Looking for some advice

I first of all must admit that I know close to zero about cars, I have never owned or driven one in my life.

I have a family here in Thailand with two kids and I will be living here more than likely for at least the next twenty years. I am looking to purchase a car for my family just to get around the place on a daily basis and hopefully to be abe to get away for some weekends throughout the year.

I am looking for any suggestions on cars people would have that are good value, economic to run, have a decent amount of space and are fairly proven as sound family cars.

I would really appreciate any advice people could throw my way as I am really clueless when it comes to cars and obviously this will be a fairly significant investment.

Beachproperty has pretty much said it, sound advice, and I have exactly the same 4 door pick-up.

A lot depends on your actual location, (city or sticks) and how much running about you are likely to do.

• Like 1

A few of questions I would ask you. First is how much do you want to spend? Next would be how long do you want to keep the vehicle? Besides hauling people would you use the vehicle for anything else? And finally would this vehicle be used everyday or just occasionally? Answer these questions and us "car guys" can give you better choices.

• Like 1

When it comes to cars you have to look at satisfying that which YOU need it for!

Personally I have a 4 door truck ....pretty much top of the line

I paid 850,000 Baht. Comfortably it can hold 5 passengers. But this being Thailand I've seen as many as 12 people in a truck!w00t.gif

Its a diesel so engine is pretty solid and will last a long time (I hope)

I like it for a number of reasons but most of all it rides high off the ground so get a good view of everything in traffic. AND it has mass....just in case get in accident ...your in something substantial (unless of course you're in an accident with a bus or Bigger truck)

Well good luck....bye the way ....kinda find it difficult to believe you've never owned or driven a car. But as they say "anythings possible!"

wai.gif

Haha no seriously I have never driven a car or owned one, always found the prospect of it a bit terrifying. I could always get by with motorbike taxis, tuk tuks and taxis but I think now it's time to sort it out for my family. I'm fairly eager to learn and start looking into the best options.

I am in Bangkok, I would be looking to spend 600 - 900 k on the car and I would want it to be something that lasts at least 10-15 years. We would be using the car just to move people and a bit of shopping and the car would be used 4-5 times a week. I'm just about to post a topic on the motorbike forum as I think a bike would be better option for daily transport to work but still want to get the car for general family stuff.

Thank you for all of the replies so far

Edited by bkkgooner

If the OP has never driven a car before then I would definitely not consider a truck if not expressly needed, mostly because of the reasons the first poster mentioned. Not withstanding the toughness of the truck for protection, he is far more likely to run over a local pedestrian, motocy, tuk tuk or some other vehicle that permeates the roads there. Get down where they are so you don't kill someone and get a vehicle that is lighter and more responsive with brakes, steering and road grip which is not the case with a truck either especially in the rain, once you've mastered all that THEN consider a truck IMO..

^Agreed, I'd definitely add the Honda Fit to the group though, plenty of cargo space with all of the other benefits.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

If the OP has never driven a car before then I would definitely not consider a truck if not expressly needed, mostly because of the reasons the first poster mentioned. Not withstanding the toughness of the truck for protection, he is far more likely to run over a local pedestrian, motocy, tuk tuk or some other vehicle that permeates the roads there. Get down where they are so you don't kill someone and get a vehicle that is lighter and more responsive with brakes, steering and road grip which is not the case with a truck either especially in the rain, once you've mastered all that THEN consider a truck IMO..

I agree ....he may be better off with a Toyota Yaris, or Nissan March type of car. ....Small, easy to drive and maneuver!

• Like 1

I agree ....he may be better off with a Toyota Yaris, or Nissan March type of car. ....Small, easy to drive and maneuver!

And deadly in a major crash.

^What is?? But the idea is to avoid a major crash, which a smaller car like the ones you mentioned as well will help a new driver do..

Oh! Maybe you're speaking of a Yaris or March just used my quote? Yes I don't really recommend them, I think having driven at least both the Fit and the Yaris, to me the fit is another class honestly and within his budget.

Edited by WarpSpeed

^What is?? But the idea is to avoid a major crash, which a smaller car like the ones you mentioned as well will help a new driver do..

Oh! Maybe you're speaking of a Yaris or March just used my quote? Yes I don't really recommend them, I think having driven at least both the Fit and the Yaris, to me the fit is another class honestly and within his budget.

