Newlyweds sue Thailand hotel after bride falls ill with salmonella on luxury £10,000 honeymoon

Lite Beer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry they got sick but their reaction is a sign of the marital bliss to come. Who is responsible for my choices? It's not my fault. Can I sue? Good luck,.... Your divorce will cost more than 10,000. When you saw the food, worm, etc. did you take any action? Did you think others might also become ill? Guess that didn't matter to you.

Sometimes sh!t happens. Well, especially with salmonella. I got it in Phuket a couple years. Lasts about a month. I know where it came from. But the risk is always present somewhere. Just gotta roll with some things.

What to learn from this... stay away from hotels or fancy restaurants!

I have food poisoning 3 times during my first year here in Thailand, one time from a fancy hotel and two from quite expensive restaurants with only foreigners/tourists eating there.

Now just eating at the restaurants/food stalls that the locals eat at I haven't had any problem for the last 2 years!

The difference is that the big fancy restaurant and the hotels uses fridges and freezers, the small shops and stalls buy fresh ingredients everyday. And if they don't buy fresh the Thais would stop going there...

Correct !

When eating out in Chiang Mai I only eat at restaurants frequented by Thais, never at the ones you see full of tourists.

And I eat at the street stalls in places like Wororot Market, never had a problem eating there.

Fact is you can be unlucky and get a bug anywhere, luck of the draw sometimes.

gawd i wish i could successfully sue for every time ive had the spreads here!

.....if i could id have enough money to go to a more exclusive country and get the spreads there.........cos like bacteria only comes from 3rd world places, right?

Ha Ha,the only chance to sue is,if you keep the evidence so they can DNA the crap ,and the food you thought you eat clap2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Come on back to Thailand to press your case.

Don't be surprised if you're the ones who end up in jail- for defamation.

That's the most truthful post so far! Sue the hotel : not a snowballs chance in hell of getting a Satang in this country. As said above. Tell everyone on internet forums and hit them in their pockets that way!

A wormlike creature in the pool would have been a sensational story and we would have seen pictures of it in the news the same day.

Oh wait it was reported by a british tabloid and now we have to listen to this bullshit.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The 'luxury 10000 pound' honeymoon involved a 4 star hotel? In Thailand?

Not so luxury I think. Plus, you are more likely to get the trots from eating street food than at most hotels. Did they only eat at the hotel? Can they prove it?

Probably not. Good luck with suing a Thai hotel.

In 6 years I have only ever had serious squits here once and it was from my Sister-in-law feeding me undercooked Mussels. Never had a problem at any place outside.

Could the wormy things in the water have been Mosquito Larvae ? Of course they should not live in the water if their is sufficient chlorine in but after a torrential downpour it is possible.

They have little or no chance winning a law suit and the way they have handled it has not helped them. Going to the big press without good negotiation first will just get the back up of the hotel owner. Why should the hotel owner be responsible for the cost of their flights and the time they already enjoyed in Hong Kong and Singapore? I think it's a lost case and my advice is that they need to be careful if they set foot here again, as a counter law suit could await them.

The agent may be on the hook for not assuring the standard of the resort.

Not trying to sound silly, but the headline read, "Newlyweds sue Thailand hotel after bride falls ill with s"

I was intrigued, it could have been many other things that start with "S" which would have made for a far more or less shocking or outrageous article.

More:

SARS

Scarlet Fever

Syphilis

Less:

Shingles

Sciatica

Scurvy

All sorts of other outcomes I suppose. Takes the mind off of coups etc. though the guy now has martial plus marital law to make life different than it was before all of this!

Nah, just the shxts.

"fresh food being piled on top of old dishes at the luxury resort" ... almost guaranteed that they were not imagining it.

They do this in buffets all the time - usually doesn't make people sick. But better to put the new dish down and scrape what's left of the original dish on top. Same as stocking a shop fridge from the back.

Luxury holiday ?

It's a 4 star hotel in a developing world country. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If you want first world hygiene in a luxury hotel it doesn't cost 3000 Baht per night. blink.png Stay in Europe and pay for it and for gawd sake don't eat food if you think it's not safe.

well the holiday cost 10.000 Pound...that is a lot.

On the other side a new bride would have been just 500 Baht in Phuket. biggrin.png

I think their attorney sees a big cash payday from the couple, as I am sure he knows there is no chance of recovering damages from anyone in Thailand.

Does the UK allow attorney fees on contingency?

I bet the couple will be suprised by reading some of the mud slinging experts in this forum.

I wonder if this story is printed with their consent?

And why for Christ sake are people allowed to spit venom on TV while moderaters are present?

A reflection of their daily routine maybe?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think their attorney sees a big cash payday from the couple, as I am sure he knows there is no chance of recovering damages from anyone in Thailand.

Does the UK allow attorney fees on contingency?

They're called conditional fees in UK, but yes they are allowed. Although, I doubt this couples Thai lawyer will be going for that method of payment!!

What to learn from this... stay away from hotels or fancy restaurants!

I have food poisoning 3 times during my first year here in Thailand, one time from a fancy hotel and two from quite expensive restaurants with only foreigners/tourists eating there.

Now just eating at the restaurants/food stalls that the locals eat at I haven't had any problem for the last 2 years!

The difference is that the big fancy restaurant and the hotels uses fridges and freezers, the small shops and stalls buy fresh ingredients everyday. And if they don't buy fresh the Thais would stop going there...

Nice story, I had a similar experience and put it down to different microbes here as compared to back home. Once my body had adjusted a lot less problems....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"The couple claim they saw worm-like creatures in the swimming pools and fresh food being piled on top of old dishes at the luxury resort".

Possibility trips on Meth..

"The couple claim they saw worm-like creatures in the swimming pools and fresh food being piled on top of old dishes at the luxury resort."

and they still went for a swim ???

and they still ate the crappy food ???