Warning to impose "martial law" welcomed by both sides of divide

Lite Beer

POLITICS
Warning to impose "martial law" welcomed by both sides of divide
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Surapong said Army move could help election to go ahead, but interior minister urges kamnans to rally if coup is staged

Pro- and anti-government groups both praised the Army yesterday for its latest warning against violence in the political conflict.

Former deputy prime minister and foreign minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, now an adviser to the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), expressed support yesterday for a declaration of martial law by the Army.

"If martial law is declared, the military will run the operation to maintain security and the CAPO will not get involved. And I believe that if the martial law is declared nationwide, an election can be held smoothly," he said.

Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha issued a strong statement on Thursday after an attack on a protest site that caused three deaths earlier the same morning, saying it may need to resort to "full military force" if the bloodshed continues.

A spokesman for the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) clarified yesterday that the Army chief was talking about enforce martial law when he said the Army may deploy troops in full force to curb violence.

ISOC spokesman Col Banphot Poonpian said Prayuth was saying that if the situation deteriorated, the Army may have to enforce martial law, which is the highest level of security law.

"It's a measure that the Army chief announced on Thursday. It's a warning in line with the legal steps."

Banphot said the military would enforce martial law if a lot of war weapons were used to inflict deaths and injuries in several areas.

ISA 'can still work'

However, ISOC had assessed the situation and believed that the current situation could still be dealt with via enforcement of the Internal Security Act, the spokesman said.

Surapong, who spoke to reporters at the CAPO headquarters, said: "Martial law is the highest level of measures to ensure security. I believe the armed forces have prepared measures to enforce it."

He said he would like to thank the Army chief for warning political opponents to behave - and Prayuth to take action against leaders of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), adding that troops were also officers who could make arrests.

Opponents of the government wanted to encourage military leaders to stage a coup, Surapong said, but the top brass had made it clear they would not seize power.

"But they may control the situation to prevent violence by declaring martial law, which is not a coup," he said.

The former minister said he would continue to work as an adviser to CAPO until an order for him to be removed from the post was announced in the Royal Gazette.

PDRC spokesman Akanat Promphan said he was satisfied with Prayuth's statement as the army chief showed a clear stance after the latest attack that led to deaths and injuries.

"The CAPO and police failed to arrest perpetrators [of the attack].

"So, we fully support the army to show their responsibility as a security agency," he said.

Asked about speculation by red shirts that General Prayuth could be appointed as a neutral PM, Akanat said it was unlikely. He said any decision to appoint a PM was now up to the Senate and he had no idea who might be.

Meanwhile, caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan told kamnans and village headmen in Nong Khai yesterday to be prepared to mobilise villagers to head to Bangkok to reclaim democracy.

In a meeting with local officials in Nong Khai, Charupong said he was concerned that the army's statement could lead to an undemocratic incident within one or two days.

"I ask all of you to gather 10 villagers from each village at the provincial hall and be ready to go to Bangkok if an 'incident' really happens. Please cooperate with your governor for facilitating the trip," he said.

What the law entails

Military commanders in troubled areas have the authority to enforce martial law, if it looks like war or riots may break out.

Martial law gives military officers the power to:

n Take action against war or riots;

n Use arms to suppress unrest;

n Search, confiscate or occupy any premises or vehicles;

n Censor information;

n Block, search and control postal services;

n Activate the military court to judge on crimes within the area under

martial law;

n Mobilise civilians to help the military;

n Procure resources such as vehicles or logistical materials to support

military operations;

n Prohibit public gatherings, publications, broadcasting, transport,

communication, travel, the movement of people or any action that the

Defence Ministry deems necessary;

n Enforce curfews;

n Destroy, remove or adjust any premise or location for the purpose of

military operations;

n Arrest and detain suspects for a maximum of seven days.

l People are not entitled to any compensation for damage incurred during such military operations;

l Martial law can only be ended with a Royal Decree.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-17

• Like 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who has the authority to declare martial law?

The government?

The army?

Perhaps that answering this question will lead to yet another judicial battle?

The only way it could work would be for a military coup to take place..and then announce martial law. That would lessen the blame for either side....for calling them in.

• Like 1

The government?

The army?

The only way it could work would be for a military coup to take place..and then announce martial law. That would lessen the blame for either side....for calling them in.

