Good news everybody! Ban Phu Nam open for business.

Just got back from Ban Phu nam border crossing. No issues what so ever they were very nice. It took about 20 minutes back and forth into Burma. I have 4 years worth of Tourists visas and extensions I got a 30 day on arrival. Cost is still 900baht but they do all the paperwork and drive you up to the Burmese side. Side note its a beautiful motorbike ride no traffic. Border closes at 5 but they stay open until everyone is processed.

• Like 1

Sorry just trying to help those who are having problems with border crossings. If someone needs the contact info just PM me I will give it to you. I do not endorse and have not used the company myself I live close to the border so I just do it myself.

^^ Depends where you live, obviously.

More convenient for me too, living in BKK. Poipet or Nam Rawn, both same day bike rides, to Nam Rawn is nicer, and slightly closer. Paying the scammers 400b for nothing sticks in my throat though, and no it's not about the money. First time I went it was 700b paid now or they don't take my passport and won't let me leave. They were very aggressive about me giving them 700b cash now. I just said that no, I pay for the Burmese stamp at the Burmese border, this made them blow up. Had my passport thrown at me and told to F Off ('Bai Loi') that was the officer. The agent kind of laughing just said look, you need to get the stamp today right, unfortunately yes. I said fine but I'm riding my bike to the Burmese Office with my own passport, paid and went.

Last time I went it was 900b. I told them that no last it was 700b and I'm taking my motorbike over. He just agreed while his assistant was going kind of mental, he insisted on sitting as a pillion and going with me. Fine. We got on well in the end and they loved my bike and he loved me opening it up on the empty road between (before the sand and rock hill).

What will happen in 2 weeks time? I'll play it polite and keep 700 in my wallet with the rest in my pocket and tell them that is all I have, it was 700b the last two times I came.

Not the money, I just hate scamming 'officials' trying to rob you of anything. And no it isn't for 'transportation' as I've read before, I've my own bike and rode across there both times.

More convenient for me too, living in BKK. Poipet or Nam Rawn, both same day bike rides, to Nam Rawn is nicer, and slightly closer. Paying the scammers 400b for nothing sticks in my throat though, and no it's not about the money. First time I went it was 700b paid now or they don't take my passport and won't let me leave. They were very aggressive about me giving them 700b cash now. I just said that no, I pay for the Burmese stamp at the Burmese border, this made them blow up. Had my passport thrown at me and told to F Off ('Bai Loi') that was the officer. The agent kind of laughing just said look, you need to get the stamp today right, unfortunately yes. I said fine but I'm riding my bike to the Burmese Office with my own passport, paid and went.

Last time I went it was 900b. I told them that no last it was 700b and I'm taking my motorbike over. He just agreed while his assistant was going kind of mental, he insisted on sitting as a pillion and going with me. Fine. We got on well in the end and they loved my bike and he loved me opening it up on the empty road between (before the sand and rock hill).

What will happen in 2 weeks time? I'll play it polite and keep 700 in my wallet with the rest in my pocket and tell them that is all I have, it was 700b the last two times I came.

Not the money, I just hate scamming 'officials' trying to rob you of anything. And no it isn't for 'transportation' as I've read before, I've my own bike and rode across there both times.

Although I agree with you, on the other hand this border seems to be continuing to allow border runners with no crackdown in sight. Therefore, if there's a choice between going to this border and paying a bit of money or going to another border where they are cracking down, I'd know which option I'd choose.

However, I think if you're polite and stand your ground it's still possible to get away with paying a lower amount.

• Like 1

You're right, the fee is nothing to do with transportation.

I went there in my car and drove myself across the border to the Myanmar checkpoint both times before driving back.

The first time I went across I had two passengers. The 'helper' and some Burmese policeman who wanted a lift back across the no mans land between the offices.

• Like 1

Haha I was on this crossing about 1,5 months ago couple of Loatian workers were on the border minibus with us aswell. They only had to pay 150bht, for the white people it was 900bht.

Sorry but it's not a race based thing like you think (fortunately not).

