Finance seeks Bt50-bn term loans to pay off Thai rice farmers

webfact

Can somebody explain something to me please (really!). I'm not a political scientist or a law grad so maybe I just don't understand but I remember reading here a few days ago (Friday maybe?) that the rice farmers would be paid on Monday? The government has been toppled rightly or wrongly and the senate disbanded and the military is in total control of the country. Does the military have a Finance Ministry?

No, but Thailand does.

Steve (?) I wasn't being facetious or anything but the senate and parliament has been dissolved, I'm not understanding how there are ministries for anything

Sorry, didn't mean to sound demeaning!!

OK, even though the personnel running the ministries (cabinet ministers and their assistants) have been removed the ministries do not disappear - they are relying on the civil servants that operate the departments to carry on as usual to ensure that everything (the workings of government) continues to run unimpeded, as before.

OKay, many thanks!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing for sure, there is no way that either Suthep or the Dems will be able to stop the army from getting loans. If they try to bully willing lenders as they did with Yingluck, the army will come down on them like a ton of bricks

cheesy.gif

Why would Suthep or the Democrats try to stop the Army doing anything ? The red dribblers on TV keep telling us that they are on the same side. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Can somebody explain something to me please (really!). I'm not a political scientist or a law grad so maybe I just don't understand but I remember reading here a few days ago (Friday maybe?) that the rice farmers would be paid on Monday? The government has been toppled rightly or wrongly and the senate disbanded and the military is in total control of the country. Does the military have a Finance Ministry?

No, but there is this: Thai Military Bank (TMB) and guess who a Director is?

General Prayuth Chan-ocha has been a Director of the TMB since October 7, 2010.

Only the other hand, the military doesn't need a Finance Ministry. They have recently commandeered one including a lot more gubmint stuff.

• Like 1

Only the other hand, the military doesn't need a Finance Ministry. They have recently commandeered one including a lot more gubmint stuff.

You must still be used to living under the thaksin regime. Times have changed.

Transparency is not a swell catch phrase anymore. It is a serious byproduct of this coup.

Finance deputy permanent secretary Pongpanu Sawettaroon on Monday signed a letter of invitation to 32 financial institutions to join a bid to offer loans totally 50 billion baht to be used to settle overdue payments with rice farmers under the rice pledging scheme.

​The military are in command of all the ministries. So the original Finance ministry is still there, albeit being directed by the Junta now and not the PTP.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/finance-ministry-starts-process-seek-loans-pay-farmers/

Edited by djjamie

Will this mean another run at the banks by the Bangkok people, if the banks decide to just hand out money to the farmers just from out of the blue?

No, this will not happen again, there is now a sensible junta administration, moreover Thai banks will not get involved in silly financial activities.

Sensible administration? They took power 6 x 24 hours ago. You are a quick auditor: apply at Price Waterhouse & Cooper!

I garantuee you it'll take a while to show but this admin. will be far from sensible. It will be more mess.

This is a strange reply, because you are bound to have no knowledge for knowing that the junta will create messy activities, also bear in mind that the King approved the junta's political take over in order to sort out the current political problems in the country.

Many, if not most, countries operate on borrowed money. A ฿50 billion loan is not out of the question. Currently, the Debt to GDP ratio is much lower than many countries.

The difficulty for Thailand and especially for the new administration in trying to increase it's debt, is it's financial credibility.

some may find this amusing/worrying : http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Edited by attento

You must still be used to living under the thaksin regime. Times have changed.

Transparency is not a swell catch phrase anymore. It is a serious byproduct of this coup.

Finance deputy permanent secretary Pongpanu Sawettaroon on Monday signed a letter of invitation to 32 financial institutions to join a bid to offer loans totally 50 billion baht to be used to settle overdue payments with rice farmers under the rice pledging scheme.

​The military are in command of all the ministries. So the original Finance ministry is still there, albeit being directed by the Junta now and not the PTP.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/finance-ministry-starts-process-seek-loans-pay-farmers/

Thai Live Tuesday:

Posted Today, 16:47

RT @tulsathit: All of a sudden, Finance Ministry, long quiet over rice pledging scheme, has said it caused Bt500 billion loss.

