I'd Like To Die In The Land I Love, Would You?

Neeranam

To be honest I don't really care where I die, I'll be dead, won't see or feel anything, so whats the difference where that is, but where I LIVE, now that is a different story. Isn't it so much more important to live where you love / enjoy / are happy?

When I die they must just through the ashes somewhere nice, I don't want to be roach food and rot in a box

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I continue to be astounded by the short sightedness of people's view of DEATH. It is as if when the body dies....then all of life stops. What bullshit. Life continues....

I'm glad that you are so sure about it. Personally, I have no idea what happens after one dies and I do not believe that any other living human being does either.

Having made Thailand my home for most of my adult life, I would much prefer to die here, but am put off by the very poor level of palliative care available. I want to die at home, which for me is the house I own in Thailand and love, and not in a hospital. But I also do not want to die in unrelieved pain. So I just have my fingers crossed that proper home hospice care becomes available here by the time I need it, as it definitely is not available now.

• Like 1

I don't share such sentiments. Where my corpse decays doesn't affect me. I will be dead anyway. I don't love any country. Yes, sometimes i miss Scotland too, but after returning a few months i realize why i left in the first place.

Home for me isn't a country, but where my family is and that is here.

• Like 2

I don't share such sentiments. Where my corpse decays doesn't affect me. I will be dead anyway. I don't love any country. Yes, sometimes i miss Scotland too, but after returning a few months i realize why i left in the first place.

Maybe I didn't make it clear but I really meant in the OP where I'd like to be put out to pasture, not my actual death. I don't care where I actually die but leading up to death(maybe 5-10 years or so), I'd like to be in Scotland.

Maybe I didn't make it clear but I really meant in the OP where I'd like to be put out to pasture, not my actual death. I don't care where I actually die but leading up to death(maybe 5-10 years or so), I'd like to be in Scotland.

Having made Thailand my home for most of my adult life, I would much prefer to die here, but am put off by the very poor level of palliative care available. I want to die at home, which for me is the house I own in Thailand and love, and not in a hospital. But I also do not want to die in unrelieved pain. So I just have my fingers crossed that proper home hospice care becomes available here by the time I need it, as it definitely is not available now.

Jesus H, they shoot horses dont they?

Agree 101%, I dont care where I am, I want to make the choice, if it means pressing a button or drinking the "kool aid" so be it.

Please dont hook me up to some machine to keep me artificially alive and boost your profits, whether those of the hospital or drug company that sponsors you.

I can well understand why some choose to jump from condos, I only hope when my time comes I have the same option.

Sheryl, if you ever hear of such a place, please keep us informed.

Neeranam, bannork - I almost envy you, but

poetic as you are I wouldn't swap my 360 degrees view on the beach in a high rise, sea to swim in all year round, looking out at my beauty tri, sailing with friends and coming back to a Thai wife cooked European meal.

And all this with no mosquitoes, no dogs, no cats, no snakes, no frogs, no thieves, no closed doors/windows and a pleasant sea breeze/high wind through your hair. Irreplaceable!

As to dying, - I am too old to even think of this nonsense. When it comes I will be ready. But there is no point in hurrying. And you wouldn't catch me painting any fence. I leave it to younger boys. tongue.png

• Like 2

I continue to be astounded by the short sightedness of people's view of DEATH. It is as if when the body dies....then all of life stops. What bullshit. Life continues....people should do more research about Life after "death". I don't give a flying f where my body ends up on this screwed up world....my life will have plenty more to offer once I am rid of the vessel / prison called a body.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif Oh yes , our energy forces leaves us and go to the central energy storage facility where it is then recycled, processed and sent out into the next human creation. Key to this is that "human" energy is more important than any other organism's "energy". Chimpanzee energy just isn't the same, because humans are so much more energy superior. The bullshit is the adherence to silly inventions of the mind that life continues after the physical presence is gone. People have a hard time accepting that when its over, its over so they create fantasies to cope with things that are too frightening or complex for them to grasp. .

We can leave a legacy of good memories and good deeds that our friends and immediate family will remember for some years. However, after they die, those memories are gone too. There is no energy field, there is no "soul" that drifts off, and there is no ability to do a Vulcan mind meld that transfers the essence of life to another. If one wants to be remembered and to continue in a positive way, plant some trees, or leave an endowment to the sciences, arts or the environment. That's good for a couple generations.laugh.png

I continue to be astounded by the short sightedness of people's view of DEATH. It is as if when the body dies....then all of life stops. What bullshit. Life continues....people should do more research about Life after "death". I don't give a flying f where my body ends up on this screwed up world....my life will have plenty more to offer once I am rid of the vessel / prison called a body.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif Oh yes , our energy forces leaves us and go to the central energy storage facility where it is then recycled, processed and sent out into the next human creation. Key to this is that "human" energy is more important than any other organism's "energy". Chimpanzee energy just isn't the same, because humans are so much more energy superior. The bullshit is the adherence to silly inventions of the mind that life continues after the physical presence is gone. People have a hard time accepting that when its over, its over so they create fantasies to cope with things that are too frightening or complex for them to grasp. .

We can leave a legacy of good memories and good deeds that our friends and immediate family will remember for some years. However, after they die, those memories are gone too. There is no energy field, there is no "soul" that drifts off, and there is no ability to do a Vulcan mind meld that transfers the essence of life to another. If one wants to be remembered and to continue in a positive way, plant some trees, or leave an endowment to the sciences, arts or the environment. That's good for a couple generations.laugh.png

how can you be so sure that sentient beings do not possess an energy or consciousness that survives their physical existance?

