"I don't want to rent an Office" Ridiculous Business Visa Rules

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many embassies and consulate have tightened up their requirements for getting multiple entry visas.

I can confirm that at least in regards to The Netherlands. They don't issue multiple b visas anymore when having workpermit. Reason given that a visa is meant for traveling into the country for short visits, not for longterm stay. Having a workpermit allows you (at least nearly) to get an extension of stay.

The multiple-entry non-B visa s intended for an employee of a company outside Thailand who has to make several business trips to Thailand on behalf of his employer within a 12-month period.

It is also necessary for an employee of a Thai company who cannot get an extension of stay for work because his employer is a new company and cannot yet supply the necessary document evidencing tax payment for at least one fiscal year.

Hello Community,

End of 2013 I opened my Thai company and did everything by the books. I got 49% shares and was declared as the Director. Since this year I have my WP. (The two Thai partners are family members)

This is my first company in my life and to keep costs at a minimum I am doing basically everything by my self. Except for Accounting/Book keeping and handling the renew department etc..

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to avoid tax payments. They are very low anyway compared to Europe. But this is not my point.

What bothers me is that as a Director of a "Thai Co., Ltd." I can't get a decent B-Visa to legally stay in this country and do my Job. They want I rent a office, place the 4 Thai stuff member behind a desk, all in the same uniform (me too) and take pictures. What the hell is wrong with this people? I told them I won't do it due to safe my monthly costs. I can do everything by myself and working from my home is totally fine for me. When I have to travel I do travel.

So the best way for me is to go back to my home country and apply for the B-Visa which I did before many times. I get it in 20min. Very easy.

The only advantage is (I think) to get the B-Visa issued within Thailand is that you don't need to leave the country every 90 days. But since I do travel at least once a month it makes no difference for me where my B-Visa is issued.

I am just saying it is totally ridiculous that not even with the WP comes together a decent Visa. This (again) has to be taken care of separately (and of course) in the most difficult way this bureaucracy can think of.

This country has some issues. (Unfortunately) sad.png

Just my 2 cents.

/post edit

20 min. ? Really? well rules been changed.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Getting a work permit has rules.

The first rule is that yu have to have employees and be paying them at least 300 baht a day.

They want to see the actual set up for your company.

You obviously did this on your own without any legal advise.

The first thing I was told was that i had to have the money, an office, 2 paid Thai staff and an office that i worked out of and that they had desks or duties at.

The fact that you have a business that you do all the work tels me that it is not a company that is dealing with Thai's.

That will be an issue.

My suggestion is that youget thee to a shop that embroiders names and logos on some golf shirts. If nothing else it will appease the god;s and also it will not hurt for advertising.Rent a small office that will hold your staff.

have someone shoot a small video with you introducing one of your staff and then them introducing the others and stating who they are and what they do.

There are plenty of locatins that you can get a cheap office or if you are doing it out of your house then put up a shingle on the front.

OH ONE LAST THING

QUIT YOUR BATCHING AND MOANING BECAUSE YOU MISSED A DETAIL.

Be happy you caught it now and not at tax time when you will be expected to make all the necessary paymetns for your staff and show that you paid them.

You may find that you will not get a multiple entry non-b in your home country as easy as you have in the past.

Why you think that?

Setting up a home business is not easy in Thailand, but it is no different to most other companies in the world.

They are encouraging you to have an office and thai staff, to basically contribute to the country. As far as my business is concerned there was a requirement to prove that i have some local investment, assets and general capital in the company. If i recall it was 3 Thai staff for each expat and/or 3m baht in capital for each expat WP.

I know as the director, i have to travel to HK for my multiple-non B and that is only processed on receipt of a copy of all registration documents, copy of the 'Office Address, rental agreement and a map of the office location', tax ID certificate, 12 months bank statements, payroll summary for all Thai employees, etc, etc. 90% of the paperwork they hand back to me after flicking through the pages and pulling out what they wanted to keep...

There are other means however, you can find a virtual office or serviced office. For a monthly fee, they will provide you with an address, post box, telephone number and you should be able to register your tax ID at the local office nearby. If you don't actually have a room and a desk there, the costs maybe somewhere around 3000 or 4000 baht a month.

Although you need to check if the virtual office is okay for ongoing, local business and invoicing……or whether it can only be used as a sales office with no monthly invoicing and income?

Why would you really wish to set up a business in Thailand? Why not in your home country?

Or is it you think you can make a mint in the Kingdom?

The rules are there to make sure that as you make lots of money and order your Porsche - a bit is spread around to the locals.

The aim is NOT that YOU earn money, but that money flows into Thailand.

So: a company driver, a company cleaner, a company garden keeper, a company cook, a company gate-keeper, a...

Everyone having a company where all/a part of the income comes from outside of Thailand satisfies this, Thai employees or not. If not directly employed by the company, the money spent elsewhere creates additional business and hence demand for employees.

Absurd and ridiculous---YES YES YES--what about the 200 % import duty(minimum)on vehicles etc.etc.My friend has a Foundation which brings in used wheelchairs and repairs them to issue freely to needy Thai folks,and they customs still charge him heavy duties even though on paper the foundation is supposed to be exempt.THailand has so much non-sense regulations like this which are blatantly used there just to milk the Foreigners,it is nauseating really besides being ridiculous and very dis-couraging.I for one have had it up to the neck and I am looking for a better place to live if it can be found.I was looking at Costa Rica but judging by the you-tube testimonials it is much the same as Thailand.Oh yes I forgot about the ultra absurd re-entry permit.

