Court approves bail for former NIDA rector arrested for insurrection

Lite Beer

Court approves bail for former NIDA rector arrested for insurrection

BANGKOK, 17 May 2014 (NNT) – The court has approved bail for Sombat Thamrongthanyawong, one of the 30 leaders of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) wanted for insurrection, under the condition that he remain inside Thailand and refrain from instigating turmoil.

Mr. Sombat, a former rector of the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA), was arrested on Friday morning by officials acting under the Center for Administration of Peace and Order's (CAPO) policy of apprehending PDRC leaders who were not under guard or those who could be arrested without jeopardizing the safety of the arresting officials and members of the public.

Mr. Sombat denied wrongdoing, and was granted bail after using the position of current NIDA rector, Associate Professor Pradit Wannarat, as collateral.

The CAPO also confirmed on Friday that Yotsak Kosaiyakanon, a lecturer at Kasembundit University's Faculty of Law, had also been arrested in accordance with the warrants issued by court this week. He was apprehended at his home in Lat Phrao area of Bangkok.

Bangkok police also attempted to move on Thai-Indian businessman Satish Sehgal at his condominium in Sala Daeng area of Bangkok, but were unable to arrest him due to the presence of PDRC supporters who were exerting pressure on the officials. The police decided to pull back to avoid a confrontation, but not before arresting two PDRC guards who were carrying firearms.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-17 footer_n.gif

"but not before arresting two PDRC guards who were carrying firearms"

At least some good come out of this. These are the peaceful unarmed PDRC guards I keep on reading about, aren't they?

Thaworn Senneam, a core member of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), has been handling legal disputes involving the group from the start.

Mr Thaworn, however, is not handling the guards alone. He has Pol Lt Gen Somkid Boonthanom, a retired police officer, on his team. The ex-police officer commands respect from the protest guards.

According to Mr Thaworn, while Mr Suthep is deeply concerned about the safety of the protesters, he stresses the need to do what is necessary and appropriate.

The protest guards must be unarmed. They must be polite with the protesters. They should do their job in a way that is appropriate. Those who can’t comply are free to leave,”

By the way, the kindly retired Pol. Lt Gen. Somkid Boonthanom, he's well versed in guns and things like that. He was also allegedly implicated in the abduction and murder of the Saudi businessman in the Blue Diamond case, so he might be able to pass on a few tips, but hey, that's like red shirts water under the bridge now...............................

• Like 2

So now you might like to look at the NIDA polls again.

When asked about the protests organized by the PDRC and other protest groups against the government and the Thaksin regime, 49% agreed to the protests viewing that the Thaksin regime is a patronage regime which aimed at making benefit to its people, particularly corrupted politicians, and is a regime which will inflict enormous damages to the country. They said the regime repeated errors and therefore wanted to see reform.

So on the form

What is your view on the protest groups against the government and the Thaksin regime (check one):

[ ] I disagree with the protest

[ ] I think that the Thaksin Regime is a patronage regime aimed at benefit particularly corrupt polticians and is a regime that will inflict enormous damag on the country by repeating errors and therefore I want to see reform.

[ ] Don't know

• Like 1

Get accused of insurrection and you are allowed bail. Only in Thailand. What does a pooyais have to do to get jailed in Thailand?

you get bail for murder..and vanish to singapore..red bull...boy..

When asked about the protests organized by the PDRC and other protest groups against the government and the Thaksin regime, 49% agreed to the protests viewing that the Thaksin regime is a patronage regime which aimed at making benefit to its people, particularly corrupted politicians, and is a regime which will inflict enormous damages to the country. They said the regime repeated errors and therefore wanted to see reform.

So on the form

What is your view on the protest groups against the government and the Thaksin regime (check one):

[ ] I think that the Thaksin Regime is a patronage regime aimed at benefit particularly corrupt polticians and is a regime that will inflict enormous damag on the country by repeating errors and therefore I want to see reform.

[ ] Don't know

I strongly question the validity of this poll to represent public opinion for two very good reasons.

One, the people polled are either government or state enterprise employees. The one percent of the Thai people who meet this criteria are hardly a representative example of the electorate for the simple fact that these people polled all work for the government or work for extensions of the government in industry and ministries. This is damning. Two, the sample is too small (typical of many surveys). Minimal sample group validity is 2000 respondents -- check sociology, cultural anthropology and statistical study constraints. This sample is almost half that required. This invalidates the poll. In the west, many respectable polling companies make similar claims. A sample of 10,000 is actually unnecessary unless defining regional differences. But a bit over 12 hundred for a national poll that is supposed to accurately characterize a population of this size is laughable.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. The NIDA poll asked "1,251 samples who are government and state enterprise employees from all regions in the country regarding their perspectives on political protests."

I can easily design a poll that will generate the desired opinion. Easily.

