The New York Times names new executive editor

webfact

The New York Times names new executive editor

NEW YORK: -- The New York Times has named the paper's current managing editor Dean Baquet as the new executive editor after Jill Abrahamson stepped down from the top position unexpectedly, the paper said Wednesday.

Abrahamson, who took over as executive editor in 2011, was the first woman to hold the paper’s top position. The reason for her resignation is unknown.

"I’ve loved my run at The Times," Abrahamson told the paper. "I got to work with the best journalists in the world doing so much stand-up journalism."

Baquet, a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, will become the first African-American to lead one of the most respected and influential newspapers of the United States.

"It is an honor to be asked to lead the only newsroom in the country that is actually better than it was a generation ago ... one that approaches the world with wonder and ambition every day," Baquet said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-15

And the importance of this for people living in Thailand...is what ?

A position opening at the Nation for Jill Abrahamson? whistling.gif

Had you heard she's into slumming?

Apparently the must-do-thing, hanging out in the slums, as we have read in this forum. coffee1.gif

Edited by Morakot

And the importance of this for people living in Thailand...is what ?

A position opening at the Nation for Jill Abrahamson? whistling.gif

Had you heard she's into slumming?

Apparently the must-do-thing, hanging out in the slums, as we have read in this forum. coffee1.gif

I don't think she'll steal dropped change from foreigners.

She was fired and the gossip is that it was because she found out that the male who had the job before her was paid much more and had much better benefits. It makes the NY Times look like real hypocrites after all their 'War on Women" nonsense directed at the Republican party.

“Several weeks ago, I’m told, Abramson discovered that her pay and her pension benefits as both executive editor and, before that, as managing editor were considerably less than the pay and pension benefits of Bill Keller, the male editor whom she replaced in both jobs. ‘She confronted the top brass,’ one close associate said, and this may have fed into the management’s narrative that she was ‘pushy,’ a characterization that, for many, has an inescapably gendered aspect.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/currency/2014/05/why-jill-abramson-was-fired.html