night time curfew throughout Thailand from 10 PM until 5 AM

Asiantravel

At a little past 11:30pm May 23, 2014 on Pattaya beach we were just walking past the Pattaya beach police station when three military trucks suddenly stopped in front of the police station and 20 military men in camo jumped out fully armed with automatic wepons to capture control of the police station. I made a short video of it with my phone and published them and some photos on my website <link removed>. Also we checked out Walking Street at 12:00am and there was no one there!! Never in the 12 years I've lived here in Pattaya have I not seen someone on Walking Street 24 hours a day 365 days a year. And worse yet the 7/11's all closed at 9:00pm. Now that's the last straw!! Can't wait to see what happens next.

'Will be potentially confusing to readers a day or two from now. You mean May 22, 2014, the 1st day of the coup & curfew. Today, Fri the 23rd is the 2nd day. Be interesting to know how things go down tonight. Are bars & gogos really opening earlier?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a little past 11:30pm May 23, 2014 on Pattaya beach we were just walking past the Pattaya beach police station when three military trucks suddenly stopped in front of the police station and 20 military men in camo jumped out fully armed with automatic wepons to capture control of the police station. I made a short video of it with my phone and published them and some photos on my website <link removed> . Also we checked out Walking Street at 12:00am and there was no one there!! Never in the 12 years I've lived here in Pattaya have I not seen someone on Walking Street 24 hours a day 365 days a year. And worse yet the 7/11's all closed at 9:00pm. Now that's the last straw!! Can't wait to see what happens next.

'Will be potentially confusing to readers a day or two from now. You mean May 22, 2014, the 1st day of the coup & curfew. Today, Fri the 23rd is the 2nd day. Be interesting to know how things go down tonight. Are bars & gogos really opening earlier?

I am reliably informed by an associate that 'all bar' will be open in Patts from 10am to 10pm - I'd suggest that anyone who cant get their fill in 12 hours probably has bigger problems than the military coup. If anything, this could spell salvation for those folk.

one post removed discussing the politics behind the coup. This thread is only about the curfew situation in Pattaya and not for political speculations.

Also I removed a link to a private blog that may or may not be in conflict with the present internet censorship. Better safe than sorry!

It's closed so no soup for you !!

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

really?! any 7/11 open then or a Tesco/Lotus in the area that I can go to?

Feels like I'm gonna crave to the death, or to 5AM

They're obviously all closed as this is a nationwide curfew. Why would they be open if people aren't allowed to travel?

They really do know how to <deleted> up thier tourist industry

I would say tourists are not a big concern for them right now. I know we like to feel important, but there are more important matters for them to concern themselves with - like putting a working government in place.

But really, I didn't see much damage to the tourist industry after the 2006 coup, long airport closure and several riots in Bangkok. It will survive this unscathed. They always seem to return in bigger numbers after every "calamity".

Shutting tousist venues is no big deal, unless your a tourist. You have just spent Hundreds if not thousands on your holiday and you dont expect to end up in a country with either martial law or a military coup. So you go home and tell your friends dont bother to go to that ****ed up place. Its a waste of money.

Back during the airport shutdown it was a big problem for people that had planned vacations. many people are on very tight work and vacation schedules. They plan a year in advance, save their money, get work squared away and then travel. The kids are out of school, pets are boarded somewhere, etc. Those are people the Thai tourism authority calls "Good tourists". Never mind those definitions, it was a big blow to the industry. Made some decent comebacks, but things like martial law, police, curfew, etc. are not encouragements. heck, I cut short one of my holidays a few years ago during the Bangkok riots. Pattaya had a curfew for a few nights and I didn't feel like dealing with it so I left

If Walking St is empty, so be it - the Pattaya I saw last night was a long way from a ghost town and it was the first time I noticed how many 20-something Farang women there are in Pattaya atm. Saw zero military or cops and no-one seemed overly concerned about the events in BKK - one 'insider' claimed that the curfew ends on Sunday night but that seems like wishful thinking.

