THAI staff urged to take sick or business leave during May 22-26

Lite Beer

tg-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International labour union has urged its members to take sick or business leave during May 22-26 in conjunction with the state enterprise unions’ threat of a general strike during the period to put pressure on the government.

THAI state enterprise labour union today (Monday) issued a statement voicing support for national reform and for the battle to reclaim sovereign powers for the people.

Mr Somsak Manop, deputy president of THAI state enterprise labour union, said that the national flag carrier was already suffering operational losses whether its staff take leave or not to take leave.

He said that if all the union members numbering about 15,000 simultaneously take leave during May 22-26, Thai Airways International will automatically stop operations.

Mr Chokchai Panyayong, acting president of THAI, said that the management had taken steps to deal with the consequences from the threatened work stoppage. But as a national flag carrier, he assured that THAI would still continue to serve its passengers and its staff are responsible for their obligations.

He said that the company could not stop its staff from joining the protests staged by the People’s Democratic Reform Committee because they have to right to do so.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-staff-urged-take-sick-business-leave-may-22-26/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=thai-staff-urged-take-sick-business-leave-may-22-26

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-19

tg-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai

Mr Chokchai Panyayong, acting president of THAI, said that the management had taken steps to deal with the consequences from the threatened work stoppage. But as a national flag carrier, he assured that THAI would still continue to serve its passengers and its staff are responsible for their obligations.

He said that the company could not stop its staff from joining the protests staged by the People’s Democratic Reform Committee because they have to right to do so.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-staff-urged-take-sick-business-leave-may-22-26/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=thai-staff-urged-take-sick-business-leave-may-22-26

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-05-19

He's already got some taxi drivers lined up that promised him they could fly planes.

-*I typed this myself*-

• Like 2

" He said that the company could not stop its staff from joining the protests staged by the People’s Democratic Reform Committee because they have to right to do so. "

As indeed they do. This fiction that strikes are unheard of in the Western hemisphere is running rather thin. If the workers want to work, they'll work. If they don't, they won't. If they want to show solidarity with the reform movement, they will. If they don't, they won't. If they want to take sick leave or business leave, then they jolly well have that right. Chalerm can suck a lemon.

If they want to take sick leave or business leave, then they jolly well have that right?

Even if you are not sick?

• Like 1

Quote from the article:

Mr Somsak Manop, deputy president of THAI state enterprise labour union, said that the national flag carrier was already suffering operational losses whether its staff take leave or not to take leave.

I guess the logic of the union is to close the carrier down for four days and not worry about the possible loss of jobs for its members given the dire state of tourism at the moment. Is the Thai CEO going to select the next PM?

deputy president of THAI state enterprise labour union, said that the national flag carrier was already suffering operational losses whether its staff take leave or not to take leave.

I love that line.... so basically the airline is screwed so you may as well do what ever and that includes skipping off work for a week .... yay great advise ... he must have received notice hes going to be in the staff cuts or been promised safety from them if he gets members to go along with it.

Rather funny to advise everyone to do a sickie. For a week, that's really in the interest of the workers..... not

Gotta love irony of actually asking people to lie to their employer and skip off work because its in financial trouble so what the heck... coffee1.gif

As an airline union, representing its members this has nothing at all to do with its role its employer or its members ..

Just another group that is meddling in something it has nothing at all to do with.

Everyone here is a political expert but understands absolutely nothing about a democratic or electoral process... fools.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

They won't be missed. Indeed; the whole Airline wouldn't be !

Hahaha I have booked Bangkok Airways again next week currently my favorite airline for domestic flights.

If Thai plays around much longer considering their financial standing and starts to get involved in politics they won't be around much longer!

Ironically Thai is complaining that they made losses because of the political unrest in another threat in this forum!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" He said that the company could not stop its staff from joining the protests staged by the People’s Democratic Reform Committee because they have to right to do so. "

As indeed they do. This fiction that strikes are unheard of in the Western hemisphere is running rather thin. If the workers want to work, they'll work. If they don't, they won't. If they want to show solidarity with the reform movement, they will. If they don't, they won't. If they want to take sick leave or business leave, then they jolly well have that right. Chalerm can suck a lemon.

If they want to take sick leave or business leave, then they jolly well have that right?

Well what does sick mean?

- Got a cold, or broken leg?

- Sick of corruption and cronyism?

