Curfew may be lifted in Phuket and Pattaya

george

Curfew may be lifted in Phuket and Pattaya
x5-28-2014-8-46-11-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg.p

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) is considering lifting the midnight to 4 .00 a.m. curfew in Phuket and Pattaya after realizing its negative impact on the country’s tourism which contribute up to 10% of GDP.

NCPO deputy spokesman Col Nattawat Chancharoen said consideration of the curfew lift came after the NCPO head Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha received complaints from the private sector of inconvenience and negative impact felt by businesses in tourist-frequented province, and dropping revenues.

The businesses include entertain places, restaurants and nightspots.

The army deputy spokesman said that Gen Prayuth has instructed his working groups on economic and security affairs to assess the situation in these tourist-frequented provinces namely Phuket and Pattaya.

He said the NCPO head indicated of lifting the night curfew to restore tourism in provinces where there is no coup resistance.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry revealed recently that although the number of foreign tourists would decline after martial law was declared, Chinese tourists who were then in Pattaya did not rush home as they were told by their government, the spokesman said.

This was obviously because the Chinese tourists did not see any harm and violence in Thailand even after the coup, he said.

He added several teams would be sent to various tourist destinations to assess the situation. If the situation in those areas is normal, the curfew may be lifted selectively, adding that decision would be expected next week.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-28

• Like 1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About time.......GoGo, Beer Bar and Soi 6 Bar owners in Pattaya are being uniformly hurt economically, as well as the girls and on and on downstream.....not much Pheu Thai down here..........

Let's get it back to normal ......the night before the coup, at 2AM, Nana was rocking.......I took a 7am flight to Manila, just in time biggrin.pngclap2.gif

• Like 2

If I were Thai, this wouldn't be endearing me to the powers that be. In the little one soi village next to us the army rolls theough every night, ordering people home at 9pm. Small businesses are losing money, people are being dragooned in their own street. Meanwhile, got to keep the tourists happy. Whose country is it anyway?

• Like 2

CURFEW
Army eyes lifting curfew in tourist areas

Nakarin Srilert
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The military is thinking about lifting the curfew in tourist destinations such as Phuket and Pattaya, provided there are no signs of unrest in those areas.

Colonel Nattawat Chancharoen, deputy spokesman of the National Council for Peace and Order, said yesterday that this came after the NCPO's chief, General Prayuth Chan-ocha, was told about how the nationwide curfew was hurting businesses badly. The 10pm-to-5am curfew had been particularly tough on restaurants, entertainment venues and other tourism-related businesses.

The curfew hours were shortened yesterday to midnight to 4am.

Meanwhile, the NCPO has assigned working committees in charge of the economy and security to assess the situation in tourist destinations.

"If there are no signs of unrest or anti-coup protests, then the NCPO might consider cancelling the curfew on a case-by-case basis," the spokesman said, adding that a decision on the matter should be made by next week.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry recently reported that the number of tourist arrivals had dropped since martial law was declared on May 19. Still, some 4,000 Chinese tourists went ahead with their travel itinerary, which included Pattaya, despite an advisory from the Chinese government.

The Federation of Thai Industries, meanwhile, has lowered this year's target for tourist arrivals to 26.8 million from 28 million mainly because of the political unrest.

Shops open longer

Separately, Robinson and Central department stores in Bangkok and elsewhere will now close at 10pm, as well as all branches of The Mall, the Emporium and Siam Paragon.

Convenience stores such as 7-Eleven and FamilyMart will also close at midnight instead of 10pm.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-29

Look at Udon and Nong Khai, we get tons of tourists flowing through here, to cross the border at Nong Khai. Sometimes flying in later in the day, into Udon before arriving in Nong Khai. How do they manage? Basically, it would have to, by definition, include all the border crossing areas. Vientiane is one of the more popular places to get a double entry tourist visa...as well as other types

I would say...the lower end business owners (the ones who just barely make it, such as independant guest houses, small cafe's/bars) are the ones suffering the most. These are the types found, especially, near the border areas, national parks, train stops, etc. Hope they are not left out in the cold.

However, it seems they will be focusing on the Sex Industry (Centered in Pattaya/Phuket). As they thrive during the wee hours of the morning..

Other businesses mostly are closed during curfew hours anyways.

The legacy continues.

Edited by slipperylobster

Acting like a real dictator this Prayuth: Imposes a curfew, listens to local complaints, then lifts curfew.

I miss the democratic PTP: Proposes amnesty bill, locals (PTP constituents) protest, PTP proceeds with enacting new bill...

Edited by SABloke
  • Like 2

I can still drink in a bar on Soi 8 here in Patts all night long if I so desire - and I mean all night. Seeing the sun come up at that particular bar is a prospect that sends shivers down my spine, but the owner told me he is open 'all day and all night' - dont know what sort of tea money the BiB want for that level of access, but clearly it's there for those who want it badly enough. Chinese Thais know how to make things happen - little wonder they are at the top of the foodchain in this country.