Bangkok traffic e-tickets coming soon

webfact

Bangkok traffic e-tickets coming soon
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An electronic traffic-ticketing system will be soon adopted in Bangkok for quicker processing and more accurate information on both offenders and traffic police.

The e-ticket system can also identify motorists who are wanted for crimes or who use a fake licence or another driver's licence, senior traffic police officer| Pol Colonel Sitthisak Phongthanarak said yesterday.

The detection of motorists using an improper licence can also help fight crime, as this database would be merged with police's main criminal records database.

This system underwent a trial four years ago in nine Bangkok police precincts involving 15 units. Battery life was found to be too short and the font on the tickets were too small, but those problems have been fixed.

The e-ticket system involving 1,300 units will be in used along with a new traffic campaign against parking violations in place of the wheel-locking measure.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-29

• Like 1

A means of moving cash past front line cops and into a computerised system. A forward step. E-ticket thanks. Perhaps traffic enforcement will start being for enforcement purpopse and not tea money. Will also do away with just about being arrested for not meeting the cops first demand.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

e-ticket would be a good start but may I also suggest cameras at every traffic light which direct snaps for speeding, driving over red, driving on pavements etc.

Cops in Oz are using helmet and dash cams, WA has no licence stickers, all done by computer gun aimed at the number plate, BMW bikes have keypads all operated by a human, so if the money is placed in the hip pocket and no receipt is issued , no one will ever know , I rest my case.

"This system underwent a trial four years ago in nine Bangkok police precincts involving 15 units. Battery life was found to be too short and the font on the tickets were too small, but those problems have been fixed"

or

​"Couldn't find a way to override the system so as to manipulate 'tea money subscription', took us a while but that's been sorted, so we keen to launch"

" An electronic traffic-ticketing system will be soon adopted in Bangkok for quicker processing and more accurate information on both offenders and traffic police."

Great news!!! Now you won't have to carry any money with you since E-Bribes will follow soon with your new tea money app on i Phone.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Any system is as good as the people who operate them, and when it comes to the locals

using new technology, well, good luck to them making it work properly,

"Locals" are incapable of operating any kind of technology? Are you nuts or just jumping on the bashing bandwagon?

So how much to not be issued an e-ticket?

Well In addition to the new system they should instruct undercover offenders to catch out corrupt cops.

Offending cops should then be stripped of their badge on the spot.

Plain and simple.

• Like 2

Glad to see progress.

As for the nattering nabobs of negativism. You are fortunate to have the TVF to spew your hate, negativity, bigotry and sadness.

I am fortunate to live in a paralell world that focuses on tolerance, acceptance, positive thinking, happiness, peace and contentment.

I've been to the dark side and I'll stay where I am.

One Day At A Time.

Finally. A good move to bring Thailand's police force closer into the 21st century. Next should be proper electronic tolling on tollways with e-tags like in Singapore and Australia. The current "easy pass" really isn't that easy and does little to alleviate congestion. E-tags allow you to pass through the toll gates without stopping; cameras take pictures of vehicles that may have passed through without an e-tag and allows them to pay later on online (usually within a period of 48-72 hours).

I recognize that some so-called developed countries like Italy and Poland still accept cash, credit cards or use a similar easy pass system that requires a motorist to basically stop to tap their cards for collection of highway tolls, but I think Thailand should adopt the forefront of technology and thus follow more advanced countries like Australia and Singapore, which do these things electronically with much greater efficiency.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

The issue of traffic cops and tea money needs a little closer examination.

Personally, the times I have been stopped by the traffic cops, I’ve been in the wrong. I then simply pay them a small amount to let it go.

From a selfish perspective, I actually welcome the opportunity to be able to get it all over and done with. In the UK, a ticket would be issued, I would have to go to a police station to produce my license, and possibly pick up a few points on my license at the same time. Paying the cops, saves me time and money, and I learn my lesson.

But the issue is more than simple convenience – it’s about preventing the state becoming a legalized omnipotent thug, who uses the letter of the law to raise revenues, while ignoring the spirit of the law.

In the UK, where the state gets money from fining motorists, the situation is that motoring laws have become an easy revenue earner – extortion under the guise of legislation become widespread.

The classic example is that of speed cameras.

The majority of speed cameras are set up on straight motorways or dual carriageways for the sole purpose of raising revenue from fines. The system is so out of control that there are areas in the UK where you could lose your license by driving for 77 mph (assuming a 10% margin) for more than two miles. Yet how many speed cameras do you see in council estates where there are twisty road with blind spots where children play?

Of course many people will disagree with me, but my point is this.

Corruption is of course a social evil, but in the case of minor traffic offences, I’d rather pay the officer, than the state, because the state has the incentive and resources to turn this into a national extortion scheme that feels like Big Brother.

As an idea, I’d let officers keep the money, limited to 100bt, to fine certain traffic offences, such as parking, skipping lights, blocking junctions, because its these things that cause transport problems and traffic jams that hurt the economy directly

This will guarantee that these are enforced strictly and free up Bangkok traffic more than any e ticket scheme that is still being tested and costs so much.

• Like 2

e-ticket would be a good start but may I also suggest cameras at every traffic light which direct snaps for speeding, driving over red, driving on pavements etc.

On its way.

My wife got a speeding ticket through the post over a year ago. It was from a camera on the No9 and there was a very clear photo of the number plate.

Tried to blame her brother but then conceded it might have been her.

Glad to see progress.

As for the nattering nabobs of negativism. You are fortunate to have the TVF to spew your hate, negativity, bigotry and sadness.

I am fortunate to live in a paralell world that focuses on tolerance, acceptance, positive thinking, happiness, peace and contentment.

I've been to the dark side and I'll stay where I am.

One Day At A Time.

"As for the nattering nabobs of negativism"

I don't miss him one bit!

"This system underwent a trial four years ago in nine Bangkok police precincts involving 15 units. Battery life was found to be too short and the font on the tickets were too small, but those problems have been fixed"

or

​"Couldn't find a way to override the system so as to manipulate 'tea money subscription', took us a while but that's been sorted, so we keen to launch"

Too bad the batteries couldn't draw power from the negative enegry being released by some TVF posters.

Seems that the critics know more about less and less about more.

Edited by Benmart

I cannot for moment believe that an e-ticket system will ever be used here, simply because a well-designed system would use a co-located RAID server (not onsite to any precinct) and include automated backups that are stored in a secured location. If set up properly, it makes deleting tickets to influential people almost impossible to delete.

It's the same reason the schools's do NOT want good automation -- those dead foreign teachers on the payroll are a hefty bonus each month.

Amazing Thailand.