Rice payments tomorrow

Lite Beer

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aprox 100k per farmer

My wife..150K owed.

My wife 800k owed, this will mean we can pay of the debt incurred planting and harvesting. Planting this year ? No way !

800K must be doing well then, must be a fair profit. But yes if you incurred debts that costs too. You are right about not planting, the future of rice looks bad.

Anyone that cannot see what is going on here is an idiot.

The NACC always had the money.

The farmers are not stupid. They are happy to receive the money now, no doubt ...but they know why they didnt receive it earlier.

you know what ? I am sick of people coming on here and defending this crowd of corrupt - lying - deceitful - power abusers that called themselves a government, they are gone and good riddance

They tried every way they could to get banks - foreign investors - trying to sell bonds at drastically reduced rates - they just about exhausted every avenue both legally open to them and not, they tried to push through an off budget loan of 2.2 trillion baht - which I at the time predicted exactly what it was to be used for - to cover the money they and Thaksin had stolen from the Thai people - now back to why they could never raise the funds - nobody trusted them - yes the sitting government of a country could not be trusted because of all the lies and deceit that had gone on the months before - this will all be uncovered soon enough and those responsible will be dealt with

now get over it and move on

• Like 2

Absolutely no excuse for not paying the farmers....

Apart from the blatant effort from the opposition to ensure that they could not be paid.

Being a caretaker government is a good excuse, but only for the last couple month. Why was it not taken care of before? I understand farmers waited since October or November.

Fact remains, id you promise somebody to buy their goods well over their value, it will cost you money. So better make sure you have the funds before making such promise.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This will be the money that was not available to the ex government?

Good question, I was wondering the same. I seem to recall (and I may very well be mistaken) that Yingluck tried to make payments recently, prior to her dismissal, to the farmers and was denied by either BoT or Parliament, can't remember which.

Also, and perhaps I don't understand the farmer/rice thing well enough, but if the 'rice pledging scheme' was such an outrageous crime perpetrated by the previous administration, why is it now suddenly okay? Or am I confusing two different issues?

The issue with the rice pledging scheme is that it was supposed to help farmers - but very little ended up in their hands.

The money that they are going to be paid is an out standing debt - that does not mean that the scheme will be continued.

The difference between the payments being made in the situation now is that it is not being paid by a caretaker government to fund its election.

Payment of this money to the farmers serves many purposes - payment of an overdue debt, economic stimulus, reduces social tensions, and makes it easier to return Thailand to some semblance of social harmony.

Now if he makes laws saying that debts due to loan sharks have to be registered and sets up a tribunal to review the terms and conditions of the loans that would be very, very interesting. In part because of who has had the money to be able to lend it!!!!

In my view this may dismantle some of the negative control systems that have evolved over the Shin years.

There was a report only 18% of the funds ended up with poor farmers.

• Like 1

"BAAC president Luck Wajananawat said as the Constitution has been suspended, the bank could disburse from its reserves and the farmers' fund to pay farmers at the earliest following orders from the National Council for Peace and Order."

What??? If the constitution is in place then the funds are not available but if the constitution is suspended then they are! Unbelievable even for Thailand.

And what happens to the BAAC if the NCPO defaults on its loan?

the money was available while they were Government but once they were in caretaker mode from December they couldn't borrow it until a new Government was formed.

That's why they kept pressing for early elections and also to stop any-one outside PTP seeing the Rice Scam books. Nothing to do with Democracy.

Now many in PTP must be cra**ing themselves when the Army auditors find the grand theft. Some people are going to be spending a long time in the monkey house or riding camels.

It all sounds good, and I (tentatively now he's dismissed the senate) support that General........but professional soldiers are not economists. I hope he's doing the right thing.

Politicians are not economists either ... and what is an economist anyway, to 'study, develop, and apply theories and concepts from economics and write about' ... not unlike a weather reporter really ...

"BAAC president Luck Wajananawat said as the Constitution has been suspended, the bank could disburse from its reserves and the farmers' fund to pay farmers at the earliest following orders from the National Council for Peace and Order."

What??? If the constitution is in place then the funds are not available but if the constitution is suspended then they are! Unbelievable even for Thailand.

And what happens to the BAAC if the NCPO defaults on its loan?

Under the constitution the bank is required to keep enough reserves so it can cover the withdrawing of their customers savings.

Today it doesn't seem important that the bank can go tits up anytime and thereby swindle their long time customers out of their life savings.

well, now the former government knows what they needed to do to pay the farmers: throw out the constitution! anyone who thinks YS didn't want the farmers paid is too caught up in their own rhetoric to think clearly. they tried but they were blocked at every turn because the yellow's didn't want the farmers paid- much better for them if it was there to drive a wedge in the government's base.

but it sets a super great precedence: want thing done? throw out the constitution.

super.

