropped by such a huge number.

Well done Suthep, Mad Monk et all. Wonder how many Thais are loosing their jobs?

And we now await the figures from tourists from other countries who are choosing different destinations.

• Like 2

They didn't mention that the main reason for the sharp drop in Chinese tourism was the Chinese govt ban on zero dollar tours. No effort to compare the effect on Chinese tourism to other countries. In short, a worthless article.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1