Smart TV Stupid Me.

Issangeorge

My 50" Samsung TV has crashed and needs to be replaced. I'd like another 50" + or - a bit and would like to stay around ฿30,000 maybe a little higher for something of great value. I am interested in a smart TV, but am not sure exactly what it will do and for sure what ones to look for. Any help would be appreciated. I have read the other posts, but most of them don't really address my question. I don't really want 3d, but that seems to come with the smart TVs. I want one that can connect toy android phone, and touchpad, one that can play all sorts of music and files off a USB stick and portable hard drive, and one that can connect to the internet through WiFi and a plan connection, and will play You Tube and I can search Facebook and maybe even Thai Visa and read some newspapers over it. Thanks.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

[wikipedia: Smart TV]

"A smart TV, sometimes referred to as connected TV or hybrid TV, (not to be confused with IPTV, Internet TV, or with Web TV), describes a trend of integration of the Internet and Web 2.0 features into television sets and set-top boxes..."

[ZDNet: Smart TV: Six big features that matter - 2012]

"But, as with most other device designations, the definition of a Smart TV is a bit amorphous. Features vary, with some devices, for example, touting voice controls while others more prominently featuring the ability to sync with social networks like Facebook and Twitter. There's simply a lot going on, which is why it's helpful to take a look at six of the key features that are likely to separate the Smart TV winners from their less fortunate counterparts."

1. "A smart interface -- One of the biggest problems with televisions and the cable boxes attached to them are their interfaces. Much of it is ugly, and the rest clunky and outdated. It needs a big change. A lot of the Smart TV platforms haven't fared much better."
2. "A robust recommendation engine -- The term "Smart TV" is a bit misleading. Many televisions given the branding aren't particularly "smart"-- at least not in the sense that they exude any intelligence via features like recommendation engines. They can, of course, connect to the Internet and run apps, but a true "smart" platform would be one that would take your watching habits and use them to find you new things to watch."
3. "Over-the-top content -- Sadly, the most important feature desired in Smart TVs is the most difficult to obtain: Internet-based television programming."
4. "Cloud-based gaming -- The rise of cloud computing has had a profound affect on gaming. Services like OnLive and Gakai shift the processer burden from the console to the cloud, allowing otherwise underpowered devices to run console-quality games with few hitches."
5. "The ecosystem -- Like the smartphone, apps play a big role in the feature set of the Smart TV. Manufacturers of Smart TV platforms are going to make a big deal over how their own app ecosystems measure up compared to competitors' own. That may be a bit of a problem for consumers, who may find time and time again that their favorite app isn't available on a particular platform."
6. "Second screen compatibility -- Tablets and smartphones have given rise to a new classification dubbed "the second screen." The term describes any device that a user interacts with while watching television, and includes tablets, smartphones, and laptops. Leveraging the second screen is going to be a increasingly significant component of Smart TV ecosystems. From acting as a remote control to providing supplementary programming information, the smartphone and tablet are greatly expanding the TV-viewing experience."
C|NET: TV Buying Guide - 2014 Really good article contains:
Three rules for buying a TV
Picture quality Ps and Qs

Extras beyond picture quality

Smart TV
"Since you can connect a $50 Roku , $99 Apple TV, $150 Blu-ray player $200-$500 game console, or any number of other devices to make any TV "Smart" -- in the sense that you get access to Netflix, Amazon Instant, and the rest -- the "apps" on TVs are often redundant. That's why I want my dumb TV . All things being equal, I recommend an app-free model over its more expensive Smart brother. Things are rarely equal, however, and your next TV will likely have Smart apps whether you use them or not."
tl;dr
  • Like 2

The very term 'smart' when applied to TV's is a misnomer. I actually like the CNET report in RichCors post. The truly 'smart' boxes are those you attach, be it, Roku, AppleTv, Google Fire etc. They have all the apps you will ever need. I own two TV's, one LG one Samsung, which bill themselves as smart. I can honestly say that I haven't used any of their online functions after the first day I bought them. Buy a TV for the picture quality, and as many HDMI ports as possible, allowing you to attach as many really smart devices as you want

• Like 2

The 2 best Smart TV's on the market are Samsung and LG. Both have unique features and it's just a matter of choosing the one you like and can afford.