So we must all avoid a major crash......blink.png ..........Can you let the locals know about your theory...............clap2.gif

Sure you would, you'd rather be in anything that opposes my point of view, that's obvious.. But still how much driving have you done in Bangkok, compared to the 10 years I drove there without an incident? I don't worry about those trivial matters as I have the skills not to get hit in the first place and the skills were honed in vehicles that were nimble enough to perfect them instead of tanks that can't get out of their own way. I also think about others too and wish not hit of any of them, in a city the size of Bangkok there is ample opportunity to do so, ain't like the outback.

Anyway OP I've given you the opinion of a professional driver/instructor, that's my first hand experience, take it or leave it, up to you.. That'll be my only post on the topic.. Good luck whatever you choose.

So we must all avoid a major crash......blink.png ..........Can you let the locals know about your theory...............clap2.gif

No T/A you're childish, confrontational nonsense is all over the board again, you must be off your meds.. It's not a theory it's practiced daily, a top defensive driver does not have your insecure concerns and can avoid others shortcomings on the road.. You're stalking and bucking for a confrontation at every turn. Get over yourself, the board has been quite effective recently until you began once again stalking and confronting EVERY post on most every thread regardless of how wrong and foolish you are.. It's an illness, you really need to get back on your meds..

Edited by WarpSpeed

A modern day truck, especially with auto trans would be my idea of a safer ride. I have driven many vehicles in LOS and for sure a truck or full size SUV has better vision all round for those pesky bikes that do daft stuff on the inside. Being up higher is a bonus too, I remember that from my heavy goods vehicle driving, as long as your side mirrors are correctly adjusted.

Secondly I would rather be in a truck if someone broadsides my ride whether a bike or car. I am now referring to to trucks that have the higher suspension. Just my thoughts, and that is what I did when I came to LOS and have not regretted it..thumbsup.gif

Maybe he's not decrepit or female and would prefer a manual gearbox so he can actually enjoy driving the thing?

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sure you would, you'd rather be in anything that opposes my point of view, that's obvious.. But still how much driving have you done in Bangkok, compared to the 10 years I drove there without an incident? I don't worry about those trivial matters as I have the skills not to get hit in the first place and the skills were honed in vehicles that were nimble enough to perfect them instead of tanks that can't get out of their own way. I also think about others too and wish not hit of any of them, in a city the size of Bangkok there is ample opportunity to do so, ain't like the outback.

Anyway OP I've given you the opinion of a professional driver/instructor, that's my first hand experience, take it or leave it, up to you.. That'll be my only post on the topic.. Good luck whatever you choose.

So you have the skills to stop being rear ended by one of those old buses if the brakes can't stop it, or anything where many drivers are drunk or high on something.....blink.png ......Your a clever guy.

The last ride I would consider is a "hot hatch" if I had kids on board............Noooooooooo question........But, as they say, up to you.

PS. I have driven in BKK.

I bought a 4 door truck like others on here.

I like to see beyond the lady chatting on line while she drives.

I like its flexibilty to haul the family or other things.

I like diesel engines for their durability and fuel cost savings.

I like how they look.

No harder to park than a big sedan.

I live in bangkok and traffic is traffic. But if i want to go upcountry on some dodgy roads on the weekend, i can.

Easy as hell to drive, safe, fun and flexible.

Will wait for my cheque from the truck manufacturers now :)

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by bkkjames
  • Like 1

So you have the skills to stop being rear ended by one of those old buses if the brakes can't stop it, or anything where many drivers are drunk or high on something.....blink.png ......Your a clever guy.

The last ride I would consider is a "hot hatch" if I had kids on board............Noooooooooo question........But, as they say, up to you.

I contributed and I'm done, now you have to ask yourself what are you doing to benefit the forum and those reading it? Now "driven in Bangkok" is not driving it daily many times for 10 years, so no need to debate that either, you knew that of course, but just can't help yourself like all schizoids can't..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I see what you guys are saying , a truck is safer and so is an SUV for that matter but for a first time driver in Bangkok I think a truck is too much for him and an SUV is over his price range. The biggest cars in his price range are the ones I have mention. The bigger your vehicle and the more air bags you have will minimize the injuries. You could also throw a Ford Focus into that category but their style is getting old. Trivia fact, Ford use to own a part of Mazda (not anymore) and Mazda engineers designed the Ford Focus.

• Like 1

I contributed and I'm done, now you have to ask yourself what are you doing to benefit the forum?

No idea, any input I contribute is up to the readers, and NOT just you.