Gotta love the speed with which alarmist claptrap races to fill a vacuum - might be time to rein some of it in and start thinking about the bigger picture. Whether you accept that the military genuinely have Thailand's best interests at heart or not - and I'm as skeptical as the next man - I think many of us saw this brewing. I know that many of the longtimers are blase about the coup cycle in Thaland - hopefully that apathy will be justified in this case.

Those who are posting stuff like 'the Thais look really scared' need to ask themselves how they would react if armed men took control of their government (albeit armed men with some constitutional authority) ? The Thai people have had to endure numerous military coups over the last 30 or so years, but the assumption that they know what will happen next seems like an awfully long bow for mine - the political future of an entire country rests in the balance and we are upset because it might impact on our nocturnal activities ? A little perspective may be in order folks - just my two bahts worth,

Like most TVers currently entrenched in Thailand, I'm hoping for cool heads from the general population over the coming weeks, and that wont be helped by spreading FUD. Apologies if I seem to be taking this a little more seriously than you feel is necessary, but I doubt that any of us want to see the situation in Bangkok escalate.

Peace out, MrWW

Well versed and spot on, <snip>

Peace

Edited by raro
a spin on another member edited out.

For all the bravado shown by some about ignoring the curfew, there were some foreigners in Soi 9 cells who were in fact detained for being out drinking past the curfew hours. Just a heads up.

Edited by petercool

The last two nights i have been roaming around pattaya until 1am. I have not seen any police or military on the streets. Plenty of people in beer bars though. Last night it seems many 7-11 were even staying open but keeping most of the lights off.

Which bars were open at 1am?, we all want to join the party. Maybe some pictures while you are doing your roaming

Edited by bartender100

LK Metro was packed this afternoon. Go-gos that normally open in the evening--most of the 15 or so--opened early, and most of them were doing good business, too. Lots of hot women everywhere. Pretty amazing. I like this better!

• Like 1

Last night I went out at 11:00pm May 24, 2014 around Pattaya central just to see if I could get some peanuts at the 7/11 store but found both the 7/11 and Family Marts near my apartment were all still closed. As I walked the block of Soi 13 to soi 12 I did note that some of the bars were dark and quiet but still had a small number people in them and they were still serving beer much like they do when we have other dry religious holidays here. I didn't see any police or military personnel any where in site on my short walk. My satellite TV service has also begun to open at least for HBO and all the movie channels and others, but most the news channels like CNN, BBC, CNBC, BMBG are still all disabled on my True satellite service here in Pattaya.

Saturday, AGoGo Soi Buakao had sign OPEN from 1 pm. AGoGo beach road (Worldwide?) soi 7-8 opened earlier than normal.

Bars on Beach road Soi 8 had all their staff coming early, and many, many happy customers at 4 pm.

Coconut bar had many coconuts out working much earlier than normal, thanks to overcast yesterday.

Pattaya tourists have adjusted quickly drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif many found a new friend much earlier than normal.

Anyone received mail the past few days? I assume the post office is still going about its business??

I received a letter from the UK yesterday, so Thai post appear still to be operating as normal.

I'm located in East Pattaya.

Edited by dabhand
  • Like 1

Central Festival closed up at 20:00 (Sunday, the 25th), which I took as a sign the 10-5 curfew was still on. However, it's going on 22:30 and there's still traffic flow on 2nd Road - including baht busses, motos, taxis, & private vehicles. The 2nd Rd Night Bazaar is dark, but the bar beers next to it are still lit up and the live music still going full volume. Looking south along 2nd Rd, it appears some things are dark and some not. 'Haven't been to Walking Street, but the Pattaya sign is still lit up and from here it looks like at least some of the WS neon is lit up as well. Not saying there couldn't come a crackdown, but it looks to me like nighttime businesses are sticking their toes in the water and venturing into a relaxed observance...