What Asian country has the lowest food quality ?

Sandman77

I have not been there for a long time,but i found the food in Indonesia quite poor,usually nasi goreng[fried rice with an egg] and a chicken leg so small and meatless it looked the same before you ate it as it did after,then the Padang food that was so hot[chilli wise] to be almost inedible,i remeber being constantly hungry there all the time.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see no one here was ever in HaNoi Vietnam .The Chinese then French then their own Vietnamese you have the best of all worlds.Then the real fresh seafood not farmed raised from the ocean. Then Macau was good too but not close to restaurants in HaNoi.Thailand has to be the worst foods from all. Chinese is not Chinese , Korean is not Korean and so on.

Edited by hardy1943

If we are taking national / local foods

Philippines is clearly the worst in Asia. No matter what food it is even things as simple as grilled king prawns, somehow they make them taste disgusting.

I heard the Philippino food was terrible before I went, and generally stuck to western food outlets (as the look and smell of the local food was not appetising) however an Aussie guy I met on the plane invited me to dinner with him and his wife in Cebu city, to a local (but higher end / more pricey) Philippino resto, his wife's favourite. Every single thing we managed to order was foul. I literally ended up eating just white rice, with nothing on it. I tried my best to pretend to eat as not to offend my host as best I could.

Western outlets though from known brands (TGI Fridays and all that jazz.. No problems at all. So Phils is still liveable but you just have to eat anything but the local stuff)

2nd place for me is local chinese food (mainland, not Hong Kong, which is awesome). Most of the dishes were things like a piece of chicken in boiled water, or in higher end restos thjngs like cows feet and minced turtle. No egg fried rice to and prawn toast be seen lol. They have an obsession with fat as well, you order duck or something and it's like a little bit of meat and then the rest is bone and huge chunks of fat swimming in MSG sauce. I was very disappointed with the place

Top of the pile is of course japan and India

Indonesia comes close (excluding Balinese food which is crap) and I prefer it much more than thai (thai gets a bit samey after a while), but in Indonesia one is always getting poisoned so it's always risky. My favourite food is actually from Sumatra, it's like a South Indian style curry with parotas with an Indonesian twist. But could only handle eating it after living in the place for 2 years. Prior to that, what went in would soon be shooting out the backside with vengeance

My 2 years in Indonesia I contracted typhoid (seriously hospitalised), amoebic dysentery (hospitalised and nearly died), 2 different strands of ecoli, and countless salmonella poisonings.

After I traveling one time to Mexico I was thinking this is the most miserable food I ever eat, but last year in Bali it tops the low quality top list with there miserable choice ... also the size was very low always have to order 2 meals

quote-the-food-here-is-terrible-and-the-

The worst food in Asia in terms of quality or what is being served and how it's served?

For me the PI (Philippines) ranks #1 in terms of bad grub; yet they do have some

nice food such as Lumpia (spring rolls) and the Adobo's..which are usually made

from beef, chicken or pork. On the bad side & I mean really nasty grub...how about

some Balut (pronounced Ba-loot) which is a fermented duck or chicken egg that

still has the unhatched partially developed embryo still inside it. When the egg is

opened it'll wreak a city block area with a horrible stench...and it is eaten by

darn near every Philpot in the nation. True love...kiss your PI GF after she's

eaten Balut...I mean a deep slobbery kiss....

Second on the PI nasty food list...Green mango's with that pinkish stuff spread

on em that makes Balut smell like a fine perfume. That pinkish stuff is supposed

to be fermented prawn paste...however I reckon it's really fermented monkey

embryos mixed with rotten prawn heads & cat shit then dyed pink...just for colour.

Third on the PI nasty grub list...K-9 stew. That's right...dog stew. If done

right you will think you're eating some gamey tasting meat like venison. If

done wrong...which is usually how it's done in the PI...you will immediately

know you have just tried to chomp on man's best friend.

China slams into the # 2 spot for bad grub overall...just take my word for it.

Or if you prefer try a Guandong speciality...live monkey brains. Yes...it

is sold openly...anytime of the year. You eat the brains while the monkey

is still alive. The chinese eat other strange things too....just take my word

for it. My lunch is coming soon and I'm kinda hungry so I won't disgust

you lot...nor myself. As a rule of thumb...if it runs, walks, crawls, swims,

slithers or hops...the Chinese will eat it...dead or alive.