Actually it's because there is a reciprocal visa exemption between the two countries (Myanmar and Laos). However, I'm surprised that land borders are now allowing these visa exemptions because as of last November, Vietnamese citizens (who since October or something could enter Myanmar visa free for up to 14 days) could only enter visa-free when flying in to Myanmar. There has been talk of opening up the 4 land borders to citizens of countries that don't require a visa for air arrivals to land arrivals too. Also, land borders may soon allow visa-on-arrival facilities for citizens of other nations too. Thailand has been named, but not yet been included in the list of nations that are eligible for visa exemptions mainly due to the Thai political situation.

I went there in my car and drove myself across the border to the Myanmar checkpoint both times before driving back.

The first time I went across I had two passengers. The 'helper' and some Burmese policeman who wanted a lift back across the no mans land between the offices.

How much did you pay? If I went across that border without a Myanmar visa in advance (meaning I came for a border run) I too would be driving my car between the two checkpoints. That's pretty cool because normally Thai cars can only exit Thailand with advance permission from the owner, finance company (who is unlikely to give permission except if going on a tour).

Edited by Tomtomtom69

When I went in January it was only 700 and we drove in also(For the novelty). There really is nothing there give it a few years being open it will be a gateway. The roads are well maintained all the way up except for a small road work patch and the directions are easy RRL. The scenery is very nice I poked down a few roads on my way home found a couple lakes,rivers and Wats. My guess is that 900baht is the going rate(My general impression is that it is a monopoly). It went from 500,700 to 900. Yes, You can make a scene and get mouthy with them about the charge but I rather lose a few baht knowing that the success rate is really high vs pissing off the guy stamping the passports. This saved me a very big hassle and a long trip to Savanakat. Where that baht goes I really don't care a visa run out of Bkk to Cambodia still costs you 2k and is a lot farther away. As I mentioned before its a nice ride with little or no traffic 90% of the way coming out of Kburi. I have 10 different border crossings and this one has to be the easiest in the 4 years I have been in Thailand. No lines, no stink eye just a smile. Burmese and other regional nationals only pay 150 because its a neighboring country and they also have to put up with 3 checkpoints worth of hassles. We get a wave they get a search plus interrogation.

Edited by BigRick
  • Like 1

How much did you pay? If I went across that border without a Myanmar visa in advance (meaning I came for a border run) I too would be driving my car between the two checkpoints. That's pretty cool because normally Thai cars can only exit Thailand with advance permission from the owner, finance company (who is unlikely to give permission except if going on a tour).

I paid the same as everyone else, having my own car didn't make any difference.

They didn't ask to see the car documents but it's in my name anyway (cash purchase) so presumably that wouldn't have made any difference.

You are entering into "No Names Land" hence the posts above.

Cars/Motorbikes have been let in, but for how long ? I do not know.

Win from Kan thumbsup.gif

P.S. And good luck to all of you wai.gif

I don't think that the normal rules of making sure documents are in order for your vehicle apply in the case of this border crossing. That's because permission to exit is irrelevant if you're just going on a border run - there is as you say a chunk of no man's land and very little public transportation. If there's an official that goes with you inside your car or on the back of your motorcycle, then they can guarantee that your car or motorbike won't be going to Myanmar and not coming back. On the other hand, even with permission that is satisfactory from Thai customs, Myanmar won't allow Thai cars to go past their checkpoint. The only exceptions are vehicles involved in the construction of the highway to Dawei (I think they're Italian-Thai vehicles) and vehicles going on a caravan tour with advance permission from Myanmar's MTT.

• Like 1

I paid the same as everyone else, having my own car didn't make any difference.

They didn't ask to see the car documents but it's in my name anyway (cash purchase) so presumably that wouldn't have made any difference.

I already knew that, because given this crossing's remoteness and lack of public transportation, as well as the fact that Myanmar officials won't let the car into the country i.e. past the checkpoint (even if it's in your name, you have a power of attorney, car passport etc.) is the reason they're not going to make a fuss about not having any documents for temporary export - because they aren't required. That is to say your car isn't officially exiting Thailand! That's why. So a car on finance can still go to the Myanmar crossing at Htee Khee, because the usual rules applied elsewhere don't apply there.