• Like 1

What a coincidence... wink.png

• Like 1

Sorry for dumb question. What business of a Government is it anyway to buy rice from farmers?

As someone mentioned earlier: to buy votes. But it's still a good question. Ideally government shouldn't meddle in the marketplace beyond perhaps aiding transactions and setting some regulations and guidelines.

Thailand tries so hard to copy the US, so when it sees US micro-managing ag, then it (Thailand) thinks it should do the same. Plus, when you start manipulating something, then you've got a hand in the money trail, so there are opportunities to get rewards for yourself and friends. Government loves to exert control. That's why half the bureaucrats in Thailand are basically pushing paper from one side of their desk to another, and their pit bosses have a slew of rubber stamps arrayed across their desks. Translated: Bureaucracy is a bloated make-work and pretend-to-work facade. Government produces less products and services than Wall Street money managers, and Wall St. and Fleet St. and others like that, produce essentially nothing at all.

Will this mean another run at the banks by the Bangkok people, if the banks decide to just hand out money to the farmers just from out of the blue?

No, this will not happen again, there is now a sensible junta administration, moreover Thai banks will not get involved in silly financial activities.

Sensible junta?????

I think world history has shown this to be an oxymoron.

Yeah something similar to sensible

posts here on TV

So what wasn't possible for various reasons a few months ago, is all possible today ?

We will see, said the blind guy.

Before the government had caretaker status and was not allowed incur liabilities by raising/borrowing funds to pay the farmers.

Sure, we know that same government had disregarded laws before but this time, under caretaker status, they could not do that anymore.

You will also remember that Suthep called on all banks to not provide funds to the government and also staged protests

at Government Savings Bank branches.One bank (forgot which one right now, or was it GSB?) that did consider loaning the government, soon saw

customers withdrawing lots of funds. That bank then backed out.

Perhaps PTP was unwilling to pay the farmers quickly, but they (later) also had opposition (Suthep/Democrats) blocking them,

and they also had laws blocking/prohibiting them.

Then there is martial law and the General calls all parties in for a meeting. But nobody wants to back down, give in, compromise.

Now, when you have a situation where there is a government with supporters on one side, opposition parties with supporters on the other side,

both parties trying to block each other physically or through judicial system (with investigation probes and filing court cases for impeachment/LM/corruption cases etc)

and threaten with violent clashes, not cooperating, not compromising etc...what do you? A coup.

And now those laws are not in effect anymore and the coup leader can do and order anything he wants, not being hindered by

any laws and not even the Constitution.

You are wasting your time with this concise explanation as this message doesn't seem to penetrate the red's skulls and circumnavigates their brains!! They simply don't get it, no matter how many times it is laid out before them.

"After former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra dissolved the House of Representatives late last year and the government took on a caretaker role, which was prolonged by the failure to elect a new government in February, it was unable to raise all of the tens of billions of baht it owed farmers under the pledging project."

so isn't the Nation supporting the myth that the PTP Government was prevented from fulfilling its promises? Somehow it seems to be glossing over the months before the government was dissolved?

The initial view of foreign countries about the Thai coup was seen as a violent military activity but this did not take place.

The junta has been approved by the King, and the upcoming political activities will be outlined by a team of top professional advisers in order to start a new election for top democratic country.

??? Not in any foreign news I saw.

So what wasn't possible for various reasons a few months ago, is all possible today ?

Before the government had caretaker status and was not allowed incur liabilities by raising/borrowing funds to pay the farmers.

Sure, we know that same government had disregarded laws before but this time, under caretaker status, they could not do that anymore.

You will also remember that Suthep called on all banks to not provide funds to the government and also staged protests

at Government Savings Bank branches.One bank (forgot which one right now, or was it GSB?) that did consider loaning the government, soon saw

Perhaps PTP was unwilling to pay the farmers quickly, but they (later) also had opposition (Suthep/Democrats) blocking them,

Then there is martial law and the General calls all parties in for a meeting. But nobody wants to back down, give in, compromise.

Now, when you have a situation where there is a government with supporters on one side, opposition parties with supporters on the other side,

both parties trying to block each other physically or through judicial system (with investigation probes and filing court cases for impeachment/LM/corruption cases etc)

and threaten with violent clashes, not cooperating, not compromising etc...what do you? A coup.

