'Terror plot' suspects arrested

Lite Beer

From my understanding, 2 grenades, some rounds of ammunition, not a single firearm. iow, a fraction of what Suthep's thugs had at their 'peaceful' rallies. just a little perspective, that's all.

They simply didn't have all their tools yet and were caught before the act, if the army had waited it could/would have been much worse, just a little perspective on your perspective, that's all.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The value of this arrest is that they got 21 of them. Some may be fanatics and others in it just for the money but none of them are likely to have either the endurance of the Islamic insurgents in the South or any training in how to resist interrogation like Special Forces have to go through. It is a pretty good bet that more than one of them will start singing after only a few days without sleep before the army get round to applying the blow torch to their scrotums.

I have to say those Red shirts are pretty Dumb to commit terrorist attack in the own back yard...Thats a hell of a way to get the Isan community behind them...

I guest there afraid to try that in the South...

It's common knowledge they are dumb by the very nature of their political leanings.

• Like 1

This is a significant and visible arrest, and it has yielded much information. It's exposure and seizure has immediately had the effect of rendering the country much safer, and it has saved lives.

• Like 1

McCarthyism is the practice of making accusations of disloyalty, subversion, or treason without proper regard for evidence. It also means "the practice of making unfair allegations or using unfair investigative techniques, especially in order to restrict dissent or political criticism.

... and that has exactly what bearing on a group of terrorists found red-handed with their war weapons...?!

Every item of news during this time of an army run state should be totally dis believed .

That applies much more to every item that came or will ever come from ptp(or what new name in the future), "udd" or the shin clan

don't forget the coup was necessary to remove those ill intended people from continuing to ill use of power

My point was becareful when guilt by association can send you for reeducation.

Why aren't the yellow protaginists rounded up in this purge?

Some of the thai English papers want you to believe it is about colours but it is not.

So if a senate or half of it is appointed how can an elected government pursue reform? What happens if the only people who can vote are land holders with value in excess of say 5 m baht? Or the division of electorates favour the Bangkok elite?

The Shin clan tried to dismantle the system which infuriated the elite, rich middle class and the armed forces.

The General has to be seen as being fair in what he does from here. Giving the farmers payment is a good start, but one needs to ask why has it taken so long? Will the civil servants that profited from the purchase of rice from overseas and on sold it to the Government Program will be brought to justice? Many countries have similar schemes. There needs to be transparency in what went wrong?

The 2006 constitution was supposed to legitimise ill use of power. It didn't.

The class-dominated nature of Thai society means that a small number of people have vast economic or political power, while the majority have little or none. The political power being the most contentious in this struggle. What Mr T did was to endear himself to the poorer class by giving populist policy's that enriched their lives.

I think the answer is simplistic at the 'its necessary' stage, because necessary needs to be defined and examined?

propaganda .... i find it amusing the general ( i use that word lightly) shuts down the media but allows this type of reporting to get coverage ... we are in an interesting stage here , do not think for one minute all is well ....never forget the dictators of the past ..now we are in the hands of one old mans ego driven crusade ...Mugabe , Hitler , Pol pot , Mussolini , Franco , ..get the picture ? early signs are scary ..Martial law then Coup ? ( nice forward planning) pay the rice farmers from general revenue ? detaining people with no public news of the safety of these individuals ...curfew across the whole of Thailand( why) ....meanwhile the Armies priority of resolving the problems in the Sth just get worse daily ( more deaths last night) ... time to think about leaving imo

You mean all those legally elected people that went on to become monsters - I thought your ilk was all for elected people to do whatever they want once in power because the people put them there - so its democracy, right?

• Like 1

Who was that character in Dad's Army that was always saying 'we're doomed'.

cdmtdm, I get the odd day when I'm a 'glass is half empty' person. I think you are having one of those days.

I've only been here 7 months, have no kids but thus far have invested around 4 million baht in Thailand. And there's more investment to follow, providing I'm not dead or kicked out.

Before I decided to come here I did spend some time on google. I'm a little surprised, that in a country with a history of how many coups since 1932?, you seem a little surprised there's been a coup.

I hope to stay in Thailand for the duration (of my life) and enjoy the beauty I have found here. God (and General) willing, that is the case.