• Like 2

shop that embroiders names and logos on some golf shirts

At least one such place on the lowesrmost level of JJ Mall Kampaeng Paet exit on MRT

They have the machine to do this and sell many inexpensive blank shirt styles. Machine may be computerized and able to do designs from your computer.

• Like 1

.......and I can tell you now, you get a visit in your office (time by time) from the Ministry of Labor and hopefully your family members are sitting behind the desk. The officer will ask as your family members what kind of job they are doing. They have to give a proper answer. If not, you come in trouble. A friend of mine had this problem too.

Obviously you didn't do very good job of researching the situation, all of this is common knowledge. Also, you do not get a "B" Visa in Thailand, you would be getting a one year extension of your permission to stay.

Yeah well you made the experience, now learn from it. I We have our Company registered in Hong Kong and a Thai Company is doing our production, which we then Export to where we need it and want it. I come here several times and discuss with the Engineer what is needed and wanted, and done in perfect order and on time. Doing Business on our own here as foreigners makes no more sense since 2001 it has getten worse and worse over the years and all related to one Guy and his Everest high Greed and foreign hatred. The new Visa crap just another useless part of action. Will check that on my next visit how that is working out, and if not then so be it. There are plenty of Countries where we do not need all that crap like in Thailand. Malaysia a good place 90 days on arrival, so are the Filipines, 21 days and then just renew it in the Country and once you have the Company set up get the residential Permit, and they are happy if we provide work for the locals and we get plenty of easing benefits from those Countries. So then why bother with the crap offered here?

• Like 2

Out of all the "educational" replies, how many actually had a business in Thailand?blink.png from post 15 down

Having a business in Thailand is a walk in the park in comparison to the West admin wise.

In the West, aside from stringent accounting, you need to have all sorts of insurances, licenses, and compliance's.

Firstly, you do not need to rent an office, what you need to do is have a sign in Thai indicating it is your office, so putting a sign on your house and having a "reception" alike room is good enough.

Labor department wants to make sure it is a real business and you are following the rules.

4 staff do not need to wear same uniform or any uniform at all, photo's they want are from the place of work,. staff and you together.in the office and outside with company name clearly showing

Labor Department does not come to check, unless someone reports you.

IF your business is that small, then best to have it all in Thai name 100% and you as an employee on salary

• Like 2

Yes A work permit that is is valid for one year should afford a one year permission to reside. All this other crap is about nickel, diming and generally harassing foreigners so border stamp/visa run bus ompanies and other agents can have a steady stream of income- off our back.

Jeez, how I regret getting involved here and how I would tell anyone considering it, DO NOT.

• Like 1

Yes A work permit that is is valid for one year should afford a one year permission to reside. All this other crap is about nickel, diming and generally harassing foreigners so border stamp/visa run bus ompanies and other agents can have a steady stream of income- off our back.

Jeez, how I regret getting involved here and how I would tell anyone considering it, DO NOT.

That's the whole point-this country does not really want foreign investment - or foreign talent taking away the elite monopolies.

That's the whole point-this country does not really want foreign investment - or foreign talent taking away the elite monopolies.

have you informed honda, toyota and nissan yet?

• Like 2

Out of all the "educational" replies, how many actually had a business in Thailand?blink.png from post 15 down

Having a business in Thailand is a walk in the park in comparison to the West admin wise.

In the West, aside from stringent accounting, you need to have all sorts of insurances, licenses, and compliance's.

Firstly, you do not need to rent an office, what you need to do is have a sign in Thai indicating it is your office, so putting a sign on your house and having a "reception" alike room is good enough.

Labor department wants to make sure it is a real business and you are following the rules.

4 staff do not need to wear same uniform or any uniform at all, photo's they want are from the place of work,. staff and you together.in the office and outside with company name clearly showing

Labor Department does not come to check, unless someone reports you.

IF your business is that small, then best to have it all in Thai name 100% and you as an employee on salary

Disagree strongly , having run a business here for almost 4 years, and in USA. In US I obtained a license in about 5 minutes I think it was 20 dollars. I thin filed my own taxes which were easy to understand - in fact all regulations were easy to understand, by law.

There was of course no need to leave the country every 90 days, in fact foreigners in US with work permits and businesses get them for years on end.

How can anyone defend Thailand's obviously flawed foreigner work system? Nickel and dime us t o death- what's this? Can't get a one year B visa without 9 months left on my WP Or is it 8 months? Who really knows?

When you aren't here for prostitutes, it really makes it difficult to excuse the BS- and they know they can get away with it, because of the foreign horn dogs that put up with any manner of flaming hoops to have that access to cheap sex.

When you live in a brothel, you're gonna get F'd

Well you are free to disagree, though do explain for me, why you have to leave every 90 days?

So you are here for cheap sex? is that the reason for running business for almost 4 years?

What regulations do you have trouble understanding?

Why do not you ask someone without US passport what they thought about having a business in US, instead of posting rubbish how easy it is for you.

And do tell what would be the procedure for someone wanting to live in US and have a tiny business which does not make enough to even support an office? Do you think that person would be given visa?