And now those laws are not in effect anymore and the coup leader can do and order anything he wants, not being hindered by

Are you never in a situation where you just want everybody to shut up and tie them to a chair and gag them and wipe everything from the table

and tell them how it is going to be?

When the general called in all those parties for a meeting to get funds to immediately pay the farmers (good strategic move by the way),

I am sure it went something along the lines of:"I am TELLING you, not ASKING you, to get me that money today".

Total trash.

So you can stop with your silly red rhetoric, as it no longer works on this forum any more.

The rice scam and the delayed payments are the exclusive responsibility of the Thaksin led PTP government and no amount of twisting and spin will even fool uneducated farmers let alone educated westerners.

What red rhetoric?

I don't do rhetoric.

And I am not pro or anti Red.

I responded to JesseFrank who mentioned "a few months ago" in his post. In my post I briefly summarized the situation and highlights in those "few months"

regarding the non payment of farmers for pledged rice.

I did not bother to post about how the PTP government did or did not try to not pay the rice farmers because that was longer than "a few months" ago.

Then I continue about how now, under the current coup situation, all is suddenly possible and easily arranged, Well at least paying the rice farmers.

The main point being: there are now no rules, laws, regulations, procedures etc, no opposition parties, to hinder payment of the rice farmer,

because Gen. Prayuth, lord and ruler during this coup, has gotten rid of all those rules, laws etc and opposition. Nothing has to go through parliament or senate.

The yellow and red leaders and politicians all look the same to me: all dishonest and self-serving to some extent.

Edited by arminbkk

Are you never in a situation where you just want everybody to shut up and tie them to a chair and gag them and wipe everything from the table

and tell them how it is going to be?

When the general called in all those parties for a meeting to get funds to immediately pay the farmers (good strategic move by the way),

I am sure it went something along the lines of:"I am TELLING you, not ASKING you, to get me that money today".

Total trash.

So you can stop with your silly red rhetoric, as it no longer works on this forum any more.

The rice scam and the delayed payments are the exclusive responsibility of the Thaksin led PTP government and no amount of twisting and spin will even fool uneducated farmers let alone educated westerners.

What red rhetoric?

I don't do rhetoric.

And I am not pro or anti Red.

I responded to JesseFrank who mentioned "a few months ago" in his post. In my post I briefly summarized the situation and highlights in those "few months"

regarding the non payment of farmers for pledged rice.

I did not bother to post about how the PTP government did or did not try to not pay the rice farmers because that was longer than "a few months" ago.

Then I continue about how now, under the current coup situation, all is suddenly possible and easily arranged, Well at least paying the rice farmers.

The main point being: there are now no rules, laws, regulations, procedures etc, no opposition parties, to hinder payment of the rice farmer,

because Gen. Prayuth, lord and ruler during this coup, has gotten rid of all those rules, laws etc and opposition. Nothing has to go through parliament or senate.

The yellow and red leaders and politicians all look the same to me: all dishonest and self-serving to some extent.

......................"And I am not pro or anti Red."...........................

whistling.gif That's what they all say, and they are usually red to the core.

The initial view of foreign countries about the Thai coup was seen as a violent military activity but this did not take place.

The junta has been approved by the King, and the upcoming political activities will be outlined by a team of top professional advisers in order to start a new election for top democratic country.

Well, perhaps Arsene Wenger can give you additional foreign news info about this matter... Ha, ha, ha.

Well, perhaps "Arsene Wenger" can provide you additional foreign news info about this matter, Ha, ha, ha.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Here we go again. There are big declamations on how fast they will pay the farmers, but, of course, there is no money in the budget. Is it just not the same what the government did?? Empty promises??

Obviously, Thailand has no money. This is why the government was struggling to pay the farmers ready cash.

Eastern logic. Stop all tourism. That will save a lot in transportation costs. Close the bars. That will force the people to not spend the money.

Here we go again. There are big declamations on how fast they will pay the farmers, but, of course, there is no money in the budget. Is it just not the same what the government did?? Empty promises??

Obviously, Thailand has no money. This is why the government was struggling to pay the farmers ready cash.

Don't you read the news??

The BAAC is already well into dishing out about half of the outstanding money from it's reserves.

