Death in Phuket of US tourist 'suspicious', say police

webfact

Death in Phuket of US tourist 'suspicious', say police
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Police are treating as suspicious the death of an American found half-naked in his hotel in Patong last night (May 12).

The 58-year-old, whose name is being withheld until relatives are informed, was found lying on the floor next to his bed in the PL House guesthouse on Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Rd, wearing just a shirt.

There was a large patch of blood on the sheets of the bed, and on the dead man’s arms. A scarf was tied around his right ankle.

Police noted that various items – a lamp and books – were strewn across the floor, along with a bottle of injectable medicine used to treat asthma, and a photo of the dead man with a male friend.

The noted that the man, a native of New Jersey, had bookings in the guesthouse from May 1 until next Thursday (May 15), and had prepaid with his credit card.

Although investigators tend to believe his death probably came about because of the asthma, they are also examining the possibility that there may have been a sexual angle, and they took security footage from the guesthouse to check for visitors to his room.

The United States Embassy has been informed.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/death-in-phuket-of-us-tourist-%E2%80%98suspicious%E2%80%99-say-police-46243.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-14

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how contaminated the scene is now and what evidence has been recorded in the whole room and the body.So much can be found if there is a proper CSI .Do they follow such procedure in Phuket?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

As the Thai political protests continue, I wonder when if the police will simply cease to function? Worrisome in the vein of "Got a score to settle? Go for it, there won't be any down side risk"

I wonder how contaminated the scene is now and what evidence has been recorded in the whole room and the body.So much can be found if there is a proper CSI .Do they follow such procedure in Phuket?

I don't know. I wasn't there. I haven't spoken to anyone that was there or that is associated with the case.

I only read what is available and any more is conjecture.

RIP Dear Man.

• Like 1

Based on this report anyway, yes, definitely a suspicious death.

I have a specific question about the asthma aspect though.

I am not aware of an injectable asthma drug that asthma suffers carry.

They generally carry INHALERS.

Perhaps they are talking about an EPIPEN device, which are very common?

Epipens are kits that people who have severe allergies (such as bee stings) carry to give on the spot emergency treatment in response to an anaphylactic shock allergic reaction which includes labored breathing and leads to death. People with asthma often also have these kinds of severe allergies (though not all). They are injected.

The garment ties at the ankle. Quite odd.

Was it tied tied like a tourniquet?

Edited by Jingthing

Phuket Police rule out foul play in death of American
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Police today ruled out the possibility of criminal activity in the death of a 57-year-old American tourist whose body was found in his room at a Patong guesthouse on Monday.

The body of New Jersey man John Randolph Grieg was discovered partially clothed and lying face down on the floor near his bed by PL House staff at about 11pm.

There were signs of heavy blood loss, explained Lt Col Sutthichai Thianpho of the Patong Police.

“Mr Grieg’s medical records show that he had undergone surgery in another country for gastrointestinal bleeding,” Col Sutthichai said.

Police ruled out criminal activity after inspecting the scene and reviewing hotel CCTV.

“After we ruled out any criminal activity, internal bleeding was named as the cause of death," Col Suttichai said.

Mr Grieg had checked in on May 1 and was due to check out on May 15.

— Thawit Bilabdullar

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Police-rule-foul-play-death-American/29440

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-14

"Mr Griegs medical records show that he had undergone surgery in another country for gastrointestinal bleeding, Col Sutthichai said."

And this is why the intelligent TV community refrains from commenting until further facts are released.

The poor guy had a pretty rough ending by the sound of it.

The guy removed his pants because they were bloodsoaked and he was probably in the bathroom on the toilet or shower trying to clean up.

The scarf tied around the leg was likely applied as a bandage higher on the leg and slipped down.

This type of bleeding is sometimes found with severe hemorrhoids or sufferers of Crohns Disease.

He must have been accustomed to bleeding for this to not have concerned him enough to seek medical treatment and the blood loss eventually resulted in shock and death.

Edited by ClutchClark

"Mr Griegs medical records show that he had undergone surgery in another country for gastrointestinal bleeding, Col Sutthichai said."

And this is why the intelligent TV community refrains from commenting until further facts are released.

The guy removed his pants because they were bloodsoaked and he was probably in the bathroom on the toilet or shower trying to clean up.

The scarf tied around the leg was likely applied as a bandage higher on the leg and slipped down.

This type of bleeding is sometimes found with severe hemorrhoids or sufferers of Crohns Disease.

He must have been accustomed to bleeding for this to not have concerned him enough to seek medical treatment and the blood loss eventually resulted in shock and death.

RIP my Dad had bleeding rushed him to Hospital but was to late to save him everybody most people today woke up on the wrong side f the bed just my 2 cents

• Like 1

I don't know. I wasn't there. I haven't spoken to anyone that was there or that is associated with the case.

I only read what is available and any more is conjecture.