Yes, usually if the army is "threatening" to take charge, they're not overly concerned with checking the rule book to see if they have permission to do it. In fact the whole point seems to be the belief that the rule book is either flawed or being ignored anyway.

• Like 1

These people must be really stupid. When the Army warned them the threa of Marshall law they did not announce their actions would be done to aid and support and protect the elections. They only stated if violence broke out and weapons of war were used they would quell the violence.

These idiots have twisted the Generals remarks to their own agenda.

The army doesnt care about politics. They only want to protect people that this political strife will cause should violence erupt.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Armies do not work for free. I wonder where the money comes from....

I guess they do care about government......

you don't want them writing their own paychecks and funding their own logistics, do ya?

These people must be really stupid. When the Army warned them the threa of Marshall law they did not announce their actions would be done to aid and support and protect the elections. They only stated if violence broke out and weapons of war were used they would quell the violence.

The army doesnt care about politics. They only want to protect people that this political strife will cause should violence erupt.

you don't want them writing their own paychecks and funding their own logistics, do ya?

One would think this is the kings army. Besides they will be paid no matter what kind of Gob thais have since they also are the ones who protect this country from invaders

"you don't want them writing their own paychecks and funding their own logistics, do ya?"

You do realize there have been one or two (he said somewhat sarcastically) previous cases where the army has taken charge before. I'm pretty sure the cash flow procedures during such circumstances are well established.

The crisis is especially serious given that Thailand has experienced more coups d'état than any other country in contemporary history. Scholars sometimes describe the era beginning in 1932 and running up through today as Thailand's "coup season." Since 1932, Thailand has endured an astonishing 11 successful military coups, as well as seven attempted coups.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/12/03/thailand-has-had-more-coups-than-any-other-country-this-is-why/

It is entirely logical that the army should step in to protect the constitution that THEY carefully drafted and so generously offered for a public referendum in 2007... whilst under Martial Law. In a similar manner, under Martial Law they can ensure that the Thai people will vote freely for the candidates of their choice that the Army wants to win.

For those new to this rodeo (or short on memory), the 2006 army regime masqueraded under various monikers that included "Administrative Reform Group under the Democratic System with the King as the Head of State" or the "Council for Democratic Reform under the Constitutional Monarchy". Do these sound bone-achingly, wearyingly familiar by now?

After a couple of years hard work where they handily managed to get 'Get Out Of Jail Cards' for themselves enshrined in their absolute dogs <deleted> of a Constitution, they handed off the ball to the Democrats to get into the end-zone but the Dems didn't have a playbook (never had, never will) whilst the wily, savvy and populist opposition was p!ssing all over them... THREE TIMES.

And so it came to pass that THREE TIMES, the Constitutional Court has decided that they didn't like the people's choice for elected government. Regardless of what they named themselves and how ever many were banned from politics, they would come back stronger than ever which must have been infuriating with all that money that was bunged to various 'secret' army groups (and Sonthi) to disrupt, disable and smear the kick-ass and populist opposition. Sadly, lacking any <deleted> themselves, the CC only manages to tweak Thaksin's balls instead of castrating him.

Thaksin deserves a death by a thousand cuts for all the grief he has caused.I hope other members of his family have more guts than him.If Yinny does some soft time she truely will be a heroine to her fans,and bro will be shown up for what he is.

Once again we see threats instead of co-operation from a caretaker cabinet minister.

Great stuff.

You got the wrong part of the government in what you say.... It is the army that will do this not the caretaker government.

Surapong has decided to twist Prayuth's statement into what he and his cousin Thaksin want him to say, and what they want to happen, while completely ignoring the rest, even though Prayuth has carefully not said or implied allegiance to either political agenda. Let's take a look at Prayuth's statement. He said that if the violence continued, the army would need to step in. That's it. That's as far as he went. The purpose of intervention would therefore be to quell the violence. Period.

Surapong has decided it means much more than that. He clearly believes that it means that Prayuth would willingly impose a two or three month nationwide imposition of martial law in order to facilitate an entire election. Surapong and his cousin Thaksin would be happy about that, because it would mean the perpetuation of Thaksin's hold on power.