Both will do what you want and give you a pleasant experience. The Sammy TV's have a unique feature that allows you to upgrade the TV to current specs via a replaceable module you can purchase. I suggest to take a look at both and choose the one you feel is best for your needs.

Edited by Jeffrey346

The best way to go about it will be to go to those places that sells TVs see what you like,

talk to the sales person, note the model down and go home and search said models on

websites dedicated to Tvs reviews and once you have selected your desired model just

get the best price for it....

I bought a 42 inch rca tv for 300 dollars, connected a powerful computer to it via hdmi, and it's smart as can be. I watch all kinds of movies on it, via dvd or instant streaming, and am very happy with it.

• Like 1

I bought a 42 inch rca tv for 300 dollars, connected a powerful computer to it via hdmi, and it's smart as can be. I watch all kinds of movies on it, via dvd or instant streaming, and am very happy with it.

I did the same only I use a VGA cable. Now the TV is just a very large monitor for my computer and I can do all the things you want your expensive SMART TV to do. Just make sure the TV has an HDMI connection as well as your computer or a VGA connection which they all do now or should have, though HDMI is the newer connection.

The best way to go about it will be to go to those places that sells TVs see what you like,

talk to the sales person, note the model down and go home and search said models on

websites dedicated to Tvs reviews and once you have selected your desired model just

get the best price for it....

Good idea and I try to do that. The problem is Thai model numbers seem to be different from any TVs that have been reviewed.

The very term 'smart' when applied to TV's is a misnomer. I actually like the CNET report in RichCors post. The truly 'smart' boxes are those you attach, be it, Roku, AppleTv, Google Fire etc. They have all the apps you will ever need. I own two TV's, one LG one Samsung, which bill themselves as smart. I can honestly say that I haven't used any of their online functions after the first day I bought them. Buy a TV for the picture quality, and as many HDMI ports as possible, allowing you to attach as many really smart devices as you want

Can you recommend a smart box I can buy in Thailand that will allow me to connect to the internet via WiFi and or lan, l want to be able to use Facebook, Skype, the internet, connect my android phone and touch pad to the TV wirelessly.

Can you recommend a smart box I can buy in Thailand that will allow me to connect to the internet via WiFi and or lan, l want to be able to use Facebook, Skype, the internet, connect my android phone and touch pad to the TV wirelessly.

I have a Leotech X2 Strong smartbox. It is Android OS and can be wifi or Lan with DVI output. I only use it for a TV application but I can see hundreds of apps lurking in the background. The only problem was the controller, a bit erratic but I solved that by using a wireless mouse.

I have a Samsung 42" Smart TV and think that is very good.

The 2 best Smart TV's on the market are Samsung and LG. Both have unique features and it's just a matter of choosing the one you like and can afford.

Both will do what you want and give you a pleasant experience. The Sammy TV's have a unique feature that allows you to upgrade the TV to current specs via a replaceable module you can purchase. I suggest to take a look at both and choose the one you feel is best for your needs.

I don't think the OP will be to keen to buy another Samsung TV after his old one decided to crash. If it was me I would be looking for something more reliable.

I don't think my wife would let me. Now three and a half years later and after it crashes she informs me Samsung is not any good, as if she told me that before I bought it, which she never did. I have just found a place that might be able to fix it for a reasonable price, if so I will definitely be looking for a smart box attachment, all recommendations with prices excepted.

I second the recommendation to get an HD Screen with as many HDMI ports as possible (for DVB-S2 SAT, BD-R/DVD, IPTV/Android box, Google Chromecast, PC, Karaoke machine...)

