Thai military coup draws international censure

webfact

When will the US and the UK finally realise that they cannot dictate to ther countries. Look around the globe at some of the most f' upped countries and there are US and/or UK footprints all over them....and that goes waaay back through the history and legacy of the British Empire all the way right up to the Middle East/Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan.

Let Thailand find its own way, making mistakes or positive steps as the case maybe, but at least according to their own way, not what the US and the UK perceive to be "right".

You do realise how diplomacy and foreign relations work right ?

You dont deal or have close relations with a country that dosnt share your values of human rights or worse break them ... you dont have close ties with a nation that dosnt hold the same values or morals... you dont do trade with someone who you dont share basic principles with... you dont provide military support or partnership for the same reasons.. if a principle isnt shared then youd expect your partner to tell you.. youd also not expect to take all the good stuff like trade and export when you dont hold the same basic required .

You do if they have oil. Check out some of the Middle East countries starting with Saudi Arabia.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least lil' old Thai Visa is still cranking away.

Here's how the army brass appear to think:

>>> Suspend the Constitution. Why? We're not sure, but that's what every other coup does, so we reckon that's what's got to be done in a coup.

>>> Arrest people. Why? We're not sure, but we've got more firepower than they have, so we do what we want.

It's called power my friend... The General is leaving absolutely no doubt in the minds of all affected players as to who is really in control. If you're going to do something... Do it right!

This is Thailand.

The General is not "really in control", he did not act alone - there are hands offstage pulling his strings, telling him what to do, how to do it, when to do it.

The General is merely the visible face, and if things turn bad, he will be expendable. He is a loyal soldier from the North East, and has agreed to make this sacrifice. As it is, he has accepted that he will never travel to the US nor Europe during his future retirement, and he will be a marked man for years.

Having said that, I am surprised that he agreed to round up YL and her cabinet (and some non MPs) .... but not the Monk and other PDRC rabble-rousers. This will inflame one side. He should have treated both sides equally.

Does Prayut read TVF?

The Army has announced a list of 100 names to report to the Military - these are people from all sides.

I hope I will not see my name on a future list .... otherwise I will have to call in a drone .... or Jack

>>> Suspend the Constitution. Why? We're not sure, but that's what every other coup does, so we reckon that's what's got to be done in a coup.

>>> Arrest people. Why? We're not sure, but we've got more firepower than they have, so we do what we want.

It's called power my friend... The General is leaving absolutely no doubt in the minds of all affected players as to who is really in control. If you're going to do something... Do it right!

This is Thailand.

The General is not "really in control", he did not act alone - there are hands offstage pulling his strings, telling him what to do, how to do it, when to do it.

The General is merely the visible face, and if things turn bad, he will be expendable. He is a loyal soldier from the North East, and has agreed to make this sacrifice. As it is, he has accepted that he will never travel to the US nor Europe during his future retirement, and he will be a marked man for years.

Having said that, I am surprised that he agreed to round up YL and her cabinet (and some non MPs) .... but not the Monk and other PDRC rabble-rousers. This will inflame one side. He should have treated both sides equally.

They have arrested Suthep and other PDRC people - you need to understand the law concerning monks in Thailand!

This is Thailand.

Ask Yingluck yourself if she should happen to show up at 10am who is actually in control. Twenty-five minutes to go...

When will the US and the UK finally realise that they cannot dictate to ther countries. Look around the globe at some of the most f' upped countries and there are US and/or UK footprints all over them....and that goes waaay back through the history and legacy of the British Empire all the way right up to the Middle East/Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan.

Let Thailand find its own way, making mistakes or positive steps as the case maybe, but at least according to their own way, not what the US and the UK perceive to be "right".

You do realise how diplomacy and foreign relations work right ?

You dont deal or have close relations with a country that dosnt share your values of human rights or worse break them ... you dont have close ties with a nation that dosnt hold the same values or morals... you dont do trade with someone who you dont share basic principles with... you dont provide military support or partnership for the same reasons.. if a principle isnt shared then youd expect your partner to tell you.. youd also not expect to take all the good stuff like trade and export when you dont hold the same basic required principles.

