Curfew may be lifted in Phuket and Pattaya

george

My best hopes, now reside..... For a change I guess, that they said it would be.... Guess it is still big money rolling...... So just maybe it is business as usual? coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif One can keep it quiet as requested, but the song remains the same, doesn't it? Two areas? The curfew may be lifted?

Good start, and poor finish, wow and it did not take long did it?

I prefer not to speculate, but only to wish for a return to peace. My personal observations and criticisms don't make any difference. This is a Thai matter for Thai people to resolve.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who was(were) the one(s) who thought - "let's impose a curfew" and then did not immediately understand in the next thought - "this will impact tourism"?

Tourism is not the military's primary concern.

I wasn't at their last staff meeting. Do you know what was discussed? If so, please share.

"I have met many Russians and Chinese who are genuine, polite and considerate"

Really?

Where?

"Many"??

For the last nine months, I have been a frequent (3-4 times a week) customer at an inside, air-conditioned, Sheesha (Tobacco water pipe) lounge on Soi 13/4 in Pattaya. A comfortable place, where you can relax and comfortably chat with people.

I've met Russians from Moscow, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and other towns and cities that I can't remember the names of. I found most to be polite, courteous and friendly. Many spoke good English and I used my IPad to communicate otherwise. They do laugh and joke, just like anyone else.

I've also met Koreans, Belorussians, Ukrainians, Iranians, Qataries, Omanies, Austrailians, Americans, Canadians, Indians, Thais, Pakistanis, etc.

With few exceptions, they were wonderful people to pass an hour or two with while engaging in conversations about our homes, pets, jobs, etc.

It is quite easy to presume, label and dislike a group based on a casual encounter that may consist merely of passing one another on the sidewalk. I would imagine I look quite "foreign" to them in some respects and perhaps act differently in social encounters.

I do, however, try to practice tolerance and accept people for what other are, regardless of their national origin, ethnicity, color, gender, sexual orientation, bigotry, narrow-mindedness and negativity.

Live and Let Live

"Travel is the lethal enemy of prejudice".

Mark Twain

• Like 1

Who was(were) the one(s) who thought - "let's impose a curfew" and then did not immediately understand in the next thought - "this will impact tourism"?

I wasn't at their last staff meeting. Do you know what was discussed? If so, please share.

I share all I can.

If tourism is the military's primary concern, the military is doing an exceptional job containing the Reds.

Yeah, but can we have the telly back?

Sick to death of SyFy and Universal.

And what is up with sports my cable has blocked even the golf channel. I was unaware that it was a hotbed of sedition.

It might be the service provider. True digital required a software update before they could restrict their block to BBC & CNN.

My vacation is saved! (Because it's all about me you know...) w00t.gif

Seriously, though. I'm happy that they are slowly loosening the reins. For better or worse, Pattaya depends HEAVILY on the tourism dollars.

That would be sex tourism dollars

Sex has been medically proven to improve your health. It improves your respiratory system, It burns over 600 calories per hour, anatomically it reduces body fat and toughens up the butt cheeks, SO lets call it medical tourism if you please.

Also very good for the wrist muscles!

I live a lonely life!

• Like 1

Really?

Where?

"Many"??

For the last nine months, I have been a frequent (3-4 times a week) customer at an inside, air-conditioned, Sheesha (Tobacco water pipe) lounge on Soi 13/4 in Pattaya. A comfortable place, where you can relax and comfortably chat with people.

I've met Russians from Moscow, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and other towns and cities that I can't remember the names of. I found most to be polite, courteous and friendly. Many spoke good English and I used my IPad to communicate otherwise. They do laugh and joke, just like anyone else.

I've also met Koreans, Belorussians, Ukrainians, Iranians, Qataries, Omanies, Austrailians, Americans, Canadians, Indians, Thais, Pakistanis, etc.

With few exceptions, they were wonderful people to pass an hour or two with while engaging in conversations about our homes, pets, jobs, etc.

It is quite easy to presume, label and dislike a group based on a casual encounter that may consist merely of passing one another on the sidewalk. I would imagine I look quite "foreign" to them in some respects and perhaps act differently in social encounters.

I do, however, try to practice tolerance and accept people for what other are, regardless of their national origin, ethnicity, color, gender, sexual orientation, bigotry, narrow-mindedness and negativity.

Live and Let Live

Mark Twain

You are aware that the Sheesha is illegal in Thailand aren't you?

Another one of those laws that are disregarded most of the time.

Say it ain't so! Sheesha is my one vice. Double apple yumminess. Sigh.

But again, the curfew is hurting the people of Pattaya. Not the tourists (they'll get it where they can regardless of any curfew) but the people that live and work in the tourism trade. And, it's not all the sex...err...medical trade, either. Plenty of people make their money running taxis, renting out hotel rooms, hustling on the beaches, etc.

• Like 1

Really?

Where?

"Many"??

Live and Let Live

Mark Twain

You are aware that the Sheesha is illegal in Thailand aren't you?

Another one of those laws that are disregarded most of the time.

I'm not an expert on Thai law as it relates to sheesha. Please provide a link to the law. I'll share it with the restaurant owner.