Similarly, I have traveled in Thai vehicles on finance, that weren't given permission to leave Thailand, to travel to the Lao side of the bridge, but NOT beyond Lao customs. That's because if the Thai side (customs) allows you to leave with the car, then you can leave, but the Lao side won't let the car enter the country officially (due to a lack of proper documentation, i.e. car passport). Therefore, that option is only used by customs employees on the Thai side or in very rare cases, others who have received permission (generally speaking they must have an existing relationship with Thai customs to be allowed to do this). Even then in both cases, your car would have to return to Thailand the same day and thus this option is only for picking up/dropping off passengers and/or goods. It's an option that is generally employed by the visa run companies too (their vans could well be on finance too but since they aren't officially exiting Thailand, they are permitted to cross the bridge).

Edited by Tomtomtom69

When I went in January it was only 700 and we drove in also(For the novelty). There really is nothing there give it a few years being open it will be a gateway. The roads are well maintained all the way up except for a small road work patch and the directions are easy RRL. The scenery is very nice I poked down a few roads on my way home found a couple lakes,rivers and Wats. My guess is that 900baht is the going rate(My general impression is that it is a monopoly). It went from 500,700 to 900. Yes, You can make a scene and get mouthy with them about the charge but I rather lose a few baht knowing that the success rate is really high vs pissing off the guy stamping the passports. This saved me a very big hassle and a long trip to Savanakat. Where that baht goes I really don't care a visa run out of Bkk to Cambodia still costs you 2k and is a lot farther away. As I mentioned before its a nice ride with little or no traffic 90% of the way coming out of Kburi. I have 10 different border crossings and this one has to be the easiest in the 4 years I have been in Thailand. No lines, no stink eye just a smile. Burmese and other regional nationals only pay 150 because its a neighboring country and they also have to put up with 3 checkpoints worth of hassles. We get a wave they get a search plus interrogation.

I am quite sure that the amounts charged reflect a visa waiver agreement with a number of ASEAN nations, most of which have only gone into force quite recently. I could be wrong, but I believe Cambodians are also exempt from Myanmar visas as are Filipinos (in addition to Lao and Vietnamese). Burmese shouldn't be paying anything as they are heading back to their own country. No idea why they would pay 150 Baht when they don't need a stamp in their passports. Thai immigration might scam them for 20 Baht or something per stamp, but that's not an official fee. I have seen that process occur to some nationals of regional countries, mainly at the Lao borders. Vietnamese might be asked for 20-40 Baht for a stamp (sometimes more) but westerners and nationals of other non-regional countries are stamped in for free. Thais entering Laos at the main Tha Deua crossing near Vientiane (1st Friendship Bridge) are asked to pay 40 Baht for the ticket, whereas Swiss pay only 5 Baht or 1000 Kip. Also, if you're driving, no need to pay that ticket fee at all, even if you're Thai as you get stamped in at a different place next to the customs barrier.

I noticed the same thing at the Vietnamese border heading into Laos - all the Vietnamese were placing 10,000-20,000 Dong in their passports to get a stamp. I didn't (nor was I asked to) and I don't understand why all the Vietnamese there instinctively do that (why don't they wait until they're asked, or just not pay...after all, there is not supposed to be a stamping fee just to be allowed to enter/leave a country other than visa fees or those "official" overtime fees that are posted).

No you're not heading into No Man's Land.

The Thai border gates that allow you through are about 1-2km before the actual border. That land is Thailand. You will also see Thai rangers there that check the people coming in and around there. At 2km, just after them, you enter Burmese land and then ride up to the Burmese office.

I used to ride there on my bike long before it was an official crossing, and you would ride 2km past where the Thai immigration office is now, and straight up to the Burmese border post, at which point you couldn't go farther.

• Like 1

Since Myanmar drives on the right (as a result of a dumb decision made in 1970) does one drive on the left all the way to the Burmese checkpoint, or start drifting to the right somewhere half way? I think due to the lack of traffic and the fact your vehicle is never "officially" entering Myanmar anyway all traffic should stick to the left, but that's just my opinion as I haven't been there. Anyway, I can't imagine there being more than like 10 vehicles traveling on the road between the two checkpoints everyday.