The rest, will be forthcoming from the banks in loans (legal ones whereby the banks are very interested in taking part) and EVERYONE WILL BE paid out before the end of June!!!

General Prayuth has the means at his disposal to implement this and is not a deceitful liar whereas the PTP didn't and were perpetual liars.

No more silly posts on this please as it has been explained to you now!!!

RED IS DEAD.

• Like 1

The BAAC is already well into dishing out about half of the outstanding money from it's reserves.

The rest, will be forthcoming from the banks in loans (legal ones whereby the banks are very interested in taking part) and EVERYONE WILL BE paid out before the end of June!!!

General Prayuth has the means at his disposal to implement this and is not a deceitful liar whereas the PTP didn't and were perpetual liars.

RED IS DEAD.

You are a funny boy. Wait and see. cheesy.gif

RED IS DEAD.

Quote from the Asian news network

"Thailand's Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) is preparing a 55-billion baht (US$1.7 billion) budget from its reserves and the Farmers Assistance Fund to pay farmers owed under the rice-pledging scheme, starting tomorrow.

BAAC president Luck Wajananawat said as the Constitution has been suspended, the bank could disburse from its reserves and the farmers' fund to pay farmers at the earliest following orders from the National Council for Peace and Order.

The ousted government was able to pay about 100 billion baht to the farmers until now, but another 90 billion baht is still owed to 80,000 farmers. Luck added that the bank would also encourage financial institutions to offer loans for paying outstanding dues to the farmers under the rice-pledging scheme to ensure that every farmer gets his money within 15-20 days.

Meanwhile, Air Chief Marshal Prajin Jantong, who heads the economic ministries, is scheduled to meet high level officers of the Finance Ministry, the Bank of Thailand, and financial institutions. They will discuss urgent economic issues, including finding money to pay farmers, economic stimulus measures and budget disbursement for fiscal year 2014-15. The Thai economy has been seriously impacted by the prolonged political crisis for half a year.

Former Phitsanulok Democrat MP Warong Dechgitvigrom hailed Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha for his swift action to pay farmers the debts the Yingluck government owed them for the rice they had pledged. He said Prayuth had ordered Finance Ministry officials to work during the weekend to clear the long over-due debts within 15-20 days, as farmers across the country faced financial difficulties.

"The Yingluck government designed this policy in a bid to woo voters, corrupted and garnered support from vested-interest groups through the whole process of the pledging scheme,'' he said.

He urged Prayuth to further provide farmers assistance in reducing the cost of fertilisers and pesticides.

Prayuth told Friday's meeting of agency heads that funds had been partly allocated to repay debt owed to rice farmers under the ousted government's rice-pledging scheme. He expressed confidence that within 15-20 days the debts should be repaid.

Kittisak Rattanawaraha, chairman of the Northern Farmer Networks expressed confidence that Prayuth, who is in charge of the country's administration with full authority, would be able to find 100 billion baht for the debt the government owed to farmers.

The caretaker Yingluck government was unable to seek loans to pay farmers for rice pledged under the government's populist scheme due to legal obstacles faced as a result of being a caretaker government.

Kittisak, however, expressed concern that more than 90 per cent of farmers may not have enough money to pay debts. He said during the eight-month period that the caretaker government had failed to pay farmers the money, they were forced to seek shark loans in order to pay for daily expenses and to pay for supplies such as pesticides and fertilisers to continue their rice plantation.

More than 300 farmers from Phitsanulok and representatives of kamnan and village heads of 17 northern provinces submitted a letter to the Phitsanulok governor, showing their support for Prayuth. They thanked Prayuth for his swift action in paying the farmers and his promise to maintain the kamnan and village heads institution in the country's administration.

A group of 20 Chiang Mai residents handed soldiers food and supplies in a show of support to the military at Kalawin camp in Muang district. A group of doctors and nurses in Kalasin also presented food and supplies to soldiers through the Kalasin governor".

• Like 1

RED IS DEAD.

Quote from the Asian news network

"Thailand's Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) is preparing a 55-billion baht (US$1.7 billion) budget from its reserves and the Farmers Assistance Fund to pay farmers owed under the rice-pledging scheme, starting tomorrow.

