Too ill to leave Thailand when visa expires?

What happens when you are too sick to travel when your visa runs out?

If you broke a leg and cant walk, can you get a visa exemption or something with a letter from the doc?

If you are currently on a Visa on arrival, and need to get a tourist visa from another country, to stay in thailand a bit longer, is there a procedure to follow to get an extension based on the advice of the doctor?

Or you have to jump in a wheelchair to the nearest border/airport?

You get documentation from the hospital / doctor and head (or send someone) to immigration IMMEDIATELY, you can get medical extensions without too much difficulty.

What you cannot do is hope to fix an overstay after the fact, as many have discovered you have to act at once.

• Like 1

whistling.gif As other posters have pointed out there is a procedure by which you can get a doctor's letter that you are to ill to travel.

On the other hand, a broken leg may not be enough to get such a letter.

Last month I returned from the U.S . to Thailand.

I always ask for a wheelchair as I am 67 years old and my right leg can not handle going up and down staircases and walking long distances.

So I had a wheelchair on my flight. On the same flight was a middle aged Thai woman with a broken ankle who also was in a wheelchair.

You CAN travel on a plane with a wheelchair you know.

But you will probably need to be able to walk up and down the aisles on the plane yourself. (You can use crutches)

All the rest, through the airport, is done in a wheelchair including going through immigration and picking up your luggage.

You also get priority service in a wheelchair, and they often use a lift (elevator) so you don't have to climb stairs or take escalators and/or stairs.

It can be done.

• Like 1

That is just your opinion.

I the early days of severely broken leg you might be lying on your back in the hospital. So you cannot apply what you wrote to every case.

If you get a letter from a doctor that states you cannot travel that should be enough.

• Like 1

It's very important to obtain a medical extension prior to going on overstay.

If the overstay goes too long, some immigration offices will simply tell you just wait until you can travel and do a border run to pay the overstay there. I actually know of someone who did a Mae Sai border run in a wheelchair simply to pay a 20,000 baht overstay, and get a 30 day exempt entry to start the two step process toward getting a new O visa and retirement extension -- all because he thought he could ignore the need for someone to go to immigration on his behalf while he was in hospital at the time his retirement extension expired.

By the time he actually got around to going to Chiang Mai immigration with a doctor's letter he had been discharged from the hospital for about 2 weeks (with a broken leg) and CM immigration didn't take any pity on him. Thus the need for the border run.

Yes, often private hospital will provide a customer service person to handle visa matters -- but you do have to request the service. While they make a copy of your passport upon admission they don't check your visa and make the connection that you'll need their help.

I can also confirm that Phuket immigration didnt seem to want to deal with someone who had been discharged from hospital with his letter, after the fact. They very bluntly told him to just do a border run and pay his overstay.

I found the process fairly odd, as if your unable to do a visa run its also unlikely you can get to an immigration office. It seemed in their eyes if you were able to go to the office, you were able to border un and pay your fine. Catch 22.

I was told (but never verified) that the better private hospitals will help solve this for you while your in the hospital.

There is a big difference between being able to get to an immigration office and making a border run.

If you went in after the fact with a letter stating you were still unable to travel I think they would let pay the overstay and get an extension for medical reasons.

Without a letter stating you are unable to travel I can see them telling you to do a border run or to just leave the country because the only extension you could get would be 7 days to leave the country.

I am glad this issue has attracted the viewers' attention because it has an important point.

It is not all about a broken leg but there are many illness/disability issues (i.e. such as Epilepsy, cancer, terminated illness, etc or blind, autism, etc).

I believe the exceptional circumstances from the immigration should fairly be granted for these people with genuine "human rights" reasons.

In realistic, I shall be interested to know what the immigration officers' reaction will be and how they can follow their regulations to meet these matters.

The response will be appreciated for them.

Edited by nabbie

I can also confirm that Phuket immigration didnt seem to want to deal with someone who had been discharged from hospital with his letter, after the fact. They very bluntly told him to just do a border run and pay his overstay.

I found the process fairly odd, as if your unable to do a visa run its also unlikely you can get to an immigration office. It seemed in their eyes if you were able to go to the office, you were able to border un and pay your fine. Catch 22.

I was told (but never verified) that the better private hospitals will help solve this for you while your in the hospital.

My friend was worried about this when he was admitted to the Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya earlier this year. There was a notice on the wall in his room with the procedure. I saw the notice but cannot remember the details other than the fact it would be handled by the hospital.

PS Before anyone goes on about giving them your passport. When I was admitted to Pattaya Memorial, they took my passport on admission and I did not get it back until I had paid the bill.

Edited by sandyf

When I was a Bangkok resident I went through this problem, I visited the immigration office for Bangkok and was given a medical by the resident doctor in the department. I was immediately given a 30 day extension without any problems and as it happened a further one 30 days later. Now a Chiang Mai resident and not sure if they have the same facilities, you would need to ask them.

You get documentation from the hospital / doctor and head (or send someone) to immigration IMMEDIATELY, you can get medical extensions without too much difficulty.

What you cannot do is hope to fix an overstay after the fact, as many have discovered you have to act at once.

When visiting the Immigration office I did see several times fellow's arriving in a wheal-chair pushed by their Thai wife, or friends, and the application gets completed in the normal way.

whistling.gif As other posters have pointed out there is a procedure by which you can get a doctor's letter that you are to ill to travel.

I always ask for a wheelchair as I am 67 years old and my right leg can not handle going up and down staircases and walking long distances.

