Thailand Elite easy access 500k THB card

Looking at the bigger picture whether TE makes a profit or breaks even it brings high spending people into Thailand that benefits the wider economy.

True enough, but that doesn't show up on a profit and loss statement and so is probably too nebulous a concept for Thai bureaucrats to appreciate.
it doesn't show up on a Thai bureaucrats personal profit loss statement so isn't an important consideration. Edited by dickyknee

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why the link didn't work. Post-To-Day has a weird link system. This one should work, needs to be copied and pasted.

www.posttoday.com/ธุรกิจ-ตลาด/เศรษฐกิจภาครัฐ/367508/หนุนรัฐบาลใช้ม-44ล้มโครงการ-อีลิท-การ์ด

I have to say the article doesn't read like an opinion piece to me, it reads like a report on the current government's concerns over the program. But like I say, my Thai can be a little rusty at times, what makes you think it's opinion piece rather than a report..?

In summary, the article says that ATTA would support any government plans to stop this card since it hasn't paid its way since it was set up 10 years ago. Better, they say, to pay people out now than to carry on racking up losses.

The Minister of Tourism & Sport, Ms. Gopganot Wattanawarangun said the Ministry is currently discussing whether to do something about the program as part of a reform of the tourism sector.

"The Ministry has its thoughts about whether to continue or cancel the program. But if it is to be cancelled, it must be done in a way that does not harm Thailand's image, or have an impact on card-holders. The Elite card is an issue that must be addressed, but it is not as urgent a problem as developing the tourist sector."

The matter will be handed to the new director of the Thai Tourist Authority, who will be appointed in 1-2 months' time.

Oddly enough, the article says that ATTA suggests using Article 44 of the interim Thai constitution (the catch-all, do-anything-we-want-to-anyone) clause to shut the program down.

Seems correct and also that it is run by a private company and the gov. does not see a penny of the revenue collected.

Edited by JimmyTheMook

I have the original "SE" lifetime visa which requires me to extend every 90 days at Changewattana. Years ago this used to be ok as the extension was processed at the diplomat section so you would be in and out in 30 minutes to 1 hour. Some time ago they expanded the processing section to include student Visa's and now it take a whole day of waiting to get your extension which is a real drag.

Has anyone used the elite service to do the extension of stay for you? And if so what is the process. ( I know they can do the 90 day residence report but I am interested in the extension of stay report)

Also any news on the 5 year driver license?.

Successful 5-year renew of driver's license on PE. The Banglamung DLT seemed to be screening out renewal vs 1st license persons downstairs for the correct queue tickets so they weren't interested in the "type" of visa you had, only if you were first time or not. Woo hoo! (NOTE: your mileage may vary.)

With online reports of 90-day address now, that means only 1 visit to Immigration per year on PE. (SE is 4)

That could be reduced to NONE if you just leave/re-enter the country once a year. And, if you have acquired a new passport since arriving, this might be necessary if your online address report is failing for no reason.

(For PE, they do the 90-day address report "for you" only if you live in BKK, but online would still be easier for everyone.)

• 7 months later...

when you want to live in Thailand for an unlimited time..the tourist visa is a bad idea..too much stress ...never sure if they will allow you another entry or not...

i got people who do that and they never had any problem..They always find a way new passport .... going out for a week to Cambodia then come back by plane...doing a visa Ed for a year or more depend ..etc etc options are possible......Everything depend on the budget .....Not all want to get marry instantly ? some said to have a kid with a Thai woman is a good option to allow you to stay longer?

the political situation is complicate..am talking about it with the Thais people..They got no idea what going to happen in the future....they are just getting very angry at the police corruption and they attend to do something to change that problem...... i know a Thai girl she will probably be forever single cause his father is a cop ..She said she date many dude ( Farang and Thai and they don't want to take any risk to date her lol ..funny... i wont get involve too lol .....

