TCT: Martial law would help tourism sector in long run

webfact

TCT: Martial law would help tourism sector in long run

BANGKOK, 21 May 2014 (NNT) – The Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT) expressed belief that the invocation of martial law would benefit the country’s tourism sector in the long run.

The agency also said the martial law is expected to effectively contain the political crisis, which had escalated to a spate of violent attacks during the past months.

Over the past, the prolonged protests which lasted for over 6 months have negatively impacted tourism industry. For this reason, the TCT has revised down the number of tourist arrivals this year by 10 percent from 29.92 million to 26.84 million. The revenue is also set to shrink to 1.1 trillion baht this year.

During the first quarter of 2014, the number of tourists has dropped to 6.6 million or down 5.86 percent from the same period last year.

The agency noted that the imposition of martial law will not boost tourist arrivals in the short term and related bodies need to step up campaigns in order to attract more tourists from major markets. However, the tourism sector is set to bounce back from the crisis in the long run.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-21 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

This country doesn't 'rely' on its tourist industry!! Rice, rubber etc....

Tourism is around 6% GDP so not big but can hurt many in the industry but not much wider than that (ok, perhaps a slight snow ball effect to other areas of the economy).

• Like 1

The news today is that the rubber has gone the same way as the rice

-------------------

An article detailing the problems the rubber sector was running into was in the business news of the "other English newspaper" in Bangkok (the Bangkok Post) last week.

Same old problem basically .... government interference with the free market price and government hording rubber for dale "later" when the price gets better.

(Hint ... it won't).

Same as the rice scam when it started to "benefit" Rice farmers.

Now they want to "benefit " Rubber farmers the same way.

• Like 1

Tourism is around 6% GDP so not big but can hurt many in the industry but not much wider than that (ok, perhaps a slight snow ball effect to other areas of the economy).

6% registered . How much of the books?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't think anyone is going to take a chance in bringing their family at this moment. It is wise to consider about their family member's safety. Besides, Thailand won't go anywhere. For backpackers and night-life goers, they can take the challenge and die without worry if anything happened.

Edited by stickyrice2000

To all FARANG. Welcome to Thailand. If we see you we shout FARANG! and we are delighted to see your money, and rape you financially.

The current martial law is to HELP YOU, because we are your UNCLE and we help the world. We generate new ideas, never plagiarised from the West (That thing we have nothing to do with, and don't need - because we have never been occupied), and we are FINE thanks.

TAT 21/05/ century 1, 1554.

• Like 1

I believe 6% includes domestic tourism too. Industry & Manufacturing make up near 50% of GDP.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Only in Thailand would the Tourism sector state that invoking martial law is good from local tourism.

I agree. It's much like a vehicle going down the side of a cliff and the driver telling the passengers that it's a shortcut which will get them to their destination much quicker.

I think the Tourist industry is actually bigger than they state.

Hotels, restaurants Tuk Tuks shopping as Thai do not have enough money to keep these viable, and flow ons from here.

So despite what people state, remove tourism and Thailand collapses at the base - the people- rice makes money only for the international traders. Farmers starve.

• Like 1

The news today is that the rubber has gone the same way as the rice

-------------------

An article detailing the problems the rubber sector was running into was in the business news of the "other English newspaper" in Bangkok (the Bangkok Post) last week.

Same old problem basically .... government interference with the free market price and government hording rubber for dale "later" when the price gets better.

(Hint ... it won't).

Same as the rice scam when it started to "benefit" Rice farmers.

Now they want to "benefit " Rubber farmers the same way.

I buy Latex gloves here and export them. Thailand rubber is now DOUBLE that of nearby Malaysia. So hoarding rubber is not and will not work. OVER SUPPLY. It is now the lowest (from Malaysia) I have ever seen in 10 years

OOPS spellin errars ficksed

Edited by marcusd

----------------------

The Thai tourist sector is:

• out of date
  • overpriced
  • pitched to a older and "luxury" market
  • and increasingly going out of favor with the younger market.

That means it will inevitably decline in the future, and will not be able to compete in the "Asean" market with such places as Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia. etc.

Thailand tourism is the "old style" high price tourist business, and is going to be declining against other markets in South East Asia.

Thailand will have to learn to deal with that fact, if it can.

Out of likes BUT EXACTLY and will they learn? NO WAY they will await the next arrivals who will soon go elsewhere. CAMBODIA MYANMAR????

• Like 1

"The Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT) expressed belief that the invocation of martial law would benefit the country’s tourism sector in the long run."

Well, TCT, I express complete disbelief at such a nonsense statement.

I second that. such a stupid statement from TCT. I wonder what they were thinking to make such hypothesis public.

+3 :)

I believe 6% includes domestic tourism too. Industry & Manufacturing make up near 50% of GDP.

You cannot believe OFFICIAL figures. It is the same accounting used by Greece to join the EU. Look where that got them? And here is the same. If we all look around we can actually see TOURISM consequences each and every day. If it is really 6% I will eat one grain of rice per week for the rest of my life.

I would not trust anything from government here. I have first hand experience seeing what a crock of idiots they are and wow do they love making up figures.

Just look at the arrivals all over the place at Bangkok. 28 million down from - 22 million! How can you trust these fools?

• Like 1

Thailand will forever be Thailand. How many times have political crisis happened here? It does affect tourism, maybe just a little BUT...who gives a f@%*. People still come to Thailand. Tourism industry has been the same and amazingly increasing each year despite all this fuss.