Drinking water from plastic bottles in cars safe

webfact

HEALTH
Drinking from plastic bottles left in cars not dangerous

BANGKOK: -- Drinking water from plastic bottles that have grown hot when being left in cars is safe, according to the Department of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Public Health.

The announcement was made on Monday by Dr Aphichai Mongkol, Director General of the Department of Medical Science.

Emails, now dismissed as hoaxes, have been doing the rounds for a few years warning about the socalled dangers of plastic bottles, containers and films. The emails generally claim that reusing water bottles that have grown hot releases cancercausing chemicals called dioxins.

A study by Department of Medical Science found no dangers in drinking water from heated plastic bottles.

The experiment was conducted on 18 different brands of drinking water available in the market. The health scientists left the plastic bottles in the cars for one day and seven days before studying the cancercausing chemicals. They found no traces of dioxins.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-03

That's all right then. Just drink that manky old water that's been heated up 10 times in the sun.

Just make sure there's a toilet handy as there may be an urgent need and don't forget the paperwork.

• Like 1

When you do water testing, you have to test specificly, for each trace element you are looking for and there are over 300 different elements which are bad for you in water from a plastic bottle. You cant just put a water bottle in a car for a month or more and then take it out an say now lets test it for chemicals. Not possible.

If the pH-Value are 6.5 or 7 its safe to drink no chemicals are in the water. If the pH-Value on water is lower or higher dont drink it since heavy metals are water soluable. If it is ass low as 3.5 in pH there is Aluminiom or Cadmium in it and that is pure poison.

a Good rule is dont lets water get over 70 degrees C in a plastic bottle, since that is also when some chemicals get released into the water. But its your life. I know I am not drinking water left in a hot car, for many days. biggrin.png

Cheers

I wondered when the tin foil hatter's were going to turn up on this thread...thumbsup.gif

I drink BANGKOK TAPWATER and I'm still alive.

• Like 1

When you do water testing, you have to test specificly, for each trace element you are looking for and there are over 300 different elements which are bad for you in water from a plastic bottle. You cant just put a water bottle in a car for a month or more and then take it out an say now lets test it for chemicals. Not possible.

If the pH-Value are 6.5 or 7 its safe to drink no chemicals are in the water. If the pH-Value on water is lower or higher dont drink it since heavy metals are water soluable. If it is ass low as 3.5 in pH there is Aluminiom or Cadmium in it and that is pure poison.

a Good rule is dont lets water get over 70 degrees C in a plastic bottle, since that is also when some chemicals get released into the water. But its your life. I know I am not drinking water left in a hot car, for many days. biggrin.png

Cheers

I wondered when the tin foil hatter's were going to turn up on this thread...thumbsup.gif

Too bad you can't read your autopsy report wink.png

• Like 1

Cheers

but I am sure you have seen your mental health report ?...or at least discussed it with your health professional

• Like 1

Cheers

Those silly Thai scientists...probably just drank the water and if they didn't get the runs declared the water carcinogen free. I'll forward your post to the Director General so that he can teach them how to do their jobs :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Cheers

OK so now we all walk around carrying a PH meter, get real, also there are virtually no trace metals in plastic bottles. As a chemical pathologist I tested many a plastic bottle and did not find any problems. If it became 3.5 or lower then you have real problems as it would be acidic probably stronger than vinegar.

but I am sure you have seen your mental health report ?...or at least discussed it with your health professional

Actually, the water intake to Bangkok reticulation is potable water meeting international drinking water standards. However, the reticulation system is very old and the outlet is contaminated with iron, copper and whatever else is in the pipe system... I use a tapside filter and the result makes damned good coffee.... but I do not think I would try to drink straight out of the sink tap!

What about all the plastic bottles of water for sale in every shop here? Reckon they've been out in the sun before they got to the shop......

And those freebies at petrol stations are usually stored in the sun. Mine go straight in the trash, after emptying on the lawn.

• Like 1

hahaha

this is over the top

so lets invite some of those academics that claim this...

it has been proven that those plastics can leech into the water or food ...

thainess, no need for a degree, if you bought one

Cheers

Not true at all.

Studies have looked into these claims and found there is nothing leaches out of the plastic bottle when left in the sun in the car.

"You cant just put a water bottle in a car for a month or more and then take it out an say now lets test it for chemicals. Not possible." What rubbish - what difference does it make where the water has been - that's the reason you are testing it - and the reason tests don't show anything is because it is not there.

Where did all the Aluminium and Cadmium come from? If the water had a pH of 3.5 after just sitting in the sun, there is something MUCH more going on, and it's got nothing to do with being in the sun - please study chemistry before making claims like this and spreading this pseudo-science.

• Like 1