This has nothing to do with the reform movement. TG has been in a protracted dispute with its union long before Suthep showed up. The inconvenient truth is that the union leadership blames the government for the wakeup call Thai Smile and other cost containment measures have brought. The union leadership wants to protect the relatively high wages, generous pensions and perks employees receive. TG has to reduce its bloated workforce and trim pension entitlements or else it will go bankrupt.

• Like 1

They are all sick.

And the sickest of them all is Scamper, suffering from "fascism-is-okay"-itis. This can sometimes have the side effect syndrome known as, "no-really-guys-fascism-is-not-as-bad-as-they-say.-I-know-some-awfully-nice-fascists".

There is no cure.

• Like 1

deputy president of THAI state enterprise labour union, said that the national flag carrier was already suffering operational losses whether its staff take leave or not to take leave.

I love that line.... so basically the airline is screwed so you may as well do what ever and that includes skipping off work for a week .... yay great advise ... he must have received notice hes going to be in the staff cuts or been promised safety from them if he gets members to go along with it.

Rather funny to advise everyone to do a sickie. For a week, that's really in the interest of the workers..... not

Gotta love irony of actually asking people to lie to their employer and skip off work because its in financial trouble so what the heck... coffee1.gif

As an airline union, representing its members this has nothing at all to do with its role its employer or its members ..

Just another group that is meddling in something it has nothing at all to do with.

Everyone here is a political expert but understands absolutely nothing about a democratic or electoral process... fools.

Did not encourage it, merely saying they have a right to take sick leave under the law.

They are Thai citizens and have the right to do what they think is right... not meddling, it is YOU that is meddling in something that has NOTHING to do with YOU.

You just also encapsulated yourself in that comment..... you also know nothing about democracy if you support this government.

The level of hypocrisy is astounding to say the least.

Awww poor baby, did i hit a sore point this forum IS for commenting on.

you can spin it any way you like, a sickie has to be real you numpty of course hes encouraging it, clearly. facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

Just saying your sick when you arnt can lead to instant dismissal. Its called lying and fraudulently claiming wages from an employer wink.png

Guess thats one way to draw up a list of those to cut.

Edited by englishoak

They won't be missed. Indeed; the whole Airline wouldn't be !

Jing lor? I guess taking the train, man, so be it or you, is as you perceive. As it happens, I've flown TA quite a few times over the years and, generally, it is not a bad outfit.

A willingness to participate in those things Thai helps matters to sustain, instead of taking the proverbial out of everything Thai. Then again, maybe you hate Thai boys too! ??whistling.gif OPEN BOOK? Or here for standing room only?wai.gif

I plan to boycott Thai Airways and any other companies with unions which agree to go along with the "demands" of the fascist seditionist Suthep on 22-26 May.

I plan to boycott Thai Airways? Really?

When's the last time you flew, or even with TA?

Were you planning to fly between 22nd to 26th May, and so a cunning plan to 'boycott'...... with huge affect ?? :o

I will never fly them again.

Its quite possible that you wont be able to!

If (and its a big if) they do close down for the week, and given the somewhat parlous state of their finances, they may not reopen.

Consider that the resulting dent in their cash flow will affect their ability to pay leasing fees, airport charges and buy fuel. It's not as if there is a functioning government in place to bail them out.

Sad really, although there is a delicious irony in watching the Hi-Sos shooting themselves in the foot!

tg-wpcf_728x413.jpg

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-05-19

He's already got some taxi drivers lined up that promised him they could fly planes.

-*I typed this myself*-

The RTAF has already said they will step in to provide aircraft. The workers at Thai Airways International would be better advised to think about their long-term employment prospects and direct their energies to making the airline far more competitive than it now is and to vastly improve the passenger experience.

tg-wpcf_728x413.jpg

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-05-19

-*I typed this myself*-

The RTAF has already said they will step in to provide aircraft. The workers at Thai Airways International would be better advised to think about their long-term employment prospects and direct their energies to making the airline far more competitive than it now is and to vastly improve the passenger experience.

Even the army cannot stop people from calling in sick.

I plan to boycott Thai Airways and any other companies with unions which agree to go along with the "demands" of the fascist seditionist Suthep on 22-26 May.

I'm sure all those companies will be appropriately concerned at the loss of your custom whistling.gif

Huh? You mean workers have the right not to show up at work in order to participate in protests?? Not sure how many countries operate that way. So you mean to say that when the Occupy protests were happening in the west, it would have been perfectly legitimate for a person to beg off from work and go join the protesters? If I were a manager, I would have no problem with my staff protesting on their own time, but do it on company time and you won't have a company anymore. You and I seem to be living in very different universes...