Now, something for you to read, as you think your invincible on the road cos you raced "hot hatches"

Mike Hailwood's death......In case you don't know the name, he was a m/cycle champion and F1 driver. Please read it and sit back........thumbsup.gif

I see what you guys are saying , a truck is safer and so is an SUV for that matter but for a first time driver in Bangkok I think a truck is too much for him and an SUV is over his price range. The biggest cars in his price range are the ones I have mention. The bigger your vehicle and the more air bags you have will minimize the injuries. You could also throw a Ford Focus into that category but their style is getting old. Trivia fact, Ford use to own a part of Mazda (not anymore) and Mazda engineers designed the Ford Focus.

I was going to throw the Focus in there too but like you I think the outdated styling was a deterrent and if only they still had a diesel it would have topped my list. Maybe a nice used diesel Focus might be an option too and quite cheap to be had, being a diesel it should still have plenty of mileage left in it..

I was going to throw the Focus in there too but like you I think the outdated styling was a deterrent and if only they still had a diesel it would have topped my list. Maybe a nice used diesel Focus might be an option too and quite cheap to be had, being a diesel it should still have plenty of mileage left in it..

Scary buying a used vehicle unless you knew the owner and all the service records were available as a lot of Thais do not correctly service their vehicles. You can still get a 2 liter diesel in a Cruze but they are 2 noisy for my taste.

Haha no seriously I have never driven a car or owned one, always found the prospect of it a bit terrifying. I could always get by with motorbike taxis, tuk tuks and taxis but I think now it's time to sort it out for my family. I'm fairly eager to learn and start looking into the best options.

I am in Bangkok, I would be looking to spend 600 - 900 k on the car and I would want it to be something that lasts at least 10-15 years. We would be using the car just to move people and a bit of shopping and the car would be used 4-5 times a week. I'm just about to post a topic on the motorbike forum as I think a bike would be better option for daily transport to work but still want to get the car for general family stuff.

Thank you for all of the replies so far

Best car for city driving and learner driver with plenty of interior space and large boot

in the price range mentioned would be a Honda City or Toyota Vios.

Thank you very much for all of the suggestions, I have some really solid info now to begin the process.

I really appreciate people putting in such time and effort into giving good information.

Now does anyone know where I can learn to drive the thing in Bangkok?

Edited by bkkgooner
  • Like 1

Scary buying a used vehicle unless you knew the owner and all the service records were available as a lot of Thais do not correctly service their vehicles. You can still get a 2 liter diesel in a Cruze but they are 2 noisy for my taste.

To some extent I agree but that's why I wasn't talking about one so old, it's just a few years ago they stopped selling them there and being diesels I suggested instead of a petrol engine should not be as big an issue.. Being that I can address ANY issues with used cars that never scares me off and the savings is well worth it. Sometimes I can take that for granted and not see how the person buying may be fearful, but I gave that consideration by not recommending one too old or with a petrol engine. If he doesn't get one too old it may just be coming out of it's service cycle and warrantee and should have been kept relatively well given it's more of a mid class car not owned by just everyone like many of the lower tier cars are..

Edited by WarpSpeed

We have owned a Chevrolet Optra from new since 2006, its been a great car up until last month when a young lady in a Toyota Camry (I think) smashed me right up the arse (cue the jokes). A pick up has been on my mind for the last year or so and I'll probably go for the Mazda BT 50. I don't think you'll have any problems learning to drive one. My missus is a short arse and was not really an experienced driver when she arrived in the States, she had no problem driving my old GMC 1500 truck, in fact she liked being that much bit higher in the cab compared to a normal 4 door sedan.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

OP I know you posted in interest of new but both of these seem to be nice, but the newer one is a manual which would fit me perfectly but for a newbie driver not a good choice..

The older one still looks a nice package and a nice price but a bit older than I'd like for recommendation, but again it's a diesel maybe worth a look. There was a guy there as I remember, that would go and have a look at a car for you for a reasonable price if you're interested in buying a used one..

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1405630

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1396383

Just before they discontinued these models I test drove one and was very impressed and was absolutely going to buy one but then life took a different direction and thankfully we didn't tie ourselves down to a new car, something else you might consider in the current climate.. For us the floods were the last straw, glad I didn't have one parked in my drive during that, though I pulled my own out just in time and it was never flooded..

Had pics posted but the site wouldn't allow so need to go to the link to see them.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Although as expressed I like a truck......Surprised no one mentioned the Nissan Almera....Not a mirco hatchback ....decent size, Great price (auto/air brand new for 500,000 baht) ...drawback is the small 1.2 engine, but if just being used around town ...Worth checking out!

Bt 50 is nice to drive.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good to hear mate. I really like the look of the truck and its sales people were by far the best we came across in Sakon.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app