Switching from Non-B to Non-O. Anything I need to know?

Hi all.

2 things happened in my life almost simultaneously: I got married (to a Thai) and I've been transferred to work from Thailand to another country.

My WP has been cancelled but I still have my Non-B visa in my PP, which is valid until Nov 2014.

I don't think there're any issues with me continuing using this visa (or is there any issues??), but I will need a new visa after November.

1. I read some about getting a Non-O visa and it looks pretty straight forward, all I need is my PP, 4 x 6 cm photos, marriage certificate and a financial proof?

2. There is also a mention of Birth Certificate??? Do I need it for my Non-O based on marriage visa or is it only required for some other type of O visas?

3. Regarding the finances (20K bht per person or 40K bht per family), what kind of proof do they want to see? My Canadian bank account? My Thai bank account (which is on both,my wife's and my own names)? Cash?

4. I'd probably want to get the visa back at the Thai Embassy in Canada (Edmonton) as it usually takes 5-10 min with the correct paperwork (it was that long for my Non-B visas I got there in the past). Can I do that or do I have to get it from within Thailand?

5. I'd assume the marriage certificate would need to be translated to English and certified if I want to apply for this visa while in Canada?

6. With my 28 days on and 28 days off rotational schedule, I won't stay in the country for longer than one month (28 days), but I will be coming and going every month. Will I be affected by these new rules they're trying to impose?

Hate to break the bad news, when your work permit is cancelled so is your non B. You have to leave the country that day. 500 baht a day overstay upon exit. You can however request a 60 day extension to visit your wife. Better get to immigration quickly, good luck.

@inzman - I'm out of the country for work at the moment. If you're correct, can I get a visa on arrival then? I'm coming back to Thailand end of the month, for a few days, before flying back to Canada.

Edited by Shurup

Do you have a multiple entry non-b visa you got from an embassy or consulate? A visa does not go away when your job ends.

If you have an extension of stay from immigration it ends on the date you loose your job.

Yes it is a multiple entry non-b visa. Got it from a Thai consulate in Edmonton.

I honestly don't know what is an extension to stay. I've been coming and going for 6 years and every time I arrive (mostly by air and sometimes by land), they'd check my visa and give me a 90 days stamp, which wasn't necessary as I never stayed that long at one time. Once in a while they were stamping my passport with the same date as the visa's expiry date so I could have stayed for almost a year?

Are those entry stamps called the extensions to stay?

Sent from my mobile, whatever mobile it is.

Hate to break the bad news, when your work permit is cancelled so is your non B. You have to leave the country that day. 500 baht a day overstay upon exit. You can however request a 60 day extension to visit your wife. Better get to immigration quickly, good luck.

Hate to break the bad news but you should really not comment on something you clearly have zero knowledge about.

• Like 2

Yes it is a multiple entry non-b visa. Got it from a Thai consulate in Edmonton.

I honestly don't know what is an extension to stay. I've been coming and going for 6 years and every time I arrive (mostly by air and sometimes by land), they'd check my visa and give me a 90 days stamp, which wasn't necessary as I never stayed that long at one time. Once in a while they were stamping my passport with the same date as the visa's expiry date so I could have stayed for almost a year?

Are those entry stamps called the extensions to stay?

Sent from my mobile, whatever mobile it is.

You apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration. With an extension you do not have to leave the country every 90 days. You just make reports to immigration if you stay longer than 90 days.

You don't have to worry about a new visa until November or longer if you make an entry just before your visa expires. Then you can apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage.

To apply for your multiple entry non-o visa you will just need your marriage certificate, (possibly translated to English for Edmonton no certification needed) , copies of your wife's house book and ID card. Edmonton may just want her ID copy or passport photo. page. The financial proof you mentioned in your OP is not normally asked for when applying for a visa,

You can also apply for the non-o in Savannakhet Laos during one of your trips back.here.

The new rules will not apply to you because you have a visa.

• 1 month later...

As it is getting closer for me to get a new visa, my wife and I started collecting documents.

We need some advise regarding the housebook.

What is the purpose of me providing a copy of a housebook? To show that I live there somewhere?

My wife is in her parents' housebook still, our little house is build on their land not far from their house and there is no housebook for my house AFAIK.

Technically I'm not on any housebook anywhere in Thaialnd, is that an issue?

Do I need to be on the housebook together with my wife?

Please advise.

go ask the immigration where you live what is required as each is different,

Than you can just get a single non O visa and get the extension in country

Proof of residence certificate is issued at immigration for 200-300 baht an you just put down a local address. an a note from your wife stating you live with her at such and such address ( or a rental contract)

Joe, that makes sense, thanks.

Proof of residence certificate is issued at immigration for 200-300 baht an you just put down a local address. an a note from your wife stating you live with her at such and such address ( or a rental contract)

Thanks for that Richard, it sounds easy to get it, but I will be applying from Canada at the Thai consulate in Edmonton, will they need it?

From all the reading and answers here, I thought I need these documents only:

1. Marriage certificate

2. Copy of her ID (and Passport?)

3. Copy of her house book

4. Proof of finances (maybe)

Joe, that makes sense, thanks.

Thanks for that Richard, it sounds easy to get it, but I will be applying from Canada at the Thai consulate in Edmonton, will they need it?

From all the reading and answers here, I thought I need these documents only:

1. Marriage certificate

2. Copy of her ID (and Passport?)

3. Copy of her house book

4. Proof of finances (maybe)

Since Edmonton is a honorary consulate you may need your marriage certificate translated to English (they have no That staff).

They will probably only want a copy of her passport photo page.

They probably will not ask for financial proof.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would give an update.

Got my visa a few days back from the Thai consulate in Edmonton. It was so easy I was in and out in 15 min. They didn't ask me for any particular list of documents, I have them everything I had (and I had everything just in case), they didn't study my documents, just shuffle through everything quick and gave me my visa. Will be back there next year for sure!

Thanks fir all the advice I got here.

• 11 months later...

Guys, I'm going to resurrect this topic as my Non-O based on marriage I got in Edmonton, would expire in one month.

Since I'm in Thailand now and have no plans going back to Edmonton any time soon, I'd need to apply from within Thailand, or one of the neighboring countries.

I guess I'd need financial proof now? Or is it still not needed when applying from outside of Thailand, say Laos?

If the proof is needed, now much is it?

How long money will need to be on the account or there is no time frame requirement?

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof needed.

You still have some time before you need to get a new visa. You can get another 90 day entry if you do it on or before the enter before date on your visa.

You could also apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. You could do in during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your visa,

• Like 1