Funny one, one time I went with a girlfriend to this party. All fresh food in bowls. I thought why is no one eating, I'm having some anyway, tasted great, fresh, very nice, fruit vegatables.

Then my girlfriend said ''what you do, this for make food''. Oh, I said, I thought food already.

Later they made it into ''food'' completely ruined, uneatable. Might have worked as a cure for verruca's, or maybe weed killer, food, no way.

After she fried me some fish, just fish fried, none of the other crap they put with it.

For me India has to be the best,such a huge variety,whilst i do like some Thai food,i generally find i have a problem the next day due to the Chilli,and have to stay in close proximity to the wc,as for Bali well i got Dysentery there,thankfully,i was younger and my spinchter muscles stronger,and i managed to keep the kee in until after a long bus trip we reached the bus station and a toilet,the resulting explosion was horrific in it's aftermath,i still feel sorry to this day for who ever had to use it next,i tried to clean it but not having a fire hose handy it was not possible,nowadays,they would have to stop the bus for me.

I didn't enjoyed Burmese food very much a couple of years ago. But at my last visit to Tachileik it was okay.

The best food of Asia I had in Thailand and North-India.

The ones i have found with the lowest quality are Burma, Laos & Philippines.

I am a Filipino and I have read a lot of negative comments regarding our quality of food in our country. As a food enthusiast, I find it a little offensive that you regard our cuisine as something of low quality and smelly and disgusting. However, it is true that there are also places and countries in the world where you cannot please any foreign visitor's tastebuds when they try the local cuisine. I myself when I travel to western countries, I also find some American and European food to be bland, tasteless, and utmost disgusting. Thailand too, have it's share of disgusting and over the top smelly foods, but I never let it ruin my opportunity to explore and experience such food adventure if you are enthusiastic to learn the culture of the country you are visiting. I must admit that the Philippines doesn't have the best, if not a very memorable experience when you try our cuisine. Nonetheless, I encourage you to be more adventurous and dare to experience why some of our cuisine works for others and some doesn't. I like to remind you that NOT ALL of our food have that fishy smell or is submerged in copious amounts of shrimp paste (Thailand has cuisine with lots of shrimp paste too) or we Filipinos eat dog meat or dog stew or innards cooked in pork blood. Yes, they are the extreme part of our cuisine and only the brave and adventurous traverse such experience. However, if it is your first time to visit our country, I suggest you try the famous and safe bets for the time being. Yes, we do have the famous Adobo, chicken or pork cooked in vinegar and soy sauce and spices. Indeed the flavor is awesome and will suit the tastebuds of any new foreign visitor. We also have chicken or pork or beef with vegetables particularly potaoes, sweet peppers, green peas, and carrots cooked in tomato sauce that we call Afritada. Another is Pochero. Pork and chicken and beef cooked together with plantain bananas, bokchoy, cabbage, and potatoes in tomato sauce. There is also Chicken Tinola where the chicken is boiled in ginger, garlic, and onions with Moringa or Chilli leaves and green papaya. We also have our version of the chicken curry. Chicken cooked in ginger, coconut milk, curry spices, potatoes, and carrots. Filipinos also tend to love anything that is grilled, either chicken, fish, pork or squid. We have the Chicken Inasal or grilled chicken originated from the Visayan region of our country and there is a famous restaurant who specialize in this Chicken Inasal. We also have the grilled pork belly or we call Pork Liempo. Anthony Bourdain even have praises for our famous Lechon. It is a suckling pig roasted on hot coals for hours before being served whole on banana leaves. The suckling pig is of course cleaned and salted thoroughly before roasting. There are more if you try and look and explore. You just have to check out a good restaurant that serves quality food not just in food courts in malls, or the girly or go-go bar. In fact the best way to experience is to have an authentic Filipino home maker cook the dish for you! For all the negative comments, don't judge lest you be judged!

post-209920-0-93762600-1400494010_thumb.

post-209920-0-57784800-1400494024_thumb.

post-209920-0-56784200-1400494035_thumb.