While this means a lot of different remote controls, it does allow you to upgrade individual components independently as necessary.

Many people on the threads have suggested finding a IPTV type Box with XBMC running on it. I have one I paid 3700฿ a year ago to play with. Great for streaming movies and YouTube videos.

I recently bought the 55" LG 55LA690T 3D LED Smart TV for 52000Bath in the LG shop in Central Festival. There is a 42" version of the same (42LA690T) with same features around 30K or so. I mostly use the USB-feature of this TV as I am a movie-buff. Except for documentaries I only mate it with 720p or better.

REVIEW:

+ Picture is great. Some light bleeding is visible in dark scenes. There is a 50% more expensive Sony that does this better but looking at your budget, that is not really relevant. BBC Horizon in 1080p and the IMAX Antarctica is nothing short of amazing. Ghosting and or lag is not visible at all

+ Movies and music from USB is no problem. You can have 2 separate USB drives. I tried a WD 2TB 2.5" and tested WMA, MP3, MKV in 264, 1080p, 720p, AVI and it works like a charm. No lag.

+ Subtitles works too. However, in the latest update last week some of my videos didn’t play with subtitles...

+ The internal TV-speaker amazes. However, I have the LG 7530W 5.1 Setup to it so I never use that any longer. (Don’t by that LG home theater setup btw... it sucks.)

+ TV remembers where you last stopped a movie and asks you if you want to start from last playtime or from the beginning. This has been a really valuable feature for me as I often stop a movie... go out and do something and then back again.

+ The control to fast forward and reverse movies from USB is also very easy and quick.

+ The remote control App for Ipad is cool and works. You can watch TV on your IPAD and take it with you.. for example to another room. For example... Live football and you need to go and do something else...

+ There is a built in DVR in the TV that actually works well. However – I have not yet figured out how to tell it to record to one USB-connection and play from the other. The built in storage of 4GB fills up quickly...

+ Starts quickly. Navigation is quick. Remote is not jerky, albeit no backlight and not programmable and not compatible with LG HTS (and the LG HTS remote doesn't work on the LG TV even if the commands are on it.). I stopped to use the secondary remote because it is slower for me, but easier for someone that likes the point-and-shoot kind of navigation.

- Youtube and the Internet features are painstakingly slow. I have the 6/1 ”extra fast” Internet connection but it seems the CPU is too slow to cope with the demands of the Youtube-app. Try it but have a pillow nearby coz you will fall asleep quickly. Because compared to a computer I think ANY Smart TV will be waaaay slower than that. Just a heads-up on that kind of features...

- If you pause too many times (more than 5 or so) files will lag and you will have audio off-sync or both.

- Don't bother the 3D. Cool the first time, then it gets annoying.

- TV is addictive and I can’t stop watching movies in the night.

Overall - The best TV I have ever bought. If someone wants a review of the LG HTS 5.1 7530W I can do that too.

Edited by MRYANG

I have the Samsung UA50F6400 a 50" smart TV

Great picture

It has 4 hdmi, but I only use 1 as everything goes through my AV amp

It seems to handle all the video formats on the usb connections

I haven't tried the Smart part yet, as I already have an Android player connected that gives me all the Smarts that I need

There was recent report that LG TV's report your browsing history back to LG :bah:

I have a Samsung Series 6 "Smart" TV and so far am unable to play AVI files. (They work fine on my computer). I'm not great with computers, etc. so have not yet tried any major reprogramming of TV. Certainly not looking forward to converting AVI files into something TV can use. Hoping someone out there has an easy solution.

Thank you.