RIP Dear Man.

If you dont know or know of phuket police's ways of dealing with "suspicious" deaths then why bother to reply?

• Like 1

Based on this report anyway, yes, definitely a suspicious death.

I have a specific question about the asthma aspect though.

I am not aware of an injectable asthma drug that asthma suffers carry.

They generally carry INHALERS.

Perhaps they are talking about an EPIPEN device, which are very common?

Epipens are kits that people who have severe allergies (such as bee stings) carry to give on the spot emergency treatment in response to an anaphylactic shock allergic reaction which includes labored breathing and leads to death. People with asthma often also have these kinds of severe allergies (though not all). They are injected.

The garment ties at the ankle. Quite odd.

Was it tied tied like a tourniquet?

Epipen and often 50mg Benadryl for IM injection are kept for asthmatics/allergy sufferers. Those two are common. Having worked medical trauma for years I would seriously question the relationship to injectors in the area, regardless of how they are labeled, if they were spent, and the constricting band around the ankle. I would then fully check for tracks- injection points- on the upper extremities, and certainly the dorsalis pedis at ankle- a typical location to conceal injections; a place where nearly 100% of people have to constrict with belt, band, or other to access inflated vein.

I don't suggest this happened, but only a fool would not consider it. Moreover, it is not uncommon at all to have blood all over especially if passed out. 10ml of blood alone- one small syringe- is enough on a solid floor to make it look like a horror movie. But the ankle state? it is a sufficiently unusual element to be suggestive. And yes, to the earlier poster, I think it sucks regardless of what happened to him. As the man remains unknown, I feel my consideration above is not over the top.

Note: I forgot to add, Epipen or Benydryl are never administerd IV ( in self administration). epipen is epinephrine (epi). Epi can be used for asthma, allergies, and for medical folks administering- cardiac issues. Same drug. However, epipen and cardiac epi are wholly two different strengths at ten times the strength. No asthmatic would ever inject into vessel. It's always IM or Subcutaenous.

Edited by arjunadawn
  • Like 2

After learning further information I feel awful for that poor man. In order for there to be blood editing his body it had to be tremendous lower bleeding. So painful, so alone because so many are deeply embarrassed to seek care for such things- my heartfelt sorrow for him.

• Like 1

After learning further information I feel awful for that poor man. In order for there to be blood editing his body it had to be tremendous lower bleeding. So painful, so alone because so many are deeply embarrassed to seek care for such things- my heartfelt sorrow for him.

Glad to see some damn empathy and compassion around here for once. I think the scarf around the ankle should be one of the main clues obviously, I know it is rare here but that could well be the start of a calling card for a serial offender.. If not it means something symbolic for sure. What needs to happen is that a criminal profiler should be brought in as well as crime scene investigators, that is what should be done but remember where we live.

Glad to see some damn empathy and compassion around here for once. I think the scarf around the ankle should be one of the main clues obviously, I know it is rare here but that could well be the start of a calling card for a serial offender.. If not it means something symbolic for sure. What needs to happen is that a criminal profiler should be brought in as well as crime scene investigators, that is what should be done but remember where we live.

A lifetime ago I was a paramedic in the USA. We would often have to assess a scene where someone was dead or injured first to ensure we would not be hurt, but when deceased we would often share observations with officers on the scene. When I read the first report in this post I did think the scarf around the ankle, and syringes nearby, alerted my foul play antenna. But as I learned what really happened to this man I sat for a moment mentally rebuilding his sense of panic, shame, fear, and unwillingness, perhaps, to seek aid as this terrible thing increasingly got out of control for him. It is actually heart-wrenching. While I cannot know, it invited me to remember to be prudent in the future as life has many twists and turns and things are not as they often appear. A friend once gave me great counsel and it was simple: whenever confronted with something that seems so certain, be wise and consider "What else could this mean?"

• Like 1

Some types of asthma can be treated with injections and th ankle could be a place to inject. Injecting can cause bruising and some people use place that are not obvious. Cause of death? Long term use of these drugs can cause other conditions

"Although investigators tend to believe his death probably came about because of the asthma,..."

Completely opposite to what the headline says.

You see that's what the smartiks on here don't get............It's the media who write these things in such a fashion that it makes the investigators look dumb......when in fact it's the people who take the bait who are the dumb ones.

Edited by Tanlic
  • Like 1

I have removed a lot of troll posts, some flames, some off-topic posts, and the replies to all of them.

Please have respect for the dead man and show consideration for his relatives and friends who may well be reading this topic. Do not post anything you would not like to read if you were a relative or friend.

• 3 weeks later...

For all you TV armchair detectives--

I have known this guy for 40+ years. He had major surgery in the USA and traveled here for business before he should have--he needed more recuperation time. And he was still under medication. So the Thai police are correct in their final assessment that there was no foul play. Let the family be and stop your mindless conjectures.

• Like 1