Imagine being burned/buried on soil you could never own, even if you were alive.

who cares, I'd be dead, and besides ,I'd be burned and stored at the temple with my family.

Edited by AYJAYDEE

We will all die.

Some deaths are fast, such as an acute MI (heart attack), and some slow such as cancer.

I think it is wise to maintain ties to a "home country" just in case we anticipate a slow death.

Thailand, with its history of opiate abuse seems to have a pathological fear of opiates which seems to extend to end-of-life care. (Read: Intense suffering = give them acetaminophen not opiates.)

Having done nursing hospice (end-of-life, palliative care) where the objective is a dignified, comfortable death I have seen where access to opiates makes a very comfortable and very dignified/relaxed exit. Without them, it is something quite else indeed.

Perhaps in 15 or twenty years Thailand will relax opiate end-of-life pharmacology to give those dieing in a painful manner, a comfortable end, but in the meantime, I suggest that if you anticipate a painful end (bone cancer, etc.) keep a link to move back to quality end-of-life palliative (care designed to relieve suffering) care, and you'll probably not find it in Thailand.

This is a generalization of course. and over time doctors may realize that opiates are appropriate for end-of-life. But the legal view of opiates versus a doctor's enlightened view may be quite different.

Edited by jsflynn603

We will all die.

Some deaths are fast, such as an acute MI (heart attack), and some slow such as cancer.

I think it is wise to maintain ties to a "home country" just in case we anticipate a slow death.

Thailand, with its history of opiate abuse seems to have a pathological fear of opiates which seems to extend to end-of-life care. (Read: Intense suffering = give them acetaminophen not opiates.)

Having done nursing hospice (end-of-life, palliative care) where the objective is a dignified, comfortable death I have seen where access to opiates makes a very comfortable and very dignified/relaxed exit. Without them, it is something quite else indeed.

Perhaps in 15 or twenty years Thailand will relax opiate end-of-life pharmacology to give those dieing in a painful manner, a comfortable end, but in the meantime, I suggest that if you anticipate a painful end (bone cancer, etc.) keep a link to move back to quality end-of-life palliative (care designed to relieve suffering) care, and you'll probably not find it in Thailand.

This is a generalization of course. and over time doctors may realize that opiates are appropriate for end-of-life. But the legal view of opiates versus a doctor's enlightened view may be quite different.

This wasn't true in the case I witnessed, where the patient was prescribed as much morphine as necessary to dull the pain and died relatively peacefully at home.

• Like 2

We will all die.

This wasn't true in the case I witnessed, where the patient was prescribed as much morphine as necessary to dull the pain and died relatively peacefully at home.

In general, he is right though. It is almost impossible for many people to get opiates to fight pain in Thailand. It is almost barbaric.

I want my body parts to be placed in museums in different countries. So i can be all over just like when i was alive.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We will all die.

In general, he is right though. It is almost impossible for many people to get opiates to fight pain in Thailand. It is almost barbaric.

Well, I haven't seen that in my time here. My gf was prescribed codeine just the other day for a minor complaint so they don't seem to have a problem with opiates.....

Perhaps government and private hospitals have different policies or are you talking about the entire medical profession in Thailand?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Imagine being burned/buried on soil you could never own, even if you were alive.

You ought to know we don't own anything in this world. It is delusional to think otherwise. Sorry for getting too philosophical, but we don't even own our own bodies. They leave us in the end too. And we have to leave everything we thought we owned behind.

And to be scientific, everything is a mass of atoms owned by the universe. Nothing is ours.

And if i am still so full of ego on my deathbed that i worry about being burned on a piece of earth that "i never owned", then something is far wrong and life has been wasted.

Let's enjoy Thailand for what it is for however long we choose (and good luck to Neeranam on his quest home...have a decent dram for me mate wai2.gif).

• Like 2

<I've been living in Thailand for over 20 years>

Well, you can forget about the medical care then, unless you pay for it ( or you leave Thailand early enough to get residency back home ).

Also, things always seem rosy looking from afar, but when I went home, the cold made me long for Thailand again.

We will all die.

Really? I broke 2 ribs recently and was the most painful thing to ever happen to me. I got opiates over the counter although I could only take them for 1 week due to my drug abuse history.

I had a friend who regularly got morphine from a doc in Bangkok , Bamrungrad.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You ought to know we don't own anything in this world. It is delusional to think otherwise. Sorry for getting too philosophical, but we don't even own our own bodies. They leave us in the end too. And we have to leave everything we thought we owned behind.

And to be scientific, everything is a mass of atoms owned by the universe. Nothing is ours.

And if i am still so full of ego on my deathbed that i worry about being burned on a piece of earth that "i never owned", then something is far wrong and life has been wasted.

Let's enjoy Thailand for what it is for however long we choose (and good luck to Neeranam on his quest home...have a decent dram for me mate wai2.gif).

Thanks!

Good post!

Getting rid of ego is a lifelong endeavor for me.

The only thing Thailand might be good for when I'm in my 70s is the pretty nurses to look after me but again hopefully I'll have conquered the lust thing by then.

Well, I haven't seen that in my time here. My gf was prescribed codeine just the other day for a minor complaint so they don't seem to have a problem with opiates.....

It is almost impossible to get anything stronger than low doses of Tylenol with Codeine for having wisdom teeth pulled or a root canal. It the USA you get very strong opiates for that type of pain. Codeine only binds weakly to the opiate receptors, it is not very efficacious as a pain reliever. Codeine is a weak agonist. (It activates the opiate receptors weakly.) It is 20 times weaker than Morphine.

• Like 1