I've got bugs in my chest!

buck99

No, I'm not hilusinating on drugs. I really do have bugs in my Chinese wood chest. In the USA we call them powder post beetles. I would assume its a similar bug here. I've tried spraying the interior/exterior with a bug spray like Raid. It seems to slow them down but not kill them. Does anyone have a DIY solution or better yet know a reputable exterminator that could get rid of the little bastards.

Thanks

Wrap / Tent it in plastic and fumigate it. Leave it tented for at least 24 hours....Now need to find the fumigating insecticide. Must be applied with proper care, as dangerous stuff. Obviously not in the house. If I can find I will post. MS>

Edited by moonseeker

A lot of Chinese chests were made from camphor laurel wood which repels a lot of moths etc. Obviously yours isn't so why not try naphthalene or camphor flakes/balls before using more toxic chemicals .

• Like 1

Place it in a plastic bag and put it into a freezer for 24 hours. It will kill everything.

Excellent idea! MS>

Just be sure tht in this humid environment the wood isn't swollen from absorbing some of the moisture from the air. Water is one of the few things that actually expands when frozen and could possibly crack the wood. Otherwise, this is a great idea. Just make sure about the prior statement first.

• Like 1

the cheapest is fire ,bugs are allergic to fire !

And be thorough, other furniture can be infested ,so burn all of your furniture ,also books ,mattresses,tv,.......and dont forget

the seats of your car and motosaik !!!!!!!!!

It costs only 1 mach or borough a lighter .

So, pombem solved !

What? Did i say "TV" ? Well ,slip of the tongue ,sorry,but too late now.coffee1.gif

Place it in a plastic bag and put it into a freezer for 24 hours. It will kill everything.

That's a good idea except for the fact the chest measure aprox 1 M X 1 M. x .6 M. Unfortunately my condo isn't equipped with a walk in freezer. How nice it would be to lock myself in on a hot day like today. :-)

Mothballs (naphthalene) are available here. They are good for sealed containers like chests and storage lockers. The naphthalene sublimates and the fumes permeate clothing and kill insects as well as their eggs. Use only in sealed containers, and keep away from pets. Most people find the scent pleasing or at least not objectionable. Better than spraying Raid all over your clothes.

Edited by attrayant

Sorry to disagree about the freezing thing, I'm a biologist and while it is true many bugs will be killed by freezing, it is equally true that many happily survive. I dont know about this particular bug. Also the moisture in the wood freezing and expanding is also a very real issue and could damage the chest.
However, wrapping it in a big sheet of plastic and letting off an insect "bomb" inside the bag is a very good idea. You should leave it wrapped up for several days just to make sure and yes do it outside. Insect bombs are generally available from 7/11 shops or Home mart shops.

• Like 1

At the hardware store you can also buy Chaindrite in a can which you can apply with a brush or a roller,also available in color and scentless.

Edited by jvs

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Try putting foul smelling clothes in there-socks/underwear-that should kill the buggers thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif>

That is likely to attract Thais...I mean flies...

• Like 2

If chest is too big for the freezer take it to an ice factory.

Some bigger hotels also have large freezing rooms.

It would be kind if you could also help OP formulating the request to the hotel employees ? biggrin.png

Tea tree oil is anti fungal, bacterial, viral and likely will repel insects also. It is non toxic but one should not drink it.

Can add a few ml's to a small amount of water, mix and spray the chest.

Sorry to disagree about the freezing thing, I'm a biologist and while it is true many bugs will be killed by freezing, it is equally true that many happily survive. I dont know about this particular bug. Also the moisture in the wood freezing and expanding is also a very real issue and could damage the chest.

However, wrapping it in a big sheet of plastic and letting off an insect "bomb" inside the bag is a very good idea. You should leave it wrapped up for several days just to make sure and yes do it outside. Insect bombs are generally available from 7/11 shops or Home mart shops.

This is a good idea.

With many bugs you dont even need the bomb part.

Wrapped in a sealed plastic bag alone and placed for a week in the sun would kill most anyway as incredible heat is delivered this way.

The problem is that these bugs may have laid eggs.

Still , bed bugs eggs die after only 24 hours if this proceedure is followed with a mattress.

Stick it in a plastic bag, buy a big can of Chaindrite (sp) as they said, the one with the long skinny sprayhead, stick the nozzle into the plastic bag,

empty the can, close bag, (keep children away,) this stuff is heavy shit open after 1 week, everything that moves will be dead.

He is correct about the freezing thing possibly not killing them. An example of a more delicate species that does this are frogs in more northern regions that actually freeze for the winter and reanimating during the Spring thaw. I cannot remember their name, sorry, but many insects are even more "durable" than these frogs.

The Ice-lab at Bangkok hospital in Pattaya offers to freeze you solid at -110 C for 3 minutes. (it's therapeutic they say)

Only the toughest of the tough bugs could brave this surely!