I'd Like To Die In The Land I Love, Would You?

Neeranam

To be on the legal side of things, isn't it required to have a work permit to die in Thailand? This would make it impossible for retirees to qualify for a permit, thus relegating them to die elsewhere (perhaps in their home country).

laugh.png

lol

But suicide is legal here but illegal in my country. Maybe get some kinda package suicide holidays going.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be on the legal side of things, isn't it required to have a work permit to die in Thailand? This would make it impossible for retirees to qualify for a permit, thus relegating them to die elsewhere (perhaps in their home country).

laugh.png

lol

But suicide is legal here but illegal in my country. Maybe get some kinda package suicide holidays going.

Suicide illegal in your country > Do you get the death sentence for it ?

• Like 1

Of course I love my motherland. Thailand is just a country to me. When treated as a falang, foreigner, even after a LONG time here and never ever given

the chance of getting something. I can never in my life say I love this country. But no problem, let me burn here, spread my ashes, and let the next generation

take over...

Glegolo

• Like 1

Dirt? Land? My dog likes dirt. She digs in in and rolls around in it; I don't. We were all born by accident somewhere. Now some people are waxing poetic about some dirt where they were dropped by accident.

I live in Thailand because I like the people. I don't care much for the dirt. It's better than Vietnam but that's not saying much.

Good Post: reminded me of this:

. . . . . . . I am no longer young and I have learned much, - gathered it brick-by-brick along the way and trimmed each brick and cemented it into the wall. – The fortress of my manhood is not yet completed, but what I have built so far is strong.

Yet the purpose of a fortress is to protect and hold safely those things that are precious. - If during the building a man loses and expends those things which he wishes to protect, then the finished fortress is a mockery.

I have not lost it all; - a little I have used in barter – I have traded a little faith for the knowledge of evil; - exchanged a little laughter for the understanding of death; - a little freedom for a son (and this was a good trade) – but I know there’s still something left . . . . . . . . . .

From Wilbur Smith

The Sound Of Thunder (Page 56)

Pretty much sums-up my sentiments on the subject.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I've lived in several places and each had some good and some bad, but I have very fond memories from all of them. Were any of them particularly outstanding? Not really. And if I went back would they still be the places I remember? I doubt it. So I guess I'll just die in the place were my life ends. smile.png

• Like 1

Sitting on the fence or painting it is another way of saying procrastination or no way to decide one way or the other. See a fortune teller for the grim reapers arrival date so you can beat him to your loved death or dying location

Until I was 30ish I loved London but then I grew to hate it. My employer never let me down and is the reason I can afford to retire comfortably in Thailand. I have family in the UK but I cannot say we are very close now. I have a girlfriend in Thailand with a daughter (not mine) and have decided to devote the rest of my life (I am 63 now) to the daughter's well being because although we are not the same blood I love her and feel I am the only hope in her life. At the moment I have no desire to return to the UK but I hope Thailand does not go the same way London did.

If I die in Thailand, I can't really say I died in the land I love, could you?

No, I couldn't. If given the choice I'd die in The Czech Republic as it's the country I love the most and feel most at home in. It's not a major issue though and there are a lot worse places to be than in Thailand to see out my last days.

Ashes scattered in Wenceslas Square thumbsup.gif

Not a bad place to be at the end.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, that's what I thought before I found out about the lack of palliative care in Thailand. Not so sure now.

"Palliative care"? Just grab the Nembutal!

I'm not sure my local pharmacy carries it, otherwise I might keep some on hand.

I am 64, good health, left my home country (not english speaking country ) almost 4 years ago but I know Thailand since 1975; Thailand is my country and I hope to die there; no other alternative.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, that's what I thought before I found out about the lack of palliative care in Thailand. Not so sure now.

"Palliative care"? Just grab the Nembutal!

I'm not sure my local pharmacy carries it, otherwise I might keep some on hand.

It's all laid out on the shelf, tons of the stuff.

