Thai army chief announces military coup

webfact

I have been planning to retire to Thailand and have plans to leave in two weeks. i'd like to hear from EVERYONE their opinions on whether I should continue with my plans or go to another neighboring country for the interim.....

Concerned

Stevo

Maybe best to go start a thread in the general forum section as this is the news section ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been planning to retire to Thailand and have plans to leave in two weeks. i'd like to hear from EVERYONE their opinions on whether I should continue with my plans or go to another neighboring country for the interim.....

Concerned

Stevo

It's too soon to say Stevo - historically in Thailand coups have tended to calm down volatile situations rather than exacerbate them, hopefully this is the case this time around.

It will be more apparent in a few days - if things calm down then the restrictions on media and curfew etc will begin to be lifted.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Concerned

Stevo

It's too soon to say Stevo - historically coups have tended to calm down volatile situations, hopefully this is the case this time around.

It will be more apparent in a few days - if things calm down then the restrictions on media and curfew etc will begin to be lifted.

You'll be fine - come on over.

• Like 1

It's only just begun the baht will nose dive the economy will be in crisis the tourists will go elsewhere what a sad day for Thailand .

The Army promised not to get involved another broken promise my heart goes out to those who thought they had voted for a Government to bring stability to there country sadly were back to where we started in 2006 with the Army taking control . One step forward 10 steps back same same nothing changes !!

Have you ever though that last time they thought the could trust the PTP and Thaskin

This time they have been show they can not, so reform must be put in place to stop this happening again

Please explain to me how can a government be truely democtratic when all the people who are charged with treason become members of parliment

How can a governemt been democratic when all a criminal needs to do is be on the government benches and the law can not touch him as long as parliment is sitting

I will wait for you answers with interest

With interest I await your defence of a military coupe that only exacerbates the situation, destroys the body politic, ruins the economy, suspends electoral rights for the next year or two, imposes harsh censorship, the illegal detention of citizens and a curfew.

Whilst locking up elected representatives and creating a barrage of ( rightly deserved ) foreign criticism.

Please don't tell me Thaksin was so bad.........

• Like 1

Jonathan Head just looked upset on BBC that his Red Shirt buddies are finished. 55555555

Oh no he didn't.

You are just bragging cos u still have the beeb on the telly.

Yes he did and then Aaron Hezelhurst sung the praises of Thailand and everyone looked upset. BBC still spouting it's own brand of propaganda.

• Like 1

I doubt they will turn off the internet. Remember when some red shirts momentarily unplugged something at the 'gateway' somewhere in Klongtoey? The first thing to die was their FB'ing, Twittering, Line'ing and WhatsApp'ing that pretty much shut down their own comms network first.

But they may throttle stuff instead.

Concerned

Stevo

Check the updates of the travel advisory for Thailand of your country's government and be guided by it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's only just begun the baht will nose dive the economy will be in crisis the tourists will go elsewhere what a sad day for Thailand .
The Army promised not to get involved another broken promise my heart goes out to those who thought they had voted for a Government to bring stability to there country sadly were back to where we started in 2006 with the Army taking control . One step forward 10 steps back same same nothing changes !!

Have you ever though that last time they thought the could trust the PTP and Thaskin

This time they have been show they can not, so reform must be put in place to stop this happening again

Please explain to me how can a government be truely democtratic when all the people who are charged with treason become members of parliment

How can a governemt been democratic when all a criminal needs to do is be on the government benches and the law can not touch him as long as parliment is sitting

I will wait for you answers with interest

With interest I await your defence of a military coupe that only exacerbates the situation, destroys the body politic, ruins the economy, suspends electoral rights for the next year or two, imposes harsh censorship, the illegal detention of citizens and a curfew.

Whilst locking up elected representatives and creating a barrage of ( rightly deserved ) foreign criticism.

Please don't tell me Thaksin was so bad.........

Funny - sounded like you were describing Thaksin and PTP for a moment :) Lighten up Phil, you'll live longer. Have a beer and relax.

• Like 1

Jonathan Head just looked upset on BBC that his Red Shirt buddies are finished. 55555555

Oh no he didn't.

Yes he did and then Aaron Hezelhurst sung the praises of Thailand and everyone looked upset. BBC still spouting it's own brand of propaganda.

Aaron sung what now? Who is 'everyone'... You been on the pish or what?

"Niwattumrong is in the American Embassy"

"Talking of a government in exile via the American Embassy"

This could get ugly. Either Kristie, Obama, etc. will denounce the coup along predictable lines (we know what's best for democracy so do what we say, etc.) or they might actually get involved in trying to restore Shin-puppet rule and allow Thaksin robot Niwattumrong to hide in the embassy, which would be a very big mistake.

Kinney has denied reports.

There's a good chance the US won't use the C word.

Edited by Piichai

Oh no he didn't.

Aaron sung what now? Who is 'everyone'... You been on the pish or what?

Now BBC are interviewing Yingluck's legal advisor Verapat says does doesn't know or want to know where Yingluck is. 55555555555555555

Chalerm and son arrested.

Made my day!

Wouldn't be one bit surprised if that coward starts "singing" if he thinks it'll help him.

Just keep his Precious away from him, and he'll sing like an opera star.

There goes the US military funding clap2.gif

I doubt that very much, there are much bigger strategic issues at stake and the thai military has been good the the US. In this region, China is no democracy, nor is vietnam, Laos, Burma, as long as Thailand has a strong military force it will always be nurtured by the US whatever the public statements.

Somewhat true but there are other circumstances

Yes the US will have a military here they can work with as historically they have &

will in the future for sure. That is not a given it will be "this" military

Face is not just a Thai thing. USA just yesterday released a statement they were assured by Thai military of no coup!

Yet today?

They now know what they have on the ground here as it stands

But that should fit right inwith the American govenemtn approach to everything.

You can keep your policy.

We look after the Vets.

Benghazi was about a video that we had nothing todo with.

LOL

Sorry for off topic but could not resist.

Internet will not be disconnected, only possibe website block, but even the government must use internet, so all you keyboard people out there, no worries

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Niwattumrong is in the American Embassy"

"Talking of a government in exile via the American Embassy"

This could get ugly. Either Kristie, Obama, etc. will denounce the coup along predictable lines (we know what's best for democracy so do what we say, etc.) or they might actually get involved in trying to restore Shin-puppet rule and allow Thaksin robot Niwattumrong to hide in the embassy, which would be a very big mistake.

Kinney has denied reports.

There's a good chance the US won't use the C word.

Unfortunately all my "Likes" are used-up for today ;-)