Moan as much as you like but basic foreign relations are based on basic upholding of rights and principles or what someone needs, no one needs rice in the west .. when they fail so does that relationship and it is the duty of that other partner to remind in this case Thailand what principles it agreed to in the first place to be recognised.

Oh dear, oh dear. First sentence Oak, clearly you do NOT understand.

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.

Winston Churchill

Let's not start on the US/UK supported dictatorships of the past and the millions that suffered as a result, or is this your version of foreign relations at work?

yes its telling others to go to hell... or that you dont approve...for many reasons... .. we are not living in 1945 btw any longer... look i couldnt give a fig who the UK tell or not to do this or that... i just get irritated when people expect to do business with a nation or organisation and have concessions and benefits and yet tell them to mind their own business on everything else.. there are some things (signed up to at the UN ) etc etc principles if you will.. when a nation breaks that they do and would expect a rebuke.... yknow common sense and stuff... this is something already taken was going to happen anyway by any thai think tank... if they have them.

yeesh

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

I am proud to be British, I have fought for my country and gave 23 years of my life in service to my country and then I left (Blair did it for me).

Rob your post is bang on, correct in every word, and I applaud you.

The US inspired, UK lapdog supported version of global democracy will lead to goodness knows where. I ran away to Thailand to get away from all of that, I pray the General deals with the so called allies robustly and shows them the door if they rather go home.

Yes, let's see them show the US, UK the door. I would really like to see that. The Japanese, too. Along with the vast majority of the progress Thailand has made in the last couple hundred years. Would love to see the ramifications of that. And, then you continuing to live in Thailand (away from those nanny states) while it devolves into economic and violent social chaos. See if you stay when muggings and murders skyrocket. And, see if your wonderful Thais regard you as one of their own and protect you or if they turn on you despite your devotion to them.

This is pure comedy

• Like 1

Yet another army run government, the last one was rubbish and caused much more damage than good and now they want to try again. Prem and his cronies have only one agenda on the books, to rid Thailand of anyone they disapprove of. Surely the world sees that this is the case hence the valid censure. Coups have never achieved anything positive for Thailand, they only make a bad situation worse, and this coup will in the end achieve nothing. Just a temporary lull in the political squabbles and then it will all start again. The Thailand malaise of corruption is too deeply ingrained to be ever eradicated, Thailand is also too tribal as well.

• Like 1

I agree in part but your generally way of kilter. Regards UK and Empire, some of the most successful countries in the world are a result of that, such as US, Canada, Oz, NZ, India, Singapore, Malaysia etc etc along with numerous others that are at peace and doing well. Some of the other countries, like certain Middle Eastern and African nations, would be 'f' upped' up regardless and the state of some of them smacks more about the people, religion, culture and such.

And, by the way, the UK has not condemned this coup, though the US and France basically have. Learn to read, lose the chip!!

• Like 1

Did I read correctly, Chalerm was detained by the military ?

BUT, BUT do they know who he is ?

They will let him go soon, they wont be able to afford the ear medicine

They will need some of the genuine type to relieve pain from all the talking he'll do.

Unbelievable; the EU must think they are the policemen of the world.

Europeans should be VERY ashamed; how dare they meddle in Thailand's affairs.

These are the same euro trash fools that gave us Hitler, Churchill, Stalin etc and now they are sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

EUROPE- !!!!!! No one cares what you or your corrupt imperialist, capitalist group of criminals and thugs think!!!!!

Edited by Eliot Rosewater
  • Like 1

There is a lot more to come. A LOT MORE. No one knows why this General who has shown restraint thus far and had the country already under his control with the Military Martial Law needed to do this. Why now capture all ministers and politicians? I have been doing a little research and the last coup did not have a full lock down of the country. It did not cut TV stations. Movement was not restricted.There is more to come folks... watch this space!