I'm not the sheesha police, topic police, or any other authority. I leave that to others who are inclined to do so.

Im at a loss to understand what the various laws have to do with my post about the friendliness of Russians, etc? I suffered from ADD until I sought medical help. I feel much better and stay focused most of the time.

Edited by Benmart

Seriously, though. I'm happy that they are slowly loosening the reins. For better or worse, Pattaya depends HEAVILY on the tourism dollars.

Of course. I don't think there's anyone out there that isn't aware of that. Although there are other things to do in Pattaya, that's a huge part of it. But, at the same time, all those sexed up tourists have to eat and sleep somewhere. So, there's also money being spent there that isn't directly tied to Walking Street.

Well it can't be the beach. I've seen more sand on a building site and cleaner too.

why not chiang mai. things are very quite here. it will not be a problem to remove the curfew in chiang mai!

why not chiang mai. things are very quite here.

Quite what?

I love all these comments about sex tourism in Pattaya. Don't people realise that the main visitors to Pattaya are Chinese and Russian and these nationalities are not usually seen in beer bars or go-go bars, they're in Pattaya for other reasons. Of course there is sex tourism, the same as there is in Bangkok where the "Holier than though" preach from, but the vast demographic are not here to get their rocks off.

Yes "oddly" the Holier than thou types seem to only know about the bars and gogos in Pattaya. Their extensive knowledge of this one small aspect of life in Pattaya is somewhat suspicious. Haven't been in or near a bar here in many years of living here and don't know anyone else who has. Apparently they're only frequented by people from out of town who've come here to gather "facts" in order to complain about the bars and gogos.

It's because the Holier than thou types are totally fascinated with other peoples sex habits and can't stand it that other people might be having more pleasure than they are.

• Like 2

I share all I can.

If tourism is the military's primary concern, the military is doing an exceptional job containing the Reds.

Thank you for sharing. The TV Forum is a wonderful place for the exchange of ideas, information and experiences.

Based on reading news releases from the NCPO, it doesn't appear that tourism is the military's "primary" concern.

I've provided this for your convenience.

National Peace and Order Maintaining Council Announcement 1/2014

Subject : To control the national administration

Severe incidents in Bangkok and many other areas nationwide, have caused a loss of innocent lives, people have been wounded and there has been a loss of assets. The situation seems to escalate with ever more conflicts and it is affecting national security, lives and assets of the public.

In order to restore the situation,the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (POMC) which consists of the Royal Thai Army, Royal Thai Armed Forces Headquarters, Royal Thai Navy, Royal Thai Air Force and Royal Thai Police must proceed to control the national administration from 22nd May 2014 from 16.30 onward. br>

However, Thai people are requested to continue with their daily lives and work as usual, as should all government officers and officials.

Military officials, police officers, volunteers and other government officials who are armed with weapons are strictly prohibited from moving their troops and weapons unless they receive an order to do so from the Head of POMC only.

As for the diplomatic corps, Consulates, International organizations and foreign residents, POMC gives an assurance of your safety and protection. Moreover, POMC affirms that the relationship between Thailand and other countries remains the same as with the former government. POMC adheres to fidelity to protect and maintain the Royal Institution, which is the spiritual center of all Thais.

Announcement on 22 May 2014

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

I would be interested in seeing the research data on this. Many claim that the sex industry drives the Pattaya economy, but they are unable to support the claim.

I'm disappointed by the lack of substance and the abundance of similar rhetoric.

This is awful. It means the traffic in Pattaya will gridlock completely from Friday until Sunday when the BKK hordes descend upon us. Time to restock the fridge.

Sack leaving BKK for Pattaya! Dump.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sex tourism saves the day again.

The good General knows what really fuels the tourist areas, and it isn't the beaches.

Remember the general also need some time off...

Edited by balo

Great. Just my musing: now the noisy venues are allowed to start banging from 8 pm (warming up started at 5:30 pm yesterday). It's exactly the time when people are about to relax, watch TV, do homework etc. Our street sounds like an open air party sponsored by the night club nearby. People are nervous and puzzled, yet no one complains as they are scared of certain .......... When I say insane it's still too soft to describe this. How can they grant permission for this???

This is what people deserve??? This is now the peace??

Really?

Where?

"Many"??

I have had the same experience and have a few Russian friends and many Chinese friends.

I have met a lot of Farang I wouldn't give the time of day.

Really?

Where?

"Many"??

Do you consider yourself more polite, more genuine and more considerate than Chinese and Russians?

Wonder why a post like this is not deleted by moderators.

Really?

Where?

"Many"??

I have had the same experience and have a few Russian friends and many Chinese friends.

I have met a lot of Farang I wouldn't give the time of day.

I came here to get away from forang but they have followed me

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

What about samui the tropical island on the east cost ????

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Hearsay only, but i have been told Samui has not been adhering to the curfew.

Narrow minded comment. More Koreans and Chinese visit Pattaya than Americans.

They do not frequent the sex spots or spend dollars.

Even when it comes to the sex industry I suspect the dollar trails behind the Rouble and the Euro.

• Like 1