BAAC president Luck Wajananawat said as the Constitution has been suspended, the bank could disburse from its reserves and the farmers' fund to pay farmers at the earliest following orders from the National Council for Peace and Order.

The ousted government was able to pay about 100 billion baht to the farmers until now, but another 90 billion baht is still owed to 80,000 farmers. Luck added that the bank would also encourage financial institutions to offer loans for paying outstanding dues to the farmers under the rice-pledging scheme to ensure that every farmer gets his money within 15-20 days.

Meanwhile, Air Chief Marshal Prajin Jantong, who heads the economic ministries, is scheduled to meet high level officers of the Finance Ministry, the Bank of Thailand, and financial institutions. They will discuss urgent economic issues, including finding money to pay farmers, economic stimulus measures and budget disbursement for fiscal year 2014-15. The Thai economy has been seriously impacted by the prolonged political crisis for half a year.

Former Phitsanulok Democrat MP Warong Dechgitvigrom hailed Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha for his swift action to pay farmers the debts the Yingluck government owed them for the rice they had pledged. He said Prayuth had ordered Finance Ministry officials to work during the weekend to clear the long over-due debts within 15-20 days, as farmers across the country faced financial difficulties.

"The Yingluck government designed this policy in a bid to woo voters, corrupted and garnered support from vested-interest groups through the whole process of the pledging scheme,'' he said.

He urged Prayuth to further provide farmers assistance in reducing the cost of fertilisers and pesticides.

Prayuth told Friday's meeting of agency heads that funds had been partly allocated to repay debt owed to rice farmers under the ousted government's rice-pledging scheme. He expressed confidence that within 15-20 days the debts should be repaid.

Kittisak Rattanawaraha, chairman of the Northern Farmer Networks expressed confidence that Prayuth, who is in charge of the country's administration with full authority, would be able to find 100 billion baht for the debt the government owed to farmers.

The caretaker Yingluck government was unable to seek loans to pay farmers for rice pledged under the government's populist scheme due to legal obstacles faced as a result of being a caretaker government.

Kittisak, however, expressed concern that more than 90 per cent of farmers may not have enough money to pay debts. He said during the eight-month period that the caretaker government had failed to pay farmers the money, they were forced to seek shark loans in order to pay for daily expenses and to pay for supplies such as pesticides and fertilisers to continue their rice plantation.

More than 300 farmers from Phitsanulok and representatives of kamnan and village heads of 17 northern provinces submitted a letter to the Phitsanulok governor, showing their support for Prayuth. They thanked Prayuth for his swift action in paying the farmers and his promise to maintain the kamnan and village heads institution in the country's administration.

A group of 20 Chiang Mai residents handed soldiers food and supplies in a show of support to the military at Kalawin camp in Muang district. A group of doctors and nurses in Kalasin also presented food and supplies to soldiers through the Kalasin governor".

I have never denied that the new rulers of the country are not trying to pay out the farmers, but there are the regular Thai style promises we have already got used to.

Also, when there is no freedom of speech I don't give notice to news. Are you really listening to the news report from a dictatorial country?? Do you believe everything you hear from the Laotian, Burmese or the North Korean government? Man, wake up.

These are nice stories, and it's great to see that the army follows what the Yingluck government already started. However, the reality is that the other side has NO voice at all, so we can't see the real picture.

Your ignorance and lack of understanding is disturbing!!!

and persistent i might add.....

And love of freedom I might add, ohh, and fairness and chance to the people.

Edited by garrya

The last coup resulted in several financial gaffs.....are they going to do it again?

How is paying a debt owed by the Thai government to some of its poorest citizens a gaffe? The rice pledging scheme wasn't a gaffe either, it was designed to buy votes and enable access to power and corruption with total disregard of the damage it was likely to cause, so that Thaksin's stooges could arrange his amnesty.

"The Yingluck government designed this policy in a bid to woo voters, corrupted and garnered support from vested-interest groups through the whole process of the pledging scheme.''

• Like 1

Your ignorance and lack of understanding is disturbing!!!

So as yours!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder if you would expect a system like this in your mother country.

You aren't in your mother country; why would you expect things to be the same?

• Like 1

As long as the banks are not breaking any laws, there shouldn't be a problem.