Since Myanmar drives on the right (as a result of a dumb decision made in 1970) does one drive on the left all the way to the Burmese checkpoint, or start drifting to the right somewhere half way? I think due to the lack of traffic and the fact your vehicle is never "officially" entering Myanmar anyway all traffic should stick to the left, but that's just my opinion as I haven't been there. Anyway, I can't imagine there being more than like 10 vehicles traveling on the road between the two checkpoints everyday.

Yes, there are a few cones after the checkpoint. Where the minivan moves to right lane going into Myanmar, and the odd vehicles going across Thai border are oncoming in the left (lane).

They're building a road across the country which should open up easy travel to Dawei on the west coast.

This is when things will get interesting. Apart from a a few people making the trip across land to Dawei on motorbikes I haven't heard much about travel to this region in the south of Myanmar.

It's a dirt track road from what I've seen so during the rainy season I would think most of it will be unpassable. Things should change in a few years time assuming they ever get that road built.

• Like 1

They're building a road across the country which should open up easy travel to Dawei on the west coast.

This is when things will get interesting. Apart from a a few people making the trip across land to Dawei on motorbikes I haven't heard much about travel to this region in the south of Myanmar.

It's a dirt track road from what I've seen so during the rainy season I would think most of it will be unpassable. Things should change in a few years time assuming they ever get that road built.

Each time I've gone (I've gone there maybe 6 times over the last 4 years on bike rides) I'm surprised at the size and development of the road they're building to go out there, especially since it opened as an official border.

Within 2-3 years they will have a pristine mammoth of a highway going there, and supposedly beyond. Now the roadworks are up to the final big turn off, 30km or so away.

You can travel that way with a Myanmar visa in your passport. The road to Dawei and down to Myeik (and of course up to Moulmein and Yangon etc.) is open now, so go there and see for yourself.

Most people travel to Dawei by minivan, not motorbikes. It's a 140km journey along some bumpy and twisty roads BTW, not the most comfortable on a motorcycle, especially the small scooters most locals own! I hear that the first 20-30 or so km is in excellent condition though as Italian-Thai has started upgrading the road.

Back in February, I suggested to a European couple to travel that way. Apart from a minor misunderstanding in Kanchanaburi when they were put on a bus to the "Phu Nam Ron" or hot springs near Sai Yok where they lost a day and then decided to stay in Kanchanaburi for 2 further nights, they eventually caught the correct songthaew to "Dan Phu Nam Ron" where they hopped on a minivan to Dawei and then up to Moulmein, Yangon (I presume) and then Hpa-an to Myawady and back to Thailand via Mae Sot.

• Like 1

Each time I've gone (I've gone there maybe 6 times over the last 4 years on bike rides) I'm surprised at the size and development of the road they're building to go out there, especially since it opened as an official border.

Within 2-3 years they will have a pristine mammoth of a highway going there, and supposedly beyond. Now the roadworks are up to the final big turn off, 30km or so away.

The final blueprint calls for an expressway from Bang Yai (in Nonthaburi province) starting from the western outer ring road via Kanchanaburi to Dawei via Phu Nam Ron. This expressway would eventually be 8 lanes for the entire 350 odd km between Bangkok and Dawei. The original plan was to finish the expressway by 2015. While I highly doubt this deadline will be met (besides, I have yet to see any evidence of the expressway section between Bang Yai and Kanchanaburi taking shape, a section that is desperately needed).

• Like 1

Yes, there are a few cones after the checkpoint. Where the minivan moves to right lane going into Myanmar, and the odd vehicles going across Thai border are oncoming in the left (lane).

Obviously after the Burmese checkpoint all traffic moves on the right. However, which checkpoint are you referring to? I thought that the first 1-2km after the Thai checkpoint was still Thai territory (according to another poster) and thus traffic should still be traveling on the left at least up until that point. If there is no clear consensus or agreement between the two, as the more powerful and dominant country, traffic should drive on the side of the road that Thailand drives on, which is the left.