I have some concerns over the current situation, but stressing over what the General may or may not do is not going to change anything. Go with the flow on this one. If we get shot, it was our time. If you are Buddhist, maybe you get to come back as a general next time smile.png

If we get kicked out, we have roots here, maybe we get to come back next year or in 5 years and continue where we left off.

What's the worst case scenario for you? I'll see if I can put a positive angle onto it for you - I'd like to share some of my peachy outlook with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

this is not the first coup or political war i have been through here in the Kingdom , i am no fan of any political party here , i support the Monarchy ... what has changed is the self appointed power one man has , that is no good for anyone, short term or long term ...history will show it never ends peacefully ... look at Cambodia , Burma .... still basket cases after 20 years ... surely a poor constitution was better than none , a functioning govt , electoral system etc ... now what do we have ? not even a hint of an election ......

Why not look at Thailand instead? How did the 2006 coup end - was it peaceful or violent? It ended when peace was restored, an interim government appointed, and an election followed - i.e. return to normalcy. You say you have lived through other coups and political war (erm when was the political war - must have slept through that one) - yet can only talk about Burma and Cambodia as points of reference??? You show your own disbelief in what you are spouting.

very convenient

Yes very convenient - much more convenient than a large Oxy-Acetylene tank strapped with explosives going up, and several hundred rounds going off, in downtown KK eh?

Who was that character in Dad's Army that was always saying 'we're doomed'.

cdmtdm, I get the odd day when I'm a 'glass is half empty' person. I think you are having one of those days.

I've only been here 7 months, have no kids but thus far have invested around 4 million baht in Thailand. And there's more investment to follow, providing I'm not dead or kicked out.

Before I decided to come here I did spend some time on google. I'm a little surprised, that in a country with a history of how many coups since 1932?, you seem a little surprised there's been a coup.

I hope to stay in Thailand for the duration (of my life) and enjoy the beauty I have found here. God (and General) willing, that is the case.

I have some concerns over the current situation, but stressing over what the General may or may not do is not going to change anything. Go with the flow on this one. If we get shot, it was our time. If you are Buddhist, maybe you get to come back as a general next time smile.png

If we get kicked out, we have roots here, maybe we get to come back next year or in 5 years and continue where we left off.

What's the worst case scenario for you? I'll see if I can put a positive angle onto it for you - I'd like to share some of my peachy outlook with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

this is not the first coup or political war i have been through here in the Kingdom , i am no fan of any political party here , i support the Monarchy ... what has changed is the self appointed power one man has , that is no good for anyone, short term or long term ...history will show it never ends peacefully ... look at Cambodia , Burma .... still basket cases after 20 years ... surely a poor constitution was better than none , a functioning govt , electoral system etc ... now what do we have ? not even a hint of an election ......

After 3 days and you think there should be an election already.

• Like 1

I'm finding very hard to believe any of this propaganda being dished out by this junta.

First there wasn't going to be a coup now there is .Then when there was the claimn of neutrality and there clearly isn't .

Academics scholars lawyers reporters politicians or anyone who dares speaks out against the coup are rounded up and so called detained with no reports of where they have good and what condition they are in only juntas word.

The coup flies against thai and international law and rightly so is being condemned from all corners of the globe.

A couple of hundred protesters staged a protest at victory monument and chased the soldiers away a brave act indeed by these young people however I fear that it's becoming so volatile that one spark could ignite this into full blown confrontation .

Unfortunately for this young generation they are left dismayed bewildered and frustrated by the loss of democracy and the tearing up of the constitution .

I just can't see how anyone supports these heavy handed tactics!

