Sending Money To Thailand

When I was in LOS I had opened a basic (savings?) bank account with an ATM card.

Bank transfers into this account (from France and UK) were pretty quick (3 days max)

and economical versus other methods.

Obviuosly you would have to leave the ATM card and code with the missus.

:o

You can transfer money instantly with "Western Union".

Depending on how fast you need it!

IMO, Western Union is ridiculously expensive, so wouldn't bother.

Have your GF open a saving account with one of the Thai International Banks, preferably one which has a branch in near your hometown.

When she needs money, wire transfer from your bank to the Thai Bank branch in your area. They will in turn trasfer the money to her bank in Thailand.

The charges are reasonable and it takes about 1 week to complete the transfer.

Edited by OZONE

where are you from & where is the money coming in from?

If the UK, open a nationwide flex account. free cash withdrawals from overseas. best way I have found to get money to los quick as it is instant from the moment the account is credited.

Not sure where you live but we send money to our daughter ( working in thailand) each month and some to my wife's mother( sitting doing nothing) from our bank here in Los Angeles. It cost us $40 for each wire. We have a Charles Schwab account and from what I have read once set up all we need to do it fax our request in for a wire transfer...cost $25...last time i checked...

I spend six months of the year with my Thai wife in Thailand and six months of the year in 'the dunes'. Which is the best way to transfer money to Thailand at short notice?

I am guessing from your name and post you are a pom who works 6 months of the year in one of the arab states, and 6 months in Thailand. You do not say where the money is kept, and where it needs to get to in Thailand.

If the cash is in a "western" bank and you want to keep it seperate from the Thai household account setup a simple savings account with ATM access at the same bank. Give the card to the wife and use internet transfer to top it up as needed. This is quick and relatively inexpensive.

If you are some place with bunch of folding cash and you need to get that to your wife, then be prepared to pay for the honour of using Western Union or one of the banks to do a TT.

1. For one time emergency type use Western Union is worthwhile. Not for ongoing requirements.

2. Western bank account, atm card in Thailand for low level transfers at frequent intervals. Immediate access at most atm machines of whatever you have put into account. Good exchange rate but fee varies greatly at western bank end.

3. Western bank wire transfer to Thai bank for infrequent large transfers (from US bank it is normally complete in less than 24 hours). High fee but very good exchange rate. This is also the method preferred by immigration for visa extension of stay.