Ex-PMs Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck Shinawatra to establish government in exile

Lite Beer

What would a Govt in exile be able to accomplish? Other than keeping the hate fires burning brightly.

I think the objective is that - in the case of international intervention - the government in exile would be allowed to return to power if the junta were overthrown. Memory may fail me but I think that's happened in other countries with "governments in exile". (No, I can't provide an example but I think it's occurred, historically speaking.)

think you'll find France in WW2 - Gen De Gaulle when he was in England as head of the Free French. And incidentally one of the best friends Britain ever had - every time they applied to join the EEC (Now the EU) he vetoed the application.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats seals the Shin clan fate quite nicely... They will all have to leave the country... Not sure Dubai are into hosting govs in exile..may have to relocate to a nice african resort..lol

Edited by Bkkbound

What would a Govt in exile be able to accomplish? Other than keeping the hate fires burning brightly.

I think the objective is that - in the case of international intervention - the government in exile would be allowed to return to power if the junta were overthrown. Memory may fail me but I think that's happened in other countries with "governments in exile". (No, I can't provide an example but I think it's occurred, historically speaking.)

think you'll find France in WW2 - Gen De Gaulle when he was in England as head of the Free French. And incidentally one of the best friends Britain ever had - every time they applied to join the EEC (Now the EU) he vetoed the application.

The Free French government in exile was the result of foreign aggression and utter military defeat, not a domestic coup. 'Believe there were other govts in exile as well during the war. All the result of their countries having been overrun, and all restored through allied military efforts. 'Don't really see the analogy with Thailand's situation.

Question is.

Who is going to provide the money for the financing of the lifestyle the Shinwatra clan aspire too and who is going to fund the Red Shirts if the states coffers are closed to them ?

Begging+bowl.jpg

• Like 1

Click some advertising banners here on TV website to generate some extra money for TV rewarding them for their excellent service thumbsup.gif

That's a great idea! I just whacked four, one of which I am actually interested in (splitting infinitives is like splitting wood, sometimes it;'s fun).

"Toxin" still has the support of Isaan....the REAL Thailand. He is justifiably more popular than any other political figure, including "influential" figures. The Oliver Cromwell model is the template that Thailand needs.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Government in exile is a fantasy. Even so, I don't think I'd want my lawyer spouting off about it while I'm in custody of the military.

Martial law in a democrat country is totally illegal. Perhaps government in exile is the only legal way to do it.

The Free French government in exile was the result of foreign aggression and utter military defeat, not a domestic coup. 'Believe there were other govts in exile as well during the war. All the result of their countries having been overrun, and all restored through allied military efforts. 'Don't really see the analogy with Thailand's situation.

We politely kept a polish gov in exile in london for decades, they just died off in the end..

• Like 1

There's a very close comparison. France was invaded by the the German military; Thailand has been taken over by a military coup. In both cases the legitimate governments were overturned and banned, the military exerting near-total control. To the average citizen it probably matters little whether the dictatorship is domestic or foreign. The result is the same: censorship, rounding up of opponents, suspension of democracy. That's why some people in such a country might want a government in exile and freedom. By the way, your misunderstanding is analagous to the common misperception that Thailand was never colonised. It was colonised, except it was done by the central Thais and the ammart, not by western colonial powers. (Historians have written quite a lot about this in recent years).

The other comparison with France in WW2 is that both in France then and in Thailand these days there were the collaborators, the fellow travellers. We have quite a lot of those here on Thai Visa.

Edited by anteater

anteater post# 142

The other comparison with France in WW2 is that both in France then and in Thailand these days there were the collaborators, the fellow travellers. We have quite a lot of those here on Thai Visa.

Care to name and shame them and their political leaning?wai2.gif

I'm shocked at the idiocy of most of the posters here. You prefer a military State or an unelected people's council as opposed to the democratically elected PM who did as much as possible for the people in the face of ridiculous tides of opposition?

I'm guessing most of you wouldn't be able to manage a gas station. Let alone a 3rd world country.

Never had the displeasure of managing either a gas station or a third world country.

Might have to do with not signing up for a class in your school of bad manners?

Question is.

