Tipping Etiquette in Thailand

Hal65

What is the standard tipping etiquette in bars and restaurants? In traditional Thai places is tipping even expected at all? (Reason I ask is I hear in many countries, tipping is a foreign concept)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hal65 ...

You had an interest in the Kingdom for some many years ... how long have you lived in Thailand?

Hello, I've been here five weeks. You're right, I've been dreaming of the place for years before I had the opportunity to finally move here :-)

Edited by Hal65
  • Like 1

Many restaurants have a 10% service charge in which case fark all is given as a tip. All other places are given 20 baht.

My suspicions are that the "service charge" is a ruse & unlikely to filter down to the staff. I therefore usually drop THB 20 in the tip box of my regular haunts which is appreciated.

• Like 1

Hal65 ...

You had an interest in the Kingdom for some many years ... how long have you lived in Thailand?

Hello, I've been here five weeks. You're right, I've been dreaming of the place for years before I had the opportunity to finally move here :-)

Thanks Hal65 ... just that I noted that you joined 4 years ago.

But have had 25 OP's in these past 2 weeks.

Busy Boy ... rolleyes.gif

This place is a mine of information.

You will do well ... that's my Tip.

Elephants_zpsb52ebc80.png

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

I've been told not to tip in the cheap noodle places. Strange since I feel they deserve the tip more than the waitresses usually updating their Facebook status' in the medium priced restaurants who giggle and get all nervous serving the foreigner. The last medium priced restaurant I went to there was another foreigner present. When he paid I heard the staff asking each other how much he tipped and they were disappointed with 100 baht! After I heard that I gave them nothing as the service was sub standard anyway. At Moo Gatat places I wont tip either; the water and ice buckets are overly expensive there and its self service just like MK mentioned by another member.

I now tend to frequent the same places, If they are keeping an eye on my drink then I will tip 20-40 baht. I expect if I lived in BKK then I would be expected to tip more but here that seems acceptable.

Tipping in the US is part of the servers salary, you can add it on the CC when you pay the bill, they pay tax on this or give them a few dollars which they prefer as its tax free..

In Italy tipping is not expected but you alaways pay a charge per person per table.

Taxi drivers in Thailand for me always expect a tip especially from the airport in BKK.

i dont tip when I buy drinks, food, if the serice is ok and the food good I will.

Well if waitress fat I usually tip her over as leaving. But if lady nice give more than tip give whole thing but sometimes lady can only take tip guess it just depends sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.pngxofftopic.gif.pagespeed.ic.ifZtFTWxj3.pn Opps that's what happens when in the LOS to long It up to you if cheap charlie don't tip if service bad leave small tip if service good big tip if food good drop off tip to chef if food taste bad punch chef in face. If looking to impress date tip big. But 10% to 15% is the norm.But once gave waitress 200% tip pissed off resturant owner who was <deleted>.

First of all MK food substandard I like 8 better Don't like that volcano cone thing at outdoor place at Impact. the oversalted fish from the river that I wouldn't pee in much less eat what is caught in it

It may not be expected but at MK Restaurants The server for some reason always waits after you receive the pay tray like they expect you to pay a tip. I hate this .Why don't they give you your change and leave

Its because they expect a tip . For what. We cooked the food.

No, not because they expect a tip.

They are told to remove the tray immediately on page 187 of the MK Employees manual. It's part of the business model.

That's why they do it in ALL MKs. Capiche?

Would you work for what they make in a day, no. Your nose is way to high in the air for that. Treat the menials sh#&*tie. That's a good motto.

'nuff said

~

First of all MK food substandard I like 8 better Don't like that volcano cone thing at outdoor place at Impact. the oversalted fish from the river that I wouldn't pee in much less eat what is caught in it

What does this post mean???

• Like 2

They should make "How much should i tip in Thailand" a pinned topic.

It certainly gets a certain segment of the TV regulars excited. The same people who are clueless about Thai culture and Thai language and who only seek out farang food in the supermarkets & restaurants and moan endlessly when imported booze isn't served certain days because of religious holidays, suddenly become Studious Keepers of Thai Traditions and announce that TIPPING IS NOT EXPECTED IN THAILAND. Welcome to the 21st century! You don't need to play at being Diamond Jim, but give a thought to the wait-person whose take home pay could stand a little topping up if the service was good.

If you ever watched a Thai waitress/waiter open the folder in which they brought you your check at a farang-frequented restaurant or bar as you're waddling toward the exit, you'd know a tip is very much expected. You might also want to learn at least one Thai expression that you'll hear a lot if you never leave a tip. "kee niaow:" Usually applied to people who have money, but are loath to spend it.

Of course, in small restaurants with a largely Thai clientele it is not common, just as in fast food places and low-end eateries in farang land. My Thai friend always handles the "check bin" when we eat at a restaurant and a small tip is always left.

They might say it after you're out of ear shot, but not when there's a chance you might overhear. It's more than their job is worth, they don't know if you can speak Thai or not.

With the exception of establishments asking for service charges, tipping here in Thailand should be up to the individual based on the service experienced. Nothing is written in stone, it is a flexible medium.

If I am in a bar or restaurant where I know the policy is for the tips to be shared with the staff, and I have enjoyed myself, then I normally tip more than normal.

If I am in a bar or restaurant where I have received bad service my only tip would be for them to get a job they liked.................thumbsup.gif

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the service standards when I came to Thailand. In the Thai restaurants in England I was always met with attentive, non intrusive staff with smiles on their faces. This made it a pleasure to eat at their restaurants. Now here it is rare to see a genuine smile or to receive what I would call good customer service which affects my decision to tip. The amount of times I've seen staff play fighting in front of customers or tried to get their attention, but the lakhorn took precedence over customers is unbelievable. That's why when I find genuine friendly places I like to return to them.