Much more, very different to 2006.

Unbelievable; the EU must think they are the policemen of the world.

Europeans should be VERY ashamed; how dare they meddle in Thailand's affairs.

These are the same euro trash fools that gave us Hitler, Churchill, Stalin etc and now they are sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

EUROPE- !!!!!! No one cares what you or your corrupt imperialist, capitalist group of criminals and thugs think!!!!!

Sure. The mai pen rai and ignorance fit better here.

Corrupt and criminal European and the poor, innocent Thais. What a load of crap you say.

There is a lot more to come. A LOT MORE. No one knows why this General who has shown restraint thus far and had the country already under his control with the Military Martial Law needed to do this. Why now capture all ministers and politicians? I have been doing a little research and the last coup did not have a full lock down of the country. It did not cut TV stations. Movement was not restricted.There is more to come folks... watch this space!

Thanks but no thanks. No-one needs to take any notice of your amateur scaremongering.

OK, how about the French or the Germans who have individually expressed their condemnation, Japan likewise, and collectively, the EU and the UN?

Who cares what farang media say.

They don't understand Thai problems.

Besides, all foreign media are block in Thailand anyway.

I hope the army will politely ask the farang media to stop reporting live from Thailand. Any news tapes can be mailed out, but must be censored and obtain the necessary news export approval from army first.

555 mailed out, im watching live bbc now online with live reports from bkk... you never heard of skype?

Edited by kmj

whistling.gif Why anyone would believe one word that the governments of the U.S., the U.K. France, Germany, the EU, the U.N. and so on would say anyhow is beyond me.

Politicians have no problem with military governments and coups, just as long as their countries business interests are not hindered by that government.

Anyone who doesn't understand this fact is a fool who doesn't understand the reality of "international politics".

It is all for show, and means nothing as long as it doesn't interfere with the continued flow of money and "investments" (meaning profits) in and out of the country.

Grow up, nothing is important to "international governments and their friendly relations with allied governments" except " a stable business environment".

Morals have absolutely nothing to do with it, just profits and the "bottom line".

• Like 1

The OP contains speculation about the monarchy, violating forum rules and toying with lese majeste violations. (Paragraphs #12 and #13).

Pretty risky stuff.

No it doesn't, and paragraph 13 makes no reference whatsoever to the Monarchy only "royalist elite" which does not mean the Monarchy.

Slightly off topic but interesting. How the media tell us.

I use a site on the net called "zite" it gathers news items published around the world from newspapers,radio, Tv, blogs etc. you nominate your preferred topic and Zite then gives you the latest news re that topic.

One topic in my selection is Thailand. I can see the latest news, developments from numerous sources around the world on Thailand. Today I opened it and the first item is about a confrontation between the Army and the Red shirts, where 21 were killed. Photos shown of the the soldiers, RedShirts, and the messon the roads.

I was shocked as nowhere else had I seen this "battle" and heard of deaths of protesters. Any one reading this would think Thailand had really gone down the gurgler. Then looked and saw the news item was up dated "April 13 2010" and the paper was The Daily Mail from England. Honest reporting!!!!!

BAYBOY.

Since US and other countries that opposed to the coup are not important, I dare Thailand to respond back ending all ties with them. It's very simple.

It's not that simple, it's only you trying to simply twist reports. No country has threatened to end all ties with Thailand so there is nothing for Thailand to respond to.

The OP contains speculation about the monarchy, violating forum rules and toying with lese majeste violations. (Paragraphs #12 and #13).

Pretty risky stuff.

No it doesn't, and paragraph 13 makes no reference whatsoever to the Monarchy only "royalist elite" which does not mean the Monarchy.

Fail.

OK, how about the French or the Germans who have individually expressed their condemnation, Japan likewise, and collectively, the EU and the UN?

--------------------------

Public masturbation by political hacks in those countries. .

Meaningless as are all such political pronouncements.

Simply made for "public relations" purposes in their own countries.