Makes me feel with your words you do not live in Thailand

But I am sure there is a new red list link being put together at immigration

will not be surprised under martial law if you can be tried and convicted with out being present

being behind bars after a long flight is not something I would look forward to

From my understanding, 2 grenades, some rounds of ammunition, not a single firearm. iow, a fraction of what Suthep's thugs had at their 'peaceful' rallies. just a little perspective, that's all.

speaking of which, personally, when the only source of news is that filtered/orchestrated/approved by a military dictatorship with no freedom of the press, a constitution THEY WROTE thrown in the bin, and political prisoners.... i take it with a grain of salt right alongside information released from north korea and other such regimes.

and whilst they are consolidating power more and more every day, now with the senate and police kicked to the curb, warning shots in CM, arrests in BKK, and, what... a couple 100 and growing political prisoners ('detained' is a washed word for UNLAWFULLY detained/imprisoned without cause)...... well, what is happening in the meantime??....

the only REAL, actual enemies of the state in South Thailand are taking advantage of a military drunk on power to attack and kill Thai citizens. strangely, of all the people i've noted, these are the only ones the Thai Army is tasked with combating. The Thai people should be outraged.

when a military seizes power with no authority, rounds up all potential rivals and keeps them hostage (comfortable or not, they are not free. zero difference right now between the Thai military and the military junta in Burma that kept their rival under house arrest also), nobody but blinded fanatics can approve. the army makes announcements that certain people must report within 4 hours or face 2 years in prison. really? this is what you want? would you also want this in your 'home' country? ahh... no. but it's ok because TiT? do you have such little regard for Thai's that you think this is ok, because it's Thailand?!?!

when journalists and academics are being rounded up, you're well over any line any fair minded person, on EITHER side, can accept.

but, ya know, it's good that the military has full control of the MBK and VM BTS stations... while the enemies of Thailand take advantage down south. Shameful.

Do you remember Hawaii state of America

where all the Japanese and look alike japanese where thrown behind barb wire until the military could make a decision on their fate

America your hero's who now are saying

Do as I say

Not do As we have done

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They simply didn't have all their tools yet and were caught before the act, if the army had waited it could/would have been much worse, just a little perspective on your perspective, that's all.

Yes I wish the army would be that active in Southern Thailand. They seems to have no tools at all. Complete double standard. Just yesterday Thai's in Southern Thailand got killed because the army is busy in the North and Bangkok.

Edited by MobileContent

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

propaganda .... i find it amusing the general ( i use that word lightly) shuts down the media but allows this type of reporting to get coverage ... we are in an interesting stage here , do not think for one minute all is well ....never forget the dictators of the past ..now we are in the hands of one old mans ego driven crusade ...Mugabe , Hitler , Pol pot , Mussolini , Franco , ..get the picture ? early signs are scary ..Martial law then Coup ? ( nice forward planning) pay the rice farmers from general revenue ? detaining people with no public news of the safety of these individuals ...curfew across the whole of Thailand( why) ....meanwhile the Armies priority of resolving the problems in the Sth just get worse daily ( more deaths last night) ... time to think about leaving imo

The curfew doesn't work in the South. All soldiers return to the barracks every day at 6pm for dinner and the Muslim terrorists take over every night.

*deleted*

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

Yes I wish the army would be that active in Southern Thailand. They seems to have no tools at all. Complete double standard. Just yesterday Thai's in Southern Thailand got killed because the army is busy in the North and Bangkok.

Do you think it's easy to fight Muslim insurgents? Get some perspective. We left Iraq - couldn't defeat them, we're about to leave Afghanistan defeated by the very same enemy. Get some perspective.

The army did great job in catching those red terrorists. One grenade was enough to kill children in Bangkok and Trat. You seem to have forgotten that.

Edited by Mackie
  • Like 1

I don't think you can equate one to the other - in either case you mention. The re are always deaths in the South and have been on going for years, since PM Thaksin kicked over the wasps' nest down there. It happens with the army there or not.

It is also a completely different scenario. The Reds can hardly scoot over the border like the insurgents do - they are also nowhere near as fanatical as the insurgents either. There is a lot to gripe about for those in those states - they had their land stolen by the British and then traded with the Siamese and even their old brothers in the South ignore their plight. They are almost the Asian equivalents of the Palestinians (no one likes them, no one cares about them - even their own people - and they have few options to be heard - prime position for extremism and fanaticism). If the Reds believe their own rhetoric, then in a few years max, the next election will see them returned to power - so hardly the same as an area which has no light at the end of the tunnel however deep one goes!

