Hed huu nuu

Kanga Japan

Is there a difference between HED HUU NUU (เห็ดหูหนู) and HED HUU (เห็ดหู)?

HED HUU NUU is commonly called Jelly Ear Fungus, Jew's Ear Fungus, Mouse Fungus, Tree Ear Fungus, Wood Ear Fungus (Auricularia auricula Judae)

Thanks for your help.

Dear vtapspft,

Thank you for those meanings. Actually, I already knew them, so I was wondering if, because it had NUU at the end of it, it could possibly be a smaller version (because mice are small). Just an idea.

• 3 months later...

Not different types - just a shortened version of the name.

You may already have them, but เห็ดหูลัวะ (HET HU LUA*) and เห็ดหูแมว (HET HU MAEW - Cat's ear fungus) are synonyms for this mushroom. Source: http://library.cmu.ac.th/ntic/lannafood/detail_ingredient.php?id_ingredient=372

Occasionally you'll see เห็ดหูลิง (HET HU LING - monkey ear fungus), but this, I believe, is a mistake. Should be เห็ดหัวลิง (HET HUA LING - monkey head fungus). Totally different species.

And finally there's เห็ดหูนู๋ (HET HU NU) - but that's the name of a football club.

* Best to get a native speaker to confirm the pronunciation of this. It's a very odd spelling.

• Like 1

Dear AyG,

Thank you for that confirmation and also the additional words.

I will try and have the pronunciation of HET HU LUA checked.

You are correct regarding HET HUA LING. เห็ดหัวลิง is correct. It is known as Monkey Head Mushroom, Lion's Mane Mushroom or Bearded Tooth Mushroom and 'yamabushi take' 山伏茸 (mountain priest mushroom) in Japanese. Quite a weird looking mushroom. The scientific name is Hericium erinaceus

I did not have these additional words in my list.

Much appreciated.

Unfortunately, neither of the Thai corpuses (corpi?) contained the expression. However, it definitely exists, but isn't common. Google searching reveals:

"ข้าวผัดเห็ดหูค่ะ" - fried rice with ear mushrooms, kha.

"เห็ดที่กินได้ เช่น เห็ดหูนาดำ เห็ดหูนาขาว" - mushrooms that we can eat, for example, ear mushrooms in nursery field, ear mushrooms in white rice field*.

"ผัดกระหล่ําปลีเห็ดหู" - fried cabbage with ear mushroom. (The word for cabbage is misspelled.)

"เชื้อไว้ในอาหาร PDA เช่นเห็ดตีนแรด เห็ดหู." - ... for example, transplanted ear fungus, ear fungus.

*I presume that white rice field refers to where the mushrooms are planted after the nursery stage.

• Like 1

เห็ดหู is probably only used when it's clear by context exactly what kind of mushroom it is.

Since there are also other mushrooms called เห็ดหูsomething, you should just disregard เห็ดหู and write the names in full เห็ดหูหนู. Personally I have ever only used เห็ดหูหนู.

Searches for only เห็ดหู turns out many posts which in themselves are full of spelling errors, so I would question the author's abilities on this one.

• Like 1

Another informative and highly civil thread; I also have only ever heard of it as เห็ดหูหนู, and I live in the far south where they tend to do a lot of word chopping.

I think many of these tasty mushrooms could use some 'rebranding' in English though; 'ear fungus' doesn't sound very appetizing whether it be from a rat, monkey or whatever.

• Like 1