Help with Pla Duk

Greetings
First I am brand new to raising fish and am only doing it as a hobby, no expectations of trying to make any money at it. So if I am asking silly questions please bare with me
I am tank raising Pla Nin, and started my first batch about a month ago. I just started a second batch in a separate tank and at my wife's instance I threw in a few Pla Duk. 25/75 ratio Both fish about the same size, also put about a dozen pla duk in a small tank no Pla Nin.

The Pla Nin are doing just fine but the Pla Duk are dying off, both tanks. Put these fish in on Sunday this week

All of the dead fish show the same characteristics. They change to this gray color about a day before dying off

I am surprised as everyone says Pla Duk are really easy to grow and live almost anywhere

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

post-41650-0-01207900-1400740020_thumb.j

post-41650-0-61862400-1400740128_thumb.j

post-41650-0-37635900-1400740233_thumb.j

• Like 2

I'm not the answer but I know these cat fish can live happily in inches of water, and not much room around them.

My fil does exactly that, member Dancealot has seen how he treats these fish, and they thrive.

Yours almost look like sun burn? or

Skin burning from the other fish contaminating, or maybe the water itself. What's the tank made of? Cement with to much lime will kill fish.

Can you try flushing the water with fresh water?...move them into their own tank hold?

Just throwing some ideas around for you until a guru drops by...

When I was into just home fish tanks, I always found after trial and error, just grow the fish that live easily, if a species keeps dying, forget them.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Trial and error is exactly what I am doing.

Tanks are block and cement rendered. I ran the system with no fish for 2 weeks then dumped all the water refilled, ran a week and then added fish. My first batch of fish had a pretty high die off rate, as I expected.. Once that settled down to almost zero I moved all the remaining fish into 1 tank then added the new fish into the 1st tank. No change of water.#2 tank original Pla Nin only now pretty much zero die off. New fish in tank #1 less than 1% die off for Plan Nin, problem with the Pla Duk. It's a closed system so the water is shared by both tanks. The tanks are shaded so II don't think they are getting sun burned

Going to stop by the supplier tomorrow and see what he says, should be interesting.

Regards

• Like 1

Dinger.Ask in the aquaponics part of the farming area on this forum.Sounds like an aquaponics expert may have an idea.Couple of guys on that forum really know there stuff.

Ive seen this in a fishfarm neer us in bangsaphan.Happened because too many fish in the tanks.So it is possible your fish brought this problem with them from the farm you bought them from

Good luck.

Cheers Cobbler

Sent from my SM-T315T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by cobbler

The Bla nin require better water conditions than the bla duk, so I don't think you have a water quality issue. It could be that you are having a disease problem. I have bla duk in i concrete tank like you describe. They are all doing fine.

I would suggest a water change and perhaps a little salt and some EM.

If you want the catfish expert, contact redbullhorn. He is a member here and he may have an answer for you.

Thanks for the replies, will check out the other sources mentioned.

Canuckamuck, as you said I thought the Pla Nin needed better water quality than the cats, that is what has me so confused.

Thanks Again

what bio filtration do you have ? ph of the water ? are the tanks sheltered from sunlight ? water temp ? oxygen supply ?, do u have a basic water testing kit ? if not get one and check the ammonia and nitrite levels of the water ,other wise its a guessing game .... also what are u feeding them type and size of pellets .... goodluck pm me if u need more info