There's usually a skull and crossbones sign outside saying, 'Get you Nembutal Here'.......................rolleyes.gif

I continue to be astounded by the short sightedness of people's view of DEATH. It is as if when the body dies....then all of life stops. What bullshit. Life continues....people should do more research about Life after "death". I don't give a flying f where my body ends up on this screwed up world....my life will have plenty more to offer once I am rid of the vessel / prison called a body.

Until I was 30ish I loved London but then I grew to hate it. My employer never let me down and is the reason I can afford to retire comfortably in Thailand. I have family in the UK but I cannot say we are very close now. I have a girlfriend in Thailand with a daughter (not mine) and have decided to devote the rest of my life (I am 63 now) to the daughter's well being because although we are not the same blood I love her and feel I am the only hope in her life. At the moment I have no desire to return to the UK but I hope Thailand does not go the same way London did.

I will always love London. It's where I came into this world and if I have to leave, it's where I would choose to be at the time.

I agree with the OP's sentiments on this topic, which is quite astounding because unless I am mixing Neeranam up with somebody else, I don't think that's ever happened before.

I continue to be astounded by the short sightedness of people's view of DEATH. It is as if when the body dies....then all of life stops. What bullshit. Life continues....people should do more research about Life after "death". I don't give a flying f where my body ends up on this screwed up world....my life will have plenty more to offer once I am rid of the vessel / prison called a body.

If you mean by "life continues" that we once again become part of the cosmos on some kind of molecular level, I agree. If you're talking about angels with harps singing at the gates of heaven, you've lost me.

• Like 1

I envisage my last sights here of a doctor and nurse and all the hospital staff gathered around me....not out of concern for my mortal remains....but to make sure the bills are paid and I have signed what needs to be signed......any luck and I'll cancel the credit card the day before.

• Like 2

As for the OP, I concur and respect your decisions...., be where you wish to be when the end is near. From that you derive comfort and likely will be surrounded by family when the time comes.

As for me...., I plan to live forever so I'm going to pass on any personal contemplative in this regard. rolleyes.gif

"before I found out about the lack of palliative care in Thailand."

Well that's true. In Thailand, once your dead, they stop the palliative care.

I'm pretty sure once I'm dead, the location of my body will not be a major concern to me.

I'm beginning to understand why authors like Barbara Cartland sell so many books. Obviously the sentimental drama queen demographic is broader than I thought.

DSC02819.JPG

A very interesting topic. I agree that life is too short to think about death and all that, but when you reach the age where past colleagues,friends girlfriends, and close family start to die off, it does make you think. Too many people I know have often died young.

When I go back to Oz for a family event as I did after an 8 year absence recently, all the friends and rellies suddenly seemed a lot older than me, of course. As much as I love Thailand, its not my home. There is a couple of places in Oz I'd like to be spread over, but on the other hand I'd also be up for some new nano- technology that renewed organs, or a brain preservation scheme, so maybe I'm not ready to die just yet.

• Like 1

I'd prefer to turn up my toes in my home country but anywhere is OK with me. My wife told me she just wants us to be together and when she goes she wants our ashes in the same place. I feel the same way.

I miss the ''Bookies'' too..

anyway, my feelings on this is, with the driving standards of Thailand being like they are, i dont think we will have that choice, each time, i leave the Condo, in my car, i always get the feeling , ''Will this be my last time"" ??

But your dream sounds good...

But for me, when i am dead i am dead, so basically could not give a ''Monkeys'' where i get buried...

Here is an interesting www.ted.com talk by Pico Iyer entitled WHERE IS HOME?

Pico Iyer was born and raised somewhere in England ; moved to California and built an illustrious career.Lately; I read that he lives in Japan with his Japanese girlfriend/fiance.

http://img.tedcdn.com/r/images.ted.com/images/ted/85a7e0b84f99c0bb409fe2596d547868f7a2991e_1600x1200.jpg?ll=1&quality=89&w=800