The South could be sorted easily - just give them self rule under King and under parliament (i.e. a devolved parliament, beholding in only the central laws of the country, with ability to control their own tax, education, religion etc). That would buy all but the extremists, who would lose hold they maintain today. Just like if Britain had returned Palestinian lands back to that tribe, and Israel back to the Jews, when they returned the lands back to all the others (Israel was pending at the time - Palestine forgotten completely) , after taking them from the Ottoman Empire, then there would not be the mess there is today in the Holy Lands either (although oil would still cause enough problems of its own).

Do you think it's easy to fight Muslim insurgents? Get some perspective. We left Iraq - couldn't defeat them, we're about to leave Afghanistan defeated by the very same enemy. Get some perspective.

The army did great job in catching those red terrorists. One grenade was enough to kill children in Bangkok and Trat. You seem to have forgotten that.

So I wonder why they actually then went to Iraq or Afghanistan. At least you say your country was defeated.

The Thais can win the insurgency in the South if they use some brains and put in a strict curfew. How come they can control the whole of Thailand but are unable to take care of an area of 80km where 70% of all the violence happened? Krong Pinang is one such location but the Thai army can take care of the whole Thailand.

You focus to much on the red shirts.

• Like 1

I don't think you can equate one to the other - in either case you mention. The re are always deaths in the South and have been on going for years, since PM Thaksin kicked over the wasps' nest down there. It happens with the army there or not.

It is also a completely different scenario. The Reds can hardly scoot over the border like the insurgents do - they are also nowhere near as fanatical as the insurgents either. There is a lot to gripe about for those in those states - they had their land stolen by the British and then traded with the Siamese and even their old brothers in the South ignore their plight. They are almost the Asian equivalents of the Palestinians (no one likes them, no one cares about them - even their own people - and they have few options to be heard - prime position for extremism and fanaticism). If the Reds believe their own rhetoric, then in a few years max, the next election will see them returned to power - so hardly the same as an area which has no light at the end of the tunnel however deep one goes!

The South could be sorted easily - just give them self rule under King and under parliament (i.e. a devolved parliament, beholding in only the central laws of the country, with ability to control their own tax, education, religion etc). That would buy all but the extremists, who would lose hold they maintain today. Just like if Britain had returned Palestinian lands back to that tribe, and Israel back to the Jews, when they returned the lands back to all the others (Israel was pending at the time - Palestine forgotten completely) , after taking them from the Ottoman Empire, then there would not be the mess there is today in the Holy Lands either (although oil would still cause enough problems of its own).

Gen. Prem made it clear it can't be done so it can't be done because the keys are in the hand of the military. They are not even permitted to follow their own religion and even speak the Malay dialect as an official language. You see the problem is in the hand of the military.

Btw the reds move over the borders to Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia all the time. Many of the reds from Mukdahan, Nakon Phanom and Sakom Nakhon left on the day the first meeting was called by Prayuth. They are low key and only control the villages but you can be for sure that they will regroup in the months to come. The reds have no hurry at the moment because as long the Junta stays in power it will be negative for Junta.

For me I am not red, not yellow and many years I stayed in Krong Pinang in the South.

There's a big difference between activities by Red Shirts and the insurgents in the South.

The Red Shirts are a threat and can cause instability in areas that are important to the junta (and others with financial and political interests). So the junta will stop those activities.

The violence in the South is localized to 3 or 4 provinces. It has been that way for over a decade. Nobody currently or recently in power (PT, Democrats, Junta, etc.) cares about it.

A few people die per month but it has it is no effect on what is important to them. The military could launch a campaign against the insurgents but junta has more important things to worry about so they don't.

Edited by erobando

Authorities found explosives, three hand grenades, one smoke grenade, two boxes of 202 9mm bullets and 145 11mm bullets, two gas tanks, mobile phones, a spatha knife, bullet-proof vests, wallets... ...even wallets are now considered to be used for terrorizing

speaking of which, personally, when the only source of news is that filtered/orchestrated/approved by a military dictatorship with no freedom of the press, a constitution THEY WROTE thrown in the bin, and political prisoners.... i take it with a grain of salt right alongside information released from north korea and other such regimes.

and whilst they are consolidating power more and more every day, now with the senate and police kicked to the curb, warning shots in CM, arrests in BKK, and, what... a couple 100 and growing political prisoners ('detained' is a washed word for UNLAWFULLY detained/imprisoned without cause)...... well, what is happening in the meantime??....