Who is going to provide the money for the financing of the lifestyle the Shinwatra clan aspire too and who is going to fund the Red Shirts if the states coffers are closed to them ?

Begging+bowl.jpg

The globalist scumbags will finance them.....the cost will pale in comparison to getting unfettered access to rape Thailand of everything it has! The countdown has started......

The IMF took all of Ukraine's gold for "Safe Keeping." Tik-Tok Thailand......

Does this ring a bell?

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process.

~What we Thai people DO know is how our country runs even though it may not be perfect - you should stay in your own country and sort out Britains many problems - we don't need people like you here - When did you last see a Thai telling your people on a forum how to run their country? If you like Thaksin so much move from London to Dubai NOT to Thailand.

I don't have a right to vote in thailand, but i do have rights to my opinions and discuss them publicly.

You do have the right to vote, but you don't use this privilage and even try to staffle a political discussion claiming your superiority.

There is a majority of thai, who don't agree with your politics. You are trying to shut them up.

If you haven't realised, this is a forum for expats, foreigners in thailand. I do qualify to be here. You, as thai, should not dictate, what i should say here. You should not dictate, where i should live. You should not tell me, who i should love or hate.

You have a closed, narrow minded, xenophobic and autoritarian brain, not compatibile with a contemporary world around you. That's why you and thailand is faling in so many aspects. And you are not able to survive in a contemporary world alone. The world has learned from history, with strugles, wars, civil unrest and formed stable parliamentary democracies. You are failing to learn from this history

And you happily lie. You have no idea what the majority of Thais think. How do you know if they agree with this poster or not, What you really mean is you don't agree. Or can you show us all your research and prove otherwise.

To save you embarrassing yourself through lack of knowledge, Yinggy didn't get a majority of the votes cast when she was elected.

The majority of Thais I know, all support the ousting of a very inept and corrupt PTP regime.

Unless you missed it, both posters presume to speak for the majority (or entirety) of Thai people.

The "majority of people I know" is relevant to the "Republic of Acquaintanceia".

While I do find claims regarding majority misleading and presumptions to speak on behalf of all Thais pathetic,

the evident intolerance and xenophobia presented in one of them cannot be ignored. Not a proper way to have

a discussion.

What would a Govt in exile be able to accomplish?

It depends on whether the government in exile gets international recognition and support. For example, should the UN/ASEAN recognize the government in exile, only its administration of the nation will be recognized. That might mean that coup and post-coup trade agreements, court actions, diplomacy, laws, etc. will not be recognized by the foreign community. Any international negotiations regarding Thailand would go through the government in exile and the Thailand domestic government would be ignored.

At the extreme, foreign embassies in Thailand might close and any Thailand embassies that do not recognize the government in exile may be evicted. Given some nations favor chaos in the internal affairs of other countries for their own national agendas, a Thailand government in exile might serve political leverage and concessions from the coup and post-coup government.

At this juncture it's too soon to judge the effectiveness of a Thai government in exile. If the Junta moves quickly to restore the constitution with attendent reforms, and a fair and open electroral system to re-establish a democratic process to the people, a government in exile would have little impact. But if the Junta significantly delays restoration of democracy, ie., 2 or more years, it could lend more legitimacy to the government in exile.

A case in point. After the elected President Morsi granted himself unlimited powers to "protect" the nation, and the power to legislate without judicial oversight or review of his acts), the Egyptian military overthrew the government on July 3, 2013 and suspended the constitution and appointed a national leader. New elections were announced in March 2014 to be held the end of May 2014. Given a timespan of less than one year from coup to new elections, it doesn't seem the international community has reacted too harshly with the coup leadership, albeit reduction in foreign aid and "stern warnings" for restoration of democracy.

So if the Thai military coup leaders follow a similar path to maintain nonviolent national civility and produce a constitution that does not detract from a fair and open democratic process, then there is a likelyhood of muted international criticism if it announces new elections within a year of its coup. Failure by the military coup leaders to follow that path may result in greater legitimacy to the government in exile and a national disaster for the Thai people.

Very cogent post! Many thanks - many do not understand distinction made between Egypt and Thailand, and this post explains that distinction superbly!