Praise Buddha. I was reading all these posts just waiting to read one from someone who actually gets it.

Thank you.

If the army actually does pay off the farmers so quickly then its shows just how bad the Shins where are governance and good at inciting trouble... The army look like they have planned this very meticulously and yes, played Taksin at his own game... For the first time in a along while i do think Thailand has a much positive future.... Many events will shape that future but a least the evil one has been cut out of it.

• Like 1

" More than 300 farmers from Phitsanulok and representatives of kamnan and village heads of 17 northern provinces submitted a letter to the Phitsanulok governor, showing their support for Prayuth. They thanked Prayuth for his swift action in paying the farmers and his promise to maintain the kamnan and village heads institution in the country's administration. "

Prayuth is both burning bridges and building them at the same time. By paying the farmers, he also cements their support, and erodes Thaksin's. Prayuth is also wise in preserving the kamnan in the country, as there is a fountain of support for Thaksin within them. But again, allegiance can shift quite quickly if enough backs are rubbed. And the gesture seems to be already getting results. Thaksin is being trumped by his own game. Prayuth knows who to replace and who to keep. And for the ones he doesn't keep, he transfers to another department. He therefore is able to grant a saving of face - a very, very key factor in everything Thai. These things get noticed and they definitely are appreciated.

Edited by Scamper

well, now the former government knows what they needed to do to pay the farmers: throw out the constitution! anyone who thinks YS didn't want the farmers paid is too caught up in their own rhetoric to think clearly. they tried but they were blocked at every turn because the yellow's didn't want the farmers paid- much better for them if it was there to drive a wedge in the government's base.

but it sets a super great precedence: want thing done? throw out the constitution.

super.

Praise Buddha. I was reading all these posts just waiting to read one from someone who actually gets it.

Thank you.

What the former government needed to do was ensure that the payments were in place BEFORE dissolving Parliament. Anything else is spin!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It all sounds good, and I (tentatively now he's dismissed the senate) support that General........but professional soldiers are not economists. I hope he's doing the right thing.

Politicians also are NOT economists, they rely on their respective depts.

Good question, I was wondering the same. I seem to recall (and I may very well be mistaken) that Yingluck tried to make payments recently, prior to her dismissal, to the farmers and was denied by either BoT or Parliament, can't remember which.

Also, and perhaps I don't understand the farmer/rice thing well enough, but if the 'rice pledging scheme' was such an outrageous crime perpetrated by the previous administration, why is it now suddenly okay? Or am I confusing two different issues?

I suppose it can be said this is a debt incurred by the Thai government which still has to be discharged. Imagine the mayhem if the farmers were told they would not be paid.

I hope the General will scrap this stupid rice thing the farmers were ok with the way before.

Next question is will the scheme be scaled back or abandoned completely ?

BAAC president Luck Wajananawat said as the Constitution has been suspended, the bank could disburse from its reserves and the farmers' fund to pay farmers at the earliest following orders from the National Council for Peace and Order.

I just can't wrap my head around this statement: what are the conditions in the constitution that forbids the government to repay it's debts? I am sure potential creditors would like to know also...maybe my head has to be square shaped in order to understand..., or the BAAC guy is grasping at straws...

Yeah... Ex-govt's credit check didn't get bank's approval. Even if it had been available, you seriously believe it would have reached the farmer's hands?

If you believe that you would have to be an idiot. I don't think even fabio would swallow that.

The caretaker Yingluck government was unable to seek loans to pay farmers for rice pledged under the government's populist scheme due to legal obstacles faced as a result of being a caretaker government.

What about before they became a caretaker government ? Or were they too busy trying to change the goalposts to get their illustrious leader back into his office ?

I am sure the red brigade will have a raft of excuses in their "little red books".

As far as PR is concerned he is.

jb1

BAAC president Luck Wajananawat said as the Constitution has been suspended, the bank could disburse from its reserves and the farmers' fund to pay farmers at the earliest following orders from the National Council for Peace and Order.

I just can't wrap my head around this statement: what are the conditions in the constitution that forbids the government to repay it's debts? I am sure potential creditors would like to know also...maybe my head has to be square shaped in order to understand..., or the BAAC guy is grasping at straws...

You should have read more before, but ill explain.

The moment you are in caretaker mode as a government you cant spend more as your budget. That is considered vote buying. They had not allocated budget for the farmers before dissolving (groce incompetence).

Its all quite simple and sad actually how incompetent the government is. The farmers had to hurt for that.. i hope they learned something.

But also even before dissolving they were way behind with paying as there was no money and they were waiting for the 2 trillion baht loan to cover it all up. Loaning more before would have meant that they had to admit it was even worse with the rice scheme as they said.

• Like 1