It needs to be emphasized - Prayuth has never ever advocated an intervention that favours either side. His view has always been to protect the security of the people - in those areas where such security is threatened. Period. Surapong is clearly hoping for a two or three month nationwide imposition of martial law, a law that contains terrible powers - for anyone who chooses to read the list of them. Surapong and Thaksin are quite happy to subject the whole country to martial law to keep Thaksin's own interests afloat. Try to imagine an election conducted through a nationwide imposition of martial law. But more than anything else, Thaksin - through his cousin Surapong - have decided to not only read into what they want of Prayuth's statement - but now view the army as their option of last resort, especially as the courts are now picking up the pieces of all the corruption they perpetuated and are beginning to hold them accountable to it. And yet, for years and years - there has never been a symmetry or correlation between the actions of the army and Pheu Thai's interests. Never. Not once. And yet Pheu Thau imagines that there is now. Pheu Thai are in the habit of engaging in fantasies, of course. But it is important that they do not wrap others in it as well. This is a dangerous fantasy.

The constitutional process is moving slowly, but it is moving. The Senate has made its decision - for now. But if the political stalemate continues and there is an increasing likelihood of an extended administrative paralysis, then the Senate's position could quite possibly shift. Dialogue and discussions are happening. That is good, and that is healthy. The courts and the NACC are functioning and proceeding. That is good. The constitutional process must be allowed to play out, and dialogue must be allowed to continue. History has shown that military interventions may produce short term results, but they do not solve long-standing divisions. Therefore, there are two choices. There is a chance to take a step forward. That step requires patience and a belief in change.The other step is easier, but will take us back.

• Like 2

CAPO spokesperson: " He said he would like to thank the Army chief for warning political opponents to behave - and Prayuth to take action against leaders of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), adding that troops were also officers who could make arrests."

Is that true? Or just more capo get pdrc but leave the UDD alone BS.

The government?

The army?

Yes, usually if the army is "threatening" to take charge, they're not overly concerned with checking the rule book to see if they have permission to do it. In fact the whole point seems to be the belief that the rule book is either flawed or being ignored anyway.

My god some people never learn

The army is the highest form of Law in any country

many have died trying to change this

Please let is know when you and your friends try

will be interesting as you principles as so important to you

Me I will agree to dissagree

I been living here over 10 years and seen it all .I liked it myself when the military took control last time.Nice peaceful time for a change without the circus of a so called government. Well at least IMO. Also not having the men in brown screwing with the internet what we should see.

Edited by hardy1943
  • Like 2

The shinaclan will welcome martial law. It gives them the opportunity to run out of the country and seek asylum abroad with their stolen billions, claiming the hunt for them is politiclly motivated.. It happened before and seems to work for the big bad guy in Dubai.

I guess the stolen billions are already outside: Recall when Thaksins children left for a few days to visit Papa with some complete crazy amount of luggage

I been living here over 10 years and seen it all .I liked it myself when the military took control last time.Nice peaceful time for a change without the circus of a so called government. Well at least IMO. Also not having the men in brown screwing with the internet what we should see.

yes I recall that all the censorship was turned off and Surayud told that people who can handle a computer can also build there own opinion.

The government acted a lot more democratic than any elected government. The only mistake was that they were too kind and thought that Thaksin will be peaceful. Would they seized all his money and properties we wouldn't be in troubles now.

• Like 1

The shinaclan will welcome martial law. It gives them the opportunity to run out of the country and seek asylum abroad with their stolen billions, claiming the hunt for them is politiclly motivated.. It happened before and seems to work for the big bad guy in Dubai.

I guess the stolen billions are already outside: Recall when Thaksins children left for a few days to visit Papa with some complete crazy amount of luggage

Ther will be bankaccounts to seize in Switzerland, Kaymanisles, Liechtenstein and other countries.

There will be bankaccounts to seize in Switzerland, Kayman isles, Liechtenstein and other countries. Happened before. If only get back 20% it will be very worthwhile. Can pay many farmers then.

Not my fight since I'm not Thai, not an expert with an advanced degree on Thai politics and not a stakeholder.

I don't know who is "right or wrong". There are plenty of "experts" in this forum, with a plethora of solutions to this complex political situation.

I read, I digest and I move on. Life is grand!

Keep It Simple.

yes I recall that all the censorship was turned off and Surayud told that people who can handle a computer can also build there own opinion.

The government acted a lot more democratic than any elected government. The only mistake was that they were too kind and thought that Thaksin will be peaceful. Would they seized all his money and properties we wouldn't be in troubles now.

I think they all liked to get the finger in the pie.How ironic but true the military much more Democatic then a so called elected government.

Edited by hardy1943
  • Like 1