"Toxin" still has the support of Isaan....the REAL Thailand. He is justifiably more popular than any other political figure, including "influential" figures. The Oliver Cromwell model is the template that Thailand needs.

The 'real' Thailand? lol In point of fact I think you'll find it is closer both culturally and historically to the Khmer and Cambodia. If Thailand comes out of this split down the middle, I'd sooner see an Isaan back in the bosom of it's real family than the status quo and an unhappy Thailand. But you're right about one thing, he is very popular there. Of course he is, he bought the brainwashed masses, hook, line and sinker. And the funny thing is, not a one of them can see it. lol

Edited by daveAustin

[snip] [snip] . Pity the arrogant Americans and the other Western puppet nations and Singapore and Malaysia and the Philippines and Vietnam and China and Hong Kong and Japan and India and the United Nations and the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and Brunei and Taiwan and South Korea and the Asian Human Rights Commission cannot see the truth and sense in that instead of their coup must inly be bad blinkered narrow minded vision. Like democracies there are good and true ones and bad ones that do not carry out the majority wishes (like USA and UK as two shining examples of corporate money led power raping true democracy). Likewise there are also good and bad coups and this one IMHO is a good one with honourable intentions, unlike many of the simply stealing power permanently ones we have seen elsewhere in the world. So USA bloody well <deleted>, stop interfering and open your eyes and minds before your big mouth and see the sense in what is happening here in the circumstances this country is going through right now.

I think we should have a more complete list, do you not? It needn't be fully complete but more representative, don't you think?

I'm also a little unclear on how following the specific US law of policy towards countries switching to a military junta is "interfering". Are you suggesting the US should have no foreign policy? If not, what? Note the US never gave orders or instructions to Thailand, only stated what it hopes will happen. And don't we all hope for what the US hopes? I sure do:

John Kerry (with a long face):

I urge the restoration of civilian government immediately, a return to democracy, and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, such as press freedoms. The path forward for Thailand must include early elections that reflect the will of the people.

What in there do you not hope for, and why?

Also, the USA is not, and never has been a democracy. On purpose. It was debated at length and (irony alert!) the majority decided against it, so case settled long before you and I had any say.

anteater post# 142

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ................"collaborators"..................

Reminds me of that great show Allo Allo.

"Leestin to me very carefully, I will say this only once"......................................clap2.gif

• Like 1

The foolishness of the responses tells me that the respondents know nothing about this country despite spending all that time at a bar sipping some awful beer and ogling the merchandise. You're all well bred democrats I am sure, with a background in hypocrisy.

You speak for yourself.

• Like 2

No western country or country in security council will recognize this exile government.

If you read statement form these countries they only condemn coup and not reject junta.......

For remember Taksin is not welcome like leaders in USA, when he come in Europe authorities told him to shut is mouth

anteater post# 142

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ................"collaborators"..................

Reminds me of that great show Allo Allo.

"Leestin to me very carefully, I will say this only once"......................................clap2.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CziOVXFhwQY

Click some advertising banners here on TV website to generate some extra money for TV rewarding them for their excellent service thumbsup.gif

That's a great idea! I just whacked four, one of which I am actually interested in (splitting infinitives is like splitting wood, sometimes it;'s fun).

Bare infinitives are infinitely more fun. wink.png

A government in exile is the right step. It will show to the whole world, that the military dictatorship has no legitimacy. The government in exile must also keep the seat in the UN, another proof that the junta has no legal right and is illegal.

No western country or country in security council will recognize this exile government.

If you read statement form these countries they only condemn coup and not reject junta.......

For remember Taksin is not welcome like leaders in USA, when he come in Europe authorities told him to shut is mouth

What "this" exile government are you talking about? The one that Thaksin and/or Yingluck and/or any Shinawatra haven't set up and haven't threatened to set up and haven't commented on? That exile government?

Can you provide some details about "this exile government"? No, of course not. It's a rumour spread by Thai Visa based on a statement by a person who three days ago and two weeks ago and months ago and years ago was consistently and uniquely trashed by Thai Visa users as a lying, know-nothing mouthpiece with no authority - but who (literally) overnight became a paragon of truth and virtue to Thai Visa users.