Point is the elite card for 5 years is interesting...5 years in Thailand can give you so much information on what you want to do next..Stay forever or travel somewhere else?

so question is does there is a topic with the budget for each visa ? no all are rich and not all are old ...... so for the young people ..... 18-40 ... option 1 seem to be to have a kid..... can give you a year with a reentry to do every year? the visa ED is interesting too .... and then the work permit ? So one year with a visa tourist .....then a visa ED .....then you got a Work permit..... then you have kid........ can easily last for 5 years ? will it be less or more expensive than the elite card?

If you feel like travelling a bit ..Can also stay in one of the country around? cambodia ...LAO, malaysia ? etc etc......option are multiple.....the problem remain is the money .....

So i get it is really an huge challenge and i do understand why it is a hard one...... not sure all can do it... must have some personal discipline and serious to be able to do so...and some monthly income seem to be necessary so here is my mood of the moment .......

Crazy Crazy !!!bah.gifblink.png

Why should Thailand assist you by making some special rules? If you have a legal job, you can stay. If you have enough money to not need to work - you can afford the Elite card. If you have neither job nor money - you need to get your shit together in your own country first ;)

• Like 2

when you want to live in Thailand for an unlimited time..the tourist visa is a bad idea..too much stress ...never sure if they will allow you another entry or not...

i got people who do that and they never had any problem..They always find a way new passport .... going out for a week to Cambodia then come back by plane...doing a visa Ed for a year or more depend ..etc etc options are possible......Everything depend on the budget .....Not all want to get marry instantly ? some said to have a kid with a Thai woman is a good option to allow you to stay longer?

the political situation is complicate..am talking about it with the Thais people..They got no idea what going to happen in the future....they are just getting very angry at the police corruption and they attend to do something to change that problem...... i know a Thai girl she will probably be forever single cause his father is a cop ..She said she date many dude ( Farang and Thai and they don't want to take any risk to date her lol ..funny... i wont get involve too lol .....

Point is the elite card for 5 years is interesting...5 years in Thailand can give you so much information on what you want to do next..Stay forever or travel somewhere else?

so question is does there is a topic with the budget for each visa ? no all are rich and not all are old ...... so for the young people ..... 18-40 ... option 1 seem to be to have a kid..... can give you a year with a reentry to do every year? the visa ED is interesting too .... and then the work permit ? So one year with a visa tourist .....then a visa ED .....then you got a Work permit..... then you have kid........ can easily last for 5 years ? will it be less or more expensive than the elite card?

If you feel like travelling a bit ..Can also stay in one of the country around? cambodia ...LAO, malaysia ? etc etc......option are multiple.....the problem remain is the money .....

So i get it is really an huge challenge and i do understand why it is a hard one...... not sure all can do it... must have some personal discipline and serious to be able to do so...and some monthly income seem to be necessary so here is my mood of the moment .......

I cannot give you an exact rundown on the price of any of that, but a kid over an 18+ year period will certainly cost more than 500,000 baht (or should unless you plan to abandon him/her). If you actually want a child, and are willing to take responsibility, it seems to be a very good option. Otherwise, forget that one.

• Like 2

I cannot give you an exact rundown on the price of any of that, but a kid over an 18+ year period will certainly cost more than 500,000 baht (or should unless you plan to abandon him/her). If you actually want a child, and are willing to take responsibility, it seems to be a very good option. Otherwise, forget that one.

ofc i am serious... it is not a joke...... unfortunalty ...i heard some bad news..some foreigner like to do so..and abandon them ...Sick....

thanks for the answer anyway !

Edited by farang95

• 3 weeks later...

I know, but still i think it's a good offer.

I agree. You just have to think of it as paying in advance for 5 years of stay in the country without the need for visas, border runs, extension and etc.

Not confirmed yet by somebody doing it but you could divide the 500k baht by 6 years since a multiple entry visa allows to you do an entry up to the date of expiration.

I know, but still i think it's a good offer.

I agree. You just have to think of it as paying in advance for 5 years of stay in the country without the need for visas, border runs, extension and etc.

