Extn of stay versus Multi Non O.

If you leave the country regularly is there any real benefit in an extension of stay over the multi non O.

In the next few weeks I need to make a decision and trying to decide which way to jump.

Possible options are.

Get another multi non o in the UK based on pension. The marriage option has been taken from me with new financial requirements, now 65K a month.

Get another multi non o in Laos based on marriage. It has been reported that no proof of income required.

or

Apply for an extension of stay based on marriage. My pension lies between 40K and 65K criteria.

The UK visa would be £125 + postage about 7000 baht and the extn about 8300 baht(Income letter, application and re-entry), so not a great deal of difference there. Not sure about Laos fees.

If you plan to make a trip anyway the travelling costs become academic.

I suppose what i really want to know is if an extn of stay does anything for you that I am not aware of.

The extension of stay has two advantages:

- if the rules change, it is likely you will be grandfathered under the old rules. But that doesn't happen always.

- you can leave when you want, but don't have to go at least every 90 days.

The multiple non-immigrant visa on the otherhand doesn't require money in the bank in Thailand.

Do mean you are no longer married when you say the 40k baht income has been taken from you. There has been no changes it is still 40k baht.

Unless you are 65 or over you will not get a multiple entry visa based upon retirement in the UK. People have found them hard to get based upon marriage also.

You can get a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage in Savannakhet with no financial proof needed. The fee is 5000 baht.

Do mean you are no longer married when you say the 40k baht income has been taken from you. There has been no changes it is still 40k baht.

Unless you are 65 or over you will not get a multiple entry visa based upon retirement in the UK. People have found them hard to get based upon marriage also.

You can get a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage in Savannakhet with no financial proof needed. The fee is 5000 baht.

I am not married and I am under 65.

For 8 years I have had Non-Imm 'O' visas from the UK.

I rarely go back now and the Royal Thai Embassy made it quite clear that my only option was an O-A visa.

I have just obtained my first extension based on retirement.

I have had a non O based on marriage for the last 5 years without a problem, but this year they introduced a financial requirement.

Category “O”
--------------------------
1) Married to a Thai national.
Evidence required:
a) Copy of Original Thai Marriage Certificate (front and back).
B) Copy of spouse’s Thai ID Card or Thai Passport showing married name.
c) Copy of latest 3 months Bank Statements (Thai or UK bank) showing regular income of minimum 65,000 baht (or equivalent in another currency) per month. Bank Statements must include name and address of visa applicant and address on Bank Statements must be same as on Visa Application Form. Please bear in mind that it may be necessary to check this information with the employer.
Either a single or multiple entry visa may be granted in these circumstances.
My pension is between 40K and 65K so it is under the level for visa based on marriage, but I could get it as a pensioner over 65. As you have confirmed I could also get it in Laos.
From what I understand I could also get an extension based on marriage with a 40K+ income.
My question was what advantage is the extension if you regularly leave Thailand.

I don't know where you got that info but it is wrong (it appears to of come from an embassy or consulate website) . There has been no change to the police order for extensions of stay,

If there had been there would been a huge topic about it on the this forum.

Clause 2.18 of police order 777/2551

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.
  • Like 1

I don't know where you got that info but it is wrong (it appears to of come from an embassy or consulate website) . There has been no change to the police order for extensions of stay,

If there had been there would been a huge topic about it on the this forum.

Clause 2.18 of police order 777/2551

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

You are not reading the posts correctly.

My comments regarding a change in requirements was in respect of an application made in the UK for a Non O multi visa based on marriage. The Thai Embassy in London have made the changes.

We had someone report a few weeks back that he was refused, in the UK, a Non O based on marriage because his bank statements were not in order.

I have posted this twice already "From what I understand I could also get an extension based on marriage with a 40K+ income."

There does not appear to be an answer to the original question. If you leave Thailand regularly, what is the advantage of an extension over the multi Non o?

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

The extension of stay has two advantages:

- if the rules change, it is likely you will be grandfathered under the old rules. But that doesn't happen always.

- you can leave when you want, but don't have to go at least every 90 days.

The multiple non-immigrant visa on the otherhand doesn't require money in the bank in Thailand.

Not really an advantage if you are leaving regularly.

I am too old to worry about the future so it looks like no real benefit.

You have to make a trip a to an embassy or consulate to get a multiple entry visa. Dependent on where you go for it and/or where you live it can be a very long trip to get one.

For an extension of stay you just need to make a trip to your local immigration office to apply. Twice if applying for an extension based upon marriage.

A long shot but if you were able to scrape up the 400,000 Baht in a Thai regular accessible bank account (not tied up in a higher interest account)

It must be in the bank for at least 60 days before you apply for a marriage extension in Thailand the first time.

The cost (in Kasikorn bank) is 100 Baht for the letter. The Brit consul charge about 50 quid for the letter - a huge saving.

Note all subsequent applications will require the money to be in the bank for 90 days.

Good luck anyway.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You have to make a trip a to an embassy or consulate to get a multiple entry visa. Dependent on where you go for it and/or where you live it can be a very long trip to get one.

For an extension of stay you just need to make a trip to your local immigration office to apply. Twice if applying for an extension based upon marriage.

Sorry, i meant which is more difficult to get for marriage (i.e. do the authorities easily give extensions based on marriage and how easily will the embassy issue a multiple entry based on marriage)

Thanks again. Sorry for my unclear wording, lol facepalm.gif

I consider where you have to go as part of the difficulty.

I have gotten 6 extensions of stay based upon marriage and have had no difficulty getting them.

With the multiple entry visa it would depend upon where you go. Some embassies and consulates can be unpredictable because one day a person has no problem and the next a person has their application refused.

• Like 1

correct me if I'm wrong, but with a multiple entry visa as opposed to EXT of stay, one would not have to get a reentry permit if they wanted to leave the country before the 90 days was up, granted they would lose one of their entries prematurely, but still they wouldn't have to pay the money for the permit instead just using one of the three entries....

correct me if I'm wrong, but with a multiple entry visa as opposed to EXT of stay, one would not have to get a reentry permit if they wanted to leave the country before the 90 days was up, granted they would lose one of their entries prematurely, but still they wouldn't have to pay the money for the permit instead just using one of the three entries....

The advantage of an extension of stay is you do not have to leave unless you want to. You can get a multiple re-entry permit that would be valid for the length of the extension if you planned on making several trips out of the country.

With a multiple entry visa you can leave whenever you want but you have to do it before your 90 entry runs out. There is no limit on the number of entries you can do with the visa.

A long shot but if you were able to scrape up the 400,000 Baht in a Thai regular accessible bank account (not tied up in a higher interest account)

It must be in the bank for at least 60 days before you apply for a marriage extension in Thailand the first time.

The cost (in Kasikorn bank) is 100 Baht for the letter. The Brit consul charge about 50 quid for the letter - a huge saving.

Note all subsequent applications will require the money to be in the bank for 90 days.

Good luck anyway.

Every year the requirement is the money in the bank for 60 days.

One potential negative side of non-o multi is the border run - not only are they tiring and frustrating but as recent changes are showing it can be up to the border official whether he allows you smooth passage, unless he thinks you are working illegally - perhaps less so in the case of o-a but I predict married guys (not working) are going to be suspects too...

I worked in Malaysia recently and a non-o was fine as I hardly ever stayed in Thailand the full 90 days and never did out-in runs. Fast forward to last week where I did an out-in run and I had to show money, marriage cert and stand on one leg while whistling Amazing Grace through my rear - but I did get in. Visiting your wife is by no means a 'human right' in this part of the world - you are more than welcome to take her with you if you don't like it...

• Like 2

Good luck anyway.

Please check with the website or an expert.

First application cash in the bank 60 days

subsequent applications 90 days.

(means; the next and forever after)

Good luck anyway.

You are wrong, It is only 60 days for every extension based upon marriage.

The 60/90 is for extensions based upon retirement.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I consider where you have to go as part of the difficulty.

I have gotten 6 extensions of stay based upon marriage and have had no difficulty getting them.

With the multiple entry visa it would depend upon where you go. Some embassies and consulates can be unpredictable because one day a person has no problem and the next a person has their application refused.

Thanks!

Good luck anyway.

You are wrong, It is only 60 days for every extension based upon marriage.

The 60/90 is for extensions based upon retirement.

Thanks - good to know.

One potential negative side of non-o multi is the border run - not only are they tiring and frustrating but as recent changes are showing it can be up to the border official whether he allows you smooth passage, unless he thinks you are working illegally - perhaps less so in the case of o-a but I predict married guys (not working) are going to be suspects too...

I worked in Malaysia recently and a non-o was fine as I hardly ever stayed in Thailand the full 90 days and never did out-in runs. Fast forward to last week where I did an out-in run and I had to show money, marriage cert and stand on one leg while whistling Amazing Grace through my rear - but I did get in. Visiting your wife is by no means a 'human right' in this part of the world - you are more than welcome to take her with you if you don't like it...

I have to assume that you are making general comments rather than to the OP. I have left the country 5 times in the last year and seldom make border runs. If I do, I go to Ban Laem, it is about 3 hours away and my wife comes with me, You should not assume everyone goes by mini bus. It is usually about 30 minutes in and out, she wants 20 minutes in the duty free shop. We did get delayed once coming back into Thailand, the immigration officer asked my wife to help choosing a carpet from a street vendor, had to wait for her to put it in her car, very frustrating. We do not normally go home from there, either on to Koh Chang or Ao Yam.

As previously stated I am on state pension and as the Thais normally retire at 60, it is highly unlikely that an immigration officer would suspect me of working. Of course I may come across one that is a bit short sighted.

whistling.gif If you are over 50 years of age I would recommend looking into an extension based on retirement in Thailand.

That is what is often referred to as a retirement visa, but in fact is really a retirement EXTENSION of your current visa you get locally form your Thai immigration.

