Curfew may be lifted in Phuket and Pattaya

george

Don't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist. These 2 cities bring in a lot of money and are least likely to be sources of concern for the junta in terms of demonstrations, so no need to rock the boat there if it can be helped.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sucks if you are a bar owner, a drunk, or often both. I mean in general. Not anything to do with the current situation.

I think about the only thing that will keep tourists away is the exchange rate. The Chinese tourists don't even seem to spook that easily anymore.

Exchange rate sure seemed to knock down Euro visitors. Unfortunately they were all replaced by Russians 2 to 1. Euro is slowly making a coming back too.

Edited by lapd

If you're gonna have a curfew, have a real curfew. Not a curfew exempting "night" workers and questionable establishments, for example.

Otherwise, just admit that the curfew was just for "show"...and also admit that Thailand cannot survive without the night tourist dollars, while you're at it.

The curfew is so the military can have better utilization of their manpower.

Restricting movement at night means fewer soldiers are needed to monitor.

This is my fourth curfew in three different countries, and as curfews go, it's really not that bad.

• Like 2

why not chiang mai. things are very quite here. it will not be a problem to remove the curfew in chiang mai!

Not enough whores for us to be considered.
Base, crude and juvenile.

Funny and true. We were all thinking it, he said it. Although I think he forgot gambling and boozing. There, now we're all set.

Sorry if some can't handle bluntness.

As Gemini says, I feel it's quite true. Sure there are tons of Chinese, Russian, and other tourists. But a curfew at 12 doesn't stop them from going to beaches and sightseeing tours. They can still go out to bars from 9-12 as well. There are plenty of tourists in CM and many packed bars and clubs that really only Thais frequent. Khao Dan Road is another place. Perhaps its that they want BKK locked down and view CM as a red bastion. But Samui, Krabi, and other places are still affected. So lets look at Phuket and Pattaya and guess what activities are so important, that they need to happen between 12 and 4.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So lets look at Phuket and Pattaya and guess what activities are so important, that they need to happen between 12 and 4.

Cleaning the streets I suppose. If you haven't got your dipstick wet by 23:00, chances are you're too drunk to do anything anyway, might just as well retire to a hotel and empty the minibar. The 10pm restriction was too tough.

• Like 1

Between the lines and forget the teams doing any kind of assessments? They already know the answer but need to save face as to what they have done to their own economy?

Not official but let me take a guess, within 24 hours like tomorrow Saturday 31st.... the curfew will be lifted for Phuket and Pattaya!

IT'S OVER MOMMY!

Edited by thailand49

"I have met many Russians and Chinese who are genuine, polite and considerate"

Really?

Where?

"Many"??

For the last nine months, I have been a frequent (3-4 times a week) customer at an inside, air-conditioned, Sheesha (Tobacco water pipe) lounge on Soi 13/4 in Pattaya. A comfortable place, where you can relax and comfortably chat with people.

I've met Russians from Moscow, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and other towns and cities that I can't remember the names of. I found most to be polite, courteous and friendly. Many spoke good English and I used my IPad to communicate otherwise. They do laugh and joke, just like anyone else.

I've also met Koreans, Belorussians, Ukrainians, Iranians, Qataries, Omanies, Austrailians, Americans, Canadians, Indians, Thais, Pakistanis, etc.

With few exceptions, they were wonderful people to pass an hour or two with while engaging in conversations about our homes, pets, jobs, etc.

It is quite easy to presume, label and dislike a group based on a casual encounter that may consist merely of passing one another on the sidewalk. I would imagine I look quite "foreign" to them in some respects and perhaps act differently in social encounters.

I do, however, try to practice tolerance and accept people for what other are, regardless of their national origin, ethnicity, color, gender, sexual orientation, bigotry, narrow-mindedness and negativity.

Live and Let Live

"Travel is the lethal enemy of prejudice".

Mark Twain

You are aware that the Sheesha is illegal in Thailand aren't you?

Another one of those laws that are disregarded most of the time.

I'm not an expert on Thai law as it relates to sheesha. Please provide a link to the law. I'll share it with the restaurant owner.

I'm not the sheesha police, topic police, or any other authority. I leave that to others who are inclined to do so.

Two links for you: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3071521.stm

Also

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/107243/shisha-shakedown/district-chief-south-pattaya-entertainment-zone/

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand