International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

Just read a blunt Financial Times leader of yesterday which spells it out. (You know, the FT - that wild eyed, ignorant, irresponsible newspaper prone to promoting chaos and criminality. Who anywhere in the world would take any notice its leaders?)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/804d7ebc-e59f-11e3-a7f5-00144feabdc0.html#axzz330vg34dh

Nothing personal, but I really dislike to get a pointer to an article and then need to register first before I can even see some of it.

Well I clicked on the link (and I did so again just now) and I got the article. Maybe I registered a long time ago - but I certainly am not paying anything. (If you want to read more nitty-gritty reporting of the situation try this week's Economist online.)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes the international community are very concerned. The Myanmmar Journalists Network and the Myanmmar Journalists Association have issued statements calling for the release of journalists detained by the army and to practice freedom of the press

That should tell even you something.

Reuters: Most Thais support military coup

I think Reuters trumps the Myanmmar Journalists Network and the Myanmmar Journalists Association

After having Andrew MacGregor Marshall as Bangkok bureau head they have a lot of catch up to do with the Generals if they are to stay in the Kingdom.

I can only assume you are not suggesting Reuters will let that influence their reporting?

Arisman, storming the ASEAN venue in 2009, talking about burning things in 2010, fleeing to Cambodia, saying he wouldn't feel safe with the previous government, set conditions to come back.

It would seem both Ms. Thida and Dr. weng are also still detained with tomorrow their seventh day.

Anyway the international community is very concerned some have it. Personally I don't mind doing without shoutcasts from UDD leaders.

Yes the international community are very concerned. The Myanmmar Journalists Network and the Myanmmar Journalists Association have issued statements calling for the release of journalists detained by the army and to practice freedom of the press

That should tell even you something.

I think Reuters trumps the Myanmmar Journalists Network and the Myanmmar Journalists Association

Would you like to provide a link to the actual Reuters article that has that headline as opposed to the report that Reuters had said that. I used the search engine on the Reuters site - Nothing.

I can't find any reference to any Reuters article claiming that "Most Thais support coup", only the National News Bureau of Thailand article claiming that.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNPOL5705290010006

Perhaps you can help me, you must have seen it to post it here, surely whistling.gif - might lend some credence to your claim....................

Edited by fab4

Just read a blunt Financial Times leader of yesterday which spells it out. (You know, the FT - that wild eyed, ignorant, irresponsible newspaper prone to promoting chaos and criminality. Who anywhere in the world would take any notice its leaders?)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/804d7ebc-e59f-11e3-a7f5-00144feabdc0.html#axzz330vg34dh

Nothing personal, but I really dislike to get a pointer to an article and then need to register first before I can even see some of it.

Well I clicked on the link (and I did so again just now) and I got the article. Maybe I registered a long time ago - but I certainly am not paying anything. (If you want to read more nitty-gritty reporting of the situation try this week's Economist online.)

Thanks, found an Economist article from the 25th. Full of 'jackboots', 'political hostages' and some remarks which may make posting a link here against temporary rules.

Anyway, by now most of those 'political' hostages have been let go, most non-political chaps are freed. The National Budget for 2014/2015 takes form and contents. Time for people to start of talking about reforms rather than simply condemning the coup and asking for elections.

Perhaps you could post the relevant rules about rumour mongering - it's a popular technique for certain posters.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't try and use me as a subject of your confrontational posts particularly in light of overwhelming evidence to the contrary

You probably just missed it., but some topics have this as post #2

"For the time being we will have a zero tolerance policy towards:

- Abusive behaviour towards others.

- Rumour mongering, speculation, or other inflammatory posts.

- Political lobbying or propaganda of any kind.

- Abusing the report system.

Posts in violation will be deleted without comment and posting rights removed."

Also a pinned topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727616-zero-tolerance-for-disruptive-behaviour-during-the-present-crisis/

Obviously went over your head, rubl.

Would you like to provide a link to the actual Reuters article that has that headline as opposed to the report that Reuters had said that. I used the search engine on the Reuters site - Nothing.

I can't find any reference to any Reuters article claiming that "Most Thais support coup", only the National News Bureau of Thailand article claiming that.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNPOL5705290010006

Perhaps you can help me, you must have seen it to post it here, surely whistling.gif - might lend some credence to your claim....................

Don't lots of News Agencies report articles from other sources while acknowledging the origin?

What you seem to look for is an 'editorial', the interpretation of a sourced article.

Thanks, found an Economist article from the 25th. Full of 'jackboots', 'political hostages' and some remarks which may make posting a link here against temporary rules.

Anyway, by now most of those 'political' hostages have been let go, most non-political chaps are freed. The National Budget for 2014/2015 takes form and contents. Time for people to start of talking about reforms rather than simply condemning the coup and asking for elections.

Any comments on the blocking of the Human Rights Watch (Thailand) website, rubl? Was that one of the "reforms" you want to talk about? Or the journalists still being held?

No, according to rubl, it's time for people to stop condemning the coup and asking for elections...............................

• Like 1

Any comments on the blocking of the Human Rights Watch (Thailand) website, rubl? Was that one of the "reforms" you want to talk about? Or the journalists still being held?

No, according to rubl, it's time for people to stop condemning the coup and asking for elections...............................

Didn't notice the HRW website was blocked, but then it's not on my list of sites to visit daily.

Your continuous negative comments are a prime example of the bickering of the last seven months here in Thailand. THat's one of the reasons why lots of people in Thailand are happy with the Army having stepped in. For most people live can slowly go on as usual.

Now before people get too used to it, we need to start talking about reforms, give them shape, get more and more people involved, etc., etc. Then we can have a referendum and election. Come back next year to see it happen.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nothing at all - you really don't get it do you. Facebook has been blocked now as well.

Well let's play your game of demanding proof.

Various reports seem to indicate the fb was down for 30 mnutes, was not blocked, and the NCPO has stated that it was not involved.

Yeah. I also don't know where he got that information from because FB was never blocked according to the info I have read.

maybe Fab4 is a rumormonger?

Perhaps you could post the relevant rules about rumour mongering - it's a popular technique for certain posters.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't try and use me as a subject of your confrontational posts particularly in light of overwhelming evidence to the contrary

Simple response - you invite all that comes to you.

• Like 1

Here comes another country disagreeing the coup. It's not just US, UN and UK.

Anyone with some common sense disagree with the coup, sure anyone involved in any economic interest.

I do believe most Tv Suthep and Army coup supporters are retired !

Common sense and "economic interest" ( assuming you are talking about those farangs with business interests in LOS ) does not go together. IMO given all the corruption and the well known history of political instability in LOS, anyone putting more money into LOS than they can afford to walk away from has no "common sense".

What has being retired got to do with anything?

Didn't notice the HRW website was blocked, but then it's not on my list of sites to visit daily.

You shouldn't respond to flabby's post for a day because perhaps he'll retract his statement later on, the same as he tried to pass off his jumping the gun with facebook.

• Like 2

Been another dissasterous day for them. Shortest honeymoon period on record.

I dunno, top man gets the all clear by the top man, farmers getting paid, terrorists located in Trat, etc etc... seem to be doing ok to me. Meanwhile, the West still don't really know what's going on but bleat the same old dross.

I've said this before but you won't get western democracies supporting a coup as they aren't democratic. Coups are never good and democracy is the way to go. However the democratically elected government which despite all the claims was accepted by the Democrats seems to have been unable to work within that framework and seems to have been controlled to a great extent by someone who wasn't elected. Without that they would most likely still be in power now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Egypt, and Ukraine ring any bells

"

...soldiers armed with assault rifles and wearing helmets, green camouflage uniforms and bullet-proof vests have positioned themselves inside the editorial offices of the local Nation newspaper and other media, insisting they can control the flow of published information.

"

From Asia Sentinel today.

• Like 1

Don't lots of News Agencies report articles from other sources while acknowledging the origin?

What you seem to look for is an 'editorial', the interpretation of a sourced article.

No, I said what I was looking for, it's not hard to understand - I did not mention an editorial, I'm not looking for an editorial, I want to see the original Reuters article headlined "Most Thais support the coup", how hard can that be - if it exists.

• Like 2

MILITARY JUNTA
EU calls on junta to exercise restraint or lose support

BRUSSELS: -- European Union's supports to Thailand will depend on early and credible roadmap to restore the constitutional rule and elections.

"Only an early and credible roadmap for a return to constitutional rule and elections will allow for EU’s continuous support," read the statement issued on May 28.

The EU has expressed extreme concern on the current political development in Thailand and called for Thailand to urgently restore the legitimate democratic process and the constitution, through credible and inclusive elections.

In its statement, the EU also urged the military leadership to free all those who have been detained for political reasons in recent days and to remove censorship.

"We call on all parties to exercise the utmost restraint. Respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms must be upheld. Respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms must be upheld.

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k-Kc5cy-DD.
-- The Nation 2014-05-29

You really don't like news sources that disagree with your preconceived notions, do you? I could point out that the Economist is one of the most respected and widely read news sources in the English language, and that days after the 2006 coup they accurately predicted the next seven years and eight months of events in Thailand, but I'm sure you wouldn't like that as well.

"most non-political chaps are freed." Right, we don't want people with political views running around loose.