The advantage are:

• You are eligible for such a "visa" if you are over 50 (not 65 years)
  • You need 800K in Thai baht equivalent OR an income equal to 65K Thai Baht monthly OR a combination of both sources so that your total annual income is greater than 800K Thai baht annually.
  • That 3rd combination choice is what makes this possibility worthwhile. For example if you can handle the sum of let's just say, 200K Thai baht equivalent in your Thai bank account, and at the same time you have a pension equal to 600K Thai baht annually ..... then your total COMBINATION income annually is equal to the required 800K Thai Baht .... and you qualify for that so-called "retirement" visa.
  • This combination income is NOT valid for a marriage "visa" extension but is valid for a "retirement visa".
  • The bad news is that a "retirement visa" normally does not allow you to work in Thailand, but a "marriage" visa does.
  • IF you can afford that retirement visa, which will be good for one year at a time, you can also purchase a multi entry re-entry permit which will allow you unlimited travel in and out of Thailand during the one year period of your "retirement" visa. Therefore you do not need a multi entry one year Non O visa to travel in and out of Thailand.
  • Obviously not everyone can qualify for such a combination of Bank deposit in Thailand and a pension from outside of Thailand, but some will have enough COMBINATION income to pass that 800K annual income barrier and qualify for that :retirement" visa.
  • Look into it carefully, you may qualify for such a 'retirement" visa. if you do take advantage of the rules, it's totally legal and it will save you money and is much easier to get in Thailand than a ;marriage " visa is.

Look at it carefully, you might just qualify by those financial combination rules.

• Like 1

whistling.gif If you are over 50 years of age I would recommend looking into an extension based on retirement in Thailand.

That is what is often referred to as a retirement visa, but in fact is really a retirement EXTENSION of your current visa you get locally form your Thai immigration.

The advantage are:

• You need 800K in Thai baht equivalent OR an income equal to 65K Thai Baht monthly OR a combination of both sources so that your total annual income is greater than 800K Thai baht annually.
  • That 3rd combination choice is what makes this possibility worthwhile. For example if you can handle the sum of let's just say, 200K Thai baht equivalent in your Thai bank account, and at the same time you have a pension equal to 600K Thai baht annually ..... then your total COMBINATION income annually is equal to the required 800K Thai Baht .... and you qualify for that so-called "retirement" visa.
  • This combination income is NOT valid for a marriage "visa" extension but is valid for a "retirement visa".
  • The bad news is that a "retirement visa" normally does not allow you to work in Thailand, but a "marriage" visa does.
  • IF you can afford that retirement visa, which will be good for one year at a time, you can also purchase a multi entry re-entry permit which will allow you unlimited travel in and out of Thailand during the one year period of your "retirement" visa. Therefore you do not need a multi entry one year Non O visa to travel in and out of Thailand.
  • Obviously not everyone can qualify for such a combination of Bank deposit in Thailand and a pension from outside of Thailand, but some will have enough COMBINATION income to pass that 800K annual income barrier and qualify for that :retirement" visa.
  • Look into it carefully, you may qualify for such a 'retirement" visa. if you do take advantage of the rules, it's totally legal and it will save you money and is much easier to get in Thailand than a ;marriage " visa is.

Look at it carefully, you might just qualify by those financial combination rules.

Why is everyone hung up on extensions. Not everyone has money in the bank. Some of us have built homes, not that it counts for much.

A multi Non O is available to persons over 65 on state pension, no level imposed.

A multi Non O is available to persons over 65 on state pension, no level imposed.

No. I think it's a UK's rule only.

No special treatment for +65 yo in France by example:

http://www.thaiembassy.fr/fr/visa/visa-non-immigrant-«-o-»-a-partir-de-50-ans/

Anyone asking in France for a non-O "because over 50 yo"

must prove 5'000 (or 200'000 baht) in bank during last 3 months.

Rules are not the same worldwide... sad.png

Edited by Pattaya46

No. I think it's a UK's rule only.

No special treatment for +65 yo in France by example:

http://www.thaiembassy.fr/fr/visa/visa-non-immigrant-«-o-»-a-partir-de-50-ans/

Anyone asking in France for a non-O "because over 50 yo"

must prove 5'000 (or 200'000 baht) in bank during last 3 months.

Rules are not the same worldwide... sad.png

It is only possible for UK citizens and only if you apply in the UK at one of the consulates.

The advantage are:

Why is everyone hung up on extensions. Not everyone has money in the bank. Some of us have built homes, not that it counts for much.

Not in my country (Sweden)

To the OP question. I leave Thailand regularly. Two times a year I go home to Sweden a couple of weeks. And I also like to travel a few times every year in S.E.Asia. For me there is no advantage in having the extension of stay over the non-O multiple visa. Probably the opposite because of the higher money demands to qualify for the extension of stay. The non-O also give me 15 months stay in Thailand. The other I have to renew every 12 months. The multiple non-O (retire based) is also very easy to get in Sweden.

But next time I will apply for the extension of stay. Because I will travel less in the future.

I need to renew my retirement visa shortly and I am not sure if the goal posts have been moved from last year. Can anyone tell me what documents are required for a Retirement visa now?

Which embassy or consulate do you plan on applying for the non-o visa based upon retirement. It varies from place to place and at most embassies you will not get one.

Or perhaps you are asking abut an extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration here. For this their have been no changes.