• Like 2

Having lived in Hong Kong,the Cantonese food was not to my taste,to much squelchy looking things, i lived in a village in the away from the city,but even though they had a famous duck resturant there,i find the ducks in Thailand much more succulent,even the older ones.

I prefer to look at quality when I travel, which is not necessarily the most expensive. This applies to all things, not just food.

Quality to me is overall value, substance, health and happiness.

I am surprised again with this thread which is running exactly on the same lines, where in another thread the different customs were being commented on negatively.

The simple question is, can any one food satisfy the taste bids of any human on this earth? Can anyone say 'yes' to this?

One man's food maybe another man's poison - I guess there is nothing wrong with it.

I know in some countries the tastes differs between the locality of the people.

For instance, people living by the coast prefer "fruits of the sea" whilst the people inland prefer meats.

Comparing the hygiene levels are OK (of course it depends on where you eat), but to compare tastes?

(need some spice in the grey matter to justify that)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

By lowest quality, do you mean hygiene?

Anyway I think Thai food tastes much better in Australian resteraunts.

unbelivable post, ok name 5 that are better in kangaroo land

I'm inclined to agree that Thai food is better in Oz, better ingredients, cooked in sanitary conditions, by Thai chefs. Of course you are paying at least 10 times more for it.

I am waiting for the 5 foods, shall i start, green curry with bones of chicken still there, hahahhahahahahahahahahah

Waiting for 5 foods??

What does that mean exactly?

We have every Asian nation living and operating successful resteraunts here in Aus, and the food is clean, and better quality. Fact.

Ask Japan why they pay thousands for our Tuna. Why do other countries including Thailand pay so much for our Beef. Quality that's why.

Edited by krisb

Australia.....bleached chicken on steroids and fruit and vege dipped in every chemical known to man.

Australia exports it A class food goods to richer Asian neighbours and Aussies get the rubbish.

Rant over...apologies.

No need to apologize when you are wrong.

Even my Thai wife hates admitting food here in Australia is much better quality than Thailand.

I mean chicken on steroids??..maybe you havn't been here before?

I see no one here was ever in HaNoi Vietnam .The Chinese then French then their own Vietnamese you have the best of all worlds.

I lived in Hanoi for a while and I agree on the good food. Lots of good foreign places too and a variety of decent beers that are dirt cheap. thumbsup.gif

If I include Guangzhou, China, the food was dire. There was KFC but on principle I refused to order it. The best I have come across is in Thailand. As I get older though I tend to avoid the street stalls, seen too many rats for my liking.

in India they are on the menu (rats.) No disrespect intended.

If I include Guangzhou, China, the food was dire. There was KFC but on principle I refused to order it. The best I have come across is in Thailand. As I get older though I tend to avoid the street stalls, seen too many rats for my liking.

in India they are on the menu (rats.) No disrespect intended.

In Thailand too. I've a picture (somewhere ...) of skinned rat on display in a local market in Isaan.

Thanks for all . For many replys!

My dream would be to work for hotels , and restaurant to test the food quality !

Mexican food to fat!

Who world health organization

says the most fat people living in Malaysia in Asia !

We Falangs see this food is fat

Make exercise and sport programs everyday

But why Thais eat everyday the fat street food are even more slim?

Make little bit sport, go every meter with the motor bike, farang go jogging

Try to live healthy, follow some diet plans , but not loose weight so something goes wrong!

Because we eat to much!

In Bali I miss the fresh herbal!

Most of restaurants was emty

In this'll you have the choice when a foods stall has less people inside

I not go for eat!

But in Bali many restaurant was emty

Like a ghost town , often I was alone in there !

Some say Mass cooking not good

But when a restaurant must buy

Everything for cook , but don't know how many people come for eat quality goes down!

We must do it like the football stars import our own food!

I can eat everything but when I stay long time in a area where is no choice

Of food comparing to Thailand then I must go another place!

Look in google under award winning restaurants in Thailand all the are listed in Thai Air Magazine fah Thai if you want good food go to the blue elephant in Phuket or Bangkok !

Thai food just like Chinese food is better prepared and tastes better in South African restaurants. The worst food I've ever tried to eat at a restaurant was in Cambodia. Somehow they even managed to get the salad to taste bad. Had to send back all three of my courses. Having said this you can get good and bad food anywhere. I do love fresh Thai street food other than the fried insect types.