Shenanigans!!

• Like 1

Unbelievable, that people calling themselves, and getting paid as, police officers, carrying valid arrest warrants, can back down and walk away from doing their duty because they fear engagement with hired gun thugs.

I am waiting for the courts to declare all these warrants unconstitutional because they were enacted by people that did not have the power to do so as they had been given their marching orders by the constitutional court and not in a position to organize anything legally, capo is fast becoming a huge joke and embarassment to Thailand.

"but not before arresting two PDRC guards who were carrying firearms"

At least some good come out of this. These are the peaceful unarmed PDRC guards I keep on reading about, aren't they?

Thaworn Senneam, a core member of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), has been handling legal disputes involving the group from the start.

Mr Thaworn, however, is not handling the guards alone. He has Pol Lt Gen Somkid Boonthanom, a retired police officer, on his team. The ex-police officer commands respect from the protest guards.

According to Mr Thaworn, while Mr Suthep is deeply concerned about the safety of the protesters, he stresses the need to do what is necessary and appropriate.

The protest guards must be unarmed. They must be polite with the protesters. They should do their job in a way that is appropriate. Those who can’t comply are free to leave,”

By the way, the kindly retired Pol. Lt Gen. Somkid Boonthanom, he's well versed in guns and things like that. He was also allegedly implicated in the abduction and murder of the Saudi businessman in the Blue Diamond case, so he might be able to pass on a few tips, but hey, that's like red shirts water under the bridge now...............................

Yes that guy is probably guilty as sin, good reason to change the laws in Thailand change before elections. Making sure corruption and nepotism cant rule. Remove the statue of limititation too, and start proceding with all of those Taksin cases that are still there even though he has fled.

Change is needed we all know it and if change keeps politicians honest and unable to steal too much money they cant hire a mob to stay in power. Its not even economical to buy votes then, so that would ensure fair elections. It would also make sure that people would not fight as much over power as not too much money could be stolen.

All these things are so logical.. i wonder why reds don't see it.. probably they see it but know that without money and corruption their partly falls apart.

Naïve assumptions designed not to make sure corruption and nepotism can't rule, but to make sure free elections can't rule against any officially endorsed corruption and nepotism. You mean well, but you are blinded by the dark.

So they Chalerm, Suraphong, Tarit et al going for the low hanging fruit using heavily armed SWAT teams to arrest retired academics in university parking lots and haul foreign septagenarians out of their condos. I suppose the pictures of the SWAT teams look good to their red buffalo cannon fodder and they hope the fugitive in desert will pay them more bonuses. Pathetic.

Hello! People are under ARREST warrants issued by the supposedly anti-gov't judges. Horrah! Put them all in jail without bail for the rich only. No discrimination against any political party. Arrest all of those who are under warrants, and then kill this situation to put all politicians with warrants in jail, then we all get back to a normal life in BKK. BTW anyone arrested and convicted will automatically be eliminated from becoming a politician or another other official for life. How about that for a reform.

So on the form

[ ] Don't know

I strongly question the validity of this poll to represent public opinion for two very good reasons.

One, the people polled are either government or state enterprise employees. The one percent of the Thai people who meet this criteria are hardly a representative example of the electorate for the simple fact that these people polled all work for the government or work for extensions of the government in industry and ministries. This is damning. Two, the sample is too small (typical of many surveys). Minimal sample group validity is 2000 respondents -- check sociology, cultural anthropology and statistical study constraints. This sample is almost half that required. This invalidates the poll. In the west, many respectable polling companies make similar claims. A sample of 10,000 is actually unnecessary unless defining regional differences. But a bit over 12 hundred for a national poll that is supposed to accurately characterize a population of this size is laughable.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. The NIDA poll asked "1,251 samples who are government and state enterprise employees from all regions in the country regarding their perspectives on political protests."

Shenanigans!!

And yet it is all in the open with all the statistics available .. nothing hidden, nothing covered up..

Then think about the rice pledging scheme. I think you can easily use " There are lies, damn lies, and statistics" on that one.

By the way I agree the polls should be a larger audience BUT it is what it is.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unbelievable, that people calling themselves, and getting paid as, police officers, carrying valid arrest warrants, can back down and walk away from doing their duty because they fear engagement with hired gun thugs.

well go for it Jesse maybe they can take you next time and use you as canon fodder. Recently officers from the BLM back down over a case in Nevada dealing with unpaid grazing fees. Really would you endanger your life over trumped up charges.

So on the form

[ ] Don't know

Shenanigans!!

By your reasoning government employees do not have an opinion

So on the form

[ ] Don't know

Shenanigans!!

By your reasoning government employees do not have an opinion

Can you not read? FangFerang gives two very well argued reasons for scepticism: a skewed and too-small sample of people polled.