Not confirmed yet by somebody doing it but you could divide the 500k baht by 6 years since a multiple entry visa allows to you do an entry up to the date of expiration.

Compared to the costs and hassle of getting some other visa for under-50's, it is a very good deal.

Over-50's have the best deal...

1900 Baht for Extension based on retirement,

2 x 1000 Re-entry permits - or a bit more for multiple re-entries,

1800 or so for your Embassy letter confirming income

300 for copies etc

Total = 6000 Baht per year.

I see they offer a property investment elite visa but not much info is given about it.

Some developers partner with Thailand Elite.

You buy one of their condos and you get the Thailand Elite (full) membership for about half the price (they add the "reduced membership fee" to the price of the condo).

Not bad for those who want to live in those particular places. But that is if you actually want to buy a condo in those particular projects...

Edited by gerry1011

whistling.gif As I understand it you must pay the entire 500K when you receive the Thai elite card.....full amount plus any VAT....but I am not sure there is a VAT on that.

Still, if you have the money, it is a good deal for 5 years of stay in Thailand.

Of course, as someone said, there is always the political uncertainty.....but for that matter you might be hit by a taxi 5 minutes after you get your card..

But you can't worry about things like that.....life is uncertain anyhow.

As for me....I have been around nearly 70 years so far,,,,, including 5 years in the U.S. Army in Vietnam....and nobody has got me yet.

What ever.

whistling.gif As I understand it you must pay the entire 500K when you receive the Thai elite card.....full amount plus any VAT....but I am not sure there is a VAT on that.

Still, if you have the money, it is a good deal for 5 years of stay in Thailand.

Of course, as someone said, there is always the political uncertainty.....but for that matter you might be hit by a taxi 5 minutes after you get your card..

But you can't worry about things like that.....life is uncertain anyhow.

As for me....I have been around nearly 70 years so far,,,,, including 5 years in the U.S. Army in Vietnam....and nobody has got me yet.

What ever.

I believe the 500K is inclusive of VAT, but the 2MB 20 year one is not.

whistling.gif A comment and a couple of questions.

I am a retiree and getting a pension of about $ 1700 monthly.

That is slightly below the 65K monthly limit.

It appears I will be able to get the 500K Thai elite card by May 2016...somewhat dependent on the U.S dollar exchange rate.

The 500K card appears to be the best "value for the buck" in my case.

With that in mind.....

1. I understand the money is paid in a lump sum. and I assume you can transfer the funds from my Thai bank account to the Elite card people?
  2. Do I need to do 90 day reporting on this card? Not a big problem but just want to be clear on that.
  3. As I am retired, I like to travel about in Southeast Asia....is there a limit on 3 or 4 travels each year?
  4. Do I need re-entry permits for any travel?

It appears I will be able to get the 500K Thai elite card by May 2016...somewhat dependent on the U.S dollar exchange rate.

With that in mind.....

1. I understand the money is paid in a lump sum. and I assume you can transfer the funds from my Thai bank account to the Elite card people?
  2. Do I need to do 90 day reporting on this card? Not a big problem but just want to be clear on that.
  3. As I am retired, I like to travel about in Southeast Asia....is there a limit on 3 or 4 travels each year?

Not an answer to your questions, but a reminder of another option. A retirement extension can be based on the combination method. With an income of $1700 monthly, a deposit in a Thai bank of about 60,000 baht (preferably seasoned for 3 months) would see you through. For those who are easily able to spare 500,000 baht, the Thailand Elite visa may often be preferable, even for those qualifying for retirement extensions, because it is so hassle free. If you would seriously miss the money,it may be worth the effort to do extensions.

With that in mind.....

Not an answer to your questions, but a reminder of another option. A retirement extension can be based on the combination method. With an income of $1700 monthly, a deposit in a Thai bank of about 60,000 baht (preferably seasoned for 3 months) would see you through. For those who are easily able to spare 500,000 baht, the Thailand Elite visa may often be preferable, even for those qualifying for retirement extensions, because it is so hassle free. If you would seriously miss the money,it may be worth the effort to do extensions.