I bought last week a LG 40" LED TV, after looking in many brands and fixtures, and around 10K prices. I got it connected with a desktop computer with wireless mouse and keyboard, a PSI Sun Box, an a dvd/cd player. Still an input free for a flash drive, phone, laptop, or tablet. Everything works better than expected, very easy to control it, using 2 remotes, the TV one and the PSI one. With PSI I got 2 sun channels to see the World Cup and the Euro League, full use of Internet, E-mails, You Tube, and Skype. For about 4K more its is possible to get the 3D and wireless fixture, but not necessary for my use. I am just ready to see Brazil winning the World Cup and watch my you tube videos and pictures on a big HD screen. Using the computer camera, and on a 40" screen, I can see and talk with my grand daughter calling me from Brazil on Skype. Priceless!

I have a Samsung Series 6 "Smart" TV and so far am unable to play AVI files.

I am not sure why you have a problem

On my Samsung Series 6 Smart TV I just plug in the usb drive

The TV recognises it, and offers a menu of what to play

All

Photo

Video

Music

Click on your choice and a menu of folders and or files will appear

Click on the one you want.

AVI, MP4 MKV etc all supported

even films with DTS sound track

No programming or conversion required :D

I have a Leotech X2 Strong smartbox. It is Android OS and can be wifi or Lan with DVI output. I only use it for a TV application but I can see hundreds of apps lurking in the background. The only problem was the controller, a bit erratic but I solved that by using a wireless mouse.

I have a Samsung 42" Smart TV and think that is very good.

Hi, you said it can be wifi. Does that mean that the box can be in another room from the modem? My "modern living" condo was built for the modernity of last century. There is only one cable line into the apartment (for satellite) and one phone line in. The ADSL is connected to the phone jack. I have no flexibility to move things and for some reason the bedroom was designed to be where the living room is. I changed everything around to make it better, but to get the TV into the new living room, I had to run a 16m cable from the wall in the first room to the TV. If I get this box, will I have to do the same with either the phone line (and move the modem into the other room) or the LAN cable? Or can the box work off the wifi and be in the other room?

Thank you!

Most equipment is WiFi these days

so Yes you can have the modem in one room

and the box in another

Just make sure your WiFi is secured with a good password

then key in the password on the box as well.

I have a Samsung Series 6 "Smart" TV and so far am unable to play AVI files.

I am not sure why you have a problem

On my Samsung Series 6 Smart TV I just plug in the usb drive

The TV recognises it, and offers a menu of what to play

All

Photo

Video

Music

Click on your choice and a menu of folders and or files will appear

Click on the one you want.

AVI, MP4 MKV etc all supported

even films with DTS sound track

No programming or conversion required biggrin.png

Thank You!! That inspired me to work more on the story. it seems that when many movies and music were downloaded onto the hard drive I was using something went wrong- most of the avi files show the message "the selected file is not currently supported". The tv plays avi files with other storage devices with no problem.

Thanks again

PS when I saw the subject of this thread I knew it was for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Most equipment is WiFi these days

so Yes you can have the modem in one room

and the box in another

Just make sure your WiFi is secured with a good password

then key in the password on the box as well.

Thank you!

I just read about these neat little PCs. Might be worth looking into if you want to access the internet and play media on your TV??? I've been researching these for a few years, but the prices seem to have dropped dramatically recently. They use to be close to $400. Now under $200.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/barebone-pcs/intel/nuc-intel-qs77-2x204pin-celeron-847-2-x-hdmi-boxdccp847dye-p016303/

I just read about these neat little PCs. Might be worth looking into if you want to access the internet and play media on your TV??? I've been researching these for a few years, but the prices seem to have dropped dramatically recently. They use to be close to $400. Now under $200.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/barebone-pcs/intel/nuc-intel-qs77-2x204pin-celeron-847-2-x-hdmi-boxdccp847dye-p016303/

Problem is, that price isn't a working box - it still needs RAM, still needs some local storage for the OS, and still needs an OS and some software...

If all you really want to do is play some internet video/radio & playback files on your local network, one of those little Android boxes is all you need, and will cost you < $100

e.g. something like this for $89.00 http://global.pivosgroup.com/

• Like 1