the only REAL, actual enemies of the state in South Thailand are taking advantage of a military drunk on power to attack and kill Thai citizens. strangely, of all the people i've noted, these are the only ones the Thai Army is tasked with combating. The Thai people should be outraged.

when a military seizes power with no authority, rounds up all potential rivals and keeps them hostage (comfortable or not, they are not free. zero difference right now between the Thai military and the military junta in Burma that kept their rival under house arrest also), nobody but blinded fanatics can approve. the army makes announcements that certain people must report within 4 hours or face 2 years in prison. really? this is what you want? would you also want this in your 'home' country? ahh... no. but it's ok because TiT? do you have such little regard for Thai's that you think this is ok, because it's Thailand?!?!

when journalists and academics are being rounded up, you're well over any line any fair minded person, on EITHER side, can accept.

but, ya know, it's good that the military has full control of the MBK and VM BTS stations... while the enemies of Thailand take advantage down south. Shameful.

Just little or no perspective at all. Shocking that the reds should be prevented from tooling up for a re-run of 2010. Ya know, just shameful.

Yes, the poster has a most appropriate monicker...!!

Gen. Prem made it clear it can't be done so it can't be done because the keys are in the hand of the military. They are not even permitted to follow their own religion and even speak the Malay dialect as an official language. You see the problem is in the hand of the military.

Btw the reds move over the borders to Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia all the time. Many of the reds from Mukdahan, Nakon Phanom and Sakom Nakhon left on the day the first meeting was called by Prayuth. They are low key and only control the villages but you can be for sure that they will regroup in the months to come. The reds have no hurry at the moment because as long the Junta stays in power it will be negative for Junta.

For me I am not red, not yellow and many years I stayed in Krong Pinang in the South.

I doubt the South could be fixed by the military - it needs a politician's finesse (a good one) - so agree with you there. As I suggested, allowing self rule via a devolved parliament will allow them to have their own religion and even allow dialect and Malay language schooling etc - without giving the land away (or allowing a move to Sharia Law etc), and allowing the return of rule of law - with their own police force control, troops can move back to their bases and allow civilian authority to control the area. Not perfect, and will be a slow process - but better than on going troubles - and much better than the military stamping down harder down there.

I know the Reds moved over the borders, but one of the first things that were done was the closure of the small border crossings and limits on many of the Red leadership from leaving the country. Not saying this will stop them - but its a lot harder now. The problem with the Malay border is that it is so easy to cross and with the insurgents being Malay, easy for them to disappear when they do - Thais do not have it so easy in bordering neighbours.

• Like 1

McCarthyism is the practice of making accusations of disloyalty, subversion, or treason without proper regard for evidence. It also means "the practice of making unfair allegations or using unfair investigative techniques, especially in order to restrict dissent or political criticism.

That is the US.

Go back there, where your vote counts.

I doubt the South could be fixed by the military - it needs a politician's finesse (a good one) - so agree with you there. As I suggested, allowing self rule via a devolved parliament will allow them to have their own religion and even allow dialect and Malay language schooling etc - without giving the land away (or allowing a move to Sharia Law etc), and allowing the return of rule of law - with their own police force control, troops can move back to their bases and allow civilian authority to control the area. Not perfect, and will be a slow process - but better than on going troubles - and much better than the military stamping down harder down there.

I know the Reds moved over the borders, but one of the first things that were done was the closure of the small border crossings and limits on many of the Red leadership from leaving the country. Not saying this will stop them - but its a lot harder now. The problem with the Malay border is that it is so easy to cross and with the insurgents being Malay, easy for them to disappear when they do - Thais do not have it so easy in bordering neighbours.

A rare, sensible, and good post.

A couple of hundred protesters staged a protest at victory monument and chased the soldiers away a brave act indeed by these young people however I fear that it's becoming so volatile that one spark could ignite this into full blown confrontation .

Under martial law, the Red Shirts chose to hold a demonstration. They deserve to be dealt with appropriately.

• Like 1

And your point is ???????

Thailand's not for everyone... Don't forget to close the door on your way out. Good luck to you and to wherever you may sail.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app