Subject to the caveat of checking the specific immigration office policy -- when using the combo method, the "lump" in the bank does not need seasoning.

Comparing the Elite card with the retirement extension is a non-starter since the retirement extension costs about 6,000 Baht per year (depending on re-entries) and the Elite costs a minimum of 100,000 Baht per year - all paid up front.

With that in mind.....

1. You can transfer it to them after the application is approved.

2. Yes But if living in Bangkok you can have them do it for you.

3. You get unlimited one year entries for 5 years.

4. Not until after the visa expires..

With that in mind.....

Subject to the caveat of checking the specific immigration office policy -- when using the combo method, the "lump" in the bank does not need seasoning.

Comparing the Elite card with the retirement extension is a non-starter since the retirement extension costs about 6,000 Baht per year (depending on re-entries) and the Elite costs a minimum of 100,000 Baht per year - all paid up front.

I do not violently disagree with what you wrote, but

• the Thailand Elite costs minimum about 500,000 / 6 = about 83,000 baht per year;
  • tying up 800,000 baht (if not using the income method) over 6 years (or moving it in and out of investments each year) carries a cost also;
  • I would argue (and you might disagree) that conditions for a retirement extension are more likely to change than Thailand reneging on its commitments to Thailand Elite visa holders.

I agree, though, that the Thailand Elite visa is more expensive than a retirement extension and only a rational choice for those who value time and convenience over a couple of thousand dollars a year.

With that in mind.....

I do not violently disagree with what you wrote, but

• the Thailand Elite costs minimum about 500,000 / 6 = about 83,000 baht per year;
  • tying up 800,000 baht (if not using the income method) over 6 years (or moving it in and out of investments each year) carries a cost also;
  • I would argue (and you might disagree) that conditions for a retirement extension are more likely to change than Thailand reneging on its commitments to Thailand Elite visa holders.

I agree, though, that the Thailand Elite visa is more expensive than a retirement extension and only a rational choice for those who value time and convenience over a couple of thousand dollars a year.

I am not promoting either course of action, but I am trying to lay the facts out clearly.

You can earn interest on money in the bank, so no costs involved.

You do not have to put any money in a Thai bank if you have enough monthly income.

The cost of the Elite card is 500,000 baht for a 5 year validity. Pushing that to 6 years has not been proven in practice.

The basic conditions for the retirement extension have been in place for many years. They are no more likely to change than the Elite card. The difference is that if a change was made to the Elite card you might lose your 500,000Baht whereas a change to the retirement extension only risks a loss of 6,00 baht.

• 1 month later...

I just applied for my Elite card today. I came in on a visa exempt stamp and the entry is good until May 15. I am wondering if this will be long enough to be accepted? They say in the application no longer than 15 days. I guess I will find out soon enough but was wondering what people here thought?

I just applied for my Elite card today. I came in on a visa exempt stamp and the entry is good until May 15. I am wondering if this will be long enough to be accepted? They say in the application no longer than 15 days. I guess I will find out soon enough but was wondering what people here thought?

If you need more time the visa exempt entry can be extended by 30 days for 1900 Bht at an immigration office.

• Like 1

If you need more time the visa exempt entry can be extended by 30 days for 1900 Bht at an immigration office.

Thanks, the answer was obvious I should have thought of that. Although I would almost prefer to leave the country than go to CW. I just hope they can do it in time or just post stamp it or whatever.

Thanks again.

From the Thailand Elite site. Looks like the programme is expanding. Not a chance it will finish now,
Mr. Pruet Boobphakam, President of Thailand Privilege Card Co.,Ltd welcomed Mr. Korn Dabbaransi, Former Deputy Prime Minister and representatives from Chinese Public and Private sectors at TPC Head Office to discuss on future coordination for expanding the market and promoting Thailand Elite Card in People's Republic of China.

• Like 1