So I had a wheelchair on my flight. On the same flight was a middle aged Thai woman with a broken ankle who also was in a wheelchair.

But you will probably need to be able to walk up and down the aisles on the plane yourself. (You can use crutches)

All the rest, through the airport, is done in a wheelchair including going through immigration and picking up your luggage.

You also get priority service in a wheelchair, and they often use a lift (elevator) so you don't have to climb stairs or take escalators and/or stairs.

It can be done.

I have never seen someone sitting in a wheelchair in a flight you mean the wheelchair is stored and the person has to walk to their seat.

I am glad this issue has attracted the viewers' attention because it has an important point.

It is not all about a broken leg but there are many illness/disability issues (i.e. such as Epilepsy, cancer, terminated illness, etc or blind, autism, etc).

I believe the exceptional circumstances from the immigration should fairly be granted for these people with genuine "human rights" reasons.

In realistic, I shall be interested to know what the immigration officers' reaction will be and how they can follow their regulations to meet these matters.

I will give you 2 first hand experience answers.

First time I was living in Phuket and became ill , recieved a letter from the Doctor stating I was unable to travel. Immigration had no problem collecting the 1900B for an extension of stay. I had to either leave in the 90days or get another statement from the Doctor extending my inability to travel and pay 1900B for 90 more days....gets expensive this way !

Just recently , I had to transfer my old to new passport in Jomtiem, but my retirement ext. wasn't due til June 19 ,almost 2 months later. The officer told my wife I would have to go do it in Phuket where it originated. She proceeded to point me out sitting in my Wheelchair and said it was very difficult for me to travel anymore.So the officer said he would have to contact Phuket Immigration to see if it was ok with them.Well ,next day the transfer was done, and he told her only cause I was in a WC was this change okd ! I guess as you here many times about immigration , it depends if your officer wants to do something or not to help you.

But ,if you do not go to or send someone for you to immigration before your Time is up , odds are you will not get any forgiveness from anyone at Immigration ,unless their your friend. So ,if you can't travel ,you just need a Doctor from a Hospital , some say it must be a government hospital . I used Phuket-International where I was ill & had been treated at.! So ,depends if the Officer is ok with the Hospital you use , it seems every office

has variations on a theme !

Another important issue ,always be dressed clean & proper , Shorts at beach areas ,usually ok , but be clean looking ,not like you been on a 3 day binge. I saw a Officer at Bkk Immigration ,just throw an application back at a hippie looking tourist not suitably dressed, told him to clean up or don't come back...in front of everyone in the room !

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font
  • Like 1

It can be done.

I have never seen someone sitting in a wheelchair in a flight you mean the wheelchair is stored and the person has to walk to their seat.

i have personally travelled from the us to thailand in a wheelchair and was unable to walk a single step.there is a special wheelchair on board that fits between the isles,the airline's representatives asked me if i needed (and offered)assistance in the bathroom which didn't.i waited for a real quiet moment and walked there on my knees which i could.i had two broken feet.luckily i was quite fit otherwise.the service was free btw.

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend

I've assisted many people with serious illnesses and, yes, the immigration officials do have compassion. It is inconvenient and for some people, expensive, to have to obtain a medical extension every 90 days, though, at 1900 baht a pop plus whatever costs are associated with obtaining the documents from the doctor/hospital. Some can be real sticklers about actually wanting to see (and charge) the patient every 90 days before they sign the forms, even though they know the patient couldn't have improved since the last time they saw him.

From a practical standpoint, someone with a terminal illness usually has much bigger problems than worrying about going on overstay. No one is going to deport someone who can't handle the rigors of the deportation process. But, some people have always prided themselves on being squeeky clean with their visas, 90 day reports, etc and they want to stay that way up until the end of life. It can be a hassle for their loved ones. Not every part of the country has good, reputable visa agents to handle this task.

Where the Immigration officials are less than kind is with the people with temporary handicaps, like a broken leg or illnesses where they recovered and then waltz into the Immigration office after they're discharged and on overstay thinking they should be granted an exception because they didn't think to ask someone to take care of the problem while they were still in hospital. And as mentioned, being badly dressed and groomed and/or copping a 'tude doesn't help either.

No problem with the stairs -- send someone up to the office on your behalf with the documents while you wait downstairs, maybe in the comfort of an aircon vehicle. Ask the I/O to kindly come downstairs to see the applicant in the vehicle. They do it all the time with the people I assist in Chiang Mai and there aren't even very many stairs -- just a waiting room that resembles the black hole of Calcutta in terms of the number of people it holds.

No problem with the stairs -- send someone up to the office on your behalf with the documents while you wait downstairs, maybe in the comfort of an aircon vehicle. Ask the I/O to kindly come downstairs to see the applicant in the vehicle. They do it all the time with the people I assist in Chiang Mai and there aren't even very many stairs -- just a waiting room that resembles the black hole of Calcutta in terms of the number of people it holds.

Thanks for that. I was hoping that would happen.

They know my partner well over the past 6 years.

Then again there can be a total staff turnover occasionally.

i am familiar with someone that, just yesterday, was given an extension because of extensive dental work that

would not be completed before 30 day no-visa ran out. was given a form at immigration that had to be filled

out by the dentist. i don't know what other paperwork was required, if any.

Good luck attending Phuket Immi in a wheelchair - it's upstairs.

I'll have to face this next extension.

No problem at Phuket immigration.

They have a call button downstairs after which a officer or immigration volunteer comes down to help you.

No need to go upstairs in case you can't go up the stairs as he will take care of all the paperwork.