Why should people talk about reforms? The military will decide what they will be. What are the chances these reforms will include things like transparency in government spending, all elected officials, civil servants and military officers with spending responsibility publicly declaring all assets and sources of income, people with conflicts of interest being barred from positions with spending responsibility, competitive bidding on all contracts, relaxing libel laws so reporters can report verifiable facts without fear of legal problems, etc.? These would be great corruption fighting reforms, do you think we'll see them?.

• Like 2

No, I said what I was looking for, it's not hard to understand - I did not mention an editorial, I'm not looking for an editorial, I want to see the original Reuters article headlined "Most Thais support the coup", how hard can that be - if it exists.

Sounds like this little man needs some sleep. He is stamping his feet and holding his breath now. For God's sake, will someone send him the link to the Reuters article. Talk about a spoilt brat ! whistling.gif

You like tangible news, I know. Well, maybe tomorrow on the Reuters site.

Maybe this will help to pass the time

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/28/us-thailand-politics-coup-supporters-idUSKBN0E80J520140528

You shouldn't respond to flabby's post for a day because perhaps he'll retract his statement later on, the same as he tried to pass off his jumping the gun with facebook.

Look, I understand this tag team response of posting confrontational posts to goad me into getting a warning from the mods, but after djjamies provocative efforts and "helpful" reminders about the new zero tolerance approach on here these past few days I won't fall for that again.

So let's analyse your post shall we. I posted a remark that Facebook was not available, which it wasn't at that time. After that somebody posted that it was working again. I agreed and mentioned that the NCPO had said that the 30 odd minute Facebook downtime was down to a glitch.

Do you really feel that warrants you posting this

"You shouldn't respond to flabby's post for a day because perhaps he'll retract his statement later on, the same as he tried to pass off his jumping the gun with facebook." ??

Nothing better to post about?

• Like 1

You really don't like news sources that disagree with your preconceived notions, do you? I could point out that the Economist is one of the most respected and widely read news sources in the English language, and that days after the 2006 coup they accurately predicted the next seven years and eight months of events in Thailand, but I'm sure you wouldn't like that as well.

"most non-political chaps are freed." Right, we don't want people with political views running around loose.

Why should people talk about reforms? The military will decide what they will be. What are the chances these reforms will include things like transparency in government spending, all elected officials, civil servants and military officers with spending responsibility publicly declaring all assets and sources of income, people with conflicts of interest being barred from positions with spending responsibility, competitive bidding on all contracts, relaxing libel laws so reporters can report verifiable facts without fear of legal problems, etc.? These would be great corruption fighting reforms, do you think we'll see them?.

........................"These would be great corruption fighting reforms, do you think we'll see them?"......................

You list some good ideas regarding reforms, let's hope that one day we will see at least some of them enacted.

As long as a Shin regime associated party is in power you will see none of them, it would not be their modus operandi to operate "transparently".

At times like this I am reminded of the old saying - " All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing " biggrin.png

You like tangible news, I know. Well, maybe tomorrow on the Reuters site.

Maybe this will help to pass the time

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/28/us-thailand-politics-coup-supporters-idUSKBN0E80J520140528

Ah, of course, when I say I want to see the original Reuters article stating that "Most Thais support the coup" you come up with a link that says nothing of the sort, save one Facebook user who states that millions of Thais support the coup..................Yeah, OK. coffee1.gif

One Facebook user calling herself "The People’s News" said "millions of Thais are happy to see the coup", and that anti-coup protesters were trying to discredit the military.

If you find the article I actually asked for, do let me know. Curious that the original poster hasn't produced the link................

Look, I understand this tag team response of posting confrontational posts to goad me into getting a warning from the mods, but after djjamies provocative efforts and "helpful" reminders about the new zero tolerance approach on here these past few days I won't fall for that again.

So let's analyse your post shall we. I posted a remark that Facebook was not available, which it wasn't at that time. After that somebody posted that it was working again. I agreed and mentioned that the NCPO had said that the 30 odd minute Facebook downtime was down to a glitch.

Do you really feel that warrants you posting this

"You shouldn't respond to flabby's post for a day because perhaps he'll retract his statement later on, the same as he tried to pass off his jumping the gun with facebook." ??

Nothing better to post about?

Seriously fabio, enough is enough ! You are getting more brazen every day, and now the worst troll on this site is accusing legit posters of goading him. If the mods knew who you really were nobody would be goading you. Get a life man. thumbsup.gif

As far as the rest of the world being so alarmed at the recent events in Thailand, that would only be the case if they were not aware of what was happening in Thailand at the hands of the Shin regime. In most countries the entire family and their crooked associates, Chalerm